Awoo.

Sonic Mania: Sonic 3 Zone Speculation

Sonictrainer

s3-bginfo-detailsimg7.png

We are now officially 2 months away from the release of Sonic Mania. Since then we’ve seen previews of a much better version of Splash Hill Zone on South Island, made Flubber using a chemistry set on Westside Island, and time traveled to an altered Past on Little Planet. However, there is still one more Zone and one more iconic location from the classic games we haven’t really seen yet. Where in Knuckles’ home, the Floating Island (aka Angel Island), will we revisit in Mania? Sure we got to take out the trash in the Flying Battery Zone from Sonic & Knuckles. However, there’s no guarantee it’s still flying over or near the island. So in this topic I wanted to discuss which of 8 Zones, from the first half of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles, will be in the game.

tumblr_inline_opd46g6TV71r55yeg_540.gif

"Wait, aren't there 6 Zones in Sonic 3, if we’re not counting the other levels in Sonic & Knuckles?"

Yes and No.

There are 6 Single Player Zones in Sonic 3. However, I don't remember anyone saying that Zones exclusive to Competition Mode wouldn't get remixed (If someone did, my bad). If Sonic Mania can have 2 cancelled Zones fused together to create a brand new one and revisit a Past Version of a Zone in Sonic CD, nothing is impossible. 

So let’s review the original versions of the Sonic 3 Zones, what could happen in potential remixes, show support for our favorites, give positive feedback about our least favorites, and debate which of these Zones could be the lucky winner.

NOTES: 
1. All entries in the opening post are the Official Zones from Sonic the Hedgehog 3. This includes: 

• All 6 of the Single Player Zones
  • Chrome Gadget Zone and Endless Mine Zone from Competition Mode

2. Azure Lake Zone was not included in the list because it’s a Purple Hill following the Green Hill Zone theme and it’s been confirmed that the Green Hill Zone will be the only Zone of that trope in Sonic Mania.

3. Balloon Park Zone was also not included since it appears to be a section of the Carnival Night Zone. Plus, they’re both Circus variants of the Amusement Park Zone theme.

4. Finally, Desert Palace Zone was also not included because Mirage Saloon Zone already exists as the Desert Zone in Sonic Mania and represents it by having areas made of sand that collapses after Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles run over it.

Angel Island Zone
s3-aiz-appearanceimg1.png 
The first Zone Sonic and Tails start out in. This version of Angel Island Zone is a massive jungle with sandy beaches, different varieties of plants, and many secret caves. But then the Fire Nation came and everything changed. What was once a beautiful jungle preserved and untouched on the Floating Island is now target practice for Eggman’s bombers.

Original Features:

• Pulleys that Sonic and Tails could swing on or zipline to reach new areas (we see the Ziplines in Green Hill Zone Act 2)
  • Running around the inside of giant trees
  • Platforming with moving rocks in the waterfalls

Angel Island Zone Badniks & Bosses

• Monkey Dude is a Badnik based on chimpanzees and is an upgraded version of the Classic Badnik, Coconuts.
  • Rhinobot is a Badnik based on rhino and was created based on the failures of Motobug. While Motobug was slow and only moved in one direction, as soon as Rhinobot sees Sonic and Tails, he’ll charge at them and is capable of U-turning.
  • Catakiller Jr. is an upgraded version of an old Badnik called Catakiller, whose design is based on a caterpillar.  
  • Bloominator is a Badnik based on a flower. They shoot spiked balls out of its top but they can’t move from their positions.
  • The Mini Boss in Angel Island Zone Act 1 is one of the Super Badniks we saw halfway through the Act. It uses bombs and its flamethrower against our heroes but is a cakewalk with the Flame Shield.
  • Eggman appears at the end of Angel Island Zone Act 2 with a camouflaging mech that can also shoot fireballs. Fire Shield also makes this easy.

