Awoo.

Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System (September 29, $80, 21 games, Star Fox 2)

Marcello

fWJ6uep.jpg

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Nintendo’s follow-up console to the legendary Nintendo Entertainment System, launched in 1991 and introduced what many consider some of the greatest video games of all time – classics such as Super Mario World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, Super Metroid and F-ZERO.

“While many people from around the world consider the Super NES to be one of the greatest video game systems ever made, many of our younger fans never had a chance to play it”

On Sept. 29, this beloved console is coming back to stores in the form of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition. The mini system, which contains 21 pre-installed classic games and can easily be plugged into any high-definition TV using the included HDMI cable, will be available at a suggested retail price of $79.99. And for the first time, players who pick up the system can enjoy the intergalactic adventure Star Fox 2, the sequel to the original Star Fox game that was created during the Super NES era but never released … anywhere!

“While many people from around the world consider the Super NES to be one of the greatest video game systems ever made, many of our younger fans never had a chance to play it,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “With the Super NES Classic Edition, new fans will be introduced to some of the best Nintendo games of all time, while longtime fans can relive some of their favorite retro classics with family and friends.”

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition has the same look and feel of the original system – only smaller – and comes pre-loaded with 21 incredible games:

• Contra III: The Alien Wars™
  • Donkey Kong Country™
  • EarthBound™
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO™
  • Kirby™ Super Star
  • Kirby’s Dream Course™
  • The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
  • Mega Man® X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox™
  • Star Fox™ 2
  • Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV™
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
  • Super Mario Kart™
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™
  • Super Mario World™
  • Super Metroid™
  • Super Punch-Out!! ™
  • Yoshi’s Island™

All of these games would be considered classics by anyone’s standards, and some of them in particular – Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy III, EarthBound and Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars – are massive role-playing games that can take dozens of hours to complete. Even for super fans who have played all of these games multiple times, the inclusion of the never-before-released Star Fox 2 game will offer them something entirely new to enjoy – if they can unlock it by proving their skills in the original Star Fox game. (Well, they only have to complete the first level – we didn’t want to make it too hard!)

Included with the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition are one HDMI cable, one USB charging cable with AC adapter and two wired Super NES Classic Controllers, perfect for playing multiplayer games. Having two controllers will make it easy for two players to dive into multiplayer action right away. Some of the games with multiplayer options include Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting, Super Mario Kart, Contra III: The Alien Wars and Secret of Mana.

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition launches on Sept. 29 at a suggested retail price of $79.99.

US Box:

Spoiler

o1EWgMM.jpg

European Box:

Spoiler

tQFBLcW.jpg

Good news for Europe!

Please note: all games included in the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System are the original US 60 Hz releases.

Not so good news for Europe!

Please note: an AC adapter for the USB cable is required to play the system but is not included in the packaging.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System/Nintendo-Classic-Mini-Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-1238330.html

• Thumbs Up 2

I figured that they would be announcing this sometime soon considering the success of the NES Classic Edition.

SNES is my personal favorite Nintendo console, so I would love to have this, especially with Star Fox 2 on there. I'm pretty disappointed that my favorite SNES game, Donkey Kong Country 2, isn't on the list, but ah well.

My main concern is availability. I really hope that Nintendo makes enough of these so that it won't be perpetually sold out until discontinuation, because as much as I would like one of these, there's no way in hell that I'm going to be camping out in front of stores for it.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, mikeblastdude said:

I figured that they would be announcing this sometime soon considering the success of the NES Classic Edition.

SNES is my personal favorite Nintendo console, so I would love to have this, especially with Star Fox 2 on there. I'm pretty disappointed that my favorite SNES game, Donkey Kong Country 2, isn't on the list, but ah well.

My main concern is availability. I really hope that Nintendo makes enough of these so that it won't be perpetually sold out until discontinuation, because as much as I would like one of these, there's no way in hell that I'm going to be camping out in front of stores for it.

This is basically how I feel. DKC 2 not being on there is disappointing. It just feels like a strange omission.

On another note, where do the controllers plug in??? In the back? That just pointlessly shortens the length for the player.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

This is basically how I feel. DKC 2 not being on there is disappointing. It just feels like a strange omission.

On another note, where do the controllers plug in??? In the back? That just pointlessly shortens the length for the player.

