Awoo.

Sonictrainer

3 hours ago, Pawn said:

Selkies and mermaids are also mythological, yet Primarina covered both. Besides, Sobble's line could always draw a little influence from Nessie, in addition to something else. Just referencing Nessie alone is covered by Lapras anyway.

Could have sworn Lapras was loosely based on a dinosaur. The Plesiosaur if I'm remembering correctly.

• Thumbs Up 1

So we all agree that Scorbunny is DEFINITELY gonna be rocking some sick muscles? 

Or what do you think it'll look like in it's final evo?

9 hours ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

If there's one thing I want from these new games; the newer Pokemon should be more accessible than the older ones.

For the past few gens, it's felt a bit ridiculous that I can't find the new Pokemon so easily, but I'll encounter the older ones more often. Not to mention how some are available in one area as well. Not only was Dedenne the only Kalosian Pokemon on Route 11, it also had a 5% encounter rate. Togedemaru was slightly better, since it wasn't the only Alolan Pokemon (with a 10% encounter rate), but it was only available in one area, which I passed by the first time around because Blush Mountain was somewhat hidden.

Santalune Forest may even look fair, but for every encounter you have a 10-20% chance of finding 2 new Pokemon, and a 4-6-10-20% chance of finding 8 older ones, not counting doubles. You're more likely to come across an old Pokemon than a new one... in one of the first forests you travel through.

And then you have offenders like Mimikyu, who are only available after beating a Trial on top of their 5% encounter rate amongst the 40% Golbats and Haunters.

I'm not saying they can't vary in rarity or that we shouldn't have old Pokemon, but most new Pokemon should take the center stage in their own region, because you shouldn't be going out of your way to find them (in the sense that even the common like ones are a bit of an effort). The first encounter and capture for a new trainer should not be a Pidgey or Caterpie, it should be that region's counterparts.

Actually, speaking of which, I'm excited to see what that region's bug and flying/normal type will be.

I couldn't agree more.

I don't mind them only adding about a hundred new Pokemon per game.  I don't even mind, at a stretch, if about a third of those Pokemon are new forms of some sort, as with the Mega Evolutions and Alolan Forms (though Alola really had far too many Pokemon which were just, in practice, more post-game legendaries).  But what I cannot understand is this practice they seem to have of almost hiding the new Pokemon; drowning them out amidst a sea of old ones.  Supplement your slimline Pokedex with some classics, by all means; they'll still be new to new players.  But don't put them centre-stage ahead of the actual new Pokemon!  The Alolan Forms were really quite terribly mistreated in this regard; the Alolan Pokedex had, to my recollection, nearly four times as many vanilla Kanto Pokemon than it did Alolan Forms.  It destroyed the whole point of the Alolan Forms.

I still have to be won over on this game.  I'm really intrigued by the prospect of the setting, seeing what GameFreak makes of a Pokemon version of the U.K. (or just England, I don't truly believe it's been definitively settled); but as a game, I am continually reminded of the things they did better in the past.  I like to think that they'd be on top form now that the mainline series is out of handhelds and into main consoles - but then I remember that their Switch debut was Let's Go...

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Balding Spider said:

Could have sworn Lapras was loosely based on a dinosaur. The Plesiosaur if I'm remembering correctly.

Indeed. Which is exactly what Nessie is also said to be a form of.

1 hour ago, Foxthefox1000 said:

So we all agree that Scorbunny is DEFINITELY gonna be rocking some sick muscles? 

Or what do you think it'll look like in it's final evo?

He'll look something like this

hqdefault.jpg

New information from the Official Nintendo Twitter:

D1KAqloU0AE8TFs.jpgD1KArdwVYAAgvBb.jpg

It appears in #PokemonSwordShield that gyms in the Galar region are now bigger than ever! What types of Gym Masters are waiting for you to challenge them? You and your new partner Pokémon will have to train hard and find out!

Gym Masters, huh?

• Thumbs Up 4

That's looking good.

Is this sunset? It looks like the time of day is set to the sunset.

• Thumbs Up 1

...and it appears the tweet above was deleted from the Official Nintendo Account...

Looks like someone in charge of the Twitter might have accidentally leaked the information too early.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was sort of turned off by the starters at first, but lately Scorbunny has really been growing on me.  If for no other reason than the Sam and Max memes.

I'll be interested to see if this turns into the proper console Pokémon RPG game that I've been wanting for years or if it will just be a watered down version of the games' core elements. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

46 minutes ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

So...

Look like Armored Pokemon may be a thing.

That might be referring to the armor Team Rocket gave Mewtwo in the anime, since the first movie is getting a remake.

