Awoo.

Iizuka Says Sonic Mania Will Have More Zones Than Any Previous Classic Sonic Game

Zippo

This is huge news so I decided to go ahead with a new thread. 

(http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/543/1543432/

Iizuka : There are the most number of stages in the Classic Sonic series ever.For that reason I want to say, I try not to overwhelm you so much as to keep your enjoyment.

Some math based on that confirmation from Iizuka:

Given how S3&K had 14 zones in total, that means we're getting 15 zones at the very least. We know now that there are 5 Hard Boiled Heavies, which would mean 5 new zones. Also, we can add one more, as Eggman is practically guaranteed to have his own zone as the finale, so that adds up to 6 new zones. At the very least, that leaves us with 9 returning zones. All five Mega Drive era games are being represented, so that further confirms the notion that multiple classic games will be represented with multiple zones. Now we can be a little bit less conservative with our guesses on which levels are and aren't making the cut, hooray!

• Thumbs Up 4

So when's the part when people start claiming he's a liar even on this?

Yeah, if we go by the number of zones each game originally sold on its own has had, even a projected zone total of 11 (5 new, 6 old) would be more than any previous classic game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Remember the proportion of 6:4 of Old stages vs. new that they've stated in the past, though. If we go by the absolute minimum amount of new zones (5) and promise of old zones (5) plus one on either side for the final area, that still doesn't fall in line with the 6:4 ratio that the game is supposed to have.

Sonic 3&K's 14 Zones include Hidden Palace and Doomsday, which are really just single acts. 

Iizuka-san said stages, not zones, so I think that distinction needs to be taken into account.

I've given up and decided I'll just wait and be surprised. It's getting harder for me to understand what iizuka is really saying.

*playing Sonic mania* "Ok, I know for sure this is the last stage!" 

*one act clear later*" What?! Oh man! I didn't know I was gonna have to go through this!"

If we were to go by simply stages, Sonic 1 has 18, Sonic 2 has 22, Sonic 3 has 12, Sonic & K has 14, (both combined make 27) and Sonic CD has 21, not counting time variations.

If each act in Mania has just 2 stages each, that means the minimum of 5 new, 5 old, and 1 final boss would maybe equal Sonic 2, but not surpass it.

And again, that's not taking into account the 6:4 ratio still.

Or the fact that they were basically saying they would keep most of the game a surprise at the start of the year, but now have spoiled a good 6 zones by now. >:V

If it is bare minimum, I really find this bit odd, as saying you're going with a very conservative marketing strategy at one point and then basically revealing a good 2/3rds of your game, just doesn't make sense.

If the game has a good deal more stages in both the retro lineup and the original stages, though, it makes a bit more sense... They've definitely revealed more than I thought they would with that attitude, though, regardless.

• Thumbs Up 1

By stages, a standard 11 zones with 2 acts would still beat out the other classics; Sonic 2 has a total of 20 stages. 

Doing the math, a split of 9 classic zones and 6 new zones, for a total of 15 zones, would give an exact 60/40 ratio. Just something to consider.

I would absolutely love if we got that many zones in Mania, although I won’t get my hopes up on having quite that much. I would be perfectly fine with having 11 or 12 zones, since it’s very apparent that the team is putting lots of effort into making every stage stand out in its own way and be as awesome as possible.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Bowbowis said:

Okay, seriously though, isn't it a tad presumptuous to say that Iizuka is counting S3&K as one game here? If he isn't, then Sonic 2 has the most stages, meaning Mania's stage count could be as low as 11 - 14, depending on whether or not Iizuka is counting the boss-only Death Egg or the remake exclusive Hidden Palace.

I mean...that's still a lot. I'd be happy to have that considering I was expecting 9-10 since the game was announced at most.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

By stages, a standard 11 zones with 2 acts would still beat out the other classics; Sonic 2 has a total of 20 stages. 

Ah alright, miscounted a prototype as one. Original Sonic 2 has 20, Taxman version has 21.

In that case, CD is the longest game in its original form. In which case, yeah, it can surpass it, but only by one stage, lol. Doubt that's what made Iizuka bring it up unprovoked in the interview.

It'd be really helpful if someone could get an official translation of this excerpt, though. At the moment, all we're going off of is a Google translate version.

