Awoo.

Sonictrainer

2 hours ago, Son-icka said:

Wow, 24k dislikes to 12k likes. What a bunch of self entitled goofs some people are. Got to feel for gamefreak. 

That poor videogame developer behind a series that has made billions of dollars. All they wanted to do was make a sequel now even more unnecessarily split into two games that will probably clear ten million copies.. How dare the consumers pick on them for their made up reasoning attempting justify their traditional and seemingly inherent laziness.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

5 hours ago, Soniman said:

Delaying a game is a rational option for just a video game series. But pokemon is a franchise. They have toys to sell, events to plan, the corresponding anime series to release along side the games. All these things need to come out at around the same time as to have the most effective marketing strike possible, which is why Delaying it is probably impossible for them at this juncture. To much money to lose I assume 

Yeah it's unfortunate, but Pokemon being a multimedia franchise makes it unlikely they'd delay a main series game, I didn't think about this until earlier but it'd probably be more difficult than you'd think for them to even plan for a break in the future. It'd be doable of course but it seems like TPC isn't particularly interested, which sucks for...uh, literally everyone, including GF lol.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Son-icka said:

In my opinion I think it is Totally the right call they’ve made. Exclusive Pokemon only (and favourites returning) is the best move. It means we can get used to the newer Pokemon in this region and game than rely on the past.

That's a mute point. Pokemon Home isn't launching until some undefined point in 2020, so you may well have up to a full year to enjoy and get used to the Galar regions new faces before any of that is threatened by the tidal wave of old vanguards being ported up from older games. Protecting the experience was never a question of the matter because, at least for this game, there is nothing threatening that experience at launch or in the short or mid term. Everyone, regardless of desire, will be locked into the Galar region exclusives.

What this mandate does is burn out the long game. When Home does become available, we won't have access to the X number of pokemon that don't make the cut. Any and all Poke fans will have long since worked their way through every inch of Galar by then. Who are you protecting? The pokemon newbie who was a late adopter and likely wouldn't have home or a back catalog of tanks to pull from anyway? C'mon man.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

Source

Some further details about Pokémon Sword & Shield were revealed in Famitsu. Within the interview with Masuda and Ohmori, it was confirmed that there is currently no decision to bring the existing Pokémon that can't be in Sword & Shield back into the game using patches, but those that don't will still have an active role in Pokémon HOME. It also stated that Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves will not appear in Sword & Shield

Implying HOME will have other features besides being a storage system.

21 hours ago, Son-icka said:

Wow, 24k dislikes to 12k likes. What a bunch of self entitled goofs some people are. Got to feel for gamefreak. 

In my opinion I think it is Totally the right call they’ve made. Exclusive Pokemon only (and favourites returning) is the best move. It means we can get used to the newer Pokemon in this region and game than rely on the past. 

Lets be honest here, eventually they’ll probably all be available to use in the future through post game updates. But how can you expect a team to ready for launch this soon with over 800 of these bloody critters. That’s just insane. It’s also incredibly off-putting to me.

I haven’t played a mainline series title in a while and am thinking of returning with this entry. That they are streamlining the ‘Mon and having Galar only is a huge relief and big appeal. 

Pokemon is one of the world's all time top selling video game series... They don't need people feeling sorry nor defending them over their bad choices that they purposely made when they are literally swimming in money. And insulting a fairly big portion of the fanbase doesn't make you look cool. The games all this time have been set up to make people sentimental over their Pokemon collection and in fact encouraged it... so the dev team coming out of nowhere and saying they are axing one of main appeals of the series for certain fans is not a great move and it is a no brainier why many people are upset or at least disappointed over it.

