Awoo.

Sonictrainer

12 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Apparently Max Raid Battles can be accessed offline, and the game will generate AI trainers to support you.

I guess we'll have to wait to see if that gets confirmed. From the initial trailers and stuff they seemed to point to them being exclusively online. It'd be great if that's the case though and I can at least give the game credit for that.

1 hour ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Maybe the aesthetics of the city/town its in will differ between versions, like Opelucid City.

I would hope that is the case. Even if not as large, I would hope for some differences in lore for the town between versions to justify the change.

Still don't like how GF are continuing this cycle of these once a generation gimmicks that don't really add anything that major.  It's not helped by the fact that, judging from the graphical ability, the animations and the PokeDex fiasco, the developers might very well be suffering from a complete lack of creative interest.  Mark my words, when that Town game releases, we'll probably find it to have much more creative flourish and genuine effort put in than with SwSh.

That being said, I do love a couple of the new Pokémon.  Duralodon reminds me of my forever homeboy, Gigalith and Rolycoly is just beautiful set up for a steam train.  And here I was, worrying this generation would visually suffer for the lack of goo designs and Ken Sugimori (I'm pretty certain he's at least distanced himself from the series?).

So Gamefreak removed Mega Evolutions... just to go around in a circle and basically include them again, except under a new name and adding extra limits to it... Ok sure whatever. You do you Gamefreak.

Something interesting is the fact it seems a certain leaked list of rumors was all true because of this reveal. Get ready for the new evil team to be called Team Yell.

Side note: And I've still have not yet seen a single new Pokemon I personally love outta this set of games.

• Thumbs Up 1

So that leak from awhile back predicted most of all this, so can’t say I’m too surprised. However at least that confirms

Pikachu will get a Gigantimax form based on its retro design 

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, that's pretty cool.

If someone somehow doesn't pit these two against each other, Dynamax them, and have some Godzilla music blaring in the background, I'll be disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

Of course, we would randomly get news on a Monday. While we still don't know the Boxart Legends's information & Impidimp still doesn't have a bio and official art yet, we do have some more confirmed info from the Angry Smoker Rumor.

img_190708_02_21.jpg

There's also an art book for these games but I couldn't find a big enough picture of it and it was incomplete.

Japanese Trailer

New Pokémon

pokemon_190708_02.png

7_8_yampers_2.jpg7_8_yampers_1.jpg

• Yamper
  • Category: Puppy Pokémon
  • Type: Electric
  • Height: 1'
  • Weight: 29.8 lbs.
  • Ability: Ball Fetch

Yamper has a tendency to be drawn to things that are moving quickly. It can chase after people and Pokémon or even go charging at vehicles!

Yamper has an organ in its body that generates electricity, and this organ is activated when Yamper runs around. Yamper can’t store the electricity it generates, so it’s often seen running around with electric sparks crackling around it.

7_8_yampers_3.jpg

Yamper’s Ability, Ball Fetch, is a new Ability introduced in these titles, and it will come into play when you throw a Poké Ball at a wild Pokémon but fail to catch it. As long as Yamper isn’t holding an item, it will go fetch the first Poké Ball that failed to catch a Pokémon, regardless of what type of Poké Ball it is!

sugata_190708_01.png

7_8_alcremie_1.jpg

• Alcremie
  • Category: Cream Pokémon
  • Type: Fairy
  • Weight: 1.1 lbs.
  • Ability: Sweet Veil

Alcremie can produce whipped cream, which becomes richer the happier Alcremie is feeling. Desserts made using this cream are invariably delicious, so many pastry chefs strive to have an Alcremie as their partner.

When attacked by an opponent, Alcremie will throw sweet-scented cream to distract them or temporarily blind them, giving itself time to escape. The cream it uses for this purpose has an incredibly powerful soothing effect, and any opponent that tries to eat the cream will rapidly lose the will to battle.

pokemon_190708_03.png

7_8_rolycoly_2.jpg7_8_rolycoly_1.jpg

• Rolycoly
  • Category: Coal Pokémon
  • Type: Rock
  • Weight: 26.5 lbs.
  • Abilities: Steam Engine/Heatproof

Its red eye can illuminate dark areas, while it uses the lump of coal attached to its body like a wheel to move through coal mines and caves. It seems to be able to travel smoothly even over rough terrain.

