Awoo.

Iizuka Says Sonic Mania Will Have More Zones Than Any Previous Classic Sonic Game

Zippo

Generations was not long so judging that is not a good indication. I beat Gen in less than 4 hours. And that was from most my time being in the sound test menu. A good 5 hour game to last me a month or two till some of the games from e3 start dropping will do me fine.

19 hours ago, OcelotBot said:

Long story short, this feels like a faithful recreation of what everyone loved about Sonic in the Genesis era. That’s in part because, well, it sort of is the Sonic of the Genesis era. The Sega rep told us that the game is about 60 percent remixing levels from past Sonic games and about 40 percent using ideas that are new or that were never implemented back then.

Here you go:

Iizuka said in one of Aaron's twitch streams there's more classic than new stages.

Thank you!!  I have never seen this full writeup.  ^_^:)  It is helpful to see that the representative included the word "about"; indicating that it is an fairly accurate proportion, rather than intending to be a statement about the exact percent balance between old and new zones. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Say...

What is he means there are more stages in Mania than in ALL of the Classic titles COMBINED?

...What a thought.

That would imply that they'd remade more or less every zone.  Incredible feat though that would be, such a game would really be too long.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, FFWF said:

That would imply that they'd remade more or less every zone.  Incredible feat though that would be, such a game would really be too long.

Blasphemy I say! You can never have a game that's too long in this franchise!

Now too SHORT, there's a definite and factual occurrence. lol

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I'm only expecting roughly 12 zones still...

I dunno...

I'd like to be the crazy man two feet from the nut-house and say at least 20 or so, but the ever shrinking sane part of me does thing 15-18 is more likely.

The depressed side of me stands next to you however in that estimate.

• Thumbs Up 1

I expect at least 12-14 zones honestly. I dont think we will get only one classic Zone per game, I expect at least 2 for sonic 1, 2 and 3k.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still standing by my lower estimate of eleven as a safe figure.  I think more than that is possible, but not more than fifteen.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Should probably count bonus/special stages as well.

Fun is infinite, thus so too are the stages/zones in Mania.

...If you count DLC that is...

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I dunno...

I'd like to be the crazy man two feet from the nut-house and say at least 20 or so,

I think that the 2P competition mode does exist but is unannounced, outside of the mention on Steam!  Maybe it is in the format of Sonic 2 and includes some of the zones from the main game , or in, or similar to, the format Sonic 3 had it correct that more streamlined and even completely separate zones, that can even have competition specific mechanics and items. 

If it is the latter, then there will be a good number of zones that are either unique streamlined versions of ones appearing in the game, or unique to this mode!  ^_^:)