Awoo.

Sonictrainer

D0avT77VsAA65iy.jpg

On February 27, 2019, a Pokémon Direct revealed the new Pokémon games for Generation 8: Sword & Shield.

Unsheathe your sword and take up your shield!

The world of Pokémon expands to include the Galar region in Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, coming in late 2019! Leave a comment below to let us know which Pokémon you’re excited to begin your newest adventure with! http://bit.ly/2tCrn8G

(Note: For some odd reason I can't post regular scaled YouTube Videos in this post.)

Meaning they haven't actually started it yet, but hey. Nice to know something that was always inevitable I suppose.

I suppose this means Generation 7 will be a "quickie" like 5 was. There's no way a new game on a new system wouldn't signify Gen 8.

2 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

I suppose this means Generation 7 will be a "quickie" like 5 was. There's no way a new game on a new system wouldn't signify Gen 8.

A part of me thinks differently and that it might be the DP remakes, or even a sort of SM port.  I mean if they're releasing next Christmas, then that means 7 will have lasted just two years.  I know it would explain why the Ultra versions are releasing so soon, but I feel doubtful they'd be so quick to make that big a decision.

More than likely a port of Ultra Sun and Moon, called Pokemon Eclipse. There was a leak a while back that predicted everything and was 100% correct, right down to the release date even. 

Nah I'm thinking this will be the next generation after Sun/Moon.

Was that Pokémon game on GameCube officially classified as main game too?

3 minutes ago, Mark1 said:

Nah I'm thinking this will be the next generation after Sun/Moon.

Was that Pokémon game on GameCube officially classified as main game too?

If you mean Colosseum and Gale of Darkness, they're side series titles.

"Core series" refers to the "version" games, "side-series" refers to games that are heavily compatible with them (like the Stadium games, and storage titles like Pokemon Bank).

I know I'd like something similar to those Gamecube games in terms of visuals for a main series title. If it somehow is a 2018 title, January is probably where our first look will come.

During the E3 goings-on it was revealed by Tsunekazu Ishihara of Pokemon Inc. that a core RPG title in the Pokemon franchise is coming to the Nintendo Switch.

"GameFreak has begun developing a core RPG Pokemon title on Nintendo Switch."

"It may not release for more than a year, but we hope you look forward to it all the same."

What do you think this hints toward? A legitimate entry into the main-series, or perhaps another RPG title more along the lines of Colosseum and XD?

1 minute ago, Reficul said:

Core means main games.

Colosseum and Gale of Darkness where spin-offs.

I think they COULD be considered a "Core RPG" series of their own, not sure though. I've no idea what they're alluding toward in this but I'm betting on something as a sequel to XD since the end was, in a way, a potential cliffhanger.

If that's happening, I hope we can transfer Pokemon to the game to earn whatever ribbons it has. I've been loading a ton of ribbons onto my core team since X/Y.

A real console Pokemon game! They're only...

when was the n64 released? 1996?

21 years late! And it only took Nintendo doing something as crazy as mashing together their console and handhelds to do it.

1 minute ago, Paaaaaaaa said:

21 years late! And it only took Nintendo doing something as crazy as mashing together their console and handhelds to do it.

Again, this alludes to two things, either a main-series game or a new addition to their more RPG focused series ala XD and there's also the Explorers series.

It could be anything, I want to believe it's a legitimate main-series entry at last, but I'm expecting an XD sequel.

14 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I think they COULD be considered a "Core RPG" series of their own, not sure though. I've no idea what they're alluding toward in this but I'm betting on something as a sequel to XD since the end was, in a way, a potential cliffhanger.

If that's happening, I hope we can transfer Pokemon to the game to earn whatever ribbons it has. I've been loading a ton of ribbons onto my core team since X/Y.

They're alluring to a main series game, that was the whole point of the announcement.

If they where teasing anything other than that they wouldn't blatantly drop the word core, because games that haven't got a sequel in 12 years sure as hell aren't what I'd call core.

11 minutes ago, Paaaaaaaa said:

If Nintendo never went through with the concept, GameFreak wouldn't have ever touched a home console with a core series game and if Nintendo moves on to separate home and handheld devices after the Switch, they'll absolutely go back to only releasing them on the handhelds again.

Either way, I'm sure the masses won't be happy with the game. Most are expecting something like a MMO or something on the levels of Final Fantasy XV's graphics and open world gameplay while GameFreak is really reluctant to move away from their 20 years old formula.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Reficul said:

If they where teasing anything other than that they wouldn't blatantly drop the word core,

I don't know. The reception of Ultra Moon and Ultra Sun with no word on a console title beyond Pokken had Pokemon Inc. getting blasted from all sides, likely more-so than anytime in the past with the whole "portable home console" thing critics were ranting about, so it could have been a cornered aspect that made them say there's something new from Pokemon coming to consoles beyond Pokken.

I could be and HOPE that I am wrong, but I'm just keeping a watch on my expectations, which is sitting on an XD or Explorers type of sequel, then if we DO get a main game on the Switch, the next-generation, then yeah, crap will be in my britches that day, and lots of it.

they'll absolutely go back to only releasing them on the handhelds again.

They will of course, but again, not without a MASSIVE amount of backlash for opting back in to poorer performing hardware, unless we get something along the lines of the Vita out of Nintendo's next handheld once the Switch is finished.

