Awoo.

Should sonic boom be canceled ?

A sonic fan

I seriously think sega should just cancel boom altogether and not just the tv series. I feel that the franchise doesnt need a 3rd sector and should just be split into classic and modern, nobody really asked for or needs boom. The main reason why i think they should do it is because imo it creates brand confusion, kids will watch sonic boom and unless they make a new boom game (which i doubt they will)  they will buy a modern sonic game and be confused as to why sonic looks and acts different. I'd rather they make a new sonic series similar to sonic x in which it contains the main series characters and tone. 

What are your thoughts on this ?

I'd argue that the discrepancies in design are probably not going to be nearly as big of a deal to the target demographic as they are with the older fans of the show.  I grew up in the 90's, where it was even more confusing.  Sonic looks and acts very different in the classic games than he did in SatAM and AoSTH (two shows that are by themselves completely different despite literally airing at the same time) or the comics, and SatAM and the comics had a whole catalog of characters that only appeared as cameos in one game (which a lot of people I know didn't even bother to get), meanwhile fan favorites like Amy and Knuckles were nowhere to be seen.  Despite the obvious differences, no one I know ever questioned it, honestly.  You accept a lot of stupid things as a kid, no matter how glaringly inconsistent or dumb it may be.

By contrast, Sonic Boom looks different, but it still has a very similar approach in terms of storytelling and atmosphere to the main series Sonic games from Colors onward and, with the comics currently in "hiatus," it's the only series currently running that contradicts the main Sonic image.  In other words, kids today have it a lot easier than we did, and I don't picture them being that much more inquisitive when it comes to things like that.  It's never stopped TMNT fans, in any case.

If there's any reason I would want Sonic Boom to be canceled, it's simply because I personally haven't enjoyed any of the games (though I've not played Fire & Ice, which I hear is quite "okay, I guess, kind of") and I've become sort of disillusioned with what I feel is lackluster quality from the TV show.  In its current state, Sonic Boom is benign but ultimately pointless. At least, in regards to anything that is relevant to me as a fan.  I see no intrinsic harm in continuing it, but won't be sad to see it quietly fade away, either, though I do empathize with those who may feel differently.

• Thumbs Up 3

well, i wouldn't like the boom series (specifically the TV series, since i don't see they releasing another game anytime soon) to go anywhere, in fact i would love if the show gets renewed to a 3rd season, i give mad props to the show for taking the place of SatAM as my favorite sonic cartoon, something i never thought would happen especially when boom was revealed, i strongly disliked the premise at the time, now i want it to end as much as i want the sonic comics to end, that being:

hqdefault.jpg

Kids are a lot smarter than people give them credit for.  I've never really seen anyone claim it's too confusing without having an underlying message of "basically I personally dislike it and need to find a potential non-subjective reason to justify my idea of it being discontinued".

Plus like, I find it kind of funny that you say two Sonics that look and act different is a problem while saying Classic and Modern Sonic existing as seperate identities for the same character is fine.

...I really didn't mean to sound so antagonising in this post but I can't think of any softer way to phrase these thoughts lol.

• Thumbs Up 7

If Sonic can survive the brand confusion of the 90s, it sure as heck can survive it now. ^_^

Besides, the Sonic Boom TV show is a hit despite the terrible treatment it's received by its network. Plus, some would argue it's really, really good. :P Everything's fine.

• Thumbs Up 3

As somebody who really hates everything about the Boom brand I'd rather not. Mostly because there are plenty of folks who genuinely love it so why cancel it? 

• Thumbs Up 2

I agree with the most part of your text, but there a few things that we need to note that is not full clear for hardcore Sonic fans.

In fact, Sonic is passing trough a changing period, in 2010 we saw Sonic Colors which introduced Wisps and a new type of gameplay, one year after we saw SEGA showing that Classic Sonic isn't dead. In 2012 SEGA tried to take back the classic Sonic essence with Sonic 4, but it was almost unacceptable by the fans. Two years after, SEGA tried to reboot the series as Spin-Off with Sonic Boom, investing a lot in this new franchise, but the game just became a little piece of sh*t and hated by the most fans, the only thing that made a few success was the TV series. Now we're seeing SEGA bring the classic Sonic gameplay with Sonic Forces and Mania.

