Awoo.

SEGA Forever Revealed!

molul

7 minutes ago, molul said:

Yes, yes, I agree that's how it should be. I just don't know if you're stating that every marketing guy in the industry does that (which I disagree) or just demanding that this was the normal thing.

It's the normal thing to reassure customers and not lie. 

if they somehow manage to make a dreamcast game small enough to be easily downloadable on a phone, i'd be impressed.

13 hours ago, blueblur98 said:

if they somehow manage to make a dreamcast game small enough to be easily downloadable on a phone, i'd be impressed.

Jet Set Radio already happened. And it was surprisingly playable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One of the things that grabbed me in that review was the claim that popular emulators are spyware ridden and so people are afraid to use them. Retroarch was literally brought up earlier in the interview.

Virtua Tennis Challenge has been added to the SEGA Forever collection.

Yep, pretty convinced now that the post-32X games will all be existing ports, or (like VTC) games that already existed for mobile and have never been on console. Looks like Sega made a business decision to hard-switch to a freemium model on mobile for its inventory, and Sega Forever is the lick of glossy paint put on to make it relevant.

Thing is, the whole thing is not a bad idea in concept. But these days, when you go all-in on promoting something as a love letter to fans (the stunt with the hand-made music cassette sent to journalists I imagine spoke to a lot of them - it definitely spoke to me because I was one of the people that did that in the Mega Drive days!), you deliver or you invite a shitstorm.

That said, it may well be the later-era games that save this. Given a decent mobile to play them on the proper 3D games Sega's put out are quality for the most part. Moving from paid to ad support is a reasonable move since there's no superior alternative to play these games on mobile (as other emulators provide for cartridge-based games).

• Promotion 1

Insta-buy. I love Virtua Tennis :D And the game works with my 8bitdo gamepads. And only 2€!!

It's a bit weird that this game is in the Forever collection, as it doesn't fit as the game, but as the franchise. But fine, I bought it when I saw it announced. I guess they do it to gain some time for next bugfixes and releases.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw it, but I'm not interested in Sega forever until they fix gamepad support and emulation issues. Every tweet from them is followed by the same complaints.

They're teasing Ristar on Sega Forever:

They should update all Sega Forever games late August/early Sept with many performance and controls fixes. Once that's done, I might buy more than one of these games, just to support certain franchises I want Sega to bring back.

• Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

It looks like the version of RoS that they used is based on the original Japanese MegaDrive release (Super Shinobi) seeing as it has Godzilla intact as well as Venom/Batman, although it uses the title is from the Virtual Console version (Legal note: Not Sonny Chiba)

EDIT:

After looking at the Google Play page, it appears to be the VC version, with Stalzilla, Devilman, and the man in the pink zentai.

Just tried it. Small review:

-It comes with a new version of the emulator. You can customize touch controls (set position only, size is on its way) and choose classic (point) or soft (linear) filter. I prefer classic, but I'm looking forward to scanlines. They said they're adding it soon.

-Sound is noticeably delayed. It's actually a game breaker. This doesn't happen with previous Sega Forever emulated games, so must be a bug in this new version.

-8bitdo controllers are still not supported, but they said on Twitter that they're already working on it.

Still waiting for updates worth my money >_<

• 3 weeks later...

Golden Axe was release yesterday. The emulator still carries over the 1sec audio delay introduced on Ristar's emulator, and D-input gamepad support is still not implemented.

I seriously think Sega should stop releasing more Sega Forever games until the emulation is fully fixed. 

These ports are terrible. A lot of these games don't transfer well to touch controls and the emulation is dreadful, with terrible audio quality and performance all over the place. I'll stick using Kega Fusion or that Steam Mega Drive, thank you. Those aren't great either, but they're better than this.  

They're determined to release more games as a way to beta-test their emulator until they reach to a decent result. It's a really wrong move in the short term, as people will associate Sega Forever with "games that don't really work on mobile". Maybe when they have 50 games and a fine emulator it compensates, but it's too risky from them.

It does beg the question of "Why couldn't they have licensed Kega Fusion" or something? I mean, surely, SEGA could've used any number of emulators out there that are under some GPLv2 license right? Then again, I'm baffled that nobody ever does this outside of dosbox.

Here's a fun thought, iOS devices and many mediatek based Android devices source their GPU's from PowerVR. Though the current gen PowerVR gpus are not related in anyway, it is funny to think of how the Dreamcast used a GPU sourced from PowerVR.

• 2 weeks later...

Space Harrier II was launched yesterday, along with an emulator update for certain games. Still no d-input controllers support, and still audio lag in my Android devices.

Oh, and 50% discount on all titles. 

• 1 month later...

Decap Attack Starring Chuck D Head (one of my all-time favorite mega-drive games) is the next SEGA Forever entry.

I've downloaded and I'm playing it now.

DNAieTvXcAIk0z9.jpg

I've become tired of Sega Forever :( As long as the emulator carries the 1 second audio delay and has no 8bitdo (D-input) controller support, I'm not interested. It's been several months already. So sad that Sega Forever is yet another half-baked Sega project -_-

On 23/06/2017 at 10:37 AM, Scott said:

I personally think this whole Sega Forever thing will crumble and be forgotten in say, a year? less maybe? 

I might actually be right about something for once :lol: