Awoo.

Sonictrainer

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

I'm personally willing to give GameFreak the benefit of the doubt when it comes to technical limitations, but at the same time there is simply no doubt that the real villain of the piece here is their business model.  The annualisation of the series, with the same dev cycle for HD games that they used to have for 3DS games - I simply don't think it's sustainable in the long term, no matter how much you outsource.  Something has to give, and in this case, it was the National Dex.

Indeed, and that's another issue I sort of take with their stance on the matter.  They talk as though cutting corners to rush the release of a game is somehow a trait we're supposed to respect.  Like, come on. =V

• Thumbs Up 8

New Trailers are up and it reveals the Evil Team & Galar Regional Variants!

English

Japanese

New Pokémon

pokemon_morpeko_2x.png

• Morpeko
  • Category: Two-Sided Pokémon
  • Type: Electric/Dark
  • Height: 1′
  • Weight: 6.6 lbs.
  • Ability: Hunger Switch

Morpeko constantly generates electricity with the sacs in its cheeks. This consumes energy, causing Morpeko to be constantly hungry. This is why Morpeko is always carrying around Berry seeds, protecting them with care. They serve as a snack!

When experiencing prolonged hunger, the balance of hormones within Morpeko’s body changes. This causes its fur color to change and triggers more aggressive and volatile behavior. The energy stored in its cheek sacs also changes from Electric type to Dark type.

8_7_morpeko_3.jpg8_7_morpeko_4.jpg

Morpeko’s Ability, Hunger Switch, is a new Ability introduced in these titles. This Ability causes Morpeko to change its appearance each turn. Morpeko’s signature move, Aura Wheel, changes type depending on Morpeko’s form. In Full Belly Mode, the move is Electric type, while in Hangry Mode, the move becomes Dark type!

Galar Regional Variants

Certain Pokémon have adapted to the unique environment of one specific region and look different than the same species might look when found in another region.

These different appearances are known as the regional forms of those Pokémon, and it seems their behavior also differs from that of their previously discovered forms. The Galar region has its own regional forms of Pokémon, known as Galarian forms!

pokemon_weezing_2x.png

8_7_weezing_1.jpg

• Galarian Weezing
  • Category: Poison Gas Pokémon
  • Type: Poison/Fairy
  • Height: 9'10"
  • Weight: 35.3 lbs.
  • Abilities: Levitate/???

Galarian Weezing consumes polluted air and poisonous gases for sustenance. The air and gases absorbed will have toxins removed before being spewed out again from the tops of Weezing’s heads. Apparently the air produced through this purification process is very clean!

The toxins accumulated within Weezing’s body form into concentrated poison gas clouds that leak out and drift around it. This gas is so potent that even a whiff is enough to stun and immobilize an opponent. It is Weezing’s best weapon during battles.

pokemon_zigzagoon_2x.png

8_7_zigzagoon_2.jpg

• Galarian Zigzagoon
  • Category: Tiny Raccoon Pokémon
  • Type: Dark/Normal
  • Height: 1'4"
  • Weight: 38.6 lbs.
  • Abilities: Pickup/Gluttony

The Zigzagoon of the Galar region move about however they like and never settle down. They’re known to inhabit all areas of the region, including fields, forests, and even towns! There is some speculation that the zigzag movements of the Zigzagoon in other regions stem from the restless nature of Galarian Zigzagoon, which is considered to be the oldest branch of the species.

Galarian Zigzagoon enjoy battles and will charge at people and other Pokémon in an attempt to provoke a fight. This behavior usually succeeds in starting a battle with other Pokémon, but humans tend to think Galarian Zigzagoon is just playing or showing affection. It seems to cause Galarian Zigzagoon some frustration when people don’t get angry even though it’s trying to provoke them.

pokemon_linoone_2x.png

8_7_linoone_2.jpg

• Galarian Linoone
  • Category: Rushing Pokémon
  • Height: 1'8"
  • Weight: 71.7 lbs.
  • Abilities: Pickup/Gluttony

Galarian Linoone can reach speeds of over 60 miles per hour and can deliver devastating Tackles and Headbutts. These attacks have enough destructive force to even knock a car away, but they can also throw Linoone off balance if they miss.

Galarian Linoone are rash and fearless, and they will recklessly pick fights even with opponents stronger than themselves. Their fearlessness, as well as their tendency to attack opponents head on, make Galarian Linoone very popular among the disaffected youths of the Galar region, who have nowhere to direct their frustration and anger.

pokemon_obstagoon_2x.png

pokemon_obstagoon_2_2x.png

8_7_obstagoon_2.jpg

• Obstagoon
  • Category: Blocking Pokémon
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 101.4 lbs.
  • Abilities: Reckless/Guts

Living in the unique environment of the Galar region, some regional forms have developed unique Evolutions unseen in any other region. Obstagoon, which evolves from Galarian Linoone, is one example.

The Linoone of the Galar region live in harsh conditions compared to those found in other regions, with fierce competition against others of their species. Their survival instincts have been honed as a result, leading to their Evolution into Obstagoon.

