Awoo.

Sonictrainer

4 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Here is a quick list of Dual-Types that didn't exist during Gen 7:

Surprised there are so many normal combo's on the list, considering how easy they are to make. You could probably take 80% of the pure types, duct tape normal to them and get away with it...

I would hope gamefreak checks at least a handfull off the list there. A pokemon with a new unique typing almost automatically cements a niche spot in the meta, almost regardless of its stats. If you want to give people more options to look at and exploit the new pokes, thats the easiest way to go.

So I watched this video on the reveal earlier done by Gnoggin...and I think he may be onto something with what these games' "gimmick" may be. For that, let's take a look at the Japanese logos:

pokemon-swordshield-logo-japanese.jpg

Notice that red and blue pokeball like symbol? Now look at the previous two gen logos for their starting set of games:

tumblr_o39srmc9ZO1v9ygqeo1_1280.png

8a34ab85ddfe6c0c2154dab63f4a73cbdc4fb0f7

The symbols for Mega Evolution and Z-Crystals are in the exact same locations as the one in SWSH. As we all know those two mechanics were the defining gimmicks they were pushing and both played roles in their respective game plots. Also if you noticed in the trailer right before the player entered that Grass Gym a statue bearing that logo was shown. Plus it's on the jersey of player before he enters a stadium, which presumably what these new Gyms are. 

That logo must be significant otherwise why would GF put it in the logo? Also I think the traditional concept of what we know as Gyms in previous games may not be the same for these. These look to me much more grandiose, with large crowds and stadium like atmosphere. That might actually play into being a new kind of battling mechanic altogether. Who knows.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a spinning Pokeball with a football aesthetic, because Pokemon battles are football in this region.  (There had better still be gym puzzles.)  Short of physically booting your Pokeball into the opponent's goal, it's hard to anticipate what they might do with it.  Bring back rotation battles and have all of your Pokemon deployed on the field at once to allude to football's team-based nature?

Let's go Pikachu bored me a lot, I bought it for nostalgia but… maybe I'm just not into Pokemon, still it's really simple and dull. Now, this one looks pretty cool, I do like the aesthetics and the new monsters, so maybe I'll think about it, we'll see...

So, it looks like Grookey has a music theme, rather than a sports one. Its name in other languages uses words related to sound, so Groove + monkey makes the most sense. Scorbunny's a sports mascot all over, but that leaves Sobble, who people are now thinking might evolve into a Loch Ness-style chameleon. It's a fun idea, and different enough to Lapras, for an elusive monster to camouflage itself in water. That would really make Ghost a good candidate for a secondary type.

EDIT:

Soooo this advert for toys popped up for the new movie:

D0g5y5aXcAY08Ec.jpg:large

The text under Mewtwo apparently reads:

"Armoured Mewtwo". While that could be the original armour Giovanni gave him, why cover it up? And there was a 4chan post revealing the names "Sword and Shield" a while back, which included the concept of "Armoured Evolutions", with Mewtwo, Charizard and Flygon receiving them. It would fit the theme of S&S, but who knows.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh, just yesterday, I was imagining Sobble evolving into a spy-looking Pokémon...but I guess a Loch-Ness makes more sense...

Ah, yes, let's talk about rumors, shall we?

The first one is a set of "Fake" Starters that was created some time ago. 

DWf5PLQXcAM8bSH.jpg:large

While the platypus doesn't really exist, the grass & fire ones seem a little bit close to Grookey & Scorbunny.

(Plus, that fire bunny is really creative)

Next is something to take with a grain of salt, but will be spoiler'd just in case:

Spoiler

Sword-leak-1-1030x327.jpg

Scary Cyndaquil eyes aside, Armor does seem like something Pokemon would do.

As for Charizard, Mewtwo, & Zerora getting new forms...seems fake to me.

Finally, I have to share this awesome Galar Starter Wallpaper created by Arkeis-pokemon on Deviantart

dd0vqwh-dae04071-ef18-4730-aaad-3ea7b0a9

EDIT: GameXplain Analysis

Armour Evolution sounds neat in theory, Pokemon getting swanky armoured designs, but if it's just about giving more toys to the Pokemon who are already cool and powerful like Charizard and Mewtwo, then that's a hard pass from me.  Here's how I'd do it: Every Pokemon can Armour Evolve, it's just certain ones that get special designs for it.  A flat boost to the defensive stats similar to the auras of Totem Pokemon, designed to make high-level play less dependent on one-shot attacks, the second type becomes Steel unless the Pokemon already has Steel, and let's say they get some fancy new move based on their typing and stats, similar to a Z-move.

10 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

[GameXplain video]

This was pointed out at ResetEra:

IdhNz9R.jpg

I can see why Derek missed it though. The map really isn't meant to be accurate and hides a fair bit.

Yeah, I'd say that's right. Even though the map doesn't have the electric symbol on its version of that building, you can just about see the start of that circular rooftop within the game. Derrick did say the map was incomplete earlier in the video, so it seems he didn't make the connection.

15 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

While the platypus doesn't really exist, the grass & fire ones seem a little bit close to Grookey & Scorbunny.

I prefer this Lemur's design over Grookey's to be honest.

Next is something to take with a grain of salt, but will be spoiler'd just in case:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Charizard Armour Evolve to.....

RoIdLlM.png

FLAMEDRAZARD

• Chuckle 1

Fun Fact: In all irony, the platypus is the only one that actually exists.  The owners of the game Temtem (A Pokemon MMORPG) bought the concept of the platypus for the game from person who faked it.  So if you really, liked it, you can still get it:

Reveal hidden contents

So I just realized that the bunny in the concept art has Audino's eyes.

• My Emmerdoods 1

On 3/1/2019 at 1:31 AM, Sonictrainer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Finally, I have to share this awesome Galar Starter Wallpaper created by Arkeis-pokemon on Deviantart

dd0vqwh-dae04071-ef18-4730-aaad-3ea7b0a9

Honestly, those fake starter illustrations look more actual Pokemon than the real ones. 

GameXplain have analysed the map:

I love the idea of Victory Road taking place in the tower itself, as it would be a nice change of pace. According to them, the gyms look to be:

- Fire (although I would have guessed Steel for the industrial city, but either works)

- Grass

- Water

- Ground

- Fairy (Poison has been guessed before, but the style of the town very much lends itself to this type)

- Ice

- Dragon

- All

• Thumbs Up 4

They definitely present a compelling reading of the route through the map, and now they've put down the idea of the industrial town's stadium being Fire-type, I'm absolutely convinced because that would make the first three gyms the three basic types.  I was hoping for Steel, too, but I don't think it's an appropriate early-game gym type.  Likewise, I'm still rooting for that Ice stadium to actually be Dark, but I shouldn't get my hopes up.  I do think they're overstating the significance of that Lucario vs. Tyranitar battle, though; I assumed they were placeholders put down just to show off the battlefield.

• Thumbs Up 2

40 minutes ago, FFWF said:

They definitely present a compelling reading of the route through the map, and now they've put down the idea of the industrial town's stadium being Fire-type, I'm absolutely convinced because that would make the first three gyms the three basic types.  I was hoping for Steel, too, but I don't think it's an appropriate early-game gym type.  Likewise, I'm still rooting for that Ice stadium to actually be Dark, but I shouldn't get my hopes up.  I do think they're overstating the significance of that Lucario vs. Tyranitar battle, though; I assumed they were placeholders put down just to show off the battlefield.

True. I'm wondering if the final gym is simply Normal-type, since that doesn't have any specific visual indicator.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really cool fanart of the Galar Region Starters in the Red/Blue Style by Artsy Theo on Twitter

D0qdZGSX4AEzSLZ.png

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, Balding Spider said:

Sobble confirmed best starter.

