Awoo.

SEGA Forever Revealed!

molul

http://forever.sega.com/

You're kidding me... None of the available games (well, except for Sonic 1 remastered) are compatible with any of my Android devices. Not even with Nvidia Shield! :o

EDIT: Oh, ok, if I open Google Play in my tablet, I see a "This application is not available in your region". That must be the problem. I guess it will be fixed shortly.

I don't have much to say outside of "This is a really good idea".

I can't be bothered to care much though, specifically cause I don't do mobile gaming and I could pirate/emulate most of these games anyways...

I WAS exited for leaderboards until I remembered that those already exist elsewhere on the internet.

Still...cool idea I guess!

And here I thought the eyeball was the most 90's thing Sega had done up till now.

Fortunately it's not a subscription streaming service. It's actual ports to mobile. Good!

Games are free with ads, but you can pay 1.99 to disable ads. Fine as well.

Now, every people I've told about this and me, has no device compatible with any game :-S 

I'm not interested until they release Sonic 3.

It's the only classic Sonic game that hasn't had a mobile release yet and portable emulators just aren't doing it for me.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Rusty Spy said:

I'm not interested until they release Sonic 3.

It's the only classic Sonic game that hasn't had a mobile release yet and portable emulators just aren't doing it for me.

Personally, with Sonic Mania and these Sega Classics mobile ports, I'm seeing Sonic 3 remastered closer and closer.

Sonic 3 will never be done unless its the horrible pc version.

Regardless another rererererelease of sonic

But honestly while near I think my emulator on my 60 inch is the better choice

F*** you SEGA.

All games are show as free but no mobile device is compatible (Unavailable in region). Except Sonic 1 that keeps paid

But, I think that this would be more appreciated at Steam.

And frankly, I think it's time for SEGA to put these games as Freeware (Steam / Android / iOS and any other console that has these games). No one looks really interested to pay to play these games.

2 minutes ago, Solister said:

F*** you SEGA.

All games are show as free but no mobile device is compatible (Unavailable in region). Except Sonic 1 that keeps paid

And frankly, I think it's time for SEGA to put these games as Freeware (Steam / Android / iOS and any other console that has these games). No one looks really interested to pay to play these games.

The compatibility error message is wrong. The problem is it's not available in all regions yet. 

Sonic 1 will be updated to be played for free with ads. You can pay 2€ to remove ads.

I don't think this is possible on Steam. 

• Thumbs Up 3

16 minutes ago, Solister said:

F*** you SEGA.

A portuguese-br trailer was made yet the games aren't avaliable in Brazil. Let's wait a few hours.

• Thumbs Up 1

They fucking said you could play games from Master System to Dreamcast. Cue buggy AF mobile port of Sonic Adventure.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gamesindustrybiz interview

"About 90% of the games so far are in Unity," Evans explains. "The reason we chose Unity as middleware is it enables us to take this content to other platforms as well.

"So my first focus is mobile. It's a huge project and what I really want to do is get mobile right. After this, there are options: we can look at desktop, Facebook, we could even take these games to consoles like Switch.

He continues to speculate that further down the line a subscription-based version of the Sega Forever range could be released through set-top boxes like Apple TV. If this proved to be successful, Sega could even look at releasing titles that were never launched in the West before - something that will primarily appeal to the die-hard fans. If such titles proved to be of interest, Evans even surmises that the community could be brought in for translation projects.

SEGA Forever app should be relased in Europe/NA on 22nd (tomorrow).

This actually looks pretty good.

I demand a port of the Saturn version of 3d Blast :P

• Thumbs Up 1

The games are out now! 

I tried Sonic 1 and the ads are everywhere. (Uber leave me alone) But still is CW Sonic 1.

But then I tried Phantasy Star 2 and the framerate is awful.

How the hell are we going to play Dreamcast games if the Genesis game is struggling.