The TV shows brings money to SEGA and is great accepted by the most fans. But certainly, isn't is everyone who would like to see a new Sonic Boom game, Sonic Fire & Ice was good, but Rise of Lyric not, and this certainly wouldn't bring a good look by the fans and the media. In other words, we can say that SEGA is just doing what gives or will give money.

And yeah, if the older series was so confused as now, certainly Sonic will survive with Boom. Particularly I would feel better with a series more based in the games, but if Sonic Boom is giving profit, so why not? (Even if it was canceled here in Brazil. I hate you Brazilian Cartoon Network)

Quite the contrary, I want this cartoon to thrive and become more successful and popular (I got sold on the "gotta go fast as a medical excuse" line). While I do like this cartoon, I sincerely hope that we don't get any other content that is Boom-related outside of this cartoon. The games were pure mediocrity at best and absolute horse shit at worst.

• Thumbs Up 1

As Tara has said. I don't see any harm if the subfanchise continues or not. There are people who love it and there are people who loathe it. So it doesn't really matter if it ends or not, one side will end up being disappointed. 

Personally, The only thing I liked about Boom is the T.V show and it seems to be the only saving grace of it. Once that's over, Boom might as well be gone too. At least the series would've ended on a much positive note. 

Sonic does better as a brand when he's got his foot in more than one door. Considering the recent blitz Sega has made in the last year or so to ensure Sonic branding on God knows how many knick-knacks, it would be utterly stupid to boot the Boom Sub Franchise, because its TV series is the single largest chunk of synergistic, free advertising that they've got going for them right now. Especially so because Sega sucks at advertising as it is. Double-ly especially so because the comics have gone a-wall.

Differences between source material is really of tiny consequence when it comes to TV shows. As long as its a cool blue Hedgehog that makes kids want to buy T Shirts, plushies and games, then Boom doesn't need to go anywhere. They just better make sure they can blow peoples socks off on reveal if they think about pushing another videogame. It has to make a dynamite first impression to avoid being lumped in with what came before it. Anything short of that isn't worth the dev time.

The idea of Sonic Boom as an entire sub-franchise, particularly as a major focus of the series' efforts, was a pretty poor and very unnecessary idea to begin with. If Sonic Boom were just a minor thing that mostly focused around the show, it would've been fine, honestly. But for a while, it almost did seem like a "psuedo reboot" and unnecessary rebranding that messed up a lot of the original unique flair and style of the Sonic series for something more "generic Western kids' media". And the fact that they didn't go all the way with it by making it an actual reboot, while ultimately a "good thing" due to the weakness of the Boom style, just makes the entire effort silly and pointless.

If it were up to me, forget about supporting the "sub-franchise" as a whole with major branding efforts and games, but you might as well let the show stay. It can serve as a standalone product just like the Sonic cartoons before it, it has its fans, and it's not really hurting anything. Apart from the character designs, Sonic Boom is actually quite a bit closer to "mainstream Sonic" than some of the cartoons of the past (which is another reason that making it a sub-franchise is dumb - it's not even different enough to feel like a true "alternate take", which just makes it feel more like an aborted reboot), so I don't think brand confusion would really be that huge a deal. Most people, even kids, can accept that multiple versions of a character can exist.

Thankfully, my desired outcome pretty much seems to be what Sega is doing right now, so...goody, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1

As someone that adores everything Boom, obviously hell no.

While I can agree the games are nothing noteworthy but the cartoon has been doing pretty well.... outside the US, not kidding. So while Boom is doing decent enough on Boomerang but seeing how it won Best Animation at the Chico Film Festival a few months ago and is nominated for Teens Choice Best Animated TV Show along with more well-known cartoons, I just find it very unlikely that Boom is going to end after its second season.

