Awoo.

Sonictrainer

A new water type has leaked!

Spoiler

Perry_the_Platypus.png

Sorry.

In all honesty, I'd quite like a fire type rabbit to go in my fire/dark team. It would go so well with Cyndaquil.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

I think it'd be interesting if the new fire starter was a bug type.

It hasn't been done before, plus it'd keep up that little tradition the fire starters have been doing since gen VI of having a secondary type that has the advantage over the secondary type of their predecessor. And considering the only other type with an advantage over dark is fighting...

I will literally take anything other than Fire/Fighting, not including something that looks Fire/Fighting but isn't.  It's such a bizarre trend to have dominated the series, and I had hoped that Delphox spelt a clear end to it, but Incineroar looks way too much like a Pokemon which was designed as Fire/Fighting and was only caught at the last minute.  (Which I suppose is still an improvement on Emboar, which was clearly designed as pure Fire and was only changed at the last minute.)

Oh, people would be so sour if the fire starter was a bug.

You see, there's this long standing belief that the fire starters are based on the Chinese Zodiac (so so far from their perspective we've had dragon, mouse, chicken, monkey, pig, dog and tiger). Rabbit's also part of the zodiac, so that's probably a contributing factor into why the most recent fakes were sort of accepted so easily. If it was a bug, it wouldn't be part of the zodiac, cue fan rage. 

Right, and isn't there also something about Grass-types being based on... prehistoric creatures, and Water-types being based on weapons, I just looked it up.  I'm going to add "definitively debunking all three of those" to my wishlist.

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems as though (although also fully uncertain) an e3 reveal of something about this game may be what happens!  That will be most welcome.    The focal point prior to e3 seems to definitely be LABO, and it would seem like they would not stir up anything by announcing these games during the initial few months of a new Switch subplatform!  Yet by mid June it could make a very positive impression at e3 without taking attention from anything else.

Sooo, it seems Game Freak/Nintendo are looking to hire a translator for six months to localise Pokémon. Perhaps we really will be playing it this year?

ResetEra has also been speculating on the next Eevee evolution thanks to the following tweet:

... It may be an official account, but could just as easily be the merchandise team having a laugh on their travels.*

That said, if this is Generation 8 proper, then I suppose it's likely that we'll see a new Eevee or two (with a new method of evolution to boot). Someone joked that if you toss your Eevee off a cliff and it learns to fly, then it will become a Flying-type. Meanwhile plummeting to its death would create a Ghost-type... lol. If nothing else, it would create another joyously creepy Pokédex entry.

*Also everyone knows that a Ghost and a Steel-type would be the best options.

• Thumbs Up 1

So apparently a Chinese leaker who leaked some Gen 7 stuff has leaked that Pokémon Switch will be a reboot:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-direct-incoming-march-8th-2018-2pm-pst-5pm-est-10pm-gmt-11pm-cet.27890/page-89#post-5324034

I kind of doubt it, but since they've gotten stuff right before might as well post it.

If it is real, the things I don't want to be rebooted are the battle system and the Pokémon themselves.

What I do want rebooted, though, is the basic look of the world. Move away from the super clean semi-futuristic look and go for a dirtier and run down look like Star Wars, but not that far into the look. Basically more along the lines of the early concept art. It's more along the lines of how I pictured the world in RBY as a kid. 

A prequel, or, anything generally significantly earlier in history than has been seen before, could be quite special!  Overall, I feel as though they would properly weigh what changes within a reboot would add to the series and which would feel out of place.    

Frankly, I'm not sure what the point of rebooting the series would even be.  None of the games since GSC has ever had a substantial, irreplaceable connection to a previous generation or region, so you could just make your new game perfectly independent without calling it a reboot.  On the other hand, given that they're now moving to main console development, maybe they regard that as the time to reimagine the series.  Hmm.

The series being rebooted could tie into those other rumours about a significant alteration to the battle system.  Or, then again, they may not.  I am on the record as regarding Pokemon as being full of clutter that keeps on being carried over to no good end - endless key items, pointless forms, moves nobody is ever going to use again, etc. - so I am all for that being swept away; but if they essentially reimagine the series into a different franchise altogether, that would be an enormous risk.  I do think some kind of reboot must be on the cards eventually, though, simply as carrying over the data for so many hundreds of Pokemon between games must eventually reach the point of unsustainability.  But precisely because they've been carrying them over for so many years, it might be a hard pill for the fans to swallow if all the old favourites are tidied away into a box and never used again...

With that said, such a massive change would never be presented in anything other than a Pokemon-exclusive Direct, though, so I have a hard time imagining this news being relevant tonight, at least.

With Smash announced for this year, it's pretty doubtful we'll be seeing Pokemon Switch quite yet.

My guess: announcement of 3DS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remakes at E3 for this Holiday season, and then Pokemon Switch next year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not long ago I'd have said that the idea of Gen IV remakes on 3DS was crazy, but given that Nintendo are trying to prolong the 3DS's lifespan farther than I thought, I'm just not sure any more.  I'm inclined to think that anything that gives more development time to Pokemon Switch is a good thing; but Gen IV is my favourite generation, so if it gets remade, they had better do a good job and not skimp out on the third version content the way ORAS did.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

8 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

With Smash announced for this year, it's pretty doubtful we'll be seeing Pokemon Switch quite yet.