@molul and @Joseph Mello

Update:

So, I checked again the page and the games are now available, in fact the games not work on my cellphone/tablet (incompatible), but fortunately Blue Stacks exists, just installed. Except Sonic 1 page that still now work (Unavailable in your country (Brazil))..

Now I'm excited with this.

The new version of Sonic 1 on SEGA forever on Google play fixes the sound-test issue. About fucking time!

Edit:

I just recorded footage showing that the sound-test works and the Super Sonic & Debug-mode cheats works (played through GH). The ads suck. Atleast you can pay to get rid of them:

So, I give this project a rank of ....

interesting

latest?cb=20170210010515

The main problem right now is that it's moblie, mobile games can be good but they have one disadvantage against consoles and PC, no buttons, and these games were clearly made to be played with buttons, it was hard to to even enter my name in PS2, once  it comes to consoles or PC, I'll give it another try

A pal of mine tried Altered Beast. Said the frame rate was spotty and controls were lagging. Tried Comix Zone; the unique title screen screen effect was horribly done. It still plays, but yeah there's dodgy controls and frame rate stutters in this one. The music is solid though. Sonic 1 plays pretty much the same, this time with the aformentioned ads.  Sucks for those who already own it and have to basically buy it again to remove the ads though. Haven't tried Kid Charmeleon and Phantasy Star 2 yet.

In all, the emulation work isn't all that up to snuff, but I'll give then a few days or so to iron out starting kinks.

3 hours ago, Sgt Jack V said:

They fucking said you could play games from Master System to Dreamcast. Cue buggy AF mobile port of Sonic Adventure.

They're releasing new games every month. Let's take it easy :)

43 minutes ago, TCB said:

A pal of mine tried Altered Beast. Said the frame rate was spotty and controls were lagging. Tried Comix Zone; the unique title screen screen effect was horribly done. It still plays, but yeah there's dodgy controls and frame rate stutters in this one. The music is solid though. Sonic 1 plays pretty much the same, this time with the aformentioned ads.  Sucks for those who already own it and have to basically buy it again to remove the ads though. Haven't tried Kid Charmeleon and Phantasy Star 2 yet.

In all, the emulation work isn't all that up to snuff, but I'll give then a few days or so to iron out starting kinks.

Really? Glad I cancelled the update, pretty shitty on Sega's part. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 1 is the Taxman version, so obviously that's up to scratch. The rest of the Megadrive stuff looks like the standard of emulation on PCs about 15 years ago.

Looked at Kid Chameleon on Android the most. It uses Nu Romantic Productions' music lib which early MD emus had a rough time with, and sure enough it sounds like ass on the Sega Forever version. It doesn't run with any choppiness, but at the same time seems to be framelocked (I'm guessing to 30, KC was a 60fps game). The input's quite heavy handed compared to other mobile emulators like RetroArch - KC's quite a tight game in terms of controls so this makes it more difficult to play than usual.

In short, using lowest-common-denominator emu RetroArch on Android looks better, sounds better, has tighter input, and doesn't give you advertising every time you start the game. From what I've seen I'm thinking the pre-Saturn stuff will all be emulation (except for Sonic of course), and the (few) later games will be rereleases of games that have already been ported to mobile (Chu Chu Rocket, Crazy Taxi etc - note that CT is the most prominent later game in the trailer!).

(Plus they all want to access your files and know your location. If you're on Android 6 or over (i.e. you're given permission prompts the first time the app tries to use a restricted permission), be aware that neither permission is needed to run the game and they can be denied.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a noble effort to be sure, but man SEGA really needs to step up on the quality of their emulation. I mean, there's people all over the internet that do it for free, surely they could hire some of those people.

They mention Saturn and Dreamcast but will we really be seeing that many ports from those systems? I have a feeling they'll just re-release JSR on mobile again and maybe port NiGHTS just to justify mentioning those systems.

I'd like to be proven wrong though. The world could always use more bad Sonic Adventure ports.