Remix Ideas:

• We could explore the beach part in Act 2 instead of just the jungle and caves
  • They could turn the entire Act 2 into a fire themed Zone
  • The Angel Island Zone could combine elements from all the Zones here or visit 2 Zones in 2 different Acts to present Sonic 3 as a whole

Hydro City Zone
s3-hz-appearanceimg2.png
The 2nd Zone in the game is an underground city of water, made up of mechanisms to transport water throughout the island and trap intruders that happen to fall in.

Original Features:

• The infamous strong underwater current sections
  • Fans
  • Conveyor belts
  • Escape from the Crushing Wall sequence
  • Spiral slides and tubes

Hydro City Zone Badniks & Bosses

• Pointdexter is a Badnik based on a puffer fish. They periodically release and retract their spikes.
  • Turbo Spiker is a snail Badnik that’s an upgraded version of Spiker from Hill Top Zone. If Sonic and Tails get close, they fire off the drill on their backs and dash back and forth across the ground.
  • Blastoid is a Badnik based on a turret that fires projectiles diagonally. It doesn’t move though and the Bubble Shield will deflect the projectiles.
  • Bugernaut is an upgraded version of the fly Badnik, Whisp. They travel in swarms although Sonic and Tails can’t destroy the smaller ones.
  • Mega Chopper is an upgraded version of the piranha Badnik, Chopper. However, Mega Chopper is smaller and acts like an underwater parasite. If Sonic and Tails get bitten, they won’t be able to Spin Jump and roll into balls. To make matters worse, the Ring Counter will start to decrease and kill them if it reaches 0.
  • Jawz is a Badnik based on a shark and is not to be confused with Jaws, the piranha Badnik from the Labyrinth Zone. However, Jawz can swim underwater and fly outside of it in groups. They also explode.
  • The Mini Boss in Hydro City Zone Act 1 is a Super Badnik that fights Sonic and Tails in curved pool of water. It’s will try to dive in and dash into them and then use a small turbine to spin them around like a washing machine.
  • Eggman appears at the end of Hydro City Zone Act 2 to fight Sonic and Tails with water tornadoes and grenades.

Remix Ideas:

…I honestly couldn’t think of anything

Marble Garden Zone
s3-mgz-appearanceimg3.png
The 3rd Zone in the game is a mountainous of ruins filled with plants and spiked, crushing pillars.

Original Features:

• Spin Switches (As seen in the picture)
  • Spinning Tops
  • Tar pits
  • Platforming with moving rocks in the waterfalls
  • Earthquakes
  • The vertical running poles (as seen in the new Stardust Speedway Zone)
  • The rising and lowering spiky platform

Marble Garden Zone Badniks & Bosses

• Bubbles is a Badnik similar to Pointdexter except it’s not underwater.
  • Mantis is a Badnik based on a praying mantis. Unlike its cousin, Slicer from the Metropolis Zone, Mantis just stands in one spot and jumps. However, some them are hidden underground.
  • Spiker is a Mimic Badnik that tries to looks a set of spikes. While their spikes can actually be used as Springs, they shoot projectiles from both sides of their bodies.
  • The Mini Boss in Act 1 is a Super Badnik armed with drills. It’s similar to the Mystic Cave Zone Boss but will drill back down to try and get Sonic and Tails.
  • Eggman appears at the end of Marble Garden Zone Act 2 with a drill of his own and will try to pierce Sonic and Tails in the sky.

Remix Ideas: 

Also couldn’t think of anything…

Carnival Night Zone
s3-cnz-appearanceimg1.png
The 4th Zone in the game is a massive Carnival Eggman must have built to make more Rings. At least that’s one theory for why it exists on the Island.

