Awoo.

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon - Ultra Hopes Thread

Chris Knopps

So, the Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon titles, more often than not, more negativity happening toward them than positive.

However, that's not to say that Ultra Negativity can't be used to a thread's/topic's advantage, so lets give that a shot.

In these two titles, what are your Ultra Hopes for the game that will help calm your Ultra Negativity and entice you into buying and enjoying the title for yourself?

What features do you want removed? What features do you want added? What features you you want kept and improved upon?

Is there anything in particular from Sun and Moon besides specific game play features you didn't like and Ultra Hope is changed/improved in this new version? Something about the music? The graphics? Locations or anything plot related? Do you want more characters? Fewer characters? More plot, or less plot?

Is there something from past generations you hope returns in the Ultra versions?

Anything you can think of that would draw you into the Ultra versions of Sun and Moon, discuss it here. Let everyone know your Ultra Hopes for a better Ultra Pokemon title!

QBFBAlt.gif

Lets Get ULTRA Yo! - Darkwing Mon

• Thumbs Up 1

Cutscene skip, P L E A S E.

I'll watch them all the first go round but replayability is important in Pokemon, damn it. SM had virtually none since the first island was cutscene central station and made it hard to sit through.

• Thumbs Up 1

One wonders if this timeline/universe is actually not going to contain either Ether or Team Skull.  However, many people from within each would still live among the islands, and could have different personalities. 

The creative freedom of an alternate timeline/universe could turn out to be really impressive!  With OR/AS they had the task of trying to rebuild an entire region and then implement all of the differences from the original story arcs and mechanics along with that. 

Here the base of the game is ready to go, and, Alola is not going to be revisited in remakes for a very long time and I think this may be reflected in trying to present as much potential that this region, its special details, and this generation of the programming code and engines, has to offer! 

I'd like to see some character roles changed. Like Faba being the President of Aether, Lusamine being less crazy, and Nanu still being an interpol agent working with Looker.

My ultimate wishes and hopes would be that Looker finally gets his big break in this game by being more prominent in the main story, instead of being reduced to post game story fodder.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I really like about the extra versions of each generation are the "remix edition" vibes that they add - the way that, quite aside from the new story elements, they shuffle around a lot of the things which weren't obliged to change as well.  Where you can catch certain Pokemon; what Pokemon can be caught, too.  Kahuna teams should be rethought; different Totem Pokemon would go a long way to making the game feel fresh.  Different Trial order or even different island order would be fantastic.  Something like swapping out all the Ride Pokemon for equivalents that do the same job would be a nice touch for me; think Bouffalant instead of Tauros, for instance, or Dragonite instead of Charizard.  As a matter of convenience, making it so that you don't have to wait most of the game to evolve Glaceon and Crabominable, Vikavolt and the other magnetic Pokemon would be much-appreciated, and it's not even hard to see how it might be done.

In terms of more significant additions, more Trials and a little more depth to the Trials.  More Alolan forms, as I've said before, are a must - and I think we'll get them, in the same way ORAS had more Mega Evolutions.  And, especially considering the title, the Ultra Beasts should have a more prominent role in the story rather than almost all of them being shoved off to the postgame.  But that's kind of a function of needing to level up the story anyway; things need to kick into gear at least an island earlier, and we should be able to get more value out of characters like Gladion who were set up in promotion as something fairly different from what they ended up as.  We've played vanilla Sun and Moon, so now go nuts.  That's what I'm looking for.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'd like an easier way to get some of the specialty pokeballs.  Apparently (I just had to look it up, after hopping to a lot of pokecenters with no luck) I can only buy Dusk Balls and Quick Balls AFTER becoming champion AND getting the Festival Plaza up to level 30.  Otherwise, I'm restricted to only the few that I can find lying around.  Net Balls are only sold one place on the islands, but at least I can get them if I remember where to go.  I really liked the Pokeball Boutique in XY - I only had to remember one spot to go to get any specialty pokeball that was available. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Pardon the double post, but I've finished Moon, now.  Since I started with Pokemon Diamond, I've been irritated to some degree by the concept of big, super-powerful 'god' Pokemon that the hero/heroine kid is just casually able to pop into a pokeball for keeps.  Now I find that (not surprised, mind just irked) my character, who isn't even a native of Alola is supposed to go around and catch all the guardian spirits that have protected the islands for generations . . . and everyone is okay - even elated - with this?  So, proposal that won't happen:  In Ultra Sun/Moon the Ultra Beasts, having been stirred up by Aether Foundation and Lusamine, burst through a rift just as the potential champion has beaten the Elite Four.  Instead of fighting Kukui, one must travel again the UB-world and fight off the UBs (or perhaps UB/Tapu fusions) to catch the Tapus and bring them home to Alola, where they are released to continue guarding their Islands.  Big hero crowned champion with Tapu rescue substituted for post-Elite Four fight, Tapus were caught and entered in Pokedex, Alolans get to continue honoring and being protected by their ancestral guardians.  Players just don't have Tapus to trade around.