Though Obstagoon is extremely combative, it seems that it doesn’t often launch the first attack. It will taunt an opponent, goading it into attacking. When it does, Obstagoon will cross its arms and meet the oncoming attack with its Obstruct move.

Obstagoon is especially skilled at throwing its opponents off guard and counterattacking with its sharp claws.

New Human Characters

people_bede_2x.png

8_7_bede_1.jpg

Bede is one of your rivals who is skilled at Pokémon battles and has the pride to match! He has joined the Gym Challenge, having received his endorsement from Rose, the chairman of the Galar Pokémon League. While he clearly is aiming to become Champion, he seems to have other objectives as well...

people_marnie_2x.png

8_7_marnie_1.jpg

Marnie is one of your rivals who has a competitive side. Together with her partner Morpeko, she aims to become the Champion of the Galar region in order to accomplish a certain goal. She has many passionate fans, thanks to her sense of style and calm, calculated battle strategies.

people_team_yell_m.pngpeople_team_yell_f.png

8_7_yell_2.jpg8_7_yell_3.jpg

Team Yell is a group of troublemakers who seem to appear wherever the Gym Challenge takes you and who attempt to get in your way at every opportunity.

They want nothing more than for Marnie to become Champion, and they all try to obstruct other challengers in all sorts of ways. They will take over hotel lobbies, prevent other challengers from accessing transportation, and even shout and distract opponents during battle. Whenever Marnie battles, it seems these Team Yell Grunts are quick to appear, showing their support with Marnie-print towels and also horns.

Marnie seems to be able to get them to stop, though.

New Mechanics: Poké Jobs

8_7_jobs_1.jpg8_7_jobs_2.jpg8_7_jobs_3.jpg8_7_jobs_4.jpg

In the Galar region, it is very common for people and Pokémon to work together. Many corporations and universities request the help of Pokémon through what are known as Poké Jobs.

You can check available Poké Jobs at the Rotomi in Pokémon Centers, and you’ll also be able to send Pokémon from your Boxes directly to any job you accept!

The Pokémon you send will help out with the job, and the experience will even help them grow. There are many different Poké Jobs available. You’ll find that certain Pokémon types are suited for specific jobs, too. Helping out for a long time or sending as many Pokémon as you can on a job can also net some good results. You might even receive some rare items!

They’ll receive rewards like Exp. Points or base points, and how much they get will depend on factors like how long they work and their types!

8_7_jobs_6.jpg

You can accept jobs from the Rotomi you can find in every Pokémon Center around the Galar region. Rotomi have many different features aside from Poké Jobs, too—you can access your Boxes or even have a go at the Loto-ID!

Also, without spoiling anything, the Angry Smoker Rumor did reveal the Rivals, Team Yell, and Galarian Form Exclusive Evolutions. However, the ones it talked about have not been revealed yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

British Weezing and Dark Type Zigzagoon/Linoone complete with a brand new third stage evolution. I'm okay with this!

No seriously, Weezing's regional variant makes thematic sense and is a really nice design with the top hat chimneys and gas clouds making up stylish Victorian facial hair. I really did that design. The Zigzagoon line is less interesting (much like Rattata, Meowth and Grimer in Alola, they're the same but dark type), but Obstagoon is the first old gen evolution we've seen since DPP (/XY if you include the one-off Sylveon). The fact that it seems to be regional only is also quite interesting.

I can't find any shits to give about the human characters or evil team though. Yawn.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regional forms being seemingly here to stay is going to be popular among many; I just hope there aren't so few and so buried among regular forms as in Sun/Moon.  Still, on the plus side, at least we know that it's not just Kanto Pokemon this time!  (Though still several.)  Regional evolutions is an item from the leak that I didn't think could be quite literal... but it looks like it is.  So there's no non-Garalian form of Obstagoon?  Curious.

Team Yell are more like Team Skull than I expected, but their very premise seems... unusually diluted compared to all previous teams.  But at this point it's hardly going to be a surprise when they turn out not to be the real villains, after Team Skull, so I suspect that won't feel too strange a twist.  It'll be interesting to see exactly what relationship Marnie has with them; I like the idea of a team leader who's not actually officially affiliated with their team.  (I'm also surprised that they're not yellow-themed, but never mind.)

Also, what's going on in that whole third of the Japanese trailer we didn't get?  It looked like there was a new Rotom form in there - but I can't imagine it being a true Pokemon or they'd have hyped it way up.

Edit: It's Rotomi, and it's giving you PokéJobs.  It looks a bit like elements of Poképelago, in that you send Pokemon off to work and they come back with items and experience?  Returns depend on Pokemon sent, typings, etc.

The Galarian variants look pretty cool, and I can't say I was expecting a brand new evolution for one of them. Nice surprise there! And a form-changing Pikachu clone, huh? I dig it.

So Team Yell are... punks? Again? I wonder if they'll be as much of a non-threat as Team Skull were.

42 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

pokemon_morpeko_2x.png

header.jpg?t=1556716198

I do quite like the regional forms, though.  Very creative spins on the old Pokémon, which is something I wish they'd do more often rather ethan shoving out hundreds of new ones every year.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, Tara said:

header.jpg?t=1556716198

I do quite like the regional forms, though.  Very creative spins on the old Pokémon, which is something I wish they'd do more often rather ethan shoving out hundreds of new ones every year.