Original Features:

• Balloons appear for the first time
  • The Vertical Anti-Gravity pillars
  • The Anti-gravity wheels from Scrap Brain Zone
  • The Anti-gravity fans
  • The weird lava platforms
  • The 2-Way curved tubes (we see in them in Chemical Plant Zone Act 2)
  • The power outage in Act 2
  • Cannons

Carnival Night Zone Badniks & Bosses

• Clamer is a Badnik based on a Clam. When it’s closed, it can be used like a spring. When it’s open it can be destroyed but it also sits out its gun and fires a projectile.
  • Batbot is an upgraded version of the Bat Badnik, Batbrain. 
  • Sparker (aka the Carnival Night Zone Variant of Blastoid because for some reason they have the same name in English) is a Badnik based on a grenade. It travels between the ground and ceiling by turning into electricity.
  • The Mini Boss in Carnival Night Zone Act 1 is a Super Badnik armed with electricity and a spinning drill. Sonic and Tails have to trick it into getting hit by the drill to damage it before it destroys all of their leverage.
  • Eggman appears at the end of Carnival Night Zone Act 2 with magnets to lift and drop a heavy green ball on Sonic and Tails

Remix Ideas:

• The Barrel of Doom is the Boss of Act 1
  • Act 2 could be the “Balloon Park Zone” of the level, having an Animal/Zoo theme
  • Thunder Shield could recharge stuff

Ice Cap Zone
s3-icz-appearanceimg3.png
The 5th Zone in the game is the series’ first console snow Zone (Fast Fact: the first ever Ice Zone in a Sonic Game is Icy Isle from Sonic Arcade).

Original Features in the Ice Cap Zone:

• Snowboarding (sure it was automated but still)
  • Freezethrowers
  • Icicle platforms
  • The infamous looping slides
  • Frozen objects (item boxes and springs)
  • Momentum Swinging Platforms
  • Bungee Platforms

Ice Cap Zone Badniks & Bosses

• Star Pointers are ice versions of the Unidus Orbinauts. They use their icy spiked balls as projectiles leaving them wide open for a Spin Attack. Also, the Elemental Shields melt their ammo.
  • Penguinator is a Badnik based on a penguin. They attack by sliding on their bellies and can be found in groups.
  • The Mini Boss in Ice Cap Zone Act 1 is a Super Badnik that swings snowballs around itself as a shield.
  • At the end of Ice Cap Zone Act 2, Eggman appears with a freezethrower that blows cold air in 3 directions.

Remix Ideas:

• Have a snowboard area similar to Blizzard Peaks Zone
  • Flame Shield can melt icy stuff

Launch Base Zone
s3-lbz-appearanceimg1.png
The final Zone in the game was the first crash site of the Death Egg, surrounded by harbors and construction sites.

Original Features in the Launch Base Zone:

• Being able to ride a Egg-O-Mobile (sure it was automated but still)
  • Spinning Elevators
  • Flamethrowers

Launch Base Zone Badniks & Bosses

• Fybot 767 is a Badnik based on a bird. They appear when Sonic and Tails run past a sensor.
  • Ribot is a Badnik based on frog. It swings weights from its arms.
  • Orbinaut is a Classic Badnik based on a sea urchin. Despite its new colors and glare, it only uses its Spiked Balls as a shield.
  • Snail Blaster is a Badnik based on a snail. They move slowly and can only be destroyed when they open their backs to fire their projectiles
  • Corkney is a Badnik based on a laser. They move across rails and shoot lasers at Sonic and Tails.
  • The Mini Boss in Launch Base Act 1 is a Super Badnik Eggman just put together. It swings 2 spiked balls really fast.
  • At the end of Launch Base Zone Act 1, Eggman hops in a cannonball launching mech.
  • The second Boss Mech Eggman uses shoots lasers and has a small spiked ball moving above his cockpit as a shield
  • The Final Boss of the game is Big Arm, who flies around while trying to grab and body slam Sonic and Tails

Remix Ideas:
Now that the Death Egg is gone, it’d be interesting to see what happened to the ports here. I doubt Knuckles opened trade here...

Chrome Gadget Zone

s3-competition-chromegadgetmap.png

The Chrome Gadget Zone is a mechanical base, possibly created by Eggman.

