Awoo.

Sonictrainer

So now we have to worry about our favorite Pokémon not making it in and being usable? That really offsets a lot of my excitement going forward, as if the dumbing-down of difficulty and removal of numerous other useful/fun features weren't enough.

Just you wait... couple years later they will probably release a 3rd version for this set of games and correct their mistake of limiting it to only Galar Dex Pokemon. Doesn't fix the current Sword & Shield games however unless they patch it. Regardless they goofed up badly this time. And personally If my top fave Pokemon are not available in these games... then that will seal the deal for me definitely not getting these exact set of games ever.

For those who want to transfer there 'mons they've collected for ages, I agree that it's bad this limitation is in effect. However, I think you'd be able to transfer them all to Home, just not be able to import them into the game. Unfortunate that it has to be this way, but hopefully it's just for this game.

I want to believe they'll insert them gradually through free updates and stuff (or that there was a massive mix up and that's just until you finish the game and not just wait till Home is up and running to transfer), but I also don't want to hold my breath or get myself super disappointed.

If it turns out that's not the case, I'll buy these games used at most. There's no real reason for this unless this game is stuffed with content up the wazoo, because the way things are looking, this doesn't push the Switch to its limits. If the 3ds was able to contain over 809 Pokemon (because there are multiple forms for many Pokemon), then the Switch should be able to hold more than that and have these new features.

Getting rid of the Pokenav/poketch etc is one thing, but the Pokemon themselves are restricted? That's crossing a line. Now I'm gonna have to dread not being able to use my favorites for every new game. My water-type starters are going to gather so much dust, because other-region starters don't usually show up in another region's Pokedex.

Ugh. I really hope this blows up in their faces.

EDIT: Wait, wait, wait.

This is for balancing reasons?

Then golly, gee, loser aimless girl has a marvelous Idea;

Just allow Pokemon in the Galar Pokedex in competitive. Boom!

Also, it appears Nessa was first revealed in that earlier rumor (which I will now refer to as the "Angry Smoker" Rumor) and everything said about her type and gym was confirmed today.

EDIT: Looking back, even Yamper was confirmed in this rumor. 🤩

• Thumbs Up 3

The Official Site updated their Wild Area section.

6_11_wildarea_1.jpg6_11_wildarea_2.jpg

In the Wild Area, there is a chance that you’ll run into powerful wild Pokémon! These Pokémon are constantly on their guard—in fact, you won’t even be able to throw a Poké Ball at them when first starting your adventure.

We also have new weather conditions.

6_11_wildarea_3.jpg6_11_wildarea_4.jpg

You’ll find plenty of Electric-type Pokémon during thunderstorms!

When you enter battle during a thunderstorm, the battlefield will have the effects of both the rain weather condition and Electric Terrain, increasing the power of Water- and Electric-type moves!

6_11_maxraid_1.jpg6_11_maxraid_2.jpg

You’ll be able to meet up with other players and have fun with them in the Wild Area via local or online communication! One way to have fun is to join up with three other players and take on powerful Dynamax Pokémon in Max Raid Battles!

The Wild Area is full of what are known as Pokémon Dens. Sometimes, you’ll come across a Pokémon Den that is releasing a red pillar of light. Dynamax Pokémon of different species and varying strength are hiding in them, and you’ll be able to attempt a Max Raid Battle by investigating these dens.

Dynamax Pokémon are hiding in Pokémon Dens that are releasing a red pillar of light.

You’ll be able to choose one Pokémon from your party or from your Pokémon Boxes to participate in the battle.

6_11_maxraid_3.jpg6_11_maxraid_4.jpg

In Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, there is a feature called Y-Comm. With it, you can do things like trade Pokémon and have Link Battles via the internet or local communication.

If you see a stamp pop up while you’re on your adventure, it might be a sign that another player is looking for somebody to connect with! You’ll see a stamp when someone is looking for participants for a Max Raid Battle, too, so check the stamp on the Y-Comm screen to join in!

Stamps can appear on the left side of your screen while you are on your adventure.

Select the stamp with a Pokémon’s silhouette on it to join the Max Raid Battle.

Also, here's the Treehouse Live footage and some videos of the demo from GameXplain

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

impidimp2.jpg

Introducing our first Dark/Fairy Pokémon, Impidimp.

And -

D8zwIz5WwAU3Cgm.png

- it has wings on the back of its head! lol I was hoping we'd get some kind of goblin for Galar, and there it is! I really hope it evolves.

• Thumbs Up 2

Does the home stuff really change that much? Sure its a bit foreboding for the future of the franchise. When Gen 9 rolls around we will get side-swipped by this same truck.

But as far as sword and shield are concerned, they won't be affected nearly as much. Since Home isn't slated to launch until next year (I don't think they've even given a date beyond 2020). We could be looking at half or even a full year before Home launches and is even available to flood those games with fresh blood. Until home eventually launches, you wouldn't have access to your back catalogue of pokemon anyway. You'll be playing the game without access to any of your old favorites regardless.

This is some legit bad news tho. Hopefully Pokemon Gun fixes everything. Guns are always the answer.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yamper's face looks like it came straight out of Dragon Quest. Impidimp looks like a yokai Level5 designed. Nessa reminds me of Shelly From ORAS (yes I know her skin tones are slightlydifferent).

Seeing that Vespiquen is there, I guess no new bee pokemon :(

I wonder how many new pokemons they're gonna have? 

The thing about the Pokémon being restricted is probably the most disappointing thing I've heard about any new Pokémon game. Game should have been delayed another year so they could have worked all this shit out. I'm hoping that the other 'mons will be patched in over time to make up for this (lol), but I'm honestly expecting that we'll see an upgraded "full" game in a year like Game Freak loves to do and we'll all be told to "keep up."