That's..exactly what they've been doing since Gen VI? Gens 6 and 7's dexes are small as hell with the new mons, the count doesn't even reach 100. With Megas and Alola forms taking up more or less half of their respective dexes. I assume the same will go for 8

1 minute ago, Soniman said:

That's..exactly what they've been doing since Gen VI? Gens 6 and 7's dexes are small as hell with the new mons, the count doesn't even reach 100. With Megas and Alola forms taking up more or less half of their respective dexes. I assume the same will go for 8

Fair enough.  Alolan forms were pretty fun, but I thought Mega Evolutions were kind of... neat in concept but extremely shallow in execution?  It's easy to forget about them.

19 minutes ago, Tara said:

Fair enough.  Alolan forms were pretty fun, but I thought Mega Evolutions were kind of... neat in concept but extremely shallow in execution?  It's easy to forget about them.

Mega Evolutions can be summed up mainly as "the same Pokémon but angrier". Incredibly boring for the most part. But there were exceptions, like Ampharos.

I liked some of the Mega Evolutions which added new types or changed the Pokemon's design significantly, like actual Dragon Charizard, Bug/Flying Pinsir and ridiculous shell-engulfed Slowbro.  But it's no surprise that some of the more radical designs were also the ones people thought should have been legitimate new evolutions.  I actually think they may have had some influence on the development of Alolan Forms, and now Galarian Forms; it's interesting to see classic designs updated with new ideas.

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

Mega Evolutions can be summed up mainly as "the same Pokémon but angrier". Incredibly boring for the most part. But there were exceptions, like Ampharos.

Pretty much.  I liked some of the designs of some of the Megas, but in terms of both gameplay and narrative I don't think they added much.  Like, there's no limits on them, and for as much as I played ORAS, I never noticed a situation where the Mega Evolution increased my stats significantly enough to turn the tide of the battle.  Like, if I one-hit something as Mega Latias, I could probably do the same with regular Latias.

• Thumbs Up 1

I always thought it was interesting that Mega Evolutions were introduced in Gen 6 as a ultimate power created thru the bonds of humans & Pokémon...and then Gen 7 created Pokédex Entries that show that Mega Evolution is almost similar to Shadow Pokémon and that it causes some of them extreme pain or causes them to become so feral, they will attack anything and stop listening to their trainer's commands.

Also, fast fact: A trailer for Sun & Moon introduced Alola Forms and Team Skull in August.

After seeing Obstagoon and remembering the 4chan leak in May that had a lot of details that have been proven correct so far, 

Spoiler

I look forward to Farfetch'd getting its due.

edit: tagged if that is a legit spoiler

I'm glad we're continuing the trend of cross gen evolutions and regional variants, so I guess this is a thing going forward. Althought, I like Galarian Zigzagoon I can't help but feel its too much of a retread of Alolan Rattata and Raticate being a normal/dark rodent. 

Weezing is great though. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't have time to post a lot, but the new Zigzagoon line, especially Obstagoon are Kiss, right? I'm not crazy, am I? Black and white, star pattern, the long tongue?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Don't have time to post a lot, but the new Zigzagoon line, especially Obstagoon are Kiss, right? I'm not crazy, am I? Black and white, star pattern, the long tongue?

Pretty much

EBYX146W4AApP1T?format=jpg&name=medium

What's also interesting is our new rivals names:

• Bede can mean "prayer, request, supplication, order, command, rosary, or bead"
  • Marnie can mean "rejoice"
  • Thumbs Up 1

Biggest revelation here: Galar Zigzagoon is apparently the original, with regular Zigzagoon being the one that evolved from it.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Biggest revelation here: Galar Zigzagoon is apparently the original, with regular Zigzagoon being the one that evolved from it.

?

• Fist Bump 1

19 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

?

There is some speculation that the zigzag movements of the Zigzagoon in other regions stem from the restless nature of Galarian Zigzagoon, which is considered to be the oldest branch of the species.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, one of the things that keeps me personally coming back to Pokemon games is the fact that, in a given game, I can have a different party every time, mixing up how I play and helping to keep repeat playthroughs fresh. Speaking from the games I've personally played, while I haven't messed with the first three gens outside of randomizers (and really need to track down gen 4 and 5 games, but holy crap are they still expensive), X and Alpha Sapphire both had big, varied Regional Dexes so even now I can go back to them. Sun, on the other hand, had peanuts in comparison, which eventually made me resort to softmodding my 3DS just so I could run a randomizer on it and have more Pokemon to play through the game with. With the sheer number of Pokemon in the game (as in actually programmed in the game) I shouldn't have had to do that, but I did. And no, I have no interest at this point in buying US or UM at this point. I don't have a Switch right now, but I will eventually get one, and while I'm not gonna rage at Sword and Shield's limited Pokedex, I'm not gonna buy into a Pokemon game I can only play three or four times before running out of new Pokemon to play around with. 

I like how Team Yell will be your rival’s cheer squad.

Could it be the rivalries will be more intense this game? Instead of friends you battle at intervals.