Remix Ideas:

• Maybe a Badnik Factory...

Endless Mine Zone

s3-competition-endlessminemap.png

A Mine located on the Floating Island (looks similar to Mystic Cave Zone).

Remix Ideas:

• Add the Badniks from the Mystic Cave Zone
  • Minecarts
  • Have a gimmick similar to the Pogo Spring from Sonic Chaos

Discussion Questions
1.    Out of these 8 Zones in Sonic 3, which one is your number 1 BEST pick for getting remixed in Sonic Mania?
2.    Out of these 8 Zones in Sonic 3, which one is your number 1 WORST/LEAST BEST pick for getting remixed in Sonic Mania?
3.    Are there any elements/Badniks/Bosses in Zones from Sonic 3 you'd like to see used in a brand new Zone?
K.    Do you think the cathedral Zone we’ve seen is actually the Sonic 3 Zone reimagined in Act 2?

• Thumbs Up 9

Do we now we're getting Sonic 3, or is it like Generations where both versions use the S&K half for some dumb reason because Sonic 3 gets the shaft due to music licensing issues or some weird shit. I'm still mad.

First off, I doubt we'll get Carnival Night Zone since that theme is already used. As for my favorite picks I really REALLY want Hydrocity so bad, in fact it's my favorite out of all the classic zones. I also wouldn't mind Marble Garden Zone if only for the theme. My least wanted level is Lunch Base Zone due to how much I suffered playing through it when I was little, I don't mind it nowadays but still prefer the other zones. Also I know almost everyone wants Icecap Zone but I wish we get Hydrocity, please Mania team!!

• Thumbs Up 1

As I mentioned in another topic, Launch Base Zone would be my dream choice and it's honestly one of my favorite final levels in a Sonic game; I love it way more than even Death Egg, and it's so different from the norm like how Pirates' Island from SRA was. I'd also love Hydrocity and I would settle for Marble Garden, but I'd be pretty disappointed if we got Angel Island, even if they did use the on-fire version of it.

Spoiler

I don't care about Icecap at all

• Thumbs Up 5

Sonic 3 material has been confirmed.

I think this has been reiterated at some point, but as you can imagine these aren't necessarily easy quotes to dig back up.  It's more important that they haven't denied a Sonic 3 level, really.

1.    Out of these 8 Zones in Sonic 3, which one is your number 1 BEST pick for getting remixed in Sonic Mania?

I'm torn between IceCap and Hydrocity.  Considering the greatest-hits nature of Mania that's seen obvious picks Chemical Plant and Stardust Speedway show up, IceCap is readily imaginable, and I don't truly believe that the music issue would really be an obstacle when they can just commission new music for a game that's remixing even classic stage music; it wouldn't be out of place.  But HydroCity has a lot of fans and there's not even a gesture towards its particular niche so far in Mania, so I think that's very plausible.

2.    Out of these 8 Zones in Sonic 3, which one is your number 1 WORST/LEAST BEST pick for getting remixed in Sonic Mania?

Angel Island Zone won't happen.  It's not unique enough, even when it's on fire; it's slightly wilder and less tamed than other jungle-grassland first zones, but there's no mistaking that it's the same theme, and the fire only really changes the colour scheme - and after all this time, the zone would have no reason to still be on fire, anyway.  Green Hill Zone Act 2 has borrowed its ziplines, and Mirage Saloon Act 2 appears to have some bison badniks which bear a certain similarity to AIZ's rhino badniks.

With that said, I can't imagine the 2P stages taking a slot in Mania either.  They just don't have enough substance.

3.    Are there any elements/Badniks/Bosses in Zones from Sonic 3 you'd like to see used in a brand new Zone?

I would fully expect a reimagined Labyrinth or Tidal Tempest to use elements from Hydrocity.  Any one of these could be remade as a kind of ultimate water labyrinth mash-up.  Come to think of it, you could add more substantial water elements to IceCap, too, which really only used water to float platforms and drown you in bottomless pits.  Beside that... maybe the steep hills, pulleys, and falling ceilings of Marble Garden Zone could suit some zone or another.

