Awoo.

Sonictrainer

To be honest, I'm not convinced that that's true; and certainly there were never going to be eighteen full-sized gyms in the game, which was the implausible scenario a lot of people seemed to jump to.  In retrospect, even the eighteen leader-equivalent characters I was proposing was excessive.  And so here we are, in the situation of people inventing a fantasy feature for Sword/Shield that was never going to happen and then turning around and criticising GameFreak for not including what they never promised.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's a shame. 18 gyms means they would have had to include a Dark gym. Now they'll probably skip over it YET AGAIN.

Here's a quick interview from Gameinformer. Nothing entirely new but it some of the questions & answers are interesting.

The live event is started, but...don't get your hopes up. Right now it's just trees and mushrooms.

Yyyaaaaawn...let me know when something interesting happens.

The most interesting sights so far have been:

mn7Pvff.jpg

Impidimp strolling in like it's no big thing and...

o8Axt8h.gif

... something else galloped by the side of the screen (Galarian Ponyta?).

• Thumbs Up 2

Serebii.net:

• Ponyta's cry could be heard
  • Sometimes, you can hear the galloping of a Pokémon

Yeah, I think it's a Galarian Ponyta/Rapidash.

Which is cool, but I hope we get more non-Kanto Regional Variants

EDIT:

Concept Art, thanks to Gameinformer

As you probably already know, our cover story this month features Pokémon Sword and Shield. As part of our coverage, we received a glimpse of concept art from the early days of development. Now, you can get a look at these never-before-seen pieces of concept art. These pieces were illustrated by director Shigeru Ohmori, art director James Turner, and managing director/art director at Game Freak Ken Sugimori, who has been a character designer and artist for the series since the first entries.

stadiumcrop.jpg

A concept image by James Turner showing what a Galar region Pokémon battle broadcast on TV and enjoyed by the masses might look like. The idea is to make it look like a still from a TV broadcast. Some of the U.I. design in the game was inspired by the typical flat design you might see in a sports broadcast.

bg.jpg

This was drawn by James Turner, the art director, as an example of the final art direction he wanted to pursue for Pokémon Sword & Shield. We then developed 3D models of the same environment to try to match the look.

01_0.jpg

This was a quick sketch done by Ken Sugimori while we were talking about just how big the Poké Ball should grow in size when thrown out to catch Dynamax Pokémon. We came up with the idea that the ball would expand from the center during this conversation.

hero_house.jpg

A concept image of the player character's home, inspired by what a typical U.K. home might look like. With lots of small objects placed in the house, it was difficult to replicate it faithfully in 3D. Some adjustments in positioning of rooms were made in the final version, so I hope players will look forward to seeing how it has changed from this concept!

hometown.jpg

A concept image by James Turner that aims to capture some of the feeling and color of an environment in the U.K. The coloring of the patchwork farmland is very similar to what ended up in the final game.

02_0.jpg

An early concept image of a Galar region Pokémon Center drawn by Shigeru Ohmori while he was traveling for media interviews ahead of the launch of Pokémon Sun & Moon. Pokémon Centers are meant to be a building that symbolizes the region in which they exist. This design was partially inspired by pubs Ohmori saw in the U.K. and reflect the concept that lots of people would gather here to relax and watch Pokémon Battles.

03_0.jpg

This is an early sketch that Ken Sugimori came up with while we sat and discussed what Rotom might look like it if it inhabited a mobile phone. The face rotation gimmick remained through the final version of the design.

05_0.jpg

This was an illustration by Shigeru Ohmori while he was visiting the Lake District in the U.K. during a trip for media interviews ahead of the launch of Pokémon Sun & Moon. The winding path scenery particularly captured his imagination and this specific illustration ended up being incorporated into one of the routes in the game. He also heard a legend that catching the floating fluffy cotton balls in the air could bring good fortune, and that served as the inspiration for Gossifleur.

06.jpg

This was another sketch done by Shigeru Ohmori while traveling the U.K. during a trip for media interviews ahead of the launch of Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon. It's inspired by the scenery he saw in Windermere. It was done in late September of 2016, before the release of Pokémon Sun & Moon. He was inspired the atmosphere of the town, with its countless sheep and walls of stacked dry-stone. This concept ended up serving as the basis for the design of first town in the game.

