Awoo.

how do you think sonic's movement controls in the 3d games should be

GucciBurr

in sa1 i feel sonic controlled poorly. too jittery and twitchy, especially when he's at full regular running speed. and in the platforming sections it felt like something was pulling you forward when jumping.

i think sonic controlled best in sa2 as far as 3d games go. still he was too jittery and twitchy

he controlled a lot worse in heroes; way too slippery.

not only was he too slow in sonic 2006 but he was too jittery and twitchy. fe

unleashed, colors and generations have similar control for sonic, and he feels very awkward in the 3d platforming sections. like a tank; it feels like he'll easily run off the platform to his death. he can't even run in a circle. clearly sonic's 3d controls in the boost are made for just running forward

never played lost world, but i do like the idea of slowing sonic down and using a shoulder button to bring him to full running speed. i think they slowed him down too much though.

I don't think Utopia has amazing controls, compared to other Sonic games. The problem is speed in a 3D environment. You can only make a racing game wth that premise. And that's what modern Sonic is, essentially. A racing game with a hedgehog instead of a car, asking the player to press a certain button in a certain moment, not allowing the player to enjoy the beautiful environments Sonic Team makes. Not fun to me.

Personally, I think it's difficult to make a good 3D Sonic game. Mario had it easier, as speed was never one of the character's key points. 

I'd stick Sonic to 2.5D games like DKC Returns. That's a setting in which great Sonic games could be developed.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

This.

he looks hard to control there. doesn't seem he can even run in a proper circle

if sonic only controlled like that when you're holding onto a trigger a la lost world and his regular, default speed was considerably slower so it'd be easy to control, i'd be fine with it

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

Sonic Utopia controls like a dream.

can he run in a circle

Utopia's controls aren't perfect, but they're about as good as 3D Sonic controls have ever been, and combined with its mechanics it's the best example of how 3D Sonic should play thus far. Throw some more polish at it and put it in a more focused level and it'll be something genuinely great, far above what Sonic Team's managed with the series. 

• Thumbs Up 9

I just think he should start by being controllable (as in not automatic).And it should be momentum-based. It should be as in Sonic Utopia. And homing attack should require timing (and feature no audiovisual cues like the targets that appears nowadays). Maybe you should need to press a direction to do homing attack and when you don't the attack goes in the direction Sonic is facing. And when you press a direction and jump in the middle of a jump, the homing attack goes in that direction, so you can aim the attack. So if there's an enemy at the right and one at the left, you can choose which to attack (and even be led to alternate paths). It'd also require more reflexes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Utopia's nice and all, but I'm not convinced that it's the right starting point for a real, level-based platformer in its current state. Rolling around and launching yourself off of ramps is undeniably fun, and I think 3D Sonic should try and adapt that aspect of the classic games, but Sonic feels too loose to do actual, accurate platforming, and I've got questions about how the level design is going to proceed from here. What are the main challenges going to be? How can enemies be made legitimately threatening? Will there be bottomless pits? 

Making a fun proof-of-concept is one thing, but leaving that stage behind and making a compelling game is another. I'm not trying to sound down on Utopia, because I do like it, but it feels a little early to put it on a pedestal. 

19 hours ago, Solly said:

How can enemies be made legitimately threatening?

Sa_gola.png

These enemies are the right type of challening. You can only homing attack them when the fire is away from them. It requires timing. That's where challenge comes from when enemies are concerned: timing.

• Thumbs Up 4