K.    Do you think the cathedral Zone we’ve seen is actually the Sonic 3 Zone reimagined in Act 2?

sonic_mania_new_zone.jpg

I don't see which zone it would be based on, so I'd be very surprised.  There aren't any points of continuity between this stage and any other zone I can think of - not even Stardust Speedway, incidentally, since you can clearly see it's daylight outside those windows.  I personally adhere more to the "botanical garden" interpretation, anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

My dream choices for Sonic Generations would've been Ice Cap for HD and Hydrocity for 3DS, but for Mania I think Hydrocity would be my first choice.  We know there's no music licensing issues and man I just really want that Tee Lopes remix... but beyond that I can just "see it" y'know.  I'm not sure how they'd remix it, judging by Chemical Plant Act 2's wild new ideas it could be anything, but I imagine they'd do some funky stuff with water pressure and/or water re-routing to fit the zone title, and the stage was filled with tons of swimming-pool-inspired antics like giant water slides and stuff, so they could probably push those concepts further maybe - waves that manipulate the objects/platforms on top/within, turbulant hot tub-esque pools etc.

Ice Cap is still a solid choice for zone variety though and I feel the same way about Launch Base as Sean.  I know it was kind of a happy accident that it was ever a "last level" in a Sonic game to begin with but yeah.  Question is why somewhere like that would be "revisited", but still.  Of course, both are stages with known music licensing issues, and I have to admit, I like the PC tracks but I don't personally associate them with the stages that much.

For most disappointing, it'd definitely be Carnival Night since we already have enough variety of nighttime city levels in the game, Marble Garden would be 2nd most disappointing just because, it's an okay stage but was just kinda "there" in the original game for me, a filler one, not memorable.  Angel Island would be 3rd most disappointing just coz of "first stage syndrome" but I could see them doing interesting things with it and unlike Generations, Mania isn't suffering from an overabundance of "green hill" stages so far.  If there isn't going to be an original new "green" level, Angel Island would be perfectly acceptable as a mid-game, harder "green" level.  But I'll be honest I'd be bummed if it was the only Sonic 3 stage and we didn't get Hydrocity, Ice Cap or Launch Base too.

Regardless, the infamous barrel MUST appear somewhere in the game.

I find it hard to care about the competition mode stages, they'd be kind of out the left-field but would feel slightly like a "waste of a slot", much as it pains me to say it.  Like there's not much to remix so the retro appeal is weakened - they might as well have just made another brand new stage... but also even if looked at like that, I'd just be like "well I'd rather have had a brand new aesthetic too".

I would be buzzed though if they brought a couple back as extended "lap style" stages for versus/time attack mode, but I'd feel I'd need a developer to confirm after launch that they were thrown in bonus as a labour of love and didn't take away time developing the main campaign stages.

36 minutes ago, Semi-colon e said:

Do we now we're getting Sonic 3, or is it like Generations where both versions use the S&K half for some dumb reason because Sonic 3 gets the shaft due to music licensing issues or some weird shit. I'm still mad.

We do, Taxman confirmed long ago that Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are being treated as seperate games and thus we WILL get at least one Sonic 3 stage.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh very nice! Hydrocity or Launch Base would be great, I loved both of those levels in Sonic 3. Chemical Plant could make them feel a bit redundant, but Hydrocity in particular could be differentiated a lot more compared to Launch Base.

Marble Garden would be a shock, and it would be intense. Those crushing traps are the bane of my life.

• Thumbs Up 1

My dream choice would be Carnival Night. I know we already have other night-themed zones in Mania and Studiopolis (which has pinball-bumpers like in CN), but I'm not convinced it falls under the "carnival theme". Although, we've only seen a second or two of Studiopolis act2 which may end up fitting the carnival trope.