Decidueye would have been the correct choice for Alola, then.

Noticeably the most unrpresentative of a specific body type and gender role when compared to macho Incineroar and feminine siren Primarina.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:41 AM, Pawn said:

So, it looks like Grookey has a music theme, rather than a sports one. Its name in other languages uses words related to sound, so Groove + monkey makes the most sense. Scorbunny's a sports mascot all over, but that leaves Sobble, who people are now thinking might evolve into a Loch Ness-style chameleon. It's a fun idea, and different enough to Lapras, for an elusive monster to camouflage itself in water. That would really make Ghost a good candidate for a secondary type.

EDIT:

Soooo this advert for toys popped up for the new movie:

D0g5y5aXcAY08Ec.jpg:large

The text under Mewtwo apparently reads:

Hide contents

"Armoured Mewtwo". While that could be the original armour Giovanni gave him, why cover it up? And there was a 4chan post revealing the names "Sword and Shield" a while back, which included the concept of "Armoured Evolutions", with Mewtwo, Charizard and Flygon receiving them. It would fit the theme of S&S, but who knows.

Mmm... Even more Gen 1 pandering with a little bit of something else to squander the amount of flack they'd get.

Sounds believable to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could see Sobble having feminine evolutions if it goes the Nessie route, but more in the Serperior way than the Delphox/Primarina way.

3 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

I could see Sobble having feminine evolutions if it goes the Nessie route, but more in the Serperior way than the Delphox/Primarina way.

Delphox didn't seem all that feminine to me.  Primarina, on the other hand (Shivers).  How was I supposed to feel good about beating up a ballerina?!?

I don't think Delphox was intentionally the feminine one (since it's more like a generic robe), but it was how it was most often read. 

You know... having a Pokémon based on Nessie is quite possible since the new region is based on the UK. But I do not think that they will use this concept for a regular starter Pokémon. Nessie is a mythological creature, and because of that fact, I see it more been a pretty rare Pokémon. Maybe even a one of a kind creature. 

1 hour ago, Rowl said:

You know... having a Pokémon based on Nessie is quite possible since the new region is based on the UK. But I do not think that they will use this concept for a regular starter Pokémon. Nessie is a mythological creature, and because of that fact, I see it more been a pretty rare Pokémon. Maybe even a one of a kind creature. 

Selkies and mermaids are also mythological, yet Primarina covered both. Besides, Sobble's line could always draw a little influence from Nessie, in addition to something else. Just referencing Nessie alone is covered by Lapras anyway.

If there's one thing I want from these new games; the newer Pokemon should be more accessible than the older ones.

For the past few gens, it's felt a bit ridiculous that I can't find the new Pokemon so easily, but I'll encounter the older ones more often. Not to mention how some are available in one area as well. Not only was Dedenne the only Kalosian Pokemon on Route 11, it also had a 5% encounter rate. Togedemaru was slightly better, since it wasn't the only Alolan Pokemon (with a 10% encounter rate), but it was only available in one area, which I passed by the first time around because Blush Mountain was somewhat hidden.

Santalune Forest may even look fair, but for every encounter you have a 10-20% chance of finding 2 new Pokemon, and a 4-6-10-20% chance of finding 8 older ones, not counting doubles. You're more likely to come across an old Pokemon than a new one... in one of the first forests you travel through.

And then you have offenders like Mimikyu, who are only available after beating a Trial on top of their 5% encounter rate amongst the 40% Golbats and Haunters.

I'm not saying they can't vary in rarity or that we shouldn't have old Pokemon, but most new Pokemon should take the center stage in their own region, because you shouldn't be going out of your way to find them (in the sense that even the common like ones are a bit of an effort). The first encounter and capture for a new trainer should not be a Pidgey or Caterpie, it should be that region's counterparts.

Actually, speaking of which, I'm excited to see what that region's bug and flying/normal type will be.

• Thumbs Up 2