Most are expecting something like a MMO or something on the levels of Final Fantasy XV's graphics and open world gameplay while GameFreak is really reluctant to move away from their 20 years old formula.

Not really, most just want a Pokemon main-series entry that looks absolutely jaw-droppingly gorgeous and is a little more open, nobody is expecting some super-massive open world like the series you mentioned or Breath of the Wild for instance. Really what folks seem to want is a better looking game with Pokemon roaming the over world more naturally.

10 minutes ago, Reficul said:

If Nintendo never went through with the concept, GameFreak wouldn't have ever touched a home console with a core series game and if Nintendo moves on to separate home and handheld devices after the Switch, they'll absolutely go back to only releasing them on the handhelds again.

Either way, I'm sure the masses won't be happy with the game. Most are expecting something like a MMO or something on the levels of Final Fantasy XV's graphics and open world gameplay while GameFreak is really reluctant to move away from their 20 years old formula.

Probably, and all of this is a very big problem for Pokemon. Maybe if they started putting real Pokemon games on consoles much earlier they would have actually evolved.

12 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Not really, most just want a Pokemon main-series entry that looks absolutely jaw-droppingly gorgeous and is a little more open, nobody is expecting some super-massive open world like the series you mentioned or Breath of the Wild for instance. Rally what folks want is a better looking game with Pokemon roaming the over world more naturally.

I would keep my expectations low, like, early PS3 low.

GameFreak was already panicking when they had to actually move to the 3DS and we got this shit as an end product:

y1VWjN2.png

Sure S&M looked much better, at least compared to the 6th gen games, but we did see that they where way out of their comfort zone by leaving sprites behind.

The journey from actual reveal to release of their first in-house HD Pokémon title will be a damn wild ride to witness, way more than XY where, that's for sure.

It's going to be a core title. Question is, WHAT will this core title be.

It it way soon for a Gen VIII; we haven't even reached a full year of the current generation. On the hand, it was noted that we're not gonna see this Switch-developed title released for well over a year. We may get something like a reveal trailer by roughly the fall/winter next year, which by then it'll be two years of Generation VII. We just have to wait and see.

or it could be diamond and pearl remakes heading there releasing in 2019 hyuk

2 hours ago, TCB said:

or it could be diamond and pearl remakes heading there releasing in 2019 hyuk

There, now I can see it, you guys gotta quit that. lol

Anyways, now that you bring that up, I'm putting in a guess that the FIRST project that's this "core" experience on the Switch MIGHT just be the Diamond/Pearl remakes, or sequels... ORAS were technically sequels to Ruby and Sapphire, right?

We COULD be getting the remakes on Switch first, then the legit next-gen Pokemon titles after that, this way they can experiment and garner experience with more powerful hardware (FINALLY!!) then put all that know how into the next generation titles.

I'd prefer the Switch games to be Gen 8, Gamefreak could do a lot of cool stuff with that hardware and with how much of a shitshow Gen 7 has been so far, I'd prefer it end as soon as possible.

I don't think it's coming next year either. Pokemon takes a year off during each generation, and I don't see 2018 being any different. Once 2019 hits, Generation 7 will be on it's third year, and that's when I think they'll blow this thing out. 

57 minutes ago, ZinogreVolt said:

I'd prefer the Switch games to be Gen 8, Gamefreak could do a lot of cool stuff with that hardware and with how much of a shitshow Gen 7 has been so far, I'd prefer it end as soon as possible.

I just hate how the only things there is to do with your Pokemon is just fighting and feeding them beans or whatever.

I liked X/Y and ORAS because it became a much more "My Life With My Pokemon" experience, it broke away from the battle centric focus that had been keeping the series in a rut for me over the years.

Playing mini-games with them, having contests, getting to make videos with them, even playing soccer with them basically.

Now it's just fight, beans, fight beans, brush the dirt off.

They might have boosted the visuals but a pretty game doesn't mean sh@t to me compared to features which should always come before anything.

If all you have is a pretty picture to look at with nothing but the bare necessities lazily thrown in, to hell with that.

Another thing that miffed me was how I was watching clips and reading friggin' WALLS of texts between a TON of characters more than I was actually playing.

By the time I finished the main story of Sun and Moon the game was WAY past the point of irking my nerves.

Then that's when I found out even the post-game is total crap too, there's nothing except the OP'd as f@$k battle tree and that Z cell hunt mess.

Granted you have the Ultra Beast thing but that was the same as the Z cell hunting basically, not to mention MORE walls of text.

X/Y and ORAS game you a TON of features that didn't involve battling with your Pokemon AND they upped the graphics with stories that didn't take up as much time and were STILL more enjoyable.

This isn't even going into how the Festival Plaza ruined everything revolving online, that's a monstrosity of its own.

I mainly dislike Sun and Moon because of how anti-Pokémon it is. Sure, the core gameplay is the same but a lot of the values of the series has been lost on this game. No longer is it about discovering a lot of the world by yourself and your Pokemon, now its about helping out some moe blob with her mommy issues with cutscenes that just never seem to end or lighten up. This is even reflected in the game's world design which is now incredibly simplified and boring. With Generation 8 on the Switch, I'm hoping the series will go back to its roots and understand just what made the games so fun to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 2