It's pretty maddening because the base games typically don't have more than 300 Pokémon available under normal circumstances--to get anything older or that's been ignored for a while, you have to transfer them in anyway and you don't get to do that until the postgame where you're probably doing things for competitive purposes or battle facilities. I don't give a shit about the National Pokédex so if it's gone, fine. I don't really agree with removing Pokémon though.

Shame too, because what I've seen of the game so far looks great but this definitely puts a damper on things for me. I'd like to bring some of the Battle Tree Pokémon I raised to the next gen, but now I don't even know if some of them will be able to make the jump.

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 2

WTF is up with the backgrounds for the trainer battles in the Water gym? Jesus, that lazy. Pokemon Stadium on the N64 put in more effort than that.

This doesn't even effect me much since I've always just stuck with what each individual game gives you, but I'm definitely concerned on principle.

On one hand the trading restriction was realistically going to happen eventually, especially given the series' annual release schedule. On the other hand, the yearly release schedule sucks anyway. I actually can see them just adding all the missing 'mons post-release but I'm not sure if it actually had to come to that? Ehhh.

• Thumbs Up 3

36 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

WTF is up with the backgrounds for the trainer battles in the Water gym? Jesus, that lazy. Pokemon Stadium on the N64 put in more effort than that.

What’s wrong with it?

In an interview, it seems that Masuda confirmed that this is Game Freak's approach from now on, even in future games. They'll be cherrypicking Pokemon based on the region and the overall atmosphere and blocking access for any other Pokemon...

...Welp, been nice knowing you, Pokemon.

• Absolutely 1

So much for "Gotta Catch'em All"...

Thinking back, Sun and Moon feels like the first step toward this. All Pokemon were transferable to the game, but only Alola Dex Pokémon had Pokédex entries.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

In an interview, it seems that Masuda confirmed that this is Game Freak's approach from now on, even in future games. They'll be cherrypicking Pokemon based on the region and the overall atmosphere and blocking access for any other Pokemon...

The series is over 2 decades old and is the most selling media franchise ever. So I HIGHLY doubt one or two dumb decisions are going to affect their sales very much. At worst, this will just piss off and turn away the older fans, but the younger generation will just pick up the slack.

Just now, Marcello said:

So much for "Gotta Catch'em All"...

I stopped believing in that tagline once we passed the 500 mark lol. 

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

What’s wrong with it?

I'm super hyped to throw down in the middle of... Blu Fog?

Spoiler

824175691_blufog.png.5644e161110f1696a8fee70124069d18.png

C'mon man. The 3DS games put in the extra effort to render caves, grasslands and all that other junk. Why are the trainer battles in a gym reduced to... THAT.

I'd be okay if it didn't take place in the main stadium (thats cool to reserve for the Gym Leader) but they can do sooooooo much better than blu void.

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The series is over 2 decades old and is the most selling media franchise ever. So I HIGHLY doubt one or two dumb decisions are going to affect their sales very much. At worst, this will just piss off and turn away the older fans, but the younger generation will just pick up the slack.

Never said the series was gonna literally die.

But rather me saying goodbye to buying any games in the future, because I'm not supporting this practice.

3 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

Never said the series was gonna literally die.

But rather me saying goodbye to buying any games in the future, because I'm not supporting this practice.

That's understandable; I think this will be the turning point for a lot people with the series for better or worse. 

If we can change Mario Maker 2's friends-online, we can sure as hell try to get our Pokemon in the games.

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

That's understandable; I think this will be the turning point for a lot people with the series for better or worse. 

Indeed. I bought a Pokeball Plus and Go for the sake of catching Pokemon to bring into Home not too long ago. But now I feel robbed for this to happen. Yeah, it's definitely on me for making a hasty purchase, but it's not like we'd foresee this happening considering we just got a Direct that would've told us what we needed to hear.

Rather they swept it under the rug at Treehouse.

This obviously ain't the end of my ride with Pokemon. I haven't caught up on the 3DS titles yet as Gen 5 is what I'm still playing on, but I recently was replaying Gen 4 and loved it. So I still have a couple more games to go with my partners before things come to an abrupt halt.

And of course the movies sound dope after Detective Pikachu so they're still getting my money on that standpoint.

But that's about it for me. 

The best I can hope for to regain trust is to have Pokemon be progressively added in through patches, but the fact that Masuda is making this a company wide "policy" is slowly diminishing the likelihood of that happening.

Mehhh... at least the Pokeball Plus feels nice to hold. A neat display piece. So my purchase is... somewhat justified.

1 hour ago, Failinhearts said:

There are no words. This is.... absolutely awful.

Basically, imagine a kid, and they have a bunch of toys.

"Ben, I'm taking some of these toys and putting them in a box."

"Why mom?"

"Because I want you to play with the toys that I think fit the moment better."

"Will I ever play with them again?"

"Sure, when I think it's the right time to play with them."

That's what this is. Only, it could be years before you actually play with certain Pokemon again. For instance, since 2003, Swampert has been present in one regional Pokedex, Hoenn. Do you see Swampert "fitting" an adventure that isn't Hoenn? Why would they want another water starter (that isn't Squirtle) to steal the newer water starter's thunder?

This is... flat out making choices for everyone's experience, which was supposed to make each game precious. I'm absolutely dumbfounded.

Just now, Sapphirine Wind said:

There are no words. This is.... absolutely awful.

Basically, imagine a kid, and they have a bunch of toys.

"Ben, I'm taking some of these toys and putting them in a box."

"Why mom?"

"Because I want you to play with the toys that I think fit the moment better."

"Will I ever play with them again?"

"Sure, when I think it's the right time to play with them."

This is sounding eerily like the plot to The LEGO Movie.

Yet not as funny and without a happy ending.

• Thumbs Up 1