Awoo.

Sonictrainer

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Scorbunny is already shaping up to have a ridiculous early game advantage.

Hide contents

His flavor text already implies that he'll be on the speedy side, so he'll get to attack first. He'll wreck Corviknight thanks to it being a steel type, and Wooloo's buffing ability means that the Bunny easily bypasses what may be a battle of attrition for everyone else. Then on top of that, the first Gym (or one of the first) is a grass gym, leaving him another batch of easy EXP to mop the floor with

They could at least try to make me consider one of the other two.

Also... whats the appeal of the double pack here? If it follows the trends on the game before it, there really is no reason to buy both versions... a few trades for version exclusives is all it takes to even things out. Have they put out any reason to think this will be different?

Some people just enjoy that.  Plus, it's easier to get both legendaries if they don't put a way to get a second in your own game.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Sega DogTagz Absolutely no reason to buy both games. In the past, you could justify it by the fact that you only got one save file per game. And that made sense, even if buying a whole extra game heart for a second save file was just blowing money. But this time around, with the fact that Switch saves are saved to the system instead of the cart (although I guess the 3DS games also came in digital form) and because there'll presumably a save file for each profile on your system, that reason is no longer valid.

Also, thank you everyone for using spoiler tags. I don't want to see this game spoiled.

11 hours ago, Pawn said:

Someone just noticed on ResetEra that the wolves' bizarre names, Zacian and Zamazenta, probably come from "cyan" and "magenta". And that would mean

Reveal hidden contents

Team Yell - and of course the name of the third legendary - might reference "yellow". So maybe there is more to them than being the butt of the joke, assuming this is all entirely accurate.

That is fascinating.  And I wonder if it ties into some thoughts I've been having on the theme of the games.

I think one of the major themes of SwSh could be fame and celebrity.  Look at the emphasis on Pokemon battles as public entertainment; the stadiums, the cameras, the cheering fans.  Look at Leon, the champion, who dresses like royalty and is followed everywhere by crowds and clearly thinks he's the créme de la créme.  Look at the stuff in the leak, too.  I think the games might partly be about fame as a motivating factor, and how it becomes toxic when people focus more on fame for its own sake rather than actually being famous for something.  That could theoretically form a motivation to pursue a legendary Pokemon, possession of which would be an instant ticket to worldwide stardom.

I've been thinking about the legendaries, too.  Zacian and Zamazenta...  Partly about their typing; I assume that Steel is going to be in there, but what else?  You could make a good argument, but not necessarily a definitive one, for Steel/Fighting for Zacian (maybe something like Steel/Ground for Zamazenta to match); Fire and Ice are also possibilities given the abilities they manifest towards the end of their trailer... but at the end of the day typings and especially legendary typings aren't always obvious.  In much the same way, the third legendary in the customary trio isn't always obvious, either.  Rayquaza and Zygarde were freebies, sure, but Giratina, Kyurem, and Necrozma would have been difficult to predict.  I think there is a sense that the third legendary this time might be more overtly an enemy to the other two, though; not least as, unlike we may have assumed, Zacian and Zamazenta seem on pretty good terms with each other.  And I'm not the only one who interpreted the Zacian and Zamazenta trailer as cutting off early, just as they were being spooked by something else.  What trumps a sword and a shield?  If you put them together as allies rather than enemies they seem pretty knightly, and considering the kinds of legendary beasts the U.K. is perhaps more famous for, then I think we have a good case for what has, at the end of the day, been the typing for every single enhanced version cover legendary since Gen III: A pure, classical Dragon.

• Thumbs Up 3

Dynamax aside, I really enjoyed everything so far. I like all the new Pokemon shown, which isn't usual me.

Another new Pokémon has been spotted in the trailer:

nBFl14h.jpg
People are suggesting Skwovet/Greedunt from the leak.
  • Thumbs Up 3

If you're at E3 this year, you'll be able to try out a demo of Sword/Shield.

Serebii.net: It has been confirmed that Pokémon Sword & Shield are to have a playable demo at E3 for attendees. E3 runs from June 11th through 13th in Los Angeles. at present it's unclear what'll be included in the demo but we'll provide all details as they come

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Scorbunny is already shaping up to have a ridiculous early game advantage.