Until about one hundred years ago, every household in the Galar region had a Rolycoly. The families would use the coal that dropped off its body for cooking and heating their homes. Even in the modern day, Rolycoly is a very popular Pokémon to take for outdoor activities!

7_8_rolycoly_3.jpg

Rolycoly’s Ability, Steam Engine, is a new Ability introduced in these titles. A Pokémon with this Ability will get a Speed stat boost if it’s hit with a Fire- or Water-type move during battle!

pokemon_duraludon_2x.png

7_8_duraludon_2.jpg

• Duraludon
  • Category: Alloy Pokémon
  • Type: Steel/Dragon
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 88.2 lbs.
  • Abilities: Light Metal/Heavy Metal

The metal composing its body is incredibly durable but also surprisingly light. It only weighs about 88 lbs. in total. Thanks to this, Duraludon can move quite quickly in spite of its appearance. Its body is weak to corrosion, however, and is known to rust easily.

Duraludon live in caves and mountainous areas. Their two arms have slightly different shapes from each other, and they use these to grind down rock surfaces for food. They share their habitat with Tyranitar, and these two Pokémon are often seen battling each other in the mountains of the Galar region.

Gigantamax

7_8_gdrednaw_1.jpg

The strange phenomenon known as Dynamaxing can only occur in specific areas of the Galar region.

While Dynamaxing seems to be a phenomenon common to the Pokémon from Galar, it’s been discovered that there’s a special phenomenon known as Gigantamaxing, too! Only certain species of Pokémon can Gigantamax—and even among such species, only rare specimens will be able to Gigantamax. The majority will keep their usual appearance when they Dynamax.

Gigantamax Pokémon become bigger, and just like normal Dynamaxing, Gigantamaxing boosts the power of the Pokémon. It also allows each Gigantamax Pokémon to use a unique move known as a G-Max Move! Each G-Max Move is particular to a specific species of Gigantamax Pokémon, and regular Dynamax Pokémon can’t use G-Max Moves at all!

Regular Drednaw and Corviknight can Dynamax, but there are some special members of these species that can Gigantamax.

You can catch Gigantamax Pokémon for your team by participating in Max Raid Battles, but it seems they’re very rare—finding one won’t be easy!

pokemon_gdrednaw_2x.png

7_8_gdrednaw_2.jpg

• Gigantamax Drednaw
  • Type: Water/Rock
  • Abilities: Strong Jaw/Shell Armor
  • Height: 78'9"+
  • Weight: ????.? lbs.

The power of Gigantamaxing has allowed it to stand on its hind legs and become bipedal! From its standing position, it can come crashing down on opposing Pokémon and crush them with its massive body!

Drednaw normally keeps its neck retracted within its shell, but when it attacks, it can rapidly shoot its neck out. Its jaws are also incredibly strong, capable of easily biting through huge metal towers. The strength of its jaws combined with the force of its neck gives Drednaw the power to punch a hole through a rocky mountain in a single strike.

Water-type moves used by Gigantamax Drednaw will change to G-Max Stonesurge. G-Max Stonesurge doesn’t just deal damage to an opponent—it will scatter sharp rocks around the opponent and cause Pokémon entering the battlefield to take damage!

pokemon_gcorviknight_2x.png

7_8_gcorviknight_1.jpg

• Gigantamax Corviknight
  • Type: Flying/Steel
  • Abilities: Pressure/Unnerve
  • Height: 45'11"+
  • Weight: ????.? lbs.

Corviknight uses its massive wings to catch updrafts created by Gigantamax energy to hover in the air while it battles. The armor on its body has been reinforced, so attacks from Pokémon on the ground barely have any effect on it!

Gigantamax energy has caused the armor covering Corviknight’s wings to separate and become blade birds, capable of flying independently. Corviknight launches these blade birds at the target, using them to slash its opponents.

Flying-type moves used by Gigantamax Corviknight will change to G-Max Wind Rage. G-Max Wind Rage deals damage to an opponent, but that’s not all—it will also remove any effects of moves like Reflect, Light Screen, Spikes, and Electric Terrain that the opponents may have!

pokemon_galcremie_2x.png

7_8_galcremie_2.jpg

• Gigantamax Alcremie
  • Type: Fairy
  • Ability: Sweet Vei
  • Height: 98'5"+
  • Weight: ????.? lbs.

