Awoo.

CyberShell: Sonic Mania Is The REAL Sonic 4

Zippo

ok, i meant to say i want all brand new areas. locations we haven't seen before. is that better?

3 minutes ago, GucciBurr said:

still a remake.

The former contains level design encountered in past Sonic games, the latter doesn't. How is it a remake?

3 minutes ago, GucciBurr said:

subjective.

i want entirely new levels, not remakes.

Then this discussion wouldn't matter if we could argue that it's subjective.

2 minutes ago, GucciBurr said:

how is it wrong tho

Your moaning about the levels not being new. Despite the fact they're completely different aside from name.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Indigo Rush said:

Wouldn't be able to tell from this video. Mania definitely demolishes Sonic 4 in every way imaginable, but this video is just mean-spirited and juvenile.

This. There's nothing inherently funny about the "humor" here. Bashing Dimps, "play on the computer like a grownup" (since when the hell do we associate playing games on a phone with just children?), portraying Sega as an evil entity, and ableist slurs and stereotypes make the video nothing short of infuriating. It continues to enforce the awful stereotypes aimed at Classic Sonic fans.

His video is horrible and doesn't deserve a lick of praise.

• Thumbs Up 3

THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS TREAD! Oh...BOY do I have a lot to say......

Okay...so I just read this entire thread, and I know you guys have teard CyberChell's video apart and then some...but as someone who's been subscribed to him for a while AND figured out where the source of inspiration comes from in this video...I'm sorry to say that I'm going to need to go in deeper. There is something wrong with this video in specific that I feel needs to be addressed...I've been wanting to say this for a while but I didn't have a way to as it would be rude as heck to say any of this to his face, but here it goes...

This entire video can be summed up as "forced anger" and I can prove that is the case. Even worse is that its very clearly ripping off of Endless Jess, a youtuber I've been following for an even longer time...I can attest to this even further by the fact that he's been commenting on his newest videos quite regularly in a very fanboyish manner.

I don't even know why I watched the whole video, I should have just stopped at 2 mins in like @Blue Blood did but alas I didn't, I kept going. To describe this guy as "edgy" is a compliment because that's what he wants you to call him. As I was watching the video I was already getting quite an "Endless Jess" vibe but it only got worse as the video went on...

Specifically everything starts to click right at 7:05 in the video, he tries to cover up his anger by saying its "genuine autistic rage"...not only is "autistic" thrown around by Jess himself, but he will often go on tangents that barely have anything to do with the video just for the heck of it, only to end with "okay where was I"...what does CyberChell do? The exact same thing, talking about how Sonic 3 didn't get ported over to Steam for like 4 whole minutes...only to finally get back on topic, except CyberChell insteads decides to ironically call himself autistic in order to fit into the Sonic Fan stereotype...

And finally...the entirety of his "Fuck you Sega" ramble is straightly ripped off from Endless Jess...not word for word thankfully but its VERY close, he even says "I just wanna keep saying it over and over Fuck you Sega!" Here...just listen for yourself:

(skip to 38:46 if link isn't working correctly)

Now...obviously Cyberchell doesn't say he doesn't want to end the video because his rant isn't at the end...but its still the same basic message.

This isn't the worst I've seen of this, I've seen straight plagerism in the past. My main issue is, in comparison to this video (or any of Jess's other videos) the anger doesn't sound genuine, it sounds forced and isn't creatively inspired...like good gosh what even is the point of this video?! It could have worked sure, but he clearly didn't put in the effort or give enough detail to justify the videos existence. He either should have went into more detail OR if he insisted on painting the situation in such a black and white manner...he SHOULD have done it in a more creative way instead of being lazy about it.

This video is offensive at worst and pointless at best.

Really though, I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually made in homage to Jess...the problem is that it isn't a really good one. Jess himself stresses how out of his way he goes to make his videos as unique as possible, even if they end up being crappy as a result. It's a shame that lesson went over CyberChell's head because with a bit more work I think he could have nailed a good parody...but nope! :/

I'm not sure if he's trying to be intentionally ironic about the Sonic 4 hate or if he really is that hateful against Sonic 4. 

5 hours ago, King of SSMB, King Dedede! said:

I'm not sure if he's trying to be intentionally ironic about the Sonic 4 hate or if he really is that hateful against Sonic 4. 

From what I know, he really does hate Sonic 4. That part is pretty obvious. 

Also, AVGN has calmed down his act a bit over the past couple of years, but he's still averaging millions of views every new episode. It's mindless entertainment, but the "angry reviewer" thing still has somewhat of a following from what I can gather. 

It seems like everybody wants to be loud, profane and obnoxious on YouTube these days. The added shock value of saying that something makes you want to drink bleach, or shoot yourself or whatever doesn't really work unless the product is really, really, really bad. Sonic 4 had issues and was certainly far from the best game in the series, but it was definitely more mediocre than it was offensively awful. And even then, it's been done to death by this point. I just picture somebody who really wants to be the AVGN when I see videos like this, despite the AVGN himself having toned down the character quite a bit in recent years in comparison to what it was towards the beginning. 

But yeah, this was super forced. No real critique to go with all the complaining, just a lot of swearing and memeing, etc. Didn't last more than 2-3 minutes.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 minutes ago, Cyalume said:

It seems like everybody wants to be loud, profane and obnoxious on YouTube these days.