Reveal hidden contents

His flavor text already implies that he'll be on the speedy side, so he'll get to attack first. He'll wreck Corviknight thanks to it being a steel type, and Wooloo's buffing ability means that the Bunny easily bypasses what may be a battle of attrition for everyone else. Then on top of that, the first Gym (or one of the first) is a grass gym, leaving him another batch of easy EXP to mop the floor with

They could at least try to make me consider one of the other two.

I don’t mind having the early game advantage. I’m already having my heart set on Scorbunny, so I’m fine with…well, finishing the game a bit faster.

I think there was also another new dinosaur Pokemon in the trailer too. Looked like a Triceratops.

2 minutes ago, Champion Ellipsis-Ultima said:

I think there was also another new dinosaur Pokemon in the trailer too. Looked like a Triceratops.

Where?

With the exception of Wooloo, I'm not really feeling any of the new Pokémon designs, honestly.  They all just look far too busy in my opinion, and my eyes just can't focus on any one aspect, and the colors are just all over the place.  Kind of like Corviknight but not really as a Pokémon.

5 hours ago, Perkilator said:

I don’t mind having the early game advantage. I’m already having my heart set on Scorbunny, so I’m fine with…well, finishing the game a bit faster.

Too much of an early game advantage turns the game into easy mode, and we all know one of the biggest knocks against most pokemon games is the lack of a real difficulty curve. So I'm essentially encouraged to not pick the starter I want, because it would make the first few hours a walk in the park.

Honestly, those first 15-20 levels are really the most "threatening" moments as far as getting pushed to the edge. The lack of a full team, the lack of coverage moves and TMs to rectify that and the constant desire to grind out a few more battles before retreating to a pokemon center... those first few hours are important. Without them, the game is just begging to be steam rolled until after the credits roll for beating the elite 4.

I'd love a Hard Mode option for this one. But I say that about every pokemon game.

On 6/5/2019 at 5:31 PM, Pawn said:

Someone just noticed on ResetEra that the wolves' bizarre names, Zacian and Zamazenta, probably come from "cyan" and "magenta". And that would mean

Reveal hidden contents

Team Yell - and of course the name of the third legendary - might reference "yellow". So maybe there is more to them than being the butt of the joke, assuming this is all entirely accurate.

Hmmm...Zacian, Zamazenta...Zazellow?

7 hours ago, Tara said:

With the exception of Wooloo, I'm not really feeling any of the new Pokémon designs, honestly.  They all just look far too busy in my opinion, and my eyes just can't focus on any one aspect, and the colors are just all over the place.  Kind of like Corviknight but not really as a Pokémon.

I think the new pokemons feels Pokemon-y aside from Corviknight. Just that, as mentioned before, it feels like they're based off past designs. Like it was done by a new designer who was unsure and decided to use the past ones as reference.

But the legendary could've done way better. Their design is very....well, different compared with the past legendaries. Very busy, coloring looks mismatched (like a fan-recolor)  and a bit too similar (same/very similar color palette without any distinct characteristics) to be treated as the head of two versions.

Zacian and Zamazenta aren't the best designs, to me, but I've been trying to understand them - and I think the commonality between them is very much deliberate.  There are a lot of subtle differences between them, from detailing to actual colour shade, but at the end of the day people aren't wrong in seeing them as basically two gold-wielding blue wolves - with red and white highlights, which I suspect is not unrelated to the colours of the Union Jack.  But I think the similarity comes from the fact that, far more so than previous legendaries, these two are partners which ultimately come from the same point of origin; and that their golden sword and shield, rather than being true parts of their bodies, have their own distinct history.  I'm making some serious speculations about the lore behind them here, but I'm reminded of the way the Beasts of Johto may originally have been different Pokemon which were revived as Raikou, Entei, and Suicune; what I suspect about Zacian and Zamazenta is that they really were once just a pair of powerful wolf Pokemon of a single lost species, and that they were given their crowns and sword and shield by the people of Galar in order to fight against their enemy.  Considering the hypothesised colour scheme of the third legendary, I think it's even possible that their sword and shield were originally pieces which they tore off that third legendary, and which were reforged into their present forms.

