Awoo.

Sonic and co. compared with their respective animals

Mountaindewandsprite

Image result for sonic shadow and silverImage result for amy rose

Here's Sonic, Silver, Shadow, and Amy Rose. All hedgehogs.

Image result for hedgehog

Here's a real hedgehog.

Image result for knuckles

Knuckles the so called "Echidna".

Image result for echidna

A real echidna.

Image result for espio

Espio the Chameleon

Real Chameleon.

Image result for charmy bee

Charmy Bee. (Looks more like some type of mammal)

Image result for bee

A real bee.

Image result for nack the weasel

Fang the Sniper/Nack the Weasel (even though he hasn't been in a game since Sonic triple trouble, I wanted to include him. He looks more like a wallaby, bilby, thylacine, or some other type of marsupial)

Image result for weasel

Real weasel (notice the short, rounded ears and tail).

Some Sonic characters really look nothing like their respective animals. Knuckles and Nack are the most guilty of this. You can tell what animals Cream, Tails, Blaze, Vector, etc. are.

Does it matter that much? It's a cartoon. Sonic resembles a hedgehog exactly how Mickey resembles a mouse since that's the stylistic basis of the whole series. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Does it matter that much? It's a cartoon. Sonic resembles a hedgehog exactly how Mickey resembles a mouse since that's the stylistic basis of the whole series. 

I think Mickey actually looks more like a mouse than Sonic looks like a hedgehog or Knuckles looks like an echidna.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

I think Mickey actually looks more like a mouse than Sonic looks like a hedgehog or Knuckles looks like an echidna.

Mickey only resembles a mouse in the most minimalist way. He's got round ears and a long tail, that's about all he has in common with a mouse. It's entirely consistent with Sonic who only much resembles a hedgehog with a row of spines, triangular ears, and a short stubby tail. 

• Thumbs Up 5

20 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Nack is said to be a weasel/wolf hybrid in some sources.

Oh! That explains the long ears.

Still though cartoon anatomy and real world anatomy are not equal.

After all rabbits are not six feet tall, have three toes on their back paws, have four digits on their front paws, wear gloves or talk like a new yorker yet Bugs Bunny is often called a rabbit

1 hour ago, MadmanRB said:

Still though cartoon anatomy and real world anatomy are not equal.

After all rabbits are not six feet tall, have three toes on their back paws, have four digits on their front paws, wear gloves or talk like a new yorker yet Bugs Bunny is often called a rabbit

At least you could still tell he was a rabbit through appearance. When StH 1 and S3&K were first introduced, the only way you could tell their species was through their names/titles.

Is it bad that this was the first thing I was thinking of while reading the OP?

072.png

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, MadmanRB said:

have three toes on their back paws

The anthro rabbits don't have any toes on their back paws, which is even further away from real rabbits.

I do like the fact Espio has always adhered more to real chameleon camouflage than hollywood chameleon camouflage. In Chaotix it was a rainbow instead of set colours, but it was his idle anumation suggesting that it reflected his mood of being idle or bored. In the rest of the series, he can go invisible, but that's because he's studied the ninja art of invisibility, it's not an inherent chameleon ability. Theoretically anyone can do it...which raises questions for Amy. 

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Is it bad that this was the first thing I was thinking of while reading the OP?

072.png

lord that art is ugly

13 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

The anthro rabbits don't have any toes on their back paws, which is even further away from real rabbits.

I do hope Sonic forces changes this concept giving them proper anatomy

We aren't gonna see Sonic character's feet actually modeled...so it doesn't matter if they do.