Awoo.

Weird Official Sonic Art

Big Panda

Here's the box art for Sonic Compilation.

spacer.png

There are a few things wrong with this.

First of all, we get another piece of Tails art thats just a copy paste of that one piece of art for SATAM.

Second of all, why does Robotnik look so confused? Couldn't they have used more fitting art where he has an angry face or an evil smile?

Sonic looks fine enough but overall, this has to be the worst box art made for the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why has no one posted this yet!?

spacer.png

This art is super lazy.

I mean seriously! His arms are blue and one of his shoes is bigger than the other one.

Maybe the smaller shoe is supposed to make it look like one of his shoes is further away, but from the background they used you can't tell.

This art is just very bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

If we're talking bad DVD art, I've got this AoStH example here, which uses the wrong Robotnik on its box:

843501000625.jpg

I feel like ol' Julian would be pretty out of place in AoStH's Mobius.

4 minutes ago, Nintenboi said:

Why has no one posted this yet!?

spacer.png

Maybe the smaller shoe is supposed to make it look like one of his shoes is further away, but from the background they used you can't tell.

If the bottoms of the shoes were actually level, it'd actually look right.

I think they drew him as if he was standing on a ledge or something. Note how a chunk of the sole on the smaller foot is missing, as if there used to be a bit of ground there.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing wrong here. Just Sonic swimming, as he is known to do.

Sonic_Hedgehog_2_-_Artwork_-_(4).jpg

Gotta love these renditions of Masher and Shellcracker too.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Nothing wrong here. Just Sonic swimming, as he is known to do.

Depicting him as a capable swimmer wasn't exactly uncommon.

SSS_SONIC21.png

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

He dislikes water, they never said he couldn't swim...

Him not being able to swim was a new thing.

At this risk of going on a tangent, it's not that new.

Even in gameplay, he's always only been able to walk underwater. You could argue that's just because swimming simply wasn't a mechanic in the Sonic games, but then Sonic 3 (1994) gave Tails the ability to swim while Sonic still couldn't. So I'd say early on they made a deliberate decision to depict him as a non-swimmer.

Though yeah, this particular artwork is from 1993, and is from a Sonic 2-based calendar. So it's not a big deal and I'm not really criticizing it. Just found it amusing.

• Thumbs Up 3

My earliest memory of a Sonic that was straight up unable to swim in an media is probably Underground.

6 minutes ago, Petrifying Panda said:

My earliest memory of a Sonic that was straight up unable to swim in an media is probably Underground.

Ha, of all the shows to actually get that right, leave it to the one that least resembles the games. More broadly, the OVA - which came out a little earlier - claimed Sonic and Tails couldn't swim; and considering Knuckles was there and this was well after Sonic 3, there wasn't any excuse for that.

From the same calendar, here's Sonic, Tails, and Eggman in a pretty normal-looking city. Star Light Zone, maybe?

Sonic_1993_Calendar_-_September_October.

Something's up with that sewer.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:36 PM, Dr. Mechano said:

If we're talking bad DVD art, I've got this AoStH example here, which uses the wrong Robotnik on its box:

843501000625.jpg

It looks like it says: ADVENTURES OF SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ROBOTNIH STRIHES BACH

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

I feel like almost all of these are going to end up being of Americanized classic Sonic, which is borderline unofficial IMO since Sonic team had no part in making them.

1 hour ago, Mark_The_Dephiles said:

I feel like almost all of these are going to end up being of Americanized classic Sonic, which is borderline unofficial IMO since Sonic team had no part in making them.

As long as it was used to promote an official, Sega-endorsed product, it’s official.

Ok, I HAD to bring this one up...

spacer.png

You know, why did they make Sonic & Knuckles instead of Sonic & Garfield!? It would have sold more than Sonic & Knuckles did!

Seriously though, Sonic standing next to Garfield with a CG monkey beneath them is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2019 at 6:12 PM, Nintenboi said:

Ok, I HAD to bring this one up...

spacer.png

You know, why did they make Sonic & Knuckles instead of Sonic & Garfield!? It would have sold more than Sonic & Knuckles did!

Seriously though, Sonic standing next to Garfield with a CG monkey beneath them is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

Huh. Not that odd a duo, now that I think about it. What sorta Garfield game was that?

Also, 

image.jpeg.c65a88623c3da787cff1c9dd5a909a5a.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Nintenboi said:

Here's some bad Archie art

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

No comments, just thought I should bring them up.

I love how buzzsaw Sonic is the most on model.

Woo, that's rough.

Even more bad Archie art.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The mention of the name Barney by a bunch of pink and purple reptiles makes me think of Barney the dinosaur.

Also Barney not hurting anyone ever is such a lie.

15 minutes ago, Nintenboi said:

Even more bad Archie art.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The mention of the name Barney by a bunch of pink and purple reptiles makes me think of Barney the dinosaur.

Also Barney not hurting anyone ever is such a lie.

Honestly, the Knuckles comic stuff tended to look pretty good through much of the first 2/3 and even the later backups.

What I don't get is how pencils like the first screenshot got through. 

33 minutes ago, Nintenboi said:

spacer.png

The pools awesomeness was so great that it temporarily turned his eyes back to black.

(this panel’s from the Adventure arc)

• 1 month later...

Well, Tis the Season I guess to present to you this 2009 Sega Christmas Card

sega-christmas-card.jpg

Ignoring the distracting Xenomorph (and suppressing the memories of the dud that was Colonial Marines), Sonic's mouth looks pretty awkward along with the crease on his forehead.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's some Greg Martin Sonic art:

spacer.png

One of the things that keeps Greg Martin Sonic from looking horrible is the amount of detail on him.

But when you simplify it to THIS level he looks bad.

Not only that but the simplified style makes the drawing look unfinished!