Image result for sonic mania studiopolis act 2

I love Carnival Night's design, so many routes to traverse and neat gimmicks.

ACTUALLY, I'M CALLING IT NOW; Studiopolis act2 will feature the infamous barrell sequence from CN :P

Since Team Mania has opted for zones; Flying Battery, Chemical Plant, Stardust Speedway & Green Hill which are all fan favorites, I think it's almost guaranteed we'll get either Hydrocity or Ice Cap.

Hydrocity is a really well design level where the underwater sections aren't a chore. I've always been impressed in how act2 whilst much more linear compared to act1 it's still fun to play through (I think the kick-ass music helps).

Ice Cap is my least-favorite stage in terms of level design despite the nice aesthetic & music. For this reason it would be an opportunity to improve the level design over the original and maybe add some different ice gimmicks, more snow-boarding sequences? Surely, they can still include this level even if they have to ask Tee Lopes to compose a completely new piece for both acts (because of the legal stuff) which I'd be okay with.

Since Team Mania have been adding unused-beta designs and ideas, I think this is a great opportunity to make Ice Cap take place immediately after Flying Battery so that Sonic transitions to IC from FB using a door he smashes through (at the end of the zone) as a make-shit snowboard as per the original intended design of Sonic 3 (i.e. that Ice Cap was going to take place between CN and LB). I would be so happy if they do this.

Got nothing against Angel Island, Marble Garden or Launch Base. They're all excellent.

I wonder, could this image be from a re-imagined Marble Garden, Hydrocity or Stardust Speedway? Seems to give-off a cathedral/garden/water/creepy ancient kind of vibe...

sonic_mania_new_zone.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

To answer the "do we know if they're considering Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles as separate games", well, Taxman said we'll be seeing "stuff" from both games. He never said levels. So what if Bonus Stages are all the Sonic 3 representation in Mania?

Anyways, my top pick is Ice Cap, but Hidrocity or Launch Base will be enough. Or they could go crazy and make Launch Base on ice (yes, I love ice / snow levels in videogames). Then again, no returning level (so far) looks to be as radically different as we'd expect / want. I was REALLY hoping they would go NUTS on Act 2 of these old zones. Perhaps on another game, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

A remixed Ice Cap having a snowboarding section in Rush Adventure style would be coolioses and if taking stuff from other games is fine, the spinning down ice stalagmites to stay on the top path would also be pretty radical.

There's also those freezing machines, but besides freezing water or freezing Sonic to send him off slopes out of player control, can't really imagine much of anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, OcelotBot said:

My dream choice would be Carnival Night. I know we already have other night-themed zones in Mania and Studiopolis (which has pinball-bumpers like in CN), but I'm not convinced it falls under the "carnival theme". Although, we've only seen a second or two of Studiopolis act2 which may end up fitting the carnival trope.

I love Carnival Night's design, so many routes to traverse and neat gimmicks.

ACTUALLY, I'M CALLING IT NOW; Studiopolis act2 will feature the infamous barrell sequence from CN :P

Studiopolis' core gimmick is "TV" - it's only just occured to me that the scene depicted in the first trailer isn't any kind of generic theme park/casino gimmick, it's a lottery machine.  The lottery is a TV broadcast, not a game you play at a theme park or casino.  So yeah Carnival Night could still be on the cards, it's just the "night time city" theme that we have three of already, as oppose to an "amusements" theme.  Mirage Saloon seems to be tackling the pinball table gimmick though, so it depends if there is room for a second pinball stage in a game that is supposedly quite big.

• Thumbs Up 6

Even if it doesn't have the best level design, I would still like to see Ice Cap make it in (with a track inspired by the original). The developers have been making so many changes to previous levels that they easily improve upon it. Having said that, I wouldn't be massively disappointed to see Hydrocity or Launch Base in its place. Sonic 3 has plenty of great stages to choose from, but these two and Ice Cap provide trope variety we've not seen so far in Mania. Given the lack of issues with Hydrocity's music, I wouldn't surprised to see it make the cut.

