Awoo.

Bojack Horseman - Back in the 90s....(Netflix Original - Upcoming - Season 6 - Released: Tuca & Bertie (Made by same creators)

Ryannumber1gamer

o-BOJACK-facebook.jpg

"Back in the 90s, I was in a very famous TV show..." 

So, if you're an animation fan, you might've heard about Bojack Horseman, a Netflix Original series that is heavily praised for it's realistic portrayal of serious issues such as depression, self-destructive attitude, and a serious look at how damaging Hollywood can be for actors. It is also one of the funniest adult cartoons out, with a unique wit, some great cultural jokes, and a lot of brilliant deconstruction of popular tropes, and a great examination of modern culture. 

The show stars Bojack Horseman, a washed up actor, primarily known for his role as lead of a Full-House parody called Horsin' Around. Because of Bojack's shitty childhood and past, he has developed a self-destructive attitude that tends to hurt the people around him, even when he tries to fix things. Bojack has an idea that real life is like a sitcom. That after 30 minutes, the main character learns a lesson and everything is back to normal and hunky dory. He tends to get up into hijinks surrounding his friends, including Mr. Peanut Butter, an optimistic and friendly actor of a rival show who ends up having some personal issues of his own, Todd, Bojack's best friend, and roommate who Bojack took in, Princess Caroline, Bojack's agent and on-again, off-again girlfriend, and Diane, one of Bojack's best friend who relates to him in a lot of ways.

To be honest, I believe Bojack is one of the best animated series to date. With a masterful balance between laugh out loud comedy, and serious hard hitting drama, and the very realistic portrayal of issues that don't tend to get spotlighted, there's a good reason Bojack is now heading into his forth season and still remains one of the most praised animated series despite it's rocky beginnings. It's hard to really talk about Bojack because a lot of what makes it brilliant is wrapped up in spoiler territory, but regardless, I would definitely give the show a watch if you haven't already. All three seasons are currently on Netflix with a forth incoming. 

For me personally, I'm just hoping Season 4 comes out on time, rather than being a case of F is For Family which ended up taking a year and a half to come out with it's second season. Especially with the cliffhanger that Season 3 ended on. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The episode where

Sarah-Lyn dies

was some of the most heartwrenching television I'd ever seen.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

The episode where

Hide contents

Sarah-Lyn dies

Spoiler

It really was too much, man. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Season 4 is allegedly supposed to air in August so if that's true we can watch it alongside playing Sonic Mania. Wouldn't that be great?

I wish Adult Swim would start producing content like this instead of whoring themselves out to Fox and Seth McFarlane.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

The episode where

Hide contents

Sarah-Lyn dies

I know, right? One of the best episodes of the show in general is Season 3 Episode 4 "Fish Out of Water". It doesn't have a whole lot of dialogue, but gives you a huge emotional punch to the guy! Heck the whole series in general is one emotional punch to the gut!
  • Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

I think Season 3 as a whole could go down as Bojack's biggest gut-punch to date, seeing as the entire season was not only showing what'll happen when Bojack is flung back into his life as a mainstream actor again, but also went about systematically breaking everyone of Bojack's friends and family because of his depression and self-destructive attitude. Even in Season 2's finale, the gut-punch happened in the second to last episode while Season 2 ended on the note of him winning an award, saving Todd from the improv cult, and creating something in Herb's memory.

Season 3 just ends with Bojack's life completely destroyed, one of his closest friends and co-stars is dead because of him, and he was ready to give it all up and kill himself until he saw the other horses living life.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, with Season 4 ending on the first real optimistic note that the show has, does anyone else think the confirmed Season 5 could be the final season of Bojack? As much as I love the show, it feels like with Season 4's lesson with Bojack, and his growth as a character, it'll feel regressive if they keep going with the same flawed attitude he had in Seasons 1-4.

You know how it works, as long as it keeps it's popularity and people keeps demanding for more, they'll keep making seasons...Unless the creators pull a Toriyama and do the opposite of what people wants, which could end either way...

On 10/22/2017 at 8:29 PM, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

So, with Season 4 ending on the first real optimistic note that the show has, does anyone else think the confirmed Season 5 could be the final season of Bojack? As much as I love the show, it feels like with Season 4's lesson with Bojack, and his growth as a character, it'll feel regressive if they keep going with the same flawed attitude he had in Seasons 1-4.

When the series does end, I hope it ends on a high note unless of being dragged out for the sake of it. It's going to be interesting to see where Bojack's character goes from Season 5 given how it ended on the 4th one.

• 10 months later...