These days? This kind of content has been going on for 10+ years now. This is nothing new. Also. "Everyone" is a pretty huge generalization of YouTube's user base. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Zippo said:

These days? This kind of content has been going on for 10+ years now. This is nothing new. Also. "Everyone" is a pretty huge generalization of YouTube's user base. 

*shrug* I just meant that I see a lot of it, especially with the gaming-oriented Youtubers. It's not a personal attack on all of YouTube or anything. Oh well.

4 minutes ago, Cyalume said:

*shrug* I just meant that I see a lot of it, especially with the gaming-oriented Youtubers. It's not a personal attack on all of YouTube or anything. Oh well.

I understand that sentiment, then. No worries, man. 

Wow, this guy exceeded the vulgarity threshold I'm willing to tolerate in a gaming video which is ironic considering I watch the AVGN, but at least James does it for comedy; this is just out of spite.

I'm all for Mania receiving all the praise it rightfully deserves, but that doesn't mean we need use it as an excuse to go back and shit on Sonic 4 for the hundredth time. The game was just a cheap cash-in that Sega thought they could score extra moolah with if they slapped a 4 in the name. And sure it worked, but all it really proves is we hold to much stock in names. A game doesn't have to follow its predecessors in a sequential naming convention in order to play like them as Sonic Advance proved and obviously it isn't some guarantee of excellence.

Honestly, who really cares if Sonic Mania is the real Sonic 4? All I need it to be is a good Sonic game and it certainly fulfills that role. Sonic 4 came out seven years ago; it's time to move on. Let it fade into obscurity where it belongs alongside all the other mediocre games this franchise has produced.

I thought Sonic fans liked this guy, guess not. 

Video still blows though 

24 minutes ago, Soniman said:

I thought Sonic fans liked this guy, guess not. 

Video still blows though 

He's got a divisive reception, going to the places I've visited. People like his more informative, less vulgar videos. Like his Sonic comic retrospective, that one's pretty good because he actually explains his history with the comics, summarizes some of the oldest comics, and does a full, very well done summary of the End Game arc, and explains the Ken Penders situation in detail. He even defends the furry fandom in that one, if i recall. 

I feel like the whole video was forced. 1/4 the video is him complaining about the mobile ports and almost half the video is him not talking about mania and 4. Not to mention the constant overswearing and calling SEGA retarded for not releasing 3 as a remake. Just.... What?

This guy sounds like a watered down version of Mariotehplumber. almost reminds me of the not so good old days.

I remember watching this guy's classic Sonic playthroughs several years ago. I remember them being well edited with cool intros and enjoying the commentary. So +1 to the guy for his older videos, -1 for the constant "fuck those Dimps fucky fucktard poopheads" in his Mania vid.

I will never be able to understand the appeal of these kind of videos. Every single time I hear someone scream in a video, or swear that much (not even genuinely), or make "autistic" jokes I just mute it or close it altogether. There's way better content that deserves my time on Youtube.

It comes off as fake, "edgy" and childish and I can't stand that type of content. Honestly, I wouldn't have posted this video here either, if something doesn't deserve recognition you should just ignore it and not share it with anyone.

Anyway I don't need to say bad things about Sonic 4 to enjoy Mania. Just enjoy the fact that for once in a very very long time, Sonic's going to have an awesome game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, these fake angry videos are just unnecessary noise. It's like those reaction videos. Total waste of time for fake emotions. Sign of times maybe.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sometimes I wonder if anyone read my post earlier, to put it bluntly I have no issue's with dark humor...heck I REALLY like it actually! (if anything I tend to stay away from fanboyish types of videos instead.)

The problem here is that this video is NOT genuine, its not creative either and has no purpose and as a result of that laziness is NOT funny. I have nothing against the style...its the execution that feels insulting especially when you have knowledge that it was partially ripped off of someone who is much better at this kind of thing! :/

17 hours ago, molul said:

Yes, these fake angry videos are just unnecessary noise. It's like those reaction videos. Total waste of time for fake emotions. Sign of times maybe.

I really don't understand these types of posts. Reaction videos exist because people love to see high energy, excitement, and joy when games are announced or when movie trailers premiere.  There's nothing "fake" about it.  If that's not your thing, that's perfectly fine, but don't diss or grief people who enjoy that sort of content. No one is forcing you to watch those kinds of videos. 

Same thing with "angry" or "loud" gaming videos. Let people enjoy what they want. It's mindless entertainment that isn't harming anyone. 

Well, that's your opinion, as mine is that they are just garbage. By "fake" I mean they're artificial and overreacted, like many other contents in youtube. 

The only thing to understand from my post is that there's people that find those videos ridiculous. 

It's fine if you like them, but don't diss people who find them annoying an unnecessary. Everyone has their opinion and might not suit yours, but it's fine. You can say you like them, as well as I can say I don't, right? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, molul said:

Well, that's your opinion, as mine is that they are just garbage. By "fake" I mean they're artificial and overreacted, like many other contents in youtube. 

And I just don't see it that way. I respectfully disagree and that's fine. My point is that no one has any right to police or to judge anyone else for the content they enjoy. That goes for all mediums. That was our only point of contention.  Otherwise, I agree. To each their own.