Awoo.

Sonictrainer

I wonder if the Shield counterpart Galar evo will be a pure Ghost-type since I believe the only other version exclusive we've been previously aware of besides the obvious legendaries are the Shield-exclusive Ghost gym and the Sword-exclusive Fighting gym.

Also, this is like the first thing that has me seriously tempted to go for Sword instead.

36 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Funny that we'd have such opposite opinions on this. I looked at it thought "that design is simple without any superfluous fluff, I really like it". I always like simpler Pokémon designs. They just tend to be more palatable when they're fairly to the point. I really, really enjoy this design!

I'm confused about its typing though. Pure fighting type? That's a bit dull. Fighting/flying would be great, considering that I always thought that Hawlucha was a bit of a disappointment (cool idea, not such a great execution).

It goes without saying that Shield will get a parallel regional evolution; either a different evolution for Farfetch'd or another single-stage Pokémon will evolve instead.

If its body was two-toned like Farfetch'd, I could at least like it a bit more. The pure white of it feels a bit much, and for me at least, I feel adding a dull grey to the head and outer areas of the body would work better.

I'd seen somewhere that an Electric/Flying Chatot could be the Shield exclusive, but I think that was just someone guessing or hoping.

1 hour ago, Forgetful Panda said:

How could you give Deliberd a shield-related evolution without removing the Santa motif?

Make it fatter.

• Too Many Rings 1

1 hour ago, Forgetful Panda said:

How could you give Deliberd a shield-related evolution without removing the Santa motif?

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

I wonder if they mean Farfetch'd straight up isn't in the wild in Shield (but presumably you can still transfer and evolve it) or if for some reason it only evolves in one game.

Perhaps the equivalent will be a certain other infamously weak bird from the earlier generations.

Reveal hidden contents

225Delibird.png

I've seen "Deliwizard" suggested, which would be pretty cool (no pun intended). I don't think it necessarily needs to be shield-related when Sirfetch'd's design already includes both a sword and a shield.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, Celestia said:

I wonder if they mean Farfetch'd straight up isn't in the wild in Shield (but presumably you can still transfer and evolve it) or if for some reason it only evolves in one game.

It could just be the former, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if they've given Farfetch'd version-exclusive evolutions, similar to Rockruff in Sun/Moon.

4 hours ago, Forgetful Panda said:

Oh, how about making it a viking?

Only if it learns a move called "Pillage" which is a anti-version of Present.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sirfetch’d for Smash? Meteor Assault would likely be either a Neutral B or Side B that leaves it briefly inactive after full charge and a use.

• Chuckle 1

13 hours ago, Perkilator said:

Sirfetch’d for Smash? Meteor Assault would likely be either a Neutral B or Side B that leaves it briefly inactive after full charge and a use.

Wow, you want another anime swordsman?

Fly should absolutely be Up-B just for irony points.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Wow, you want another anime swordsman?

Fly should absolutely be Up-B just for irony points.

I'm working on a moveset right about now!

"abcboy" on Twitter has found codenames for some of the new Pokémon on the Japanese site, indicating what stage of evolution they're at (and which species Grookey evolves into):

So Corviknight is a three-stager, as is the norm for regional birds. I'm wondering if Polteageist is the final stage or if it evolves into an elephant teapot. If it does, I hope it looks good or that little one gets an Eviolite.

Now can we get some Impidimp info please!?

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

Well, it would have been a shocker had Corviknight been a single stage 'mon found early in the game. But is this the first time the regional bird has been revealed in its fully evolved form before its first stage has been shown?

Spoiler

I genuinely thought Corviknight was too cool to be the regional bird (and too not-Normal type, though of course there was always Talonflame), so this is great news to me; I can't wait to see its first stages.  Nice to have confirmation that some of the others evolve or have already evolved, too.

What is going on with the mysterious Impidimp, though?  I can only assume it's tied to (via evolution or some other mechanic) another Pokemon with a gimmick maybe, that they want to reveal at a later date.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, DarkRula said:
  Hide contents

Well, it would have been a shocker had Corviknight been a single stage 'mon found early in the game. But is this the first time the regional bird has been revealed in its fully evolved form before its first stage has been shown?

Talonflame was revealed along with Fletchling, and we didn't even know Fletchinder existed until the game was released.

We're getting a 24 hour livestream on Friday

Sonia

Starting at 6:00 a.m. PDT on Friday, October 4, we will broadcast live footage for 24 hours from a camera set up in Glimwood Tangle—a strange forest located deep within the Galar region.

This is your chance to get to know the various Pokémon that make their home in this forest! You may notice things that surprise you!

MESSAGE FROM SONIA
My name’s Sonia, and I’m a Pokémon researcher. Here in Galar, I’m always helping out with research for my gran—Professor Magnolia, that is!