I can't watch the trailer on account of still being three episodes away from finishing S4, but I've been shotgunning this series for the last three days and or has fucked me up so hard. I'm honestly amazed a series could gut punch me as hard as this. Time after time seeing BoJack completely destroy everyone around him and himself only to be confronted with the reality that I got it (not that I agree with any of the decisions made, just understood the thought process) was what hurt the most, and the stellar direction for most of the afternoon of each is top-notch. This is everything I wish adult animation was, not Family Guy clone #7 (Netflix actually recommended me Paradise PD because it was grouped the same way, fuck off). I was sad when he saw the life he gave up in S1, only for him to completely destroy any interaction with anyone it involved in S2, and closing it off with a drunken, dugged stupor of confusion and pain in S3. Holy shit, dude. I said before that I'd get PTSD if I ever saw another anthropomorphic deer but it only gets worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Season 5 has come and gone (well, stayed?) and boy was it great:

Spoiler

Humor is great, but not as great as I feel like it should be. Most jokes hit, but not as hard for some reason? Dunno, maybe a step back from last season somehow. Perhaps it was the entire secondary plotline about a sex robot becoming the CEO of an expensive web company getting the show shutdown when we had BoJack boldfacedly lying about something he wanted to come clean with just to prevent that from happening.

Speaking of BoJack, he's a fucking wreck as usual, but as much as I liked the upward take of S4's ending, it's good that his sins are not forgotten and are even being brought to the forefront. His addiction is being addressed, his leading Sarah Lynn to her death and fucking with the Carsons are both mentioned, and I'm glad it's not brushing them away (though his amazingly silly conversation with Kyle was hilarious, and I'm really glad neither Charlotte nor Penny appeared during it). The whole "media should not validate your shitty behavior" message is especially potent in this age of assaulting McDonald's Employees over dipping sauce, and I'm glad BoJack is swimming upstream to keep from enabling himself further by the end. 

I do wonder now that Spanakopita's shown up only to take off again if she's gonna leak the tape when Diane refused to, but maybe not.

Diane...I get her point of view but I'm also amazed at her decisions. She keeps trying to be the person doing the right thing but willing to give up that sense of justice if those involved aren't doing so for the right reasons. She's ready to make a decision to contribute to a better future for everyone one moment and going back on it the next, and this is lampshaded by the show itself. She's vengeful and hypocritical and doing self-destructive things in a much less-severe but unarguably-similar manner to BoJ. She just hasn't set an endgoal for herself so her arc feels a bit like it's meandering. I'm not sure quite where she's going to be taken in the future, but she's probably the most intermittently "normal" person in the cast so I hope it's in a more rational direction. In previous seasons she's bordered on the irrational end of things (not always) but I always feel she's at her best being the sane anchor in a world of assholes.

Buuuuut courtesy of Mr. Peanutbutter and herself, now we get our own mistakes to not talk about for this season. I was really surprised they took this route for PB, I'm so used to him trying to be the ultimate good guy, but shacking up with his third ex wife and turning around and proposing to his current girlfriend...wow. What a move to pull. We had an entire episode about how he needs to grow up, stop rejecting anyone else who grows up when he doesn't and be better, and now he's in his own cycle of terrible decision-making. I said before this season came out that I wanted to see the fuckups come from people other than BoJack and well...they came from people other than BoJack in addition to him.

Excluding Todd, of course. He is truly perfect in every manner. I mean, he made some mistakes, but the guy is always doing his best with as much regard for others as he can muster, he just happens to be kind of terrible at it. His stuff with Yolanda was a good message about not settling for less even if things seem impossible, and while the sexual nature of her entire family was uncomfortable, it also was hilarious both on it's own and how it tied in to him building that silly robot. Like that house gave him as much impression of sexuality as he could take and he channeled it all into that terrifying mess of a machine. Todd still best.

Princess Carolyn had some interesting developments here as well. I expected her relationship with her mother to be much angrier than it was. Not that it was healthy, there was "piece of shit enabler" behavior subtext sprinkled all over, but it's weird to see our first main character's parent in detail that wasn't literally antagonizing their child all the time. The flashbacks in her episode perfectly communicate her desire for parenthood and their clash with the reality of her life made it all too clear that it's not going to work out well in her current state, and all the more crushing in that she adopts that child anyway, alone and without Ralph, who she obviously still has baggage to unpack with and who could really make things easier if their connection hadn't been sort of ruined before. Honestly I could take or leave Ralph, he's not especially interesting, but I want PC to be happy, and she was when she was with him, so it's sad seeing them both this hurt apart.

I do still miss Judah, though.

Flip, much of a sexist, unstable, slightly-insane and apparently plagiarizing asshole as he was, was probably the funniest character of the season. He's just this weird gross dude who doesn't really get any major arc and is a nervous wreck. I honestly have nothing to say about him other than I find him hilarious.

