Awoo.

SEGA Forever Revealed!

molul

Unsurprisingly Sonic 2 (remastered) has joined the SEGA Forever line-up

Released rather fittingly on #Sonic2sday

Can't wait for Sonic 3 Remastered to join the line-up

The community manager for SEGA Forever is now a member on Retro.

• Fist Bump 1

14 hours ago, TheOcelot said:

Unsurprisingly Sonic 2 (remastered) has joined the SEGA Forever line-up

Released rather fittingly on #Sonic2sday

Can't wait for Sonic 3 Remastered to join the line-up

The community manager for SEGA Forever is now a member on Retro.

The Sonic 2 announcement tweet would be the best moment for all fans to ask for Sonic 3 Remastered one more time. I'm sure I will :P

It would be so cool if Sega Forever released retro plug n play consoles a la Nintendo Classic Mini line. The brand name "Sega Forever" sounds really fitting for this. Imagine a Sega Master System Forever, or Genesis/Mega Drive Forever, or Saturn Forever. Heck, it would be so cool, unlike the AtGames garbage devices.

Also, to make it even better than Nintendo, I would release those consoles with 20-30 games, and then I would let users buying more games through some online platform (this would mean more work for Sega, I know), and download them to the console (not from the console itself, but to your laptop and then to the console through USB).

I love playing Mega Drive games on my tablet, but these cold days I would really love to sit at my couch, turn my Mega Drive Forever on, and play those cool games on my projector. I can do it already by pluggin my tablet to the projector, but don't have the proper gamepads. I use an 8bitdo SNES pad, which is weird XD

• 2 weeks later...

I think I found a way to play the game without ads and without paying too. At least on the PC.

I tried to install Sonic 2 on my Cellphone but it was incompatible, so I decided to have the full SEGA Forever collection on my Notebook using BlueStacks. It seems if I put my notebook on airplane mode after start the game, the game don't request to connect to wi-fi or something. However, I remember when I tried to do the same with Sonic 1 in my cellphone it requested to connect with internet.

So here's a tip for those who don't like ads and it's poor.

Btw: I would like to see Bonanza Bros. and Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle on that collection. I already won Comix Zone at Steam for free during the Make War not Love.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sonic CD hasn't been available to download on mobile devices for quite a while now (was takedown for "maintenance" ages ago).

Well, it's now available again. As expected, Sonic CD has joined the SEGA Forever line-up

The good news is that the controls still seem fine (unlike in the Sonic 2 SEGA Forever version).  However, the sound isn't quite right. There's weird occasional static noise (difficult to describe).

I've uploaded a quick playthrough of Palmtree Panic zone from the new version:

Here's the game running on my iPhone X.

- SEGA ads riddling the paid version of the game. If playing the free version, you get even more ads and non-SEGA ones.
- Huge white box on the title screen.
- Intro movie relegated to a menu option and lazy iOS media player
- And, most obviously, the entire game is unplayable past the first checkpoint. 

Whenever you progress past the first checkpoint in the very first level, the graphics become totally messed up and the game is unplayable. But hey, at least you can still check out those ads for Forces and Crazy Taxi! And the intro movie isn't just a menu option now - it's explicitly a media file on a bog standard iOS video player.

I'm sorry, but this is absolute rubbish. I paid good money to support the definitive version of CD years ago, and SEGA has actively gone out to make it worse. Ads for other SEGA were not part of the deal. This was anything but lazy when it first released, but it's incredibly obvious how little anyone other than the original developer (and the PR/social media guys) cares. There's absolutely no integrity from SEGA as a business or game developer. They treat their customers and fans horribly as a rule, and serve up whatever they can for minimal effort.

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Here's the game running on my iPhone X.

- Ads riddling the paid version of the game (this is intentional by SEGA, as they're only SEGA ads).
- Huge white box on the title screen.
- Intro movie relegated to a menu option and lazy iOS media player
- And, most obviously, the entire game is unplayable past the first checkpoint. 

Whenever you progress past the first checkpoint in the very first level, the graphics become totally messed up and the game is unplayable. But hey, at least you can still check out those ads for Forces and Crazy Taxi! And the intro movie isn't just a menu option now - it's explicitly a media file on a bog standard iOS video player.

I'm sorry, but this is absolute rubbish. I paid good money to support the definitive version of CD years ago, and SEGA has actively gone out to make it worse. Ads for other SEGA were not part of the deal. This was anything but lazy when it first released, but it's incredibly obvious how little anyone other than the original developer (and the PR/social media guys) cares. There's absolutely no integrity from SEGA as a business or game developer. They treat their customers and fans horribly as a rule, and serve up whatever they can for minimal effort.

A quick question about the ads - did you remember to go to the options menu and restore purchases? If you didn't, it'll think you have the free version and therefore display the ads.

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

A quick question about the ads - did you remember to go to the options menu and restore purchases? If you didn't, it'll think you have the free version and therefore display the ads.

As I said, it displays the SEGA ads regardless of whether or not you've paid. Without paying/restoring purchases you get more ads and non-SEGA ones as well.

17 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

As I said, it displays the SEGA ads regardless of whether or not you've paid. Without paying/restoring purchases you get more ads and non-SEGA ones as well.

Alright, now that shit can fuck right off. Piss off SEGA.

• Chuckle 1

Just now, DiamondX the Fighter said:

I mean, the only appear on the main menu and only if you click on them.

That's not the fucking point, I didn't pay for the game to be bombarded with SEGA trying to sell me their other shit, that's like if you started Forces and got an ad for Football Manager or if you started Mania and got an ad for Sonic 4. I paid for the game, so why are you still trying to advertise bullshit to me?

• Thumbs Up 2

The idea is that it only appears in the top-right corner and the ad itself appears only if you touch it. And it's only on the main menu.

It doesn't force you to touch it.

4 minutes ago, DiamondX the Fighter said:

The idea is that it only appears in the top-right corner and the ad itself appears only if you touch it. And it's only on the main menu.

Uh, no. Blue Blood's video clearly shows ads popping up on a purchased version of the game in between loading screens without him tapping the icon.

Wierd. Maybe it's because I don't have it purchased...

Well, ignore what I said then. I just said how it shows up for me.

Sonic 1 and 2 don't have those weird issues. I played Sonic 2 just the other day, and the paid version works just fine, no ads displayed whatsoever.

I wonder why they did that with CD. That's definitely bad.

18 minutes ago, DiamondX the Fighter said:

You always get a SEGA ad between the title screen and menu screen. It's entirely unavoidable and I paid for the game years ago before the F2P model existed for it. Even optional ads shouldn't be appearing in the menus if I already paid. That's not what I ever signed up for.

On top of that, there's a crippling bug near the start of Palmtree Panic that renders the entire game unplayable. How did that get through testing? The sound effects are also messed up now (some are very loud, other quiet) as well as other audio glitches. It's a sloppy, lazy, money-grabbing update.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, DiamondX the Fighter said:

Wierd. I didn't get any add between the title screen and main menu and the game works just fine for me.

Ads don't display if you're not online.

I am using Wi-Fi while playing the game. I get ads when I exit and enter the game and between stages, byt no ad between the title screen and main menu.

I bought Virtua Tennis, Sega Forever version, and Sega ads were shown every time I launched the game (if I was online, yes). I uninstalled it and complained in Sega Forever's Twitter account. They clearly didn't care. They've also been promising 8bitdo gamepads support since this started, and it never comes.

I was so much willing to pay for my favourite Sega Forever games just to support the initiative (because I can play them in many other, better, ways), but this has been a huge failure. They should have taken a whole extra year to launch this properly.

This is pure nostalgia cash-grab poorly managed. Another disappointment for the fans, but most likely unnoticeable for casual players. 

25 minutes ago, DiamondX the Fighter said:

I am using Wi-Fi while playing the game. I get ads when I exit and enter the game and between stages, byt no ad between the title screen and main menu.

Looking at Ocelot's video, you don't get the SEGA ad between the title screen and menus on the free version. So that means that when you pay for the game, it removes most of the ads but actually adds in something new to get in the way for paying customers.

SEGA really are scum.

• Promotion 1

For what it's worth, other than the intro video not working (which further investigation seems to suggest being my Mate 10 not liking it, as my One M9 has no issues) the Android version doesn't seem to have been changed. If you bought the old version it is still treated separate on the Play Store:

Screenshot_20180209-123547.thumb.png.e5c7471ae10465cb9bf1e981bc652119.png

Screenshot_20180209-123503.thumb.png.d6da6aa348a6c9fc49744287ab41f4d8.png

The android version of Sonic 2 got an update back on the 30 January, which seems to have gone unnoticed by everyone on here including myself. 

I've played a few zones from the new version today. It appears to have fixed the issues I had with the controls in the previous SEGA Forever version (sometimes Sonic would stop moving for no reason, or wouldn't move at all when I pressed the touch-screen controls). It now plays more like the StealthTax version when it was first released back in 2013, AS IT SHOULD!

Doesn't look like iOS has received an update since December. 

On 2/9/2018 at 1:48 PM, Blue Blood said:

Looking at Ocelot's video, you don't get the SEGA ad between the title screen and menus on the free version. So that means that when you pay for the game, it removes most of the ads but actually adds in something new to get in the way for paying customers.

SEGA really are scum.

When you pay to remove the ads (I used one of the codes provided by the SEGA Forever PR guy) the third-party ads no longer appear, however SEGA ads still appear...

On Google Play on the reviews section for the Sonic 1 version, someone received this official reply from SEGA:

"SEGA 7 February 2018

Hi, in addition to 3rd party ads, we will send you information for other SEGA games we think you may be interested in. When you make a purchase in the game, it removes the 3rd party ads but you will still see SEGA ads. If it is 3rd party ads that you are seeing, please contact us at help@sega.net with a screenshot and we'll investigate."

The fact that the paid version still includes ads (even if they are only related to SEGA games) is total bullshit.

On the Sonic 2 SEGA Version, once you have paid to remove the ads, the only SEGA ad which now appears (at least on my phone) is adverting the SEGA Forever of Sonic CD...