Awoo.

SEGA Forever Revealed!

molul

6 hours ago, Southe said:

Really? Glad I cancelled the update, pretty shitty on Sega's part. 

I still get to keep my ad-free version, no idea what he's talking about. That's just straight up misinformation.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you bought the Sonic 1 remaster you can install it when you want by going to your apps in google play, but Sega has removed this version from their games. Well, they replaced it with with the Sega forever version.

Gamepad support is bad. None of my 8bitdo pads work properly, just a few buttons.

13 hours ago, Southe said:

Really? Glad I cancelled the update, pretty shitty on Sega's part. 

Can we not get mad about this just yet? It's quite obviously an error, and has happened before both to SEGA apps (including Sonic CD) and apps in general. Wait a little while before you call foul play. 

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Can we not get mad about this just yet? It's quite obviously an error, and has happened before both to SEGA apps (including Sonic CD) and apps in general. Wait a little while before you call foul play. 

Who says I was mad? Just said it was pretty shitty, would have not updated and been fine with it. Turns out that's not the case so all is well. 

Played a bit of Kid Chameleon last night, not a fan of the controls. If these were to somehow be available on the switch or 3ds I'd be a lot happier. 

If the game updates to the free to play version, just press on restore purchase and you have the full version again.

18 minutes ago, Southe said:

Who says I was mad? Just said it was pretty shitty, would have not updated and been fine with it. Turns out that's not the case so all is well. 

Played a bit of Kid Chameleon last night, not a fan of the controls. If these were to somehow be available on the switch or 3ds I'd be a lot happier. 

Certainly sounds like you were mad.

Also, IIRC the restore purchases function doesn't work yet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bad, I just assumed it worked for everyone. Anyway if it's broken they're most likely going to fix it. It's a screw up anyway though.

14 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Certainly sounds like you were mad.

Also, IIRC the restore purchases function doesn't work yet. 

I literally just said it was pretty shitty, which if had it been true would have been. 

Moving on, need some Alex the Kidd 

Ok, I'm trying out Sonic 1 on my IPhone. There's this nice rotating model of the JP Megadrive box. Ooh, recycled sounds from Sonic CD 2011!

EDIT: Ok, there's this cool music, and some options, I set Spindash to off and boxart to US.

EDIT2: Ok, starting game, shitty ad, yadda yadda. I'll go with a save.

EDIT3: Fuck it, I already beat this game with Kega Fusion, and I keep getting hit. I'm getting Comix Zone.

36 minutes ago, Southe said:

Moving on, need some Alex Kidd 

FTFY.

EDIT4: What's this Segazine?

8 hours ago, Sgt Jack V said:

Ok, I'm trying out Sonic 1 on my IPhone. There's this nice rotating model of the JP Megadrive box. Ooh, recycled sounds from Sonic CD 2011!

EDIT: Ok, there's this cool music, and some options, I set Spindash to off and boxart to US.

EDIT2: Ok, starting game, shitty ad, yadda yadda. I'll go with a save.

EDIT3: Fuck it, I already beat this game with Kega Fusion, and I keep getting hit. I'm getting Comix Zone.

FTFY.

EDIT4: What's this Segazine?

Sonic 1 was already there, The Taxman version, those items,(Spindash, CD Effects, Saves, Change Boxart) are nothing new. 

If they add Sonic Adventure, they better port the original Dreamcast Version. Why does SEGA have emulate these games? Porting them would be much better than shoddy Mobile Emulation!

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it too early to start making bets that Sega won't port all their titles across all systems!? 

I personally think this whole Sega Forever thing will crumble and be forgotten in say, a year? less maybe? 

1 hour ago, Scott said:

Is it too early to start making bets that Sega won't port all their titles across all systems!? 

I personally think this whole Sega Forever thing will crumble and be forgotten in say, a year? less maybe? 

Their current focus is mobile, as it's the best platform for a project like this (free with ads, 2€ to remove ads). With Sega's catalogue, this sounds like BIG money.