Looks like the fake ports are on a single flap that's pushback plug in the controller 

2 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Looks like the fake ports are on a single flap that's pushback plug in the controller 

It looks like that in the PAL one, but the American controller ports don't seem to be removable:
s2OIRwV.jpg

Though there seems to be an indent next to the hand's pinky, so I guess there?

Get ready for scalpers. Anyone naive enough to think Nintendo will make a lot of these is well naive

13 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

So, technically, Star Fox 2 will be released to the public for the first time after all this years.
You know what this means?

This collection has yet one more "console" exclusive than the X Box One X.
I can't stop keking.

Why would the XBO X have an exclusive game? It's the same thing as the PS4 Pro,

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Actually the x is way more powerful than the pro. Just saying spec wise

I know, but I'm saying it's not a new generation of a console.

On one hand, it's very exciting to see Star Fox 2 finally, finally seeing an official release.

On the other hand...Meta77 is most likely right right; I'll be amazed if Nintendo learns from their mistakes from last time. You don't just discontinue a device that clearly still had demand.

So honestly, I can't say for sure if I'll even be able to get a hold of one. I want to say Nintendo will learn here, but knowing them, they might still say "we're right, so we won't make more!"

• Thumbs Up 3

They announced they will greatly be increasing the production. Also the full version of that starfox art H2x1_SNES_Starfox2_image800w.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

27 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Why would the XBO X have an exclusive game? It's the same thing as the PS4 Pro,

But unlike with Sony and the Pro, Microfrost kept saying "We're having exclusives for it" and then showed everything being either multiplatform or at least on PC.
Wich combines with the precedent of Microsoft having barely any title as exclusive for a console with the X Box One name on it.

• Thumbs Up 2

...Sucks that the PAL version doesn't come with the AC adapter, though. I'm assuming it'll likely use something similar to the DSi/3DS charger?

5 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

But unlike with Sony and the Pro, Microfrost kept saying "We're having exclusives for it" and then showed everything being either multiplatform or at least on PC.
Wich combines with the precedent of Microsoft having barely any title as exclusive for a console with the X Box One name on it.

They never said the X had exclusives, they said the XBO did.

Shame it's missing the two-thirds of the DK Country trilogy, particularly the best third, but overall a super solid package. I look forward to not being able to get one.

The list of games is great as well, just preordered mine from Amazon. Not going to miss this like I missed the NES mini

With DKC2 on there it would've been a must-buy. Now I'm interested, but I'm not desperate to get it. There's still a ton of great additions, but honestly, why is DKC2 missing? Its not like it was the best selling standalone title on the system--oh, wait, it was. Yet we got two Kirby games, when SNES really wasn't all that known for Kirby.

I mean, in general, 21 games is a little low.

I guess its not a HUGE deal. I already have like half these games on Wii U anyway, including every single DKC platformer available for it and DK64 plus the Paon games. But DKC made the SNES for me back in the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Certainly more interesting games for me than the NES Classic had, so I'll probably be pre-ordering soon. It really depends though.

I can't just keep buying everything I want, after all.

59 minutes ago, SurrealBrain said:

On one hand, it's very exciting to see Star Fox 2 finally, finally seeing an official release.

On the other hand...Meta77 is most likely right right; I'll be amazed if Nintendo learns from their mistakes from last time. You don't just discontinue a device that clearly still had demand.

So honestly, I can't say for sure if I'll even be able to get a hold of one. I want to say Nintendo will learn here, but knowing them, they might still say "we're right, so we won't make more!"

I honestly don't think it's a mistake. Nintendo knows there's demand. They shorthand to cause hype. Luke the nes and the switch

UK sites already made it available to pre-order, so Amazon UK, Smyth Toys and Game had them to reserve. 

Note the "had" there. 

>We could play the original versions of Yoshi's Island, Mario RPG and DKC on a pseudo-portable version of the SNES

728705.png

>We could play an official version of Star Fox 2 on a pseudo-portable version of the SNES

i2Ydqoz.png

>w e   c o u l d   h a c k   b u b s y   o n t o   a   p s e u d o - p o r t a b l e   v e r s i o n   o f   t h e   s n e s

lhxhAaH.png

• Thumbs Up 3

Hopefully this will have good sound emulation unlike the million Megadrive/Genesis remake consoles.

• Thumbs Up 1