You are making up poor excuses. Nothing was ever forcing you to collect & trade for EVERY Pokemon from previous games. It is your own personal problem if you find it to be unwelcoming just because of the fact crazy tons of Pokemon technically existed on the past few games. Most people don't even transfer and use their old Pokemon until after they finish the main story modes anyways... sometimes the company doesn't even allow you to do so in certain games until you finish. Meaning new Pokemon get more then enough chance to shine regardless if all the old timers are still around. The games being streamlined does not make them better and never has... it is simply less content to enjoy forcing the players to end their games sooner. if you don't want to use old Pokemon in the new games... then just don't? I never once in my life tried to collect every Pokemon in these games, I only capture and use the Pokemon I like the most every time and enjoyed still being able to use all my old favorites in all the new games up until now.

• Thumbs Up 6

Not that this situation doesn't suck for everybody, but I am beginning to think people are too caught up in their feelings to look at the big picture. Not even making excuses, but it's pretty easy to be a consumer and just talk about how incompetent or lazy developers are, while completely ignoring the processes that go into developing a game. People are more than within their right to be upset at this decision, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable for everybody to start calling Game Freak out as if they're intentionally trying to screw people over...instead of it just being an unfortunate consequence of how large this franchise has become over time. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Promotion 1

Jeez. I was actually being flippant in my original post. Bloody hell. I guess I deserved that sort of comeback for ignorance over this decision. 

Most of the responses you all posted in reply don’t mean a lot to me (because although I follow the releases I haven’t played Pokemon properly since Gen 3 - and that one I didn’t complete) so I don’t really “get” what some of you are saying here haha! I’m Sorry! 

But, if I’m speaking honestly... Is this actually really that big a deal?

In my logic it appears to me thusly: Every subsequent Pokemon release has most Pokemon (if not all) available to capture from the start or later on in the game. Every Pokemon title supports all Pokemon weather you can capture it in game or not which is supported by transferring them across from your old games. Sword and Shield will still likely feature a good 500 Pokemon which will include The newbies to the region and a selection of Pokemon from the older titles to capture. 

So... the actual issue here is you might not be able to play as your Pokemon of choice or transfer it across if said Pokemon is not supported? Is that right?

I mean, speaking (very clearly) as an outsider here. Logistically how could Game Freak continue to support so many all the time. Surely this would have happened eventually? ...Right?

But sure, it really sucks if your fav isn’t available to play in this game or you can’t transfer your Level 100 pal from a previous title buuut... oh I dunno. I actually don’t know....This franchise has obviously evolved beyond what I remember it was. That’s not a criticism by the way. You are all CLEARLY passionate about this problem gamefreak have created. 

I personally just played to collect them all over again each time, the trading stuff never really bothered me nor did porting my older ‘mon. And the prospect of trying to capture 900 Pokemon is too overwhelming to consider - that is really the only reason I find... well reason. It obviously still sucks for many of you though.

• Thumbs Up 1

In the Galar Region, the Badges are puzzle pieces that connect together inside a gold ring.

tumblr_pszmov9yzo1t2gdve_400.jpg

Hopefully, the names of the badges won't be as lazy as in the Kalos Region...

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Son-icka said:

I mean, speaking (very clearly) as an outsider here. Logistically how could Game Freak continue to support so many all the time. Surely this would have happened eventually? ...Right?

Its not like Gamefreak has to build new models for every game from scratch though. They have been reusing the same set for a few generations now. Once you wireframe up a decent Pikachu, you can re-use that asset again and again. Maybe some new texture maps or lighting to make it look better, but your not running a marathon here.

Sure as the roster gets larger, that becomes a taller and taller task, but at the same time they get to capitalize on the work put into games from 6 and 7 years ago too. Much like how I can pop in a copy of Madden 2019 and recognize canned animations from 2010 still being used, I can look at any copy of Pokemon and see the same idle animation for most Pokemon since the franchise made the jump to 3D models from sprites.

4 hours ago, Son-icka said:

But sure, it really sucks if your fav isn’t available to play in this game or you can’t transfer your Level 100 pal from a previous title buuut... oh I dunno. I actually don’t know....This franchise has obviously evolved beyond what I remember it was. That’s not a criticism by the way. You are all CLEARLY passionate about this problem gamefreak have created.

From a casual sense, that lv 100 pokemon and sentimental value is probably the limit. But from a competitive stance, (i.e. the people who play the game hardcore) your talking about potentially being barred from team members that you poured countless hours chain breeding for the perfect moves, natures, genders and IVs (super important invisible stats). That is a significant investment, and your basically telling people that whoops, your pokemon may not be available in the Meta for the next 2 or 3 years. And then furthermore, recreating that pokemon may be next to impossible, as removing a poekmon from an egg group has ripple effects everywhere else to make chain breeding impossible in some cases.  Thats bunk.

There is little doubt that as a Psudo-legendary pokemon, Goodra will make the cut. However it other Poekmon like Skrelp/Dragalgae don't, then Goodra can't learn Acid Armor. Without Scraggy/Scrafty it no longer has access to Counter.  No Tyrunt/Tyrantrum? Say goodbye to Curse. By removing 1 Pokemon, you can royally f-up another. My Curse Goodra did work back in the Battle Tree. It would be a massive barrier to entry to new players if you make it impossible to make one going forward. By protecting the "experience" in one hand, your barring the movepool for every pokemon in the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Not that this situation doesn't suck for everybody, but I am beginning to think people are too caught up in their feelings to look at the big picture. Not even making excuses, but it's pretty easy to be a consumer and just talk about how incompetent or lazy developers are, while completely ignoring the processes that go into developing a game. People are more than within their right to be upset at this decision, but it makes me a bit uncomfortable for everybody to start calling Game Freak out as if they're intentionally trying to screw people over...instead of it just being an unfortunate consequence of how large this franchise has become over time. 

Well, it's hard not to be caught up in emotion, especially when given reasons haven't been really valid from what we've seen

They want to even out the competitive scene? Then exclude non-Galar Pokemon from their competitive scenes without snapping them from the game. They've done something very similar in the past, where Pokemon born in 6th/7th gen games could be in competitive, but not the same species of Pokemon that was from another generation.

It's too much effort to put in? Then I really am mystified. The models we're seeing of Pokemon from gens 1 to 6 are the exact same from 2013. They were designed to be future proof and they clearly are, since you can see them in these trailers.

Better animations are taking up more space? Wingull just... glides in place (and not in an entirely natural way in how it turns and doesn't seem to occasionally flap). Scorbunny doesn't kick when using double kick. I think there was an entrance animation for Machoke, and while nice, it was hardly anything complex. In one of the Dynamax raids, the enemy Steelix just... appeared in. So when I hear that I won't be able to play with all the Pokemon I've raised because of new/improved animation, and see that... that's really irritating.

Like, at the moment, with everything we've seen, they don't look like valid reasons, especially when looking at other games and how much GB they take up. BOTW and Skyrim don't even take up half of the switch's 32 GB; at 13.4 GB and 14.3 GB respectively. An MMO like DC Universe Online takes up 30 GB.

All of the data from USUM took up 3.6 GB out of 8 GB. This means that all 807+ Pokemon, the models and animations took up less than half the 3ds' limits and that's why I don't really buy any of their reasons. Nothing they've shown looks like it takes up 32 GB.

Not to mention that they haven't alluded to this at all. The reveal of Home was as good a time as ever to announce it, but they didn't, and chose to do it when viewership to their presentation was dropping. Not even a year ago, when this game was likely well in development, they released a video called "Pokemon Rescue Team" emphasizing how from a GBA Pokemon cart, you could transfer Pokemon all the way to SUMO/USUM.

So something doesn't sound right.

• Thumbs Up 3

43 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

By protecting the "experience" in one hand, your barring the movepool for every pokemon in the game.

I mean yeah that's like...game design?