Gina was the big new character of this season, and I gotta say I didn't really connect with her. She's fine, I get her character and her arc, and I think that she was totally right and good in everything she did, but compared to who's gotten the 'fuck' of each previous season and how much impact it had, I don't think it compares. I mean, strangling your costar isn't good and BoJ totally ruined his relationship with her and is a total druggie fuckboi but compared to how much I cared about Beatrice, Sarah, Charlotte, Penny or even Herb, I just didn't get as big an emotional reaction out of BoJack destroying things with her as I did about the other "BoJack fucked things up with them" characters. She came off more like Spanakopita, a character that was incredibly hurt by BoJack and now hates him for it but was able to move forward and ignore enough to move up in the system that by proxy I myself do not feel as hurt. It's weird.

Finally, while it was just for an episode, it was great seeing Hollyhock again and I'm glad BoJack has yet to destroy things (keyword yet) with her. It makes total sense that she'd have PTSD from the amphetamine coffee incident upon seeing BoJ's house again, and while most of the rest of the episode's focus on them was a rudimentary wild goose chase for drugs, it was really sweet both hearing BoJack aware that what's best for her is to be away from him and having her own life, and her saying she loves him as she leaves. She's adorable and as much as I want more of her I also want her to be happy so keep her the fuck away from BoJack.

There were more experimental episodes this season than any other. One episode that's done with entirely altered character names and designs, another crazy drug trip, two anachronistically-told overlapping stories set in different time periods around one location in the same manner as S4E2, and a 25-minute rant from Arnett about all the crazy shit that was BoJack's life. That last one is my personal favorite of the season. There's so much age, pain, rage, fear, sadness and wistfulness behind every word, every piece of BoJack's body language, it's brilliant. I heard a lot of people hypothesizing that they were going to do for Butterscotch this season what they did for Beatrice the last, but I'm glad they didn't. There's nothing to grab hold of there.

All in all a great watch and I really should have paced this over the weekend because I am really fucking tired now.

I’m about 7 episodes in rn. If anybody’s watched it all already, tell me this: can I expect another gigantic stab in the heart near the end?

Honestly? They go for one but it didn't hit me as hard as previous seasons. YMMV, but they definitely tried.

I finished it and now I'm broken and emotionally drained. I actually lost it after finishing episode 2 due to being in similarly relatable situation very recently so it hit completely home for me.  

• 2 weeks later...

just wanna say i binge watched all 4 seasons before season 5 was out and damn. i wasn't expecting to get as into the show as i thought i would. a lot of it is really just a huge punch to the gut. some of the episodes hit so frickin hard and find a lot more characters relatable than i should, in certain aspects. i watched season 5 like.. the day it came out i think? or maybe a day after. i finished it all in like a day, day and a half. i really liked it. it didn't hit as hard as other seasons in my opinion, but it still left me emotionally drained.

so far my favorite character is princess carolyn. she's a badass.

• 7 months later...

The BoJack creators just released a new show:

I’m five episodes in so far. It may not be as deep as BoJack is (yet), but it’s still fun.

23 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

The BoJack creators just released a new show:

I’m five episodes in so far. It may not be as deep as BoJack is (yet), but it’s still fun.

It's like Bojack's first season - the big shit doesn't happen until after Episode 5. Granted, as far in as I am, it doesn't get quite as dark/depressing as Bojack, but it does get far deeper.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well damn, I take back what I said before. Bertie is totally the character I identify with among the two.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

Season 6's trailer is released, assuming it's not a fake-out, it seems like it's gonna be trying to return Bojack back to his Season 4 characterisation, after being arguably at his absolute worst in Season 5. 

Season 6 will release on October 25th.

6 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

The final season?!

Guess so. End of an era, honestly.

• 4 months later...

Now that I’ve watched the finale and slept on it, I can finally give honest opinion:

I think they dropped the ball, big time.

I’m sorry, but I really think it should’ve ended with Bojack dying. And the penultimate episode really made it look as if they were going to go through with it (a friend I discussed it with even said Bojack dying in the pool would’ve bought the series full circle with the opening, and that hadn’t even occurred to me and I was like OOOOH).

The penultimate episode where Bojack has basically “gone into the afterlife” was amazingly done, and the ending where he’s on the phone to Diane sent a chill down my spine.

The final episode then completely ruined it by starting with a fake out where Bojack is dead and then oh not really.

Nope, Bojack lives, and he goes on to serve a prison sentence for breaking and entering, and he gets let out briefly to attend Princess Carolyn’s wedding, with it being said that he’s got a few more months left and he doesn’t know what he’s going to do when he gets out.

We get some closure for PC and Diane (both have settled down with their respective partners), and his final scenes with them, Todd and Mr. P were nice and all. But when it ended with Bojack and Diane looking up at the sky for ages, I was like “oh...that’s it?”

The episode left too many loose ends. What happens when Bojack gets out of prison? Does he really never see Hollyhock again? What happened to Penny and her mum? It’s just so inconclusive.

I’d rather Bojack died at the end of the penultimate episode, with the finale being everyone dealing with the fallout. Or at the very least, I’d end it with the penultimate episode.

• Thumbs Up 1