My guess: announcement of 3DS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl remakes at E3 for this Holiday season, and then Pokemon Switch next year.

Did they not say that Ultra Sun/Moon are the last pokemon games for the 3ds?

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

Not long ago I'd have said that the idea of Gen IV remakes on 3DS was crazy, but given that Nintendo are trying to prolong the 3DS's lifespan farther than I thought, I'm just not sure any more.  I'm inclined to think that anything that gives more development time to Pokemon Switch is a good thing; but Gen IV is my favourite generation, so if it gets remade, they had better do a good job and not skimp out on the third version content the way ORAS did.

I've never even played DP/P and yet they're still my favourites.  Alola and Kalos are cool and all, but we're yet to find a new region that matches Sinnoh's character, so to speak.  Not to mention Gen IV had one hell of a good selection of new additions, but like you said, if they did remake them I'd prefer that they didn't neuter content.

1 hour ago, Johnny Boy said:

Did they not say that Ultra Sun/Moon are the last pokemon games for the 3ds?

Good point.  Yes they did.  ...Well, sort of.  They described them as the "culmination" of GameFreak's work on 3DS, but that's not necessarily the same thing as being final, and it's not clear that as a statement it covers remakes either.  Though I absolutely would say that if we do get anymore 3DS titles that would represent them changing their minds (perhaps because of Nintendo's direct intervention), regardless of what they have to say about the matter.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've become hopeful that at some point within one of the Switch games, perhpas even this one, that there might be some gameplay mechanic where one or two Pokemon can be sent to explore the overworld, from their perspective; with some areas and situations only accessible to them, also determined by size and abilities..!!  It couldn't be too complex, and, there would need to be an item they were holding that would warp them back to the trainer!

If i remember correctly this idea started as though the exploring Pokemon would have an item (basically like a Pokeball in function) that would absorb the trainer and carry them in this item that would be worn by the Pokemon, which could be opened at any time, perhaps in locations that the trainer couldn't reach!  ^_^:lol::) 

• Thumbs Up 1

"Pokedex!"
#0-0-1
"Transform Me!"
*Trainer turns into Bulbasaur*

I know that's not the same idea, but yours got me thinking of one of mine.
Anyway, the trainer could easily release the 'mon, and it could travel a certain distance before being instantly recalled. Birds could fly high and dislodge items from crevices, water types could dive into small pools to collect items - I'm guessing things like that. That would be a great idea if it could be implemented properly.

You'd have to be careful to not let it turn into HMs by stealth - but before they cooked up PokeRide, I was mulling over ideas for an HM-improving system where you could just summon a Pokemon from your boxes any time while out in the field, so you wouldn't have to traipse into town and back if you found you didn't have the right Pokemon.  That would work well with Pokemon transformation/exploration mechanics.

Giving you access to Boxes in the field in general seems like a good idea, and I'm not sure why you can't (either mechanically or in-universe; it seems within their technical capabilities).  Are boxed Pokemon healed upon deposit?  Cancel that, and make it so visiting a Pokemon Centre heals your boxed Pokemon as well.  Sure, you could just keep a backup team on standby at all times, but you can do that anyway, it's just less time-effective.  This seems like a natural streamlining update.

• 1 month later...

It's time once again for another round of Pokemon Rumors

• Thumbs Up 1

The headline details for the latest rumour aren't promising, but when you dig in it's really just Pokemon Yellow 2 HD with horrible titles, and that's not such a bad thing.  A remake as a Switch testbed in advance of the actual next generation strikes me as sensible, too, if it buys the main title more time in development.  The real crux of the matter and the deciding factor, as far as I'm concerned, is how deep the alleged Pokemon Go influence might... well, go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yes; Some of the shared key conditions of Breath of the WIld and Oddysey, being highly interactive, exploration friendly, and the best visual presentation possible, seem like they will almost inevitably be true of Pokemon as well!

There may be some aspects of it that will be unwelcome, but i think the game(s) as a whole will often be incredibly satisfying and surprising in how they are able to newly bring the overall potential of the game concept to completion!

Here's an allegedly leaked screenshot from the end of March that matches up with these leaks:

Spoiler

UBxp1yP.jpg

It's Kanto Route 21  and you can see an Eevee on the head of the trainer.

I don't like going back to Kanto or that my starter choices are Pikachu and Eevee or that some mechanics are inspired by GO or that the game seems to look like an upressed 3DS game, but I do like that you don't seem to be forced to wear that dumb looking safety gear when riding a Pokémon.

Can't say I'm all too down on this still being Gen 7. I don't have a Switch and couldn't get it anyway, so this not seeming very interesting is fine by me. Gen 8 would be exciting to see, but with the additional time hopefully, Gen 8 can be a big improvement in scope like BOTW was.

Here's a summary of leaks: https://www.resetera.com/threads/pokémon-for-nintendo-switch-speculation-thread-2-what-defines-a-new-thread.38175/page-192#post-7948674

• Thumbs Up 3