Some strategies aren't going to carry over, and sure that sucks if you spent the absurd amount of time it takes to actually train a pokemon up to a competitive level for that certain strategy, but...that can happen anyway. The meta changes each generation anyway; new 'mons, new moves, new gimmicks can all render an old team irrelevant, even if previous games rarely outright prevented their use.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm also curious how Event Pokemon will work this Gen. 

Will they also follow the "Galar Pokédex Only" rule or be the exception?

If the answer is they do follow it, that's going to suck for people that have been collecting them for the past 2-3 years from the recent Legends Events at GameStop & Target...

Well, at least Mew isn't excluded...

50 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I mean yeah that's like...game design?

Some strategies aren't going to carry over, and sure that sucks if you spent the absurd amount of time it takes to actually train a pokemon up to a competitive level for that certain strategy, but...that can happen anyway. The meta changes each generation anyway; new 'mons, new moves, new gimmicks can all render an old team irrelevant, even if previous games rarely outright prevented their use.

Of course the Meta is dynamic, but they've never implemented a hard wall to my team building such as this. Even if new pokemon or moves come in and shake things up, I was never outright prevented from falling back on old favorites, or re-inventing them to fit the new mold. When Fairy type came out, and started wrecking dragons, that was game design. But in the same hand, I was never prevented from continuing to run my dragons, I just had to be smarter about team composition and develop new strategies from dealing with the new threat. With this Home restriction, I don't get that option. By axing a sizable percentage of the breeding pool, and preventing certain poke's from making the jump, not only are you limiting the versatility of every pokemon in the game, but your preventing me from being imaginative and building the team I want to make. Game design is the careful balance and re-tweaking of how the game works and plays to create a better experience. This is more like hacking off an arm without any idea what it'll do to the rest of the body. There are going to be consequences to removing certain mon's that we won't realize until years from now.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Of course the Meta is dynamic, but they've never implemented a hard wall to my team building such as this. Even if new pokemon or moves come in and shake things up, I was never outright prevented from falling back on old favorites, or re-inventing them to fit the new mold. When Fairy type came out, and started wrecking dragons, that was game design. But in the same hand, I was never prevented from continuing to run my dragons, I just had to be smarter about team composition and develop new strategies from dealing with the new threat. With this Home restriction, I don't get that option. By axing a sizable percentage of the breeding pool, and preventing certain poke's from making the jump, not only are you limiting the versatility of every pokemon in the game, but your preventing me from being imaginative and building the team I want to make. Game design is the careful balance and re-tweaking of how the game works and plays to create a better experience. This is more like hacking off an arm without any idea what it'll do to the rest of the body. There are going to be consequences to removing certain mon's that we won't realize until years from now.

Obviously there will be consequences, but I can't imagine it affecting the series that much beyond a few people being upset that their old strategies are no longer valid, but that's literally just standard power creep in competitive play and as somebody who has played in that format, it's really not that big a deal. If anything, some competitors are curious because they were beginning to feel the meta was growing stale with overcentralizing strategies and moves that stagnated the scene (looking at you Landorus-T...)

So yea, unless you have some huge attachments to your old strategies and gimmicks, you do what any competitor does and adjust to a new meta.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

There are going to be consequences to removing certain mon's that we won't realize until years from now.

I'm sure there's been consequences to various additions that weren't realized for years too. Pokemon is fucking huge, no developers can fully account for every effect of every decision. Aside from the fact that it sucks to not be able to use your favorites it's mostly just a difference in scale.

Cool news for fans in Ohio.

Serebii.net: It has been confirmed that the Pokémon Sword & Shield demo that has been at E3 this past week will be at the Pokémon North American International Championship to play for all badged players and spectators next week from June 21st through 23rd in Columbus, Ohio. This demo has you play through the Water-type gym with a team of Grookey, Sobble, Scorbunny, Wooloo, Corviknight and Yamper facing off against trainers with various Pokémon including Gossifleur and Impidimp before facing Nessa, the Gym Leader, and her Dynamax capable Drednaw

On 6/15/2019 at 12:43 PM, Tornado said:

The big picture is that Pokemon games are still being released in two versions in an age where people throw a shitfit any other time when games have enhanced rereleases instead of just DLC; and now the main selling point for people doing that in the past doesn't even apply.