• Thumbs Up 6

Don't forget that they posted sprites of what looked like Sonic snowboarding a few months ago. Looking at the silhouettes of the remaining Hard Boiled Heavies (Samurai and Magician), I don't think any of the remaining new stages are likely to be ice-themed, so the snowboarding would have to take place in a returning stage. Maybe the copyright issues have been resolved by now? While I'm more on #TeamLaunchBase, I love all the zones and would be happy with any choice from the trinity that is Hydrocity, Ice Cap and Launch Base.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 6/16/2017 at 4:20 PM, Psychicmoose103 said:

After analyzing the level select screen a bit more, I have a theory to how level progression will work in mania. I'm sure the order will make sense, and that there will be level transitions of course. I think its going to be 2 classic stages (from a certain game) and than a new stage. Heres an example of what I mean

Green Hill

Other Sonic 1 Zone

New Stage

Chemical Plant

Other Sonic 2 Zone

Studiopolis (I think this would happen after the Sonic 2 stages due to its position on the level select we have)

This also leads me to believe that Mirage Saloon will take place after the 2 Sonic CD stages, and all 3 of these will be late in the game. Since mirage saloon is based off of desert dazzle, it would make sense to have it on little planet, where desert dazzle was originally going to appear.

Sure we got to take out the trash in the Flying Battery Zone from Sonic & Knuckles there’s no guarantee it’s still flying over or near the island.

It is interesting to consider these writings together!  That is, if the zone select is in an accurate order, Flying Battery may appear somewhere before reaching Floating Island. 

Overall it is a wonderful puzzle to try and guess at how everything will fit together!  I like the idea that Studiopolis could represent the West Side Island city seen in the background of Casino Night. :)

Similarly regarding Sonic 3, it feels possible that Azure Lake and Ice Cap could be combined in such a way that Azure Lake itself would be Act 1 and therefore not need to use the original music track, then, Act 2 would be different enough that it also would still be based on Azure Lake's music.  The mountains behind Azure Lake look very snowy to me and could represent Ice Cap being nearby!

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, I would love Ice Cap Zone to be in Mania more than anything else, but, only if they were able to remix the original music from the Genesis/Mega Drive version. It just wouldn't be Ice Cap without that iconic melody. I wouldn't even want Ice Cap in Mania with the PC version music. I have a very "all or nothing" stance about that.

If they are unable to use the Ice Cap music because of legal issues, then I would rather have Hydrocity Zone be in Mania. Hydrocity is a very close second on my list of favorite Sonic 3 zones, and would be an excellent choice.

As far as speculation, I'd say that Hydrocity is the most likely Sonic 3 zone to be in Mania. Angel Island and Marble Garden both have elements from their zones used elsewhere in Mania (zip lines in Green Hill, Catakiller Jr. in Chemical Plant, running down poles Marble Garden style in Stardust Speedway), and the latter three zones have the apparent legal issues with their music. Although, we don't know exactly how easy or difficult it would be to get around those issues, so it's still a possibility that we could see Carnival Night, Ice Cap, or Launch Base. I'm still betting on Hydrocity though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, I'd love to see either Ice Cap or Launch Base be remixed. But my dream remix would be combining the aftermath of Launch Base's Death Egg Launch set a few years after the events of S3&K where Ice Cap has mostly engulfed Launch Base with bits and pieces of the Death egg spreading around creating this hybrid zone., But that wouldn't happen. It's still cool to imagine what if. 

But realistically speaking i can see Hydrocity Zone being remixed. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I really want it to be Hydrocity. It's my favourite zone in the entire series and just the thought of what it might look and sound like in Mania has me hyped.

