Awoo.

Interactions between Sonic characters who never met

Klinsy

I got a good interaction we haven't seen yet - Tikal and Sticks

Both grew up in the wild and both have wildly (no pun intended) contrasting methods of dealing with situations. Tikal is a kind-hearted pacifist who wants nothing to do with using her hands for fighting while Sticks, on the other hand has a barrage of weaponry crafted by one's self I.E a boomerang, mace, bó staff and nunchucks. Tikal could give advice, and Sticks could teach, or maybe even defend Tikal from danger.

Honestly, the fact that the Chaotix used to have barely any interactions with the other characters, especially Sonic, and still were able to contribute to the plot in important ways (and in Shadow the Hedgehog's case, literally having Charmy bring up the video that saved the world) to be one of the few brilliant things about the writing of the early 2000s games. Intentional or not, I like the idea of them just being characters doing their own thing that help out in the background without needing to be all buddy buddy with the main group. 

But you know, then the 2010s happened and suddenly everyone knows each other and they're all friends and huddled together because it's easier than writing them as individuals. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

But you know, then the 2010s happened and suddenly everyone knows each other and they're all friends and huddled together because it's easier than writing them as individuals. 

Isn't the only real example of that Generations? They weren't in Lost World, Colors DS had them check on the amusement park for their own reasons, and TSR had Vector get hired to investigate Dodon Pa and drag Silver and Blaze along.

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

Isn't the only real example of that Generations? They weren't in Lost World, Colors DS had them check on the amusement park for their own reasons, and TSR had Vector get hired to investigate Dodon Pa and drag Silver and Blaze along.

All of those are examples of them (or just Vector) interacting with the heroes directly. I'm not sure what you mean. Like, you literally just mentioned that he dragged Silver and Blaze along in TSR and he was there interacting directly with all the other heroes in that game in the cutscenes. Plus, Sonic Forces where everyone was super-glued together yet again, which for some reason, you didn't mention.

All of those are examples of them (or just Vector) interacting with the heroes directly. I'm not sure what you mean. Like, you literally just mentioned that he dragged Silver and Blaze along in TSR and he was there interacting directly with all the other heroes in that game in the cutscenes. Plus, Sonic Forces where everyone was super-glued together yet again, which for some reason, you didn't mention.

I thought you meant interacting with the whole cast, which they didn't especially do. If you meant just Sonic, I see what you mean, that's on me.

1 hour ago, thumbs13 said:

I thought you meant interacting with the whole cast, which they didn't especially do. If you meant just Sonic, I see what you mean, that's on me.

Okay, so the literal number of times this happened isn't really the point. Like, in the 2000s, the only appearances by the Chaotix that mattered (or even really happened) was in Heroes and Shadow. That's like two games. In the 2010s, the most high profile games they appeared in was Generations and Forces, where they were indeed just huddled together with the rest of the cast. The 2010s didn't put out a ton of games like the 2000s where one was coming out every week. 

If you want to include that one mission in Colors DS than I can count that as an exception. TSR was... a neat little thing at the very tail end of the decade where Vector, despite still being hired by Tails and huddled with all the others trying to solve the same goal amongst them, did it in a more detective-ish way than he usually does so... I guess props for that. I did rather like his portrayal there.

It's not like I'm opposed to them interacting with the others. I just really enjoyed what they were like before. In Season 3 of Sonic X, they were on their own ships and appeared sparingly as a special treat in assorted episodes. They weren't apart of the main ship with Tails because that's who they were. Three guys doing their own thing.

Okay, so the literal number of times this happened isn't really the point. Like, in the 2000s, the only appearances by the Chaotix that mattered (or even really happened) was in Heroes and Shadow. That's like two games. In the 2010s, the most high profile games they appeared in was Generations and Forces, where they were indeed just huddled together with the rest of the cast. The 2010s didn't put out a ton of games like the 2000s where one was coming out every week. 

If you want to include that one mission in Colors DS than I can count that as an exception. TSR was... a neat little thing at the very tail end of the decade where Vector, despite still being hired by Tails and huddled with all the others trying to solve the same goal amongst them, did it in a more detective-ish way than he usually does so... I guess props for that. I did rather like his portrayal there.

It's not like I'm opposed to them interacting with the others. I just really enjoyed what they were like before. In Season 3 of Sonic X, they were on their own ships and appeared sparingly as a special treat in assorted episodes. They weren't apart of the main ship with Tails because that's who they were. Three guys doing their own thing.