04_0.jpg

This was another sketch of scenery by Shigeru Ohmori while traveling the U.K. during a trip for media interviews ahead of the launch of Pokémon Sun & Pokémon Moon. He was inspired by the beautiful scenery of lakes and rivers with towns far in the distance that he saw from inside the train he was riding. It gave him the impression of endless adventure and he wanted to instill this feeling into the game. This concept helped inform the design of the Wild Areas.

• Thumbs Up 1

What could be a Galarian Ponyta did start to emerge in the background when...

Impdimp decided to get up close and personal, of course. Here's the best look we get:

image.png.8ec34e7d2f418adda3caf50dc7fabeb5.png

EDIT: Here's another look. This time with rainbows!

kEPpM9n.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Some screenshots from the stream are popping up on my Tumblr dash:

b7f5cf2b1bfa149e6f5b0d6cbb82325d44d7f629

f32ffc91650e9f80595e060ce65e146c76f18913

This blog I've been following has been posting updates

I'm wondering if it'll be a pre-evolution for a Galarian Ponyta or if it's meant to be smaller than the regular one. They seem to be doing more with the regional forms like adding exclusive evolutions to the lines, like with Obstagoon and Sirfetch'd, so I wouldn't exclude it. I'm really liking this design so I can't wait to see them talk about it officially (and forget to talk about Impidimp again)

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Pawn said:

What could be a Galarian Ponyta did start to emerge in the background when...

Impdimp decided to get up close and personal, of course. Here's the best look we get:

image.png.8ec34e7d2f418adda3caf50dc7fabeb5.png

EDIT: Here's another look. This time with rainbows!

kEPpM9n.gif

33 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Some screenshots from the stream are popping up on my Tumblr dash:

b7f5cf2b1bfa149e6f5b0d6cbb82325d44d7f629

f32ffc91650e9f80595e060ce65e146c76f18913

This blog I've been following has been posting updates

I'm wondering if it'll be a pre-evolution for a Galarian Ponyta or if it's meant to be smaller than the regular one. They seem to be doing more with the regional forms like adding exclusive evolutions to the lines, like with Obstagoon and Sirfetch'd, so I wouldn't exclude it. I'm really liking this design so I can't wait to see them talk about it officially (and forget to talk about Impidimp again)

Either that's a Galatian Ponyta or a new Pokemon but that's taken inspiration from Unicorns.

2 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

Either that's a Galatian Ponyta or a new Pokemon but that's taken inspiration from Unicorns.

It has a cry very similar to Ponyta, or possibly identical to how it sounds in Pokémon Amie/Refresh. So it's pretty much guaranteed to be a Galarian Ponyta. That's awesome, but I'm hoping that there the Galarian forms don't end up mostly being Kanto mon... And personally speaking, I hope we get more fairy types that aren't just rainbows and fluffy cuteness. Almost all of the Fairy types introduced in Gen 6 onwards are pretty lame imo, but the older Pokémon that had their types changed (Clefairy, Mawile, Snubull, Whimsicott, Ralts) look much better somehow. They're more creative and not so blatantly fairies, but still got the type. Galarian Ponyta definitely looks like a fairy type.

I love Impidimp so much

EDIT:

6 hours ago, Zaysho said:

(and forget to talk about Impidimp again)

NOOOO!

EDIT AGAIN:

QB0vuLj.jpg

The stream ended abruptly and a Rapidash cry could be heard.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's all? Don't get me wrong, this kind of event was a really cute idea. But it was essentially a 24-hour tease of a single regional form. Seems like they could have done more with it, like tease a legendary/mythical Pokémon without revealing it fully, or shown off more than one new Pokémon/form. Compare this to 30 second trailer to introduce Sirfetch'd, or the few minutes in which we got confirmation of Galarian forms including Weezing, the Zigzagoon family with the first new evolution in years plus all the character details. This was underwhelming.