I'd definitely be disappointed if Angel Island or Carnival Night made a return. Angel Island because it's just sort of meh to me and I don't really want to see any other first zones outside of Green Hill. As much as I like Carnival Night I feel like Studiopolis covers similar enough tropes and gimmicks that'd feel sort of samey.

Honestly I can see Ice Cap making it in, it's probably the most popular Sonic 3 stage and I can't see the Mania team passing up the chance to have Flying Battery transition into Ice Cap. I'd be alright with this choice as long as it came with the original music. 

• Thumbs Up 2

my call is that it will be either Hydrociry or Ice Cap. I would really love to see Hydrocity make it over ice cap though, it's such a fun zone. And I honestly like the Hydrocity theme more than Ice Cap..

• Thumbs Up 2

I would be shocked if the Sonic 3 stage isn't Hydrocity or Ice Cap. Then again I was also certain we were getting Mystic Caves or Oil Ocean from Sonic 2 so....

i hope it's Hydrocity even though I like Ice Cap too but seeing as how there will most likely be at least one water level, it may as well be the best one from the classics 

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

I would be shocked if the Sonic 3 stage isn't Hydrocity or Ice Cap. Then again I was also certain we were getting Mystic Caves or Oil Ocean from Sonic 2 so....

i hope it's Hydrocity even though I like Ice Cap too but seeing as how there will most likely be at least one water level, it may as well be the best one from the classics 

What else could it be?

Angel Island badnik is in chemical plant, so thats probably out

Marble garden running pillar is in Stardust Speedway

Carnival Night is out because they are already 3 nighttime city levels, and studiopolis is sort of a tv/city/bouncy level

That only leaves Hydrocity, Launch Base, and Ice Cap. If there are going to be 2 stages per game, it would probably be Ice Cap and Hydrocity, since they are very popular. I could be wrong though.

I personally would like to see Ice Cap Zone because of the music and the snow surfing at the beginning. Also Hydrocity Zone or Angel Island Zone just for the nostalgia.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Psychicmoose103 said:

What else could it be?

Angel Island badnik is in chemical plant, so thats probably out

Marble garden running pillar is in Stardust Speedway

Carnival Night is out because they are already 3 nighttime city levels, and studiopolis is sort of a tv/city/bouncy level

That only leaves Hydrocity, Launch Base, and Ice Cap. If there are going to be 2 stages per game, it would probably be Ice Cap and Hydrocity, since they are very popular. I could be wrong though.

While I agree that Angel island and Marble Garden aren't likely, I don't like to nessecarily rule out stages because a badnik or a certain gimmick appears. I also thought Chemical Plant couldn't possibly come back because it was in Generations. 

I think Carnival Night is maybe 30% likely. Yes they've used city/night time themed stages but Carnival Night is still unique enough to make something of it. Heck they could have the first act take place during the day and progressively get darker. 

Only way I see Angel island returning is if the game follows some kind of narrative/story that requires it, such as Robotnik returning there to steal the master emerald or something. But I doubt they'll pick a stage based on story 

Then again, that's what makes this so interesting, I can't really predict the next move when it comes to this game. 

I do hope they use 2 stages from each game to really give this more variety because S3&K has some of the best stages in franchise history and it would be a shame to only use 2 total from the 14 zones in that game 

• Thumbs Up 2

It would be a nice fan nod if they had Ice Cap right after Flying Battery, complete with the door being used as the board ala Sonic 3 Complete. While it would be nice to see what has happened to Launch Base after the Death Egg was launched, I feel a zone like that, an Eggman base, would be best left for whatever contraption Eggman is working on now. Leading up to or being the final area. So my vote would go to having Hydrocity and Ice Cap return for Sonic 3's zone representation.

If we arent getting Mystic Cave for Sonic 2 then I would love to see Lava Reef from 3K was it's second zone while we are at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd like to see Marble Garden. Just imagine how brutal they'd make that stage with all the earthquakes and crushing objects. I'd love it.

• Thumbs Up 1