So, Iizuka-san you're saying Mania will have more than Knuckles Chaotix 32 acts?  :ruby:

My original prediction of 14 zones = 28 acts (8 re-imagined & 6 new) seems even more likely now. 28 full-length acts comfortably beats 3&K's 25 acts. If it turns out there are more zones/acts then the more the merrier!

• Thumbs Up 4

There is a fair chance that Iizuka-san would have discussed the concept of Mania containing the most zones informally, and formally, with the team. The number from Mania would most likely have been compared at some point with the specific number from Sonic 3 & Knuckles!  A multiple region spanning adventure really fits with the title as well!! 

I'm glad they have been patient with mentioning this because it adds a lot of excitement all at once!  Previously the statements that it is a big game and the ratio, those were exciting too but not the same, they were all still open to interpretation and so it was a measured excitement much more than a hype train overdrive excitement as this certainly comes close to being (It is indeed still a statement that is open to interpretation which is wonderful in its own way ^_^:lol::o  )

There's not a lot to go by with this until we learn more - but it would not surprise me if Mania has more content than S3&K together. The push to make this a better game than the original trilogy so what gives me this belief. 

Going with my prediction of at least 12 zones. Explained below:

1. S3&K had 14 zones - including single stages like Sky Sanctuary, Hidden Palace and Doomsday. In total we'd be looking at  25(?) stages here.

2. Sonic 2 had, including Hidden Palace, 12 zones. Some of which were also single stages like S3&K.  21 stages here (?).

3. Even Sonic 1, the smallest title which only had 7 zones. 6 of these zones had 3 stages in comparison to 2. 19 stages.

4. Sonic CD also had only 7 zones. But 3 acts per zone we'd be looking at 21 stages. That's not including Past/Future variations.

(Correct me if I'm wrong with the stage counts).

Going by these numbers definitely thinking at least 21 stages for Mania. But I think we will see more than that. This game will be huge by Classic Sonic standards. Watch it have more than S3&K ??

Keep in mind, he said something similar about Sonic 4 being the biggest Classic Sonic game once it was finished. Technically that was true since there were 8 zones with 4 acts a piece plus the single act Egg Station in E1 and the two act Death Egg mk II in E2. That's 35 Acts even though it doesn't feel like it.

Im sure we don't need to be so pessimistic with Mania, but I think it's also good to be cautious about marketing speak.

People really need to distinguish zone from stage. I see 12 zonescand a final boss. 12 x 2 is 24 acts basically

Mania's gonna be packed with tons of goods. By looking at the current line up of zones and the quality of level design, I can comfortably say that I'll be playing Mania for the next 20 years or so, like I've played the original classics to this day.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel like people are measuring this game's quality by the number of stages/zones it has. Realistically speaking, if Sonic Mania did have more zones or stages than any classic game, including Sonic 3 & Knuckles (if they were considered one game), then they would've advertised that a long time ago, I take everything Iizuka says with a grain of salt.

45 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

if Sonic Mania did have more zones or stages than any classic game, including Sonic 3 & Knuckles (if they were considered one game), then they would've advertised that a long time ago

Well, we have been told nearly from the beginning that:

1. It is longer than Generations.

2. We don't have to worry about the high ratio of returning levels because it is a big game.

Take that as you will.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'd be very interested to see the original footage for that "sixty-forty" ratio remark; it strikes me as being a bit off-the-cuff and not to be taken literally.

• Thumbs Up 3

33 minutes ago, FFWF said:

I'd be very interested to see the original footage for that "sixty-forty" ratio remark; it strikes me as being a bit off-the-cuff and not to be taken literally.

I seem to remember it is from a message board post maybe on NeoGAF!  I think it was after the specific mention during a video interview that there would be more classic zones than new.  ^_^:)  I think someone else will remember exactly where it was posted!

11 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

I seem to remember it is from a message board post maybe on NeoGAF!  I think it was after the specific mention during a video interview that there would be more classic zones than new.  ^_^:)  I think someone else will remember exactly where it was posted!

Here you go:

Long story short, this feels like a faithful recreation of what everyone loved about Sonic in the Genesis era. That’s in part because, well, it sort of is the Sonic of the Genesis era. The Sega rep told us that the game is about 60 percent remixing levels from past Sonic games and about 40 percent using ideas that are new or that were never implemented back then.

Iizuka said in one of Aaron's twitch streams there's more classic than new stages.

• Thumbs Up 1