220px-Mewtwo_in_armor.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Digimon Adventure 2 did it as a full concept (as in fully realized it) first.

/run

• Thumbs Up 1

I doubt Armored Pokemon could disappoint me as much as Patamon using the Digimental of Light. Nothing will ever be that much of a letdown, since it doesn't seem like Armoring up will actually change a Pokemon's species.

It's probably the most natural form of souping up a Pokemon out of the past two (Necrozma's light and irradiated stones from an ancient nuke), and we've seen it before, even fleetingly.

But I do wanna say, as much as I love this kind of stuff, I just wish they'd build on Megas and Regional forms while they were at it.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

How much is double posting frowned upon?

Haven't seen this mentioned in the forum yet, but someone recreated the route theme from the Pokemon Direct:

It might not be 1 to 1 (according to the creator, it was hard to hear it in all the other noises), but I really like this so far. So lively, but a touch wistful.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a contest in Coro Coro Magazine to name a brand new Steel Type move.

The first details are starting to come from CoroCoro, with translations being tentative while we await screenshots. In CoroCoro there is a contest to name a brand new move. This is open to Japanese residents. 

This move has the following bits of data
-Type: Steel
-Category: Special
-Damage: 140
-Effect: Does major damage but reduces user's Hit Points by 50%

The entries are needing to be no more than 8 characters long using Katakana, Hiragana, or English characters and people have until May 10th 2019 to enter. The overall winner will receive both Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield while 20 runners up will get one copy of the game

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

The first details are starting to come from CoroCoro, with translations being tentative while we await screenshots. In CoroCoro there is a contest to name a brand new move. This is open to Japanese residents. 

This move has the following bits of data
-Type: Steel
-Category: Special
-Damage: 140
-Effect: Does major damage but reduces user's Hit Points by 50%

The entries are needing to be no more than 8 characters long using Katakana, Hiragana, or English characters and people have until May 10th 2019 to enter. The overall winner will receive both Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield while 20 runners up will get one copy of the game

That's the first time since Gen 4's Draco Meteor!

I saw someone on another forum think it should be called something like "double edged sword" and I think that'd be a good one (if the name length weren't an issue).

• Thumbs Up 3

32 minutes ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

That's the first time since Gen 4's Draco Meteor!

I saw someone on another forum think it should be called something like "double edged sword" and I think that'd be a good one (if the name length weren't an issue).

The character length is only relevant for the Japanese name though.

Man someone at Game Freak is probably feeling really stupid about naming an attack "Double-Edge" all those years ago.

24 minutes ago, Pawn said:

The character length is only relevant for the Japanese name though.

I thought it would be a bit long in Japanese, but it actually looks like it could work.

両刃の剣 is "double-edged sword" according to word hippo (... if they're right). If that's the case, I wouldn't doubt that someone's going to submit it.

It sounds like we might get to see a brand new Fire Pokémon in the movie. Hopefully it's not just Scorbunny.

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

I thought it would be a bit long in Japanese, but it actually looks like it could work.

両刃の剣 is "double-edged sword" according to word hippo (... if they're right). If that's the case, I wouldn't doubt that someone's going to submit it.

Japanese pokemon doesn't use kanji for names and moves. It'll be in hiragana, so もろはのつるぎ (mo-ro-ha no tsu-ru-gi). Which is still under the limit. Though I feel it should be a physical move for it to make sense. Also, there's already a move called もろはのずつき (mo-ro-ha no zu-tsu-ki), "Head Smash" in English.

I need to mention though. The Japanese name doesn't have to be translatable into English, or vise-versa. There are many moves that have a different name in Japanese and English, for example

• "Mindblown" and ビックリヘッド = "Head Surprise"
  • "Assist" and ねこのて = "Cat's Paw"
  • "Head Charge" and アフロブレイク = "Afro Break"
  • "False Swipe" and みねうち = "to strike with the back of one's sword" (for reference, Final Fantasy translates it as Swordstrike or Bladebash)

So whatever silly name Japan comes up with, the English version can still be called Double-edged Sword. Or not, idk what the word limit for the English version is.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Pawn said:

It sounds like we might get to see a brand new Fire Pokémon in the movie. Hopefully it's not just Scorbunny.

Add that to the “professor oak is a liar”/retcon list, since that means there’s more than the original 151 at that time lol. Actually, can the film just officially retcon that information out of existence and include all the regions via references/Pokémon or something?

It could easily be Double-edged sword in the Japanese version since the original Japanese name of Double-edge is completely different (Life-risking tackle).

20 hours ago, Pawn said:

Speaking of movie-related stuff, the trailer also shows Mewtwo in his armour, and it has a completely different design from the original movie. Make of that what you will.