Awoo.

Sonic Mania New Boss Leaked (Sort-Of)

simtek34

http://www.tssznews.com/2017/06/14/sonic-mania-boss-details-leaked/

https://www.giantbomb.com/podcasts/giant-bombcast-485-the-e3-2017-sealed-envelope/1600-1984/ (Around 21 Minutes in)

Spoiler

So, one of the bosses is going to be a game of Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine/Puyo Pop/Puyo Puyo... I just started playing Puyo 1 and got hooked. I'M SOLD! 

• Thumbs Up 3

Spoiler

Jeff: So there’s a boss fight in there where you fuckin’ play Mean Bean Machine. Where you play Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine. It just– it just erupts in to that. And you’re just like, “fuckin’ WHAT?”
Brad: That sounds– that sounds clever!

I'm guessing this takes place in the Chemical Plant Zone.

• Thumbs Up 3

Added a spoiler tag to OP for anyone who doesn't want that surprise spoiled.

Spoiler

Interesting.

I remember reading somewhere recently that it was rumored Puyo Pop/Puyo Puyo was gonna be in Mania in some form, maybe as a bonus game. 

If it's indeed a boss fight (which pays tribute to Mean Bean Machine) then it sounds cool!

Location guess:

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Hide contents

I'm guessing this takes place in the Chemical Plant Zone.

Spoiler

That seems to fit.  We know the press have seen previews of both Chemical Plant stages, and all the footage we've seen has deliberately cut off before the miniboss and boss fights without using a placeholder area like in Mirage Saloon Act 2, so I could see it fitting there and the press having seen it.  The aesthetic makes sense, too.

Goodness knows what the gameplay is like, though, since I'm sure it will maintain the illusion that it's still a Sonic game.  Maybe it'll be like the Collision Chaos boss, which pretty much puts Sonic in a pinball machine?

I LOVE THIS IDEA I LOVE THIS IDEA I LOVE THIS IDEA!!

Spoiler

And my younger sister @Zap Monogan's favorite Sonic game is Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine, so this is certain to appeal to her too!

In general, it's GREAT to see parts of classic Sonic history other than the main four Genesis games being acknowledged, which is something we also got from the Mirage Saloon cameo of course.

• Thumbs Up 2

Spoiler

It's a good thing I've been playing so much Puyo Puyo lately, huh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm...

Can we throw a "missing" poster somewhere in the boss arena that has Adventures of Sonic's version of Robotnik shown...?

• 3 weeks later...

Mean Bean Machine? Sign me up! I love seeing puzzle elements incorporated into bosses, and as my sister mentioned, Mean Bean Machine is pretty much my favorite Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1