However, I can see that if they make big money with this, they would port the games to other platforms. The mobile market is not as demanding as consoles or PC. Failing here is not a big risk.

I don't think they will remove this. It's a big bet from Sega. The concept is good: not everyone knows how to set up an emulator environment (getting the emulator, downloading the roms, configure controls, video, sound...), so here's a fast and free or very cheap option.

What I hope is that they fix a few things like:

-Option to remove linear filtering.

-CRT overlay option.

-Proper gamepad support. It's weird that I can play Sonic 1 Remastered with my 8bitdo gamepads, but not any other game. Sega says they "support HID-compatible devices". I told them to consider reviewing the controllers support, for the good of this project.

21 hours ago, Thigolf said:

Eurogamer made a fantastic interview about the whole situation. The reporter doesn't hold back at all and asks all the hard, cold questions fans had since this project launched, without sugercoating anything - it's quite refreshing. I really recommend checking this interview out. 

Fantastic questions, shitty answers. He's totally unwilling to admit to any of the problems that SEGA Forever is facing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

You can never expect a guy like that to admit anything wrong. It's his job to do EXACTLY what he did. No point on making direct questions.

That said, although the project launch has been bad (which isn't a surprise from Sega, tbh), I really hope they keep their promise to improve everything according to people's feedback. CRT filters, better gamepad support, better performance... I'm really willing to buy my most favourite Mega Drive games (Dynamite Headdy, Ristar, Comix Zone, all Sonics, and many more) just to show my support to those games, in the hope it helps Sega to greenlight some remasters or sequels.

What you should expect, quite reasonably might I add, is the acceptance of some difficulties and a drive to improve the product, whilst also acknowledging the positive points too. 

Well, that would be nice, but it's not how it works in the marketing world XD

BTW, am I the only one who jumped off his chair with that "Unofficial emulators come with spyware" statement? DAFUQ r u talking about, man? That's why Sega shouldn't get PR as their projects faces. Almost any 25-35 years old Sega fan knows Sega's legacy better, and is a bit more aware of "modern" (if you can call emulators "modern") technologies.

I guess the only thing we can do with Sega Forever is wait a few months and see what they improved. I saw they worked with GoGames, the ones behind the Steam "Mega Drive Classics Collections". They promised a lot of stuff, but they never updated the emulator. I woudn't expect many improvements on this Forever thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

No no, that's EXACTLY how it works in the marketing world. When a product gets a large amount of negative reception, you acknowledge it and promise improvements to keep consumer trust, all whilst still defending your product. You don't tell them that they are wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

No no, that's EXACTLY how it works in the marketing world. When a product gets a large amount of negative reception, you acknowledge it and promise improvements to keep consumer trust, all whilst still defending your product. You don't tell them that they are wrong. 

Not sure if you're being ironic, but I don't think acknowledging negative reception is what marketing people normally do.

What did Apple say about the iPhone 4's "antennagate"? 

“Just avoid holding it that way.”

1 hour ago, molul said:

Not sure if you're being ironic, but I don't think acknowledging negative reception is what marketing people normally do.

What did Apple say about the iPhone 4's "antennagate"? 

“Just avoid holding it that way.”

When reception is overwhelmingly negative and the problems virtually objective (the framerates are low, the sound is poor), you recognise those problems and vow to improve them. Saying "everything is fine" is the wrong way to do it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Unofficial emulation comes with spyware?

...isn't it Sega Forever that wants access to your files and location for no apparent reason? :P

• Thumbs Up 6

50 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

When reception is overwhelmingly negative and the problems virtually objective (the framerates are low, the sound is poor), you recognise those problems and vow to improve them. Saying "everything is fine" is the wrong way to do it. 

Yes, yes, I agree that's how it should be. I just don't know if you're stating that every marketing guy in the industry does that (which I disagree) or just demanding that this was the normal thing.