Basically, they had autonomy without being tied to Sonic's inner circle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails_and_Rouge.png.c1ea074586018f76d764ad714079be46.png

So you got a vain and somewhat selfish thief with a soft side and a socially awkward nerd with tons of insecurities, there's so much you can do with this. Tails` interactions are mostly limited to Sonic, and we already know their dynamic, so it'd be nice to put Tails out of his comfort zone and have him interact with someone who, on the surface, shouldn't be trusted. Add to the fact that he's probably terrible at interacting with people that aren't Sonic.

Rouge, being the good-natured girl that she is, would simply try to get him out of his shell. This being Rouge however, she will tease the ever loving hell out of him about it, but in a lighthearted and friendly way. Rouge is shady, but she's also surprisingly good at helping people with their emotional problems when she opens up, and maybe she wants to improve her image somewhat by being a role model to the boy.  Also, she can be one of few people who can somewhat keep up with his technobabble, which opens up another venue for a connection.

Also, being a flyer herself, she can also mentor the kid in some new flying techniques that Sonic could never teach him.

Rouge and Vector. They've only really interacted once in the games (Sonic Heroes), and even then as part of their respective teams. Plus they tried to throw each other off a skyscraper. 

I can see this working as a "private eye meets sultry female fatale" scenario, updated for the games.

1 minute ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Rouge and Vector. They've only really interacted once in the games (Sonic Heroes), and even then as part of their respective teams. Plus they tried to throw each other off a skyscraper. 

I can see this working as a "private eye meets sultry female fatale" scenario, updated for the games.

I've always felt that Rouge and Vector had a lot in common, but in a somewhat hard to describe way. I remember many, many years ago I put it this way "They're the only Sonic characters I can picture actually getting laid once in a while". And you know what, I stand by that. 🤣

I also saw Rouge and Nack in a jailbreak scenario. This would be a good lead in for how Rouge started working for GUN, as Nack double-crossed her, and left her to deal with the authorities once they'd escaped.

There are several possibilities I can think of, but the one I'm interested the most is Cream and Tikal.

They are very similar characters personality-wise, both very calm and kind, both pacifists who hate violence, and both love chao. Tikal was alive during the ancient times and lived in a completely different cultural context, as well as the fact that she's a spirit and not alive anymore.

I would like a story where the two meet and find out how similar they are, then Tikal talks Cream about something important that she was unable to do in life because of the war and stuff (possibly regarding chao) and Cream decides to take the responsability to do it for her, despite the risks and all (whatever it is). Tikal would act as a spiritual (pun intended) guide and tell her about secrets, mysteries and ancient knownledge, at the same time as being concerned about the rabbit's safe and occasionally trying to convince her to stop because whatever they'er doing is too dangerous for her.

On 11/23/2017 at 7:54 PM, DabigRG said:

Knuckles and Cream is an odd combo that's technically been on the tables a number of times, but I don't think much was ever really done with it.

Same, that's another interaction that would be fun to see, though I'd be OK if it's full of gags, I can't see them going well together... they would definitely annoy each other, but would probably forget about everything and be united again when the situation becomes difficult.

In fact, along with what I said before about Tikal, I would like Knuckles, Cream and Gemerl being a team for a game.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:30 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I have no clue why but for some reason I keep wanting to see Blaze and Charmy in a scene together.

That too... Blaze has been with kid characters before, hyperactive kid too with Marine, the interactions with Charmy would not be much different... but Charmy being a detective might bring an interesting plot to the table.

Cream, Tikal, Sticks would be really fun... Tikal and Sticks are like the "angel & devil" on Cream's shoulders.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is based on a character with very limited characterization. And specifically based on the archie interpretation. But I think mighty wouldn't be too fond of shadow. I feel like everything how he carries himself and seemingly continues to succeed would kind of irk him.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:14 AM, E-122-Psi said:

I find it a shame neither Sonic or Knuckles have really interacted with the Chaotix in the modern games.

Knuckles is pretty self explanatory, they have a history together (retconned or not, the series has still made some nods to that game).