The cream pouring out of its body hardens when subjected to impacts—the stronger the impact, the harder it becomes. This gives Alcremie a truly impressive resistance to physical attacks. Additionally, the giant “Berry” decorations on Alcremie’s body are as hard as diamonds, and it’s said that most attacks won’t even be able to leave a scratch.

Alcremie will launch high-calorie cream missiles around itself to attack its opponents. Any Pokémon that touches this cream will be filled with energy and euphoria but at the same time will fall into a state of complete confusion.

Fairy-type moves used by Gigantamax Alcremie will change to G-Max Finale. G-Max Finale will heal all Pokémon on Alcremie’s side while dealing damage to an opponent!

Galar Pokémon League, Gym Challenge, & Champion Cup

story_strive_art.jpg

people_main_m.pngpeople_main_w.png

Here in the Galar region, where Pokémon battles are big entertainment, the region’s Pokémon League holds tournaments to decide the next Champion.

You’ll have to compete with your rivals and challenge the Gym Leaders of the region for your chance to take part in this tournament, too!

The Gym Challenge is a true celebration of Pokémon battling! Participating Trainers strive to collect all eight Gym Badges, and only Pokémon Trainers who have been endorsed by specific people, such as Gym Leaders, can join in.

You and your rival Hop will receive your letters of endorsement from Champion Leon himself, kicking off your journey to challenge the Gyms of the region!

During the Gym Challenge, each challenger wears a special uniform for the occasion. You can choose the combination of three numbers on your own uniform!

Once a year in the Galar region, a series of Pokémon battles are held with the League Championship on the line.

This is the Champion Cup! The Champion Cup is the tournament to decide who will be able to challenge the reigning Champion for their seat. Exemplary Trainers throughout the region, such as those who successfully complete the Gym Challenge, are allowed to participate in the Champion Cup tournament.

The Champion Cup battles are broadcast on TV, and all the people of the Galar region will be watching!

7_8_strive_4.jpg

Some of the corporations in the Galar region support the Gyms and the Champion by offering sponsorships. You’ll find the logos of these corporations on the uniforms of the Gym Leaders, as well as around the various facilities in Galar.

You’ll see plenty of corporate logos on signboards in the stadiums as well.

The Champion in particular has no shortage of sponsors!

New Human Characters

people_rose.png

7_8_league_1.jpg7_8_strive_2.jpg

Many of the Pokémon battle events in the Galar region, such as the Champion Cup, are managed by a committee, led by Chairman Rose.

Rose is the chairman of the Galar Pokémon League and also the president of a large business conglomerate. He’s made the Galar Pokémon League world-famous by implementing Gym Battles featuring the Dynamax phenomenon.

He’s also the one who first endorsed Leon for the Gym Challenge. It seems he has quite the eye for talent!

I guess that explains the Rose shaped stadium on the northern part of the map.

people_oleana.png

7_8_league_2.jpg

Oleana is Rose’s secretary and is known for her calm and collected personality.

She also serves as the vice president of Rose’s company and is in fact largely in charge of the day-to-day running of the company.

Yeah, there's something...off about these 2...

people_bea.png

7_8_version_1.jpg7_8_version_2.jpg

Bea is a prodigy in Galar karate, carrying on its century-old traditions and techniques. She’s also an expert on Fighting-type Pokémon! She’s known for her stoicism and very rarely shows her emotions. It seems her battle style remains very precise, even when she’s backed into a corner!

Bea is a Version Exclusive Gym Leader for Sword. In one of the Trailers, she uses a Hitmontop on her team.

people_allister.png

7_8_version_3.jpg7_8_version_4.jpg

Allister is a talented Trainer of Ghost-type Pokémon who has taken on the mantle of the Ghost-type Gym Leader at a young age. He’s extremely shy and fearful, and he always hides his face with a mask when around other people. He rarely makes public appearances and apparently spends most of his time around ruins or in cemeteries.

Allister is Version Exclusive to Shield. In one of the trailers, he uses a Mimikyu on his team.

