Awoo.

Weird Official Sonic Art

Big Panda

On 9/13/2019 at 3:53 PM, Rosaleia said:

....Really? No one thought to bring THIS one up?!

image.png.a781de23f5f66e03533763b77937b225.png

Spoiler

Sonic the Hedgehog

---BUKKAKED!

....so sorry...

• Promotion 1

Got some more weird Sonic art.

spacer.png

This was from Sega World Sydney.

A trend that I've noticed with Sega World Sydney Sonic stuff is that they give him blue arms.

They even did it with the mascot costume:

spacer.png

It really ticks me off.

Anyway, the art looks like a modified version of another piece of Sonic art.

It doesn't look too good.

1 hour ago, Nintenboi said:

Got some more weird Sonic art.

spacer.png

This was from Sega World Sydney.

A trend that I've noticed with Sega World Sydney Sonic stuff is that they give him blue arms.

They even did it with the mascot costume:

The blue arms in this particular artwork makes Sonic look like he has on sleeves.

I've got a bunch of Knuckles stuff, courtesy of Archie:

knuxhasinflamedhands.jpg.ae1fcd27336e92b930082f67222b2ea3.jpg

Evidently Knuckles has balloon hands.

RCO020.thumb.jpg.99a1e0662e28c9d0c2f431b6a25f8bc4.jpg

I forgot how mature the comics got lol. (I love Axer's work for the record)

knuxthepeepingtom.jpg.d20d0c6094415cf2029c1f2c822a47f7.jpg

Well to be fair for Knux, he IS alone on an island most of the time.

997406792_tumblr_prmvpt6e761u4is2oo1_12801.jpg.a231037225f0258ac195b1c4d1cb7a97.jpg

Also here's that Knuckles shower scene you never knew you needed!

On 9/18/2019 at 7:31 PM, Nintenboi said:

This is something that I would like to bring up.

For some reason, American Classic Eggman art depicted him with these weird beady eyes.

Between this and the cartoon shows, I sometimes wonder if Sonic's American team even KNEW about Robotnik's glasses.

They're blue in S1 and SCD but black in S2 and S3&K, by the way.

7 hours ago, Austroid said:

RCO020.thumb.jpg.99a1e0662e28c9d0c2f431b6a25f8bc4.jpg

I forgot how mature the comics got lol. (I love Axer's work for the record)

It's easy to forget that some of the early backup stories of Mr. Flynn's time were actually older ones that were sitting in storage for the longest time before he and the editor dug them up.

7 hours ago, Austroid said:

knuxthepeepingtom.jpg.d20d0c6094415cf2029c1f2c822a47f7.jpg

Well to be fair for Knux, he IS alone on an island most of the time.

How self aware. :lol: 

2 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

Between this and the cartoon shows, I sometimes wonder if Sonic's American team even KNEW about Robotnik's glasses.

They're blue in S1 and SCD but black in S2 and S3&K, by the way.

His sign post sprite has a clear glare in his lens.

21 minutes ago, MainJP said:

His sign post sprite has a clear glare in his lens.

I mean, tell that to the Western Sonic 2/3 cover artists and to the cartoon designers.

19 hours ago, BaronGrackle said:

I mean, tell that to the Western Sonic 2/3 cover artists and to the cartoon designers.

Well I don't know, they'd have to be fuckin' blind?

They also tended not to give him gloves either:

BDkdcn5.jpg

.Despite his sprites clearly having them.

HmJxEZg.gif

Plus, I'm pretty sure he was just straight up redesigned instead of the artists just being unaware of what he's supposed to look like. They had access to the Japanese artwork as Greg Martin literally did redesign some Japanese illustrations:

I1MTs3h.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/21/2019 at 10:40 AM, DabigRG said:

It's easy to forget that some of the early backup stories of Mr. Flynn's time were actually older ones that were sitting in storage for the longest time before he and the editor dug them up.

Huh. I didn't know that. Do you mean they're just things from his old submissions, or were they ideas the editor had but previous writers like Penders didn't want to do similar to including Shadow in the Future Mobius stories?

42 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

Huh. I didn't know that. Do you mean they're just things from his old submissions, or were they ideas the editor had but previous writers like Penders didn't want to do similar to including Shadow in the Future Mobius stories?

I'm pretty sure 80% of them were older stories.

The most obvious majority were stories written by Michael Gallagher and penciled by [whoever tended to do his wackier stories], some of which featured the return of the Universalamander, an island of lost Badniks, Pseudo Sonic turning giant to fight the Forty Fantom Freedom Fighters, and a weird Groundhog Day Loop story with Sonic.

Now of course, there were a select few stories that seemed and most likely were new, but sorta bridged the gap in terms of who worked on them. The only one that comes to mind is the Espio in the Golden Hive Story, which was written by Mr. Flynn, pencilled by [someone I don't recall that had a different style with relatively thick outlines], and yet was lettered(?) by Mr. Penders.