Galarian Ponyta looks alright, I guess. Not my favourite, but I don't dislike it. I hope the regional forms that they've yet to unveil continue to be interesting twists. Galarian Weezing is funny, but as with Exeggutor and Dugtrio... The joke is over pretty quickly. Alola had too many dark types (and dumped them all on the player at the start of the games), and too few overall. It's such a fun concept, they could really do a lot with it. Marowak, Geodude's line and Sandshrew's line are the best so far. But with only 10 regional families in Alola and Galar introducing Gigantamax forms too... I don't expect to be seeing many more now that I think about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

My Little Ponyta.  Well, it's not a bad idea!  Finally, a Ponyta/Rapidash that can be ridden without getting severe burn wounds.  One thing that's been pointed out is that one of the pair of Ponyta at the end appeared to be missing a tail; a gender difference, perhaps?  I've also seen it speculated that Galarian Rapidash could be a pegasus, which would be interesting; on its own merits, and because we've only got Togetic and Togekiss for that typing at the moment.

I agree that it was a bit drawn-out, though; for twenty-four hours I think they need a little bit more event, and a bit less blink-and-you'll-miss-it.  But I think the idea has potential and I hope they'll revise it to be something more worth tuning into.

On 10/4/2019 at 12:00 AM, Splash the Otter said:

It's a shame. 18 gyms means they would have had to include a Dark gym. Now they'll probably skip over it YET AGAIN.

I actually do believe, for an admittedly pretty tenuous reason, that there will be a Dark gym this time around.  Unfortunately, I also believe it'll be one of the version-exclusive gyms...

Gameinformer is now posting Galar Starter interviews, starting with Grookey.

In this exclusive Game Informer interview, the director of Pokémon Sword and Shield Shigeru Ohmori, producer Junichi Masuda, and art director James Turner talk about the creation of Grookey and give hints about where its evolution could go. Learn more at gameinformer.com/pokemon.

EDIT: Here's Scorbunny's

In this exclusive Game Informer interview, the director of Pokémon Sword and Shield Shigeru Ohmori, producer Junichi Masuda, and art director James Turner talk about the creation of Scorbunny and give hints about where its evolution could go. Learn more at gameinformer.com/pokemon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Galarian Ponyta revealed as a Shield exclusive Psychic-type

pokemon_ponyta_2x.png

A change brought about by the life energy of the forests

Galarian Ponyta have been found in a certain forest of the Galar region since ancient times. It is said that they were exposed to the overflowing life energy of the forest over many generations, and this is why their appearance became unique in this region.

Behold its glistening mane

Galarian Ponyta can absorb the life energy of the surrounding atmosphere and store it in its mane. It seems that Ponyta’s mane will become more colorful, and even emit a sparkling glow, if there is a lot of energy around.

10_7_ponyta_2.jpg

10_7_ponyta_1.jpg

Famitsu scan:

HsJWKkhC.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Have a 30 second trailer for Galarian Ponyta, showing everything and little bit more than a full 24 hour stream did...

According to scans in Serebii, it's psychic type and can have the abilities run away or pastel veil (cures poisoned allies). I'm really surprised that it's not fairy type. It appears to be the Shield exclusive counterpart to Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Have a 30 second trailer for Galarian Ponyta, showing everything and little bit more than a full 24 hour stream did...

According to scans in Serebii, it's psychic type and can have the abilities run away or pastel veil (cures poisoned allies). I'm really surprised that it's not fairy type. It appears to be the Shield exclusive counterpart to Farfetch'd and Sirfetch'd.

Should've been Fairy/Psychic type tbh. It looks pretty cool tho.

Kinda wish they would show Galarian Rapidash tho...

27 minutes ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

Should've been Fairy/Psychic type tbh. It looks pretty cool tho.

Kinda wish they would show Galarian Rapidash tho...

I was thinking it should’ve been Fire/Fairy, honestly. With a mane like that, I’m surprised they only typed it as Psychic.

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

This typing might have been chosen due to the unicorn's (and thus this Pokémon's) ability to remotely neutralise poison, which Psychic is strong against and Fairy is weak to. Galarian Weezing might be part Fairy, but it's also Poison to begin with.

23 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

Well hey, maybe Galarian Rapidash will be Fairy-type.

I'm expecting Psychic/Flying at this point.

450?cb=20160606045755

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Pawn said:

This typing might have been chosen due to the unicorn's (and thus this Pokémon's) ability to remotely neutralise poison, which Psychic is strong against and Fairy is weak to.

That is extremely convincing speculation and I think probably correct.  With that said, I was also wondering if GameFreak might have more specific rules for what constitutes a Fairy-type than we might otherwise imagine; for instance, if you look through all the Fairy-types, the vast majority are bipedal or otherwise have an upright posture.