The big picture is that Game Freak already got their shovelware-looking "get familiar with the hardware" release out of the way. It sold ten million copies, which is a hell of a lot of money to immediately turn around and say they just can't do something when working on the real games.

The big picture is that this will probably be loaded with touched up 3DS assets anyway.

People acting like Game Freak are intentionally screwing people is a bit emotionally driven, certainly (though, again, two games for no reason); but the Switch is over two years old and this will be a flagship title on it. They don't get the freebie pity points they've continually got in the past when they can't even really come up with a plausible excuse for why they aren't bothering with doing something this time.

And I'm not disagreeing with that at all; they only have themselves to blame for this problem, but the more information we've gotten have revealed the conditions they generally have to work with every time they make a new game. I am no genius when it comes to game design or coding, or whatever. But I do know it's something that isn't cheap nor something that's as simple as most of the detractors are making it out to be, that is the big picture.

I'm fully aware that all of this is just the result of Game Freak's own design philosophy biting them in the ass, and they certainly deserve some of the heat they're getting at the moment because of it. You reap what you sow, I get it. But it doesn't change the fact that this whole situation has brought out some extremely nasty attitudes from people, whether it's justified or not and how most people have basically decided this one feature is enough to tarnish the entire game's reputation, regardless of any other worthwhile feature it might have or to anyone who might actually still want to buy it despite the controversy. 

The whole thing has just created an extremely hostile environment that has dominated essentially every facet of the game, to the point where you cannot talk about it anywhere else on the Internet without someone inevitably brining it up. 

• Thumbs Up 4

The difference is that I don't see that as much of a problem at all. See my comment above about how sympathetic we are "supposed" to be towards Game Freak. Maybe they'll (and I'm including Nintendo in that as well) actually learn a fucking lesson if they don't have their seemingly endless supply of sycophants coming out of the woodwork to viciously defend every stupid decision they make (while buying both versions). I don't personally think this is half as bad as the shit they did, and then remade, with Gen III; and that got to the level of self-flagellation among Pokemon fans that even the fucking Sonic Twitter mocked a review about it.

• Thumbs Up 5

It is a problem for someone like me who just wants to play the fucking game. Call me symphocant, a shill, I don't give a shit. I invested almost 20 years in this series to just drop everything over one (admitely bad) mistake. It may not mean as much to you as you've clearly made your stance that they deserve everything that's happening to them, but to someone that just wants to...enjoy the game, that's incredibly difficult right now.

And before somebody accuses me of discrediting the other side (because I know somebody will, I've seen how these things go in the Sonic fanbase...). No I am not saying that nobody shouldn't be making any noise at all. People are within their right at voicing their opinion over a product they're investing in, and I also understand that most people just play Pokemon casually and transfer their favorite mons and being denied such a feature for years is a hard pill to swallow. My take is mostly the ones who being extremely obnoxious and insulting about it using this opportunity to stir up as much shit as possible because outrage culture is a thing making hard for anyone to discuss things right now. 

I hope we get some news soon to clear all of this up, because this is the type of shit I usually expect from the Sonic fanbase. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Sonic fanbase. 

Honestly i think there is a small chance that this is a planned promotional maneuver similar to what happened with the Sonic movie.  Pokemon HOME is not coming out until next spring, it is quite, quite weird that they would provide definitively negative information about it when they did. 

To eventually (in the spring probably?) reveal a free update for Sword and Shield that would add the missing Pokemon would be very positive promotion for both HOME and a boost in enthusiasm about SwSh that would build upon whatever reception it has at that point!   

12 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I hope we get some news soon to clear all of this up, because this is the type of shit I usually expect from the Sonic fanbase. 

As it happens, Masuda and Ohmori do discuss the issue further in a new Famitsu interview (English summary via Siliconera) :

• Masuda reiterates that with the shift to the Switch, the amount of time needed to make the graphics more beautiful and the animations more lively has increased. Another aspect is the fact that the Pokemon series has reached over 1,000 Pokemon (including form changes), and as such, apart from the graphics, balancing for new Pokemon with new abilities has become very hard. This is the reason behind the decision this time, and they have judged that it will be hard for all the Pokemon to appear, even in titles going forward. This was a decision that had to be made sooner or later, according to Masuda.
  • According to Ohmori, even in Pokemon Sun & Moon, bringing in every Pokemon was something barely manageable, and with Pokemon Sword & Shield and the need to redo models, and so they had to make a decision. However, Ohmori says that despite this, the Wild Areas and story will have quite a bit of content to make up for it.
  • Regarding whether Pokemon may be added in future updates, this is currently uncertain. However, even if not in Pokemon Sword & Shield, Game Freak plans on making those Pokemon shine in future titles going forward, via Pokemon Home. They do not want the players’ past Pokemon to feel worthless.
  • Will Pokemon that receive new graphics through Sword & Shield reuse them to appear in titles going forward? Currently, this option is being inspected. However, with the inclusion of gimmicks like Mega Evolution and Dynamax that affect all Pokemon, this would mean even more graphics production and balancing, so making it happen would be hard.
  • Basically, it’s not about adding more Pokemon in as they receive graphical upgrades, but rather a change towards bringing in Pokemon from Pokemon Home that fit the game. The reason behind the name Pokemon Home, is that it is a place to return to. In return, bringing Pokemon out to games going forward, is like bringing it on a trip. In terms of the feelings of the Pokemon, says Masuda, it’s like them saying, “This region is cold, so I’ll be staying at home.” As for Pokemon Home, Game Freak are thinking of adding some gameplay elements to it.
  • Masuda says that he has the concept of bringing Pokemon out to even the spinoff titles from Pokemon Home in mind, and that this will be considered in the future as well.

If it's called Home, can we have at least have something like a home to play around in? Giving us mini-games and such to play that gives rare items? Like that dream thing they did with Black and White.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, FFWF said:
  • Masuda reiterates that with the shift to the Switch, the amount of time needed to make the graphics more beautiful and the animations more lively has increased. Another aspect is the fact that the Pokemon series has reached over 1,000 Pokemon (including form changes), and as such, apart from the graphics, balancing for new Pokemon with new abilities has become very hard. This is the reason behind the decision this time, and they have judged that it will be hard for all the Pokemon to appear, even in titles going forward. This was a decision that had to be made sooner or later, according to Masuda.
  • According to Ohmori, even in Pokemon Sun & Moon, bringing in every Pokemon was something barely manageable, and with Pokemon Sword & Shield and the need to redo models, and so they had to make a decision. However, Ohmori says that despite this, the Wild Areas and story will have quite a bit of content to make up for it.

I'm tired of game developers making excuses instead of giving the fans what they want. As for the "too many Pokemon" thing, if there really are getting to be too many (and I'm not saying there aren't) then maybe GameFreak should stop making new ones.

2 hours ago, FFWF said:
  • Basically, it’s not about adding more Pokemon in as they receive graphical upgrades, but rather a change towards bringing in Pokemon from Pokemon Home that fit the game. The reason behind the name Pokemon Home, is that it is a place to return to. In return, bringing Pokemon out to games going forward, is like bringing it on a trip. In terms of the feelings of the Pokemon, says Masuda, it’s like them saying, “This region is cold, so I’ll be staying at home.” As for Pokemon Home, Game Freak are thinking of adding some gameplay elements to it.

I can see it now: players won't be able to bring their Regice into future regions because it's "too cold" there. This despite Regice being literally made of ice.

• Thumbs Up 1