Galar Champion Leon

people_leon_art.jpg

Leon is the current Champion of the Galar region and has never been defeated in an official Pokémon battle. His personality, together with his peerless skill, has made him extremely popular. He truly deserves the title of "the greatest Trainer in all of Galar."

Leon won the Championship in his first-ever Gym Challenge—without being defeated in battle a single time. To this day, his winning streak continues to grow ever longer, and his formidable talent for Pokémon battles is truly unmatched. He’s aided in his countless victories by his partner Charizard, and he’s known to go all out during battles, no matter who he’s facing. This battle style of his has captured the hearts of the people of Galar.

You can try to catch a glimpse of this battle skill during broadcasts of his Championship and exhibition matches!

7_8_leon_1.jpg

...who is Raihan?

Version Exclusives

Deino & Jangmo-o & Bea's Fighting Gym are exclusive to Sword while Larvitar & Goomy & Allister's Ghost Gym are exclusive to Shield.

Other Stuff

7_8_alcremie_4.jpg

There's some kind of Poke Ball mascot in the back here.

So does anyone else think Alcremie might be related to Slurpuff? They look kind of similar, have the same type and are both based on cakes!

They can't fool me, that's no Chairman Rose. That's Hugo Vasquez from Tales From the Borderlands. He just trimmed his beard a bit

f61fY8t.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm no Pokemon expert obviously, that's my cousin, but heck those dynamax are awfully familiar to me too, I guess changing the design is an improvement instead of having simply giant versions of Pokemon, I'm aware that Mega Evolutions had that too though.

Not sure about the game… I actually like the artstyle, and the human characters, one of the girls reminds me of Inkling. 

The Pokemon design are pretty cool to me, ok a living cake might be exaggerated though.

The results for the Steel Type Move Name are in

Back in April, CoroCoro ran a competition for the most powerful Steel-type move's name and today they have announced the winner. The move, known by Duraludon is known in Japan as roughly "Exhaustive Beam" or Do-or-Die" (てっていこうせん). This name is a pun based on two different Japanese phrases making an exact translation tricky. This move is Steel-type, Special with 140 base power and will do recoil of 50% of the user's HP.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks like Yamper might evolve from a Corgi to a Greyhound (appropriate, with it being the fastest dog in the world), considering the electric dog logo behind Rose:

D--KklnVUAAp2HM.jpg

black_greyhound_running_dog_art_postcard7_8_yampers_2.jpg&key=a2f8dab317c2bc7a47

It would make sense, since both breeds have a strong association with the UK.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, 8ther said:

So um...

the newest thing about the animation looks like... Hops'  mouth moves.

None of the animations so far have looked like they were worth Dexit.

EDIT: I know I must sound like a broken record at this point, but tbh, the Pokemon are an important aspect of Pokemon to me. Everything about this feels off for me, and it's deeply troubling to me as a lifelong fan.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, 8ther said:

So um...

Yeah that seems about right for Gamefreak. Jesus Christ lol. They really are the new Koei Techmo

• Chuckle 2

Christ. 

I get that the animations on the Pokémon are pretty lazy - rotate a Pokémon in its idle animation and call it tail whip. But I didn't exorcism them to go as far as recycling important NPC animations like that. It's pretty pathetic.

My favourite example of lazy animation from SuMo:7F2FB46A-62D5-47D9-8D30-FDF5DBB88C7E.jpeg.f508aed34f13946dc2a82c4ecff31073.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 4

Recycling perfectly good animations is fine. Shit, that's what everyone wants them to do with the Pokemon for the sake of the Dex. It's passing them off as new or 'much higher quality' that's the problem here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

Recycling perfectly good animations is fine. It's passing them off as new or 'much higher quality' that's the problem here. 

Yeah. The point is that these so called "higher quality animations" aren't high quality and are in fact lifted straight from the 3DS. If they wanted to convince fans that things are significantly improved for the Switch with these games, they've got a really funny way of doing it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

So I've been seeing thumbnails of how Sword and Shield "can't be saved." What's that about?

Message me a link to what you're talking about.

There will be a Sword/Shield Switch Lite available on November 8th with cyan and pink buttons on the front and Zacian & Zamazenta on the back

zacianswitchlite.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1