Awoo.

what do you think is the ideal musical direction for the series to take

GucciBurr

i don't like the butt rock that the series has had since sa1. fun to listen to, but it sounds very generic and samey. a lot of people seem to think the series always has good music, but nah i disagree. unsurprisingly, i find the non-rock songs usually to be the best in the soundtracks

speaking of rock, did jun senoue stop doing the music for the games? seems like tomoya ohtani mainly does the music now; i think that's for the better. i do prefer ohtani's rock than senoue's

i prefer funkier dance-ish music. i really like the musical direction in sonic cd and sonic rush; really gave the music a distinct vibe with all the samples and catchiness without coming off as too campy. whereas games like secret rings had distinct sounding music thanks to the vocals but it was too corny lol.

what do you think fam

Dude, we haven't had a purely butt-rock soundtrack since Unleashed.

Anyway, I'm down with either. Sonic rock has consistently been the only rock I go back to listen to, and I prefer electronic music anyway.

4 minutes ago, Dizcrybe said:

Dude, we haven't had a purely butt-rock soundtrack since Unleashed.

black knight was pretty butt rock

but yeah it's true the rock has cut down in subsequent games. still want dancier soundtracks again tho

I'd be TOTALLY fine with a style like this! Seriously, I'd love a Hyper Potions soundtrack. Aaron plz

8 hours ago, GucciBurr said:

i prefer funkier dance-ish music. i really like the musical direction in sonic cd and sonic rush; really gave the music a distinct vibe with all the samples and catchiness without coming off as too campy. whereas games like secret rings had distinct sounding music thanks to the vocals but it was too corny lol.

what do you think fam

I actually really agree with this. I think the series should go back to that funky vibe it used to have. It fit better than pretty much any other style of music they embraced after. 

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Brutal heavy metal.

I'd love that. :3 but it wouldnt fit..unless they do a shadow the hedgehog 2..dear god.

I like the style mania is going for, guess it captures the feeling of the classics really well, I also love the 90's vibe.

For the "modern" games, I'd go with unleashed style music. it was the most beautiful sonic soundtrack in the last 10 years, hands down.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Brutal heavy metal.

This would work well for Green Hill Zone I think 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Something like what we got in unleashed, or adventure (1 & 2), different musical styles fits with the different settings/places in which sonic's adventures happen, take this song for example:

It doesn't fit a green hill-esque atmosphere, but it works 100% in an eggman base one. I'm a big fan of Jun Senoue's works on the franchise (and anything else he does in reality) but i also enjoy the direction it went with Ohtani in charge, both made songs of different musical styles that suited their levels, and this is the "Ideal Musical Direction" for me, give me a jazz, hard rock, orchestral, blues, everything, each one at the right time, fitting with what's happening in my screen.

(Also on an not so unrelated note --> #newCrush40maintheme)

• 1 month later...

One thing I wish the series would try would try to mix in atmosphere with their music. 

Like when sonic is still, the music is calm and steady, when he runs, it's fast paced. When he flies over a scenic landscape, a small mix of orchestra is added to the music to give off a "the world is awesome" feel.

It d also be cool if they took a page out of mgs revengeace book and added lyrics near the end of a certain levels theme.

• Thumbs Up 1

IDK, the music isn't really that important to me. I usually just like listening to the theme songs and the boss battles usually have good music. I don't know. As long as they don't get too grating, it'll be fine.

As long as we don't go full on Mario Sunshine like Lost World ever again I really don't care what music is in the games, so long as it's something that clearly and without question sounds SONIC above all else.

And don't do most of whatever the hell it is that Forces is doing, don't do any of that ever again either, it brings back too many Sonic 4 nightmares.