And coming full circle, that Knuckles panel is from a story featuring Renfield T Rodent for the first time since the LSD issue(?) that was originally written by Romy Chacon and was clearly penciled by J. Axer. And as you may or may not have heard, J. Axer had a decent number of conceptual designs/redesigns that were also in storage, most notably a redesign for Nic that helped change Mr. Flynn's mind about killing her offscreen and ended up in the Complete Sonic Encyclopedia.

Of course, I'm sure there were indeed a few previously skipped ideas like King Shadow mixed in there. Wasn't there something called Dear Aly, for example?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The only one that comes to mind is the Espio in the Golden Hive Story, which was written by Mr. Flynn, pencilled by [someone I don't recall that had a different style with relatively thick outlines], and yet was lettered(?) by Mr. Penders.

I think I recall that one. Steven Butler was the main artist, Penders had handled the inks and letters--and that would be his final contribution to Archie. Always wondered about that one since it was at least a year into Ian's run and it sounded like Penders had taken off immediately after turning in the end of the Shadow arc.

A lot of that does make sense though. The only stories I remember feeling like out of place filler stories was the two-parter about Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles finding a Chao Garden; it was about a year into Ian and Tracy's run, but it looked more like Tracy's first issue, so I figured that was some demo they decided to finish up and use to pad out a couple issues just before the #175 milestone.

3 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

A lot of that does make sense though. The only stories I remember feeling like out of place filler stories was the two-parter about Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles finding a Chao Garden--it was about a year into Ian and Tracy's run, but it looked more like Tracy's first issue, so I always figured that was some demo they decided to finish up and use to pad out just before the #175 milestone.

That Chao two-parter was originally going to be published in 155-156 (instead of that dreadful Dulcy story). I specifically remember how the original 155 solicit advertised it back in the day.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I think I recall that one. Steven Butler was the main artist, Penders had handled the inks and letters--and that would be his final contribution to Archie. Always wondered about that one since it was at least a year into Ian's run and it sounded like Penders had taken off immediately after turning in the end of the Shadow arc.

Oh yeah, Steven Butler! That sounds about right--guess it the colors throwing me off.

And yeah, that was really weird.

6 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

A lot of that does make sense though. The only stories I remember feeling like out of place filler stories was the two-parter about Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles finding a Chao Garden; it was about a year into Ian and Tracy's run, but it looked more like Tracy's first issue, so I figured that was some demo they decided to finish up and use to pad out a couple issues just before the #175 milestone.

I think that's because it was.

On the old Bumbleking forums, he had the Script Bits uploads that showcased excerpts of the scripts to his first 8 or so issues, paragraphs discussing the context and intentions behind them, and certain elements that were changed in the final product. There were also a few stories that were either intented as backups or were simply audition stories he sent in back in the day.

See Ya Later Chao was indeed one of the former.

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 4:31 AM, MainJP said:

Well I don't know, they'd have to be fuckin' blind?

They also tended not to give him gloves either:

BDkdcn5.jpg

.Despite his sprites clearly having them.

HmJxEZg.gif

Plus, I'm pretty sure he was just straight up redesigned instead of the artists just being unaware of what he's supposed to look like.

I think I remember reading somewhere that SoA didn't think Classic Eggman looked evil and/or ugly enough for a Western audience. So that's where the AoStH and SatAM designs came in. The "West-ification" of the Classic design always gave me Yosemite Sam vibes:

yosemiteegg.PNG.74f11dc37e344495851541b5e43247a5.PNG

Whether it be rabbits or hedgehogs, they're always out to get 'em!

Personally, I would've been fine with just this look during Eggman's early years in the West; as opposed to the AoStH and SatAM designs.

• Thumbs Up 3

More Sega World Sydney stuff.

spacer.png

For some reason, Robotnik has this huge buck tooth and Tails looks really strange.

Maybe because his eyebrows are missing.

5 minutes ago, Nintenboi said:

spacer.png

For some reason, Robotnik has this huge buck tooth and Tails looks really strange.

Also because he's chewing tobacca.

11 hours ago, Nintenboi said:

spacer.png

You should see the plushies they made of him.

hqdefault.jpg
Look at this horrid thing.

That's not a mustache. That's wild, unkempt balding hair. He also looks like he's wearing a burglar's mask here.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

hqdefault.jpg

That's not a mustache. That's wild, unkempt balding hair. He also looks like he's wearing a burglar's mask here.

Yeah-heh-heh, I was about to say, he looks like the Hamburglar after a 50 year stroke.

• Promotion 1

On 9/26/2019 at 11:05 PM, Dr. Mechano said:

hqdefault.jpg

OH GOD THAT'S BAD!

• Promotion 1

38 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

B0-CF0-E42-3-DAC-4-FF7-B0-F3-EB9-D649-BA

Not as horrible as the Robotnik one, but still pretty bad. I don't know why they made his bangs white though.