This is kind of a problem with every single Pokemon game from maybe Gen III onwards, really.  It's pretty absurd that we have all these gods of immense cultural and indeed scientific significance to their home region, and the protagonist is just allowed to capture them in a ball and dump them in the PC forever.  It was comparatively fine back in the first two generations, when legendaries were simply rare rather than integral to the world's wellbeing...  Although it's not really an Ultra Sun/Moon wish, perhaps in future generations they should go back to merely rare rather than worshipped Pokemon, or maybe emphasise remarkable individuals of a particular Pokemon species in the same way that we can project Diancie as a particularly incredible Carbink.  I do think Poké Pelago is approaching a more charitable interpretation of the "what happens to your boxed Pokemon" problem, though.  So, to bring this around to the main topic: For US/UM, they could beef up Poké Pelago in some way?

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

* The ability to go back to Kalos

* An option to both Mega Evolve AND use Z-Moves, or have one Pokémon mega evolve and another use a Z-Move.

* More legendary-exclusive Z-Moves. Maybe Zygarde has one exclusive move for each form?

* New Mega Evolutions. Greninja, Zygarde, Tsareena, Mega Mewtwo Z, Marshadow, Goodra, Hydregion, Silvally, Nihelego, Mega Charizard Z, and Necrozma.

* More Primal forms. Zygarde, Solgaleo, Lunala, and the Ultra Beasts would be good candidates.  Maybe Necrozma?

* Primal Mega Zygarde. Pretty hard to trigger but so incredibly worth it.

* An even darker storyline.

* Call-backs to the Orre games.

* Continuing dropped plot threads from Unova.

* Battle Frontier, a real one. 

* More ability to catch non-regional Pokémon. In Gen 6, this didn't hurt so bad as it had a huge regional Pokedex.

36 minutes ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

* An option to both Mega Evolve AND use Z-Moves, or have one Pokémon mega evolve and another use a Z-Move.

But... you can already do the latter in Sun/Moon.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think it's highly unlikely we'll ever get another double-region game unless the game is designed for it from the start and each region is... kind of small.  But it would be fantastic if we could get another island or even several in US/UM; one thinks back to the days of the Sevii Islands, for instance.

I'm amazed by how little excitement and hype there is for Ultra Sun and Moon. I didn't even see the trailer trending on YouTube. Compare the trailer views to Sun and Moon's, and it's incredibly obvious just how overwhelmingly negative the reaction for this game has been. Nintendo and TPC have been completely silent on it since it's announcent, and the game comes out in less than four months. That Pokemon Switch announcement was very obviously only done just to calm the angry fans over US/UM. I wonder if they're rethinking their strategy on how to market the game. I'm willing to bet they certainly didn't see the negative reaction coming. 

• Thumbs Up 2

In complete fairness, if they are giving us the silent treatment on US/UM then that's hardly likely to increase hype.  If they want to reclaim some positivity for the marketing of this game, they need to actually start showing us something - and emphasising the differentness of the game from its predecessors, doing something to showcase new content, would I think be their best bet (well, that's fairly obvious).  It does make me wonder if they might in the future reconsider their approach to extra versions based on this reaction - but it's really far too early to say.  The circumstances of the negativity, that being poorly-informed rumours hyping up something we were never going to get, are unique to the occasion.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually being able to explore Ultra Space instead of travel a linear path to the final (story) boss.

• Thumbs Up 1

i'm actually quite excited for this game. i loved pokemon sun/moon. i just want to see lillie return from kanto or see us be able to go to kanto and see her there i'm also curious as to what role team skull will play in this and if the aether foundation will come back.

At the end finding out we get a console remake of a good Pokemon game. Diamond and pearl.  yeeeeeeeeeeee boy