And I can see why people are coming from where Boom is pointless when the main series have been going for a more comical tone but I don't think that's really the case. The only game that's going for a more comical tone in the main series was Colors. Generations has such a lackluster story with no tone so there was barely any comedy in it, Lost World attempted to go for a balanced tone of serious and comical moments and well yeah, didn't work out. And from the looks of it, Forces is going back to a more serious tone.

So idk, I find it difficult to see the main series interpretation being placed in the Boom cartoon. Like Boom is a different type of comedy from any other comical attempts in the series, it's very much a sitcom with a casual laidback tone. But with Season 2, it's definitely putting a bigger focus on action/adventure as well with the multiparter episodes but it still has the comical flair that makes Boom standout.

Boom is doing fine and it's definitely helps show that Sonic is more than just a gaming character but a multimedia icon. But I can understand if Boom isn't going to last long but until then, I'm gonna enjoy the living crap out of this subseries!

GIVE ME MORE BOOM BAYBEEE!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Sega should think of merging all Sonics into one, and instead of making different versions of Sonic, just create NEW mascots. Do you want an anthropomorphic animal with a scarf? Find out a different animal. LEAVE BRITNEY SONIC ALONE! XDD

They should kill Sonic Boom as soon as possible, and then try to merge classic and modern Sonic into some in-between design, giving a more solid feeling.

EDIT: after this small rant, I'm calm enough now to explain myself. Do you see Nintendo trying so hard to make their characters more and more modern? No, they go the classic approach. Updating the character without heavily changing it. NATURAL evolution. Sonic could be this, if Sega wasn't so desperate to look modern-modern-modern-modern. Seriously, was Sonic Boom neccessary? Not at all. They could have made a totally new bunch of characters, Knuckles wouldn't have missed the leg day, etc. They went to the problem "Sonic is not as profitable as we'd like it to", and instead of making GREAT games, they give him a scarf. Boom Sonic is a failure that can't disappear soon enough.

EDIT2: not to forget that it's Sonic Boom and Sonic Toon. This is so 90's, when you had to rename things differently depending on the region. Lazy marketing. Anything Sonic Boom related is a mess from the start.

My own view is that the TV show, being not unsuccessful and not offensive, should gradually be reintegrated into main canon with the designs (and to an extent setting) gradually getting closer to the mainline Modern designs.  I don't have to claim that brand division is "confusing" in order to believe that brand unity is a good thing.  With that said, mainline canon appears to be splintering at present, making this united prospect even less realistic.

I grew up watching Megaman NT Warrior anime. Nowadays I'm a classic Megaman fan, barely remembering the anime. basically Same can happen ti kids watching Sonic Boom.

46 minutes ago, FFWF said:

My own view is that the TV show, being not unsuccessful and not offensive, should gradually be reintegrated into main canon with the designs (and to an extent setting) gradually getting closer to the mainline Modern designs.  I don't have to claim that brand division is "confusing" in order to believe that brand unity is a good thing.  With that said, mainline canon appears to be splintering at present, making this united prospect even less realistic.

Not sure if that's realistic. Gradually changing... how? Remove the scarf one year, Knuckles getting smaller each year... I don't think that's better than just removing the branch.

If we can accept all the different forms of Batman and recognize them as different enities, then I think we can accept all the different versions of Sonic as well.

Personally I don't think we should cancel Boom, as it seems to be a pretty big hit despite the games being complete bombs and the comic being on hiatus, now of course it shouldn't completely take over and become the face of the franchise, Like what Satam and Aosth did, but as it is right now, it's fine. And it has actually done some good for the series despite it all, like for example it managed to completely redeem Amy in a lot of peoples eyes for one and is possibly going to influence her character in future appearances to come. (no Minnie Mouse like voice for one.) And plus, it's a good show, not perfect by any means, but the show has certainly shown impressive improvement since it began.

So I say, keep Boom up until the team feels like they're ready to end it as opposed to suddenly cancelling it. (Because the last thing I want is a scenerio where it ends up getting cancelled right when it was starting to get good.)