• Thumbs Up 3

GameXplain Analysis and compare/contrast between the first trailer.

EDIT: Rumor Stuff

Spoiler

Ok, so another famous leaker, who is Chinese and likes to post leaks through images, without context, has posted recently....and a few things are matching up to the other leak...

riddler-leak-swordshield.jpg

• Follows previous rumor in regards to starter evolutions
  • Shows that the Pokémon found on a trainer’s shirt in the latest trailer is the final evolution of the Chipmunk/Squirrel line (Greedunt?)
  • Hints that Corviknight will not evolve and does not have a pre-evolution
  • Hints that Eldegoss evolves (or, less likely in my estimation, Dredgnaw has a pre-evolution)
  • Shows that Dredgnaw has an even gnarlier looking evolution
  • Hints that Wooloo evolves (or, less likely, the electric corgi-like Pokémon has a pre-evolution)
  • Shows that the electric corgi evolves into the Pokémon seen in the stadium stands
  • Includes Gigantamax forms for Meowth, Pikachu and Lapras
  • References Galarian forms for Meowth and Persian, plus regional evolution for Farfetch’d (Sirfetch’d?)
  • References pelican-like Pokémon
  • Pegs the rune drawing on the hill as the third legendary—probably Eternatus

Also, if you were curious like me, this is a image they posted back before Sun & Moon were released.

riddlerdex3-768x560.jpg

13 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

GameXplain Analysis and compare/contrast between the first trailer.

EDIT: Rumor Stuff

Reveal hidden contents

Ok, so another famous leaker, who is Chinese and likes to post leaks through images, without context, has posted recently....and a few things are matching up to the other leak...

riddler-leak-swordshield.jpg

Also, if you were curious like me, this is a image they posted back before Sun & Moon were released.

riddlerdex3-768x560.jpg

Scorbunny looks a lot like a sportsman to evolve into some caped knight/hero (Also it's name leans a lot towards that theme).

And, according to this leak, Grookey is going to achieve evolution With a Little Help of it's Friends

I didn't follow this business with the so-called "Chinese Riddler" for Sun and Moon, and I'm not about to start if the best they can do is regurgitate stroke for stroke a leak that's practically confirmed.

• Thumbs Up 1

In today's E3 Presentation, the Water Gym Leader, Nessa was revealed.

nessa.jpg

She also appears in the E3 demo.

Also, some new Pokémon have been found in the demo:

yamper.jpg

This adorable Electric type is called Yamper.

impidimp2.jpg

Introducing our first Dark/Fairy Pokémon, Impidimp.

There's no official art of these yet.

However, Nessa has been added to the official sites:

people_nessa.png

6_11_nessa_1.jpg6_11_nessa_2.jpg6_11_nessa_3.jpg

Nessa is an expert on Water-type Pokémon and one of the Gym Leaders you must face on your adventure. Her calm and collected attitude hides a competitive spirit and indomitable will. She will overwhelm any opponent in battle by blasting them with powerful Water-type moves.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised no one's mentioning the Pokemon Home Drama.

Like, shit. I was so psyched about Yamper, but hearing "Only Pokemon in the Galar Pokedex can be brought to Galar" was a freaking hype guillotine.

I think the thing that makes me about the maddest about it is, you know gen 1's gonna get all, if not most, of its Pokemon in.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't believe that they're finally dropping the ball this way. It's one thing I never expected them to do, especially when  moving on to a home console with way now power and storage capacity than any of the previous handheld games.

"You can only transfer Pokémon in the Galar dex to Pokémon Home", the immediate insinuation being that not every Pokémon is available in Sword and Shield. That seemed to be further clarified by Masuda stressing that they thought long and hard about which Pokémon to include that fit the region, and how they put a lot of effort into making those Pokémon have personalities. I don't care what their excuse is, this is a HUGE omission and really, really sucks. I'm glad they were open about it so soon, but damn. Just why?It was bad enough in LGP/E being Kanto only.