I’m sending this message because I could really use your help with some research I’m doing.

Next week, a camera will be set up in a strange forest here in Galar known as Glimwood Tangle, and the camera will begin broadcasting live footage.

The broadcast will last for 24 hours! If you could take a gander when you have time, that’d be just great. Thanks in advance!

• Thumbs Up 1

Aside from the articles linked in their Twitter feed, the digital issue includes the following information:

Here is the Comment from Director Ohmori:
"There are 18 different types of gyms in this story and depending on which version, which gyms are in the minor league and which gyms are in the major league are different"

"For example, in Sword the fighting type Gym will be in the major league, but in Shield, the Ghost Type. The idea is that every year, the Galar Region is playing and which Gyms make it into the minor league versus the Major League changes"

• Thumbs Up 1

I assume that there can't possibly be eighteen gyms in the story, not least as we've been told that some are version-exclusive.  So my read is that only the "Major League" get formal gyms, and the Minor League have their leaders battleable in perhaps some sort of post-game facility (or just flat-out don't appear and only exist in fluff form).

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's a Gameinformer trailer

Get ready for a month of exclusive content from Game Informer covering Game Freak's Pokémon Sword & Shield on the Nintendo Switch. The month will include a rapid-fire interview with Shigeru Ohmori and Junichi Masuda, videos with art director James Turner, details on Sobble, Grookey, Scorbunny, and much more. Learn more at gameinformer.com/pokemon

I need a gif of Wooloo rolling...:D

Speaking of interviews, I thought this one was interesting

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/10/01/pokemon-sword-and-shield-have-mechanics-to-let-you-use-your-favorite-pokemon

The latest entries in the Pokémon series are making several tweaks to the franchise's long-running conventions. From introducing autosave to getting rid of the Exp. Share item in favor of an automatic solution, Sword and Shield change several things about the standard play of a Pokémon game. While Game Freak was open about a lot of the behind-the-scenes information surrounding the development of Pokémon Sword and Shield, the team was a bit cagier about a new battle mechanic it could only tease.

"Traditionally in the series, you start with your starter Pokémon and then you catch a lot of Pokémon in the beginning, and those are with you throughout your whole adventure, and the player gets attached to them. But a lot of times, they get into the competitive battles and they find they can’t actually use those Pokémon or they’re not competitive, so they have to go out and find the exact right Pokémon or breed them in a certain way to make sure they’re viable in competitive battle," planning director Kazumasa Iwao says. "This time around, we really wanted to introduce some systems that help the player be able to take those Pokémon they caught in the beginning, and the first one they chose, and actually take them straight into competitive battle. There’s a lot of hidden parameters to Pokémon that aren’t surfaced to the player. We're doing a lot of stuff in the back end introducing systems that allow players to make sure that Pokémon they want to use in competitive battles are viable."

When I ask Iwao for more details, he says he can't explain the system further, but he does go on to tease it a bit more. "I’ve got to be very vague about it, but one example – it will be visible to the player and they’ll know when they see it, I think – say you have a Pokémon where it’s got all the right stats and everything, but there’s a personality parameter as well that comes into play in battles, and it might not be the right personality, so you’ll breed until you get the right one, is what people do currently. But you’ll see that there’s a system in the game that will fix that for people."

While it's no longer necessary to do so, Iwao says players can still put effort into breeding to come up with the perfect specimen for competitive play. "We do think there’s value in that effort that players put into it," he says. "But at the same time, I think with Sword and Shield we wanted to also have a system that makes it a little bit more accessible. For example, if you’re bringing a Pokémon over from a previous game into these games, being able to use that specific Pokémon that has sentimental value to you in the battle system competitively is something we wanted to try this time."

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems the idea of 18 gyms was misunderstood by Game Informer (see their podcast here at about 26 minutes in), with TPC getting in contact to confirm the number is similar to previous games. The major and minor league stuff is just background lore by the sound of things.

Bit of a shame, given that it would have been a nice little wrinkle in the standard formula.

Breaking: TPC confirms that good new ideas aren't coming to new Pokémon games. Fans still waiting to find out what the catch in Wild Area is.

• Chuckle 1

That's more or less what I expected; it's the lore that there are eighteen gyms, and the ones that don't appear in the game are in the unseen "Minor League".  People really jumped the gun on this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, FFWF said:

That's more or less what I expected; it's the lore that there are eighteen gyms, and the ones that don't appear in the game are in the unseen "Minor League".  People really jumped the gun on this one.

You know what? They didn't. The Galar region has a much bigger focus on the League and Gyms than any previous game. The idea of minor league gyms that don't offer badges and are possibly optional (like the Fighting Dojo in Kanto or the Kantanion Gym in Alola) to offer additional challenges is not far fetched at all.