Sonic however takes my interest because of how other medias handle this, especially Vector. I LOVE how both Sonic X and Boom give the two this rivalry of sorts, though with both shows placing a different character in the insecure underdog role, X for Vector's resentment of Sonic's popularity and bravado, and Boom for Sonic's resentment of Vector taking the limelight away from his more earnest, non-profit focused heroics. I'd love if the games took an even ground with this, an profitless but still kinda egocentric hero against an ambitious guy whose trying to make an honest buck.

Yeah, that is an interesting footnote of those shows considering they didn't even interact in Heroes or many other games that I can think of.

Could also be a reference to the Band concept.

I think it's that, while Cream has actually interacted with Knuckles at times, they've either been kind of generic, or it's mostly just been gags, often out of character ones where Cream is randomly mean or passive aggressive to play off of Knuckles' no-respect-guy role (eg. X or Rush), and obviously they can't do those too often otherwise it would destroy Cream's defining kind personality. They don't really have meaningful two way interactions that expand on their personalities, largely being the two guys that never hang in the Advance group..

Yeah, Knuckles generally didn't get much interaction with anyone who wouldn't either try his patience or take advantage of him, so Cream and arguably Tails were generally out in longer interactions. I do kinda wonder if his vaguely noble side as well as maybe his very slight awkwardness when it comes to girls could manifest in a different way when it comes to her compared to how he sees the other female characters with varying understandability.

On an off note, it does make these two bits peculiar

222-2226790_sonic-advance-sonic-advance-3-knuckles-and-cream.pnghqdefault.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing a character who could actually test Cream's passive streak, but I want it to be actual story focused, not self contained character-breaking gags that are never important. Like imagine an inconsiderate character like Charmy slowly winding down on her patience.

Actually the Boom version of Knuckles might fit in this regard, since I could see a good contrast of pity and frustration at how blundering he is.

True.

Though if we're talking about passive in terms of conflict, Sticks could also work.

On 4/30/2020 at 8:25 AM, Iko said:

There are several possibilities I can think of, but the one I'm interested the most is Cream and Tikal.

They are very similar characters personality-wise, both very calm and kind, both pacifists who hate violence, and both love chao. Tikal was alive during the ancient times and lived in a completely different cultural context, as well as the fact that she's a spirit and not alive anymore.

I would like a story where the two meet and find out how similar they are, then Tikal talks Cream about something important that she was unable to do in life because of the war and stuff (possibly regarding chao) and Cream decides to take the responsability to do it for her, despite the risks and all (whatever it is). Tikal would act as a spiritual (pun intended) guide and tell her about secrets, mysteries and ancient knownledge, at the same time as being concerned about the rabbit's safe and occasionally trying to convince her to stop because whatever they'er doing is too dangerous for her.

That sounds like something the comics' backups or I guess now annual would do and it honestly just makes me realize that the New252 totally could have.

Same, that's another interaction that would be fun to see, though I'd be OK if it's full of gags, I can't see them going well together... they would definitely annoy each other, but would probably forget about everything and be united again when the situation becomes difficult.

Hm...possibly?

They do technically have different temperaments, lifestyles, and backgrounds on some level.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Moose the Cat said:

Cream, Tikal, Sticks would be really fun... Tikal and Sticks are like the "angel & devil" on Cream's shoulders.

What an image.

12 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

This is based on a character with very limited characterization. And specifically based on the archie interpretation. But I think mighty wouldn't be too fond of shadow. I feel like everything how he carries himself and seemingly continues to succeed would kind of irk him.

How so, do you think?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

What an image.

How so, do you think?

Again this is based on archie mighty. And its based on a simple interaction. Unless I remembered wrong, there's the whole bit where mighty is trying to train sonic to control or rather to just deal with and go with the flow. There's a joke line like said by mighty " You know how you sound like trying to control everything " . And while at the time it made sonic annoyed, its said a lot more about mighty. His view on the world and it was weirdly reflective of his character.

so if knuckles imo is angry hermit. Mighty is a wondering monk, he's like a chill dude who's kinda zen doesn't like fighting really and is just kind of vibing. At least the latter days of his archie incarnation. And I just don't think that guy vibes with shadow very much. That guy vibes with shadow even less than sonic, particularly for one key detail i'm gonna list in a second. 

But yeah, shadow's entire thesis on how he solves problems and carries himself to his powers I feel like would tick mighty off. Mighty to me being a " things are what they are we have to adapt" and shadow punching the concept of adapting in the face so he doesn't have to adapt so he can solve problems quicker. And I can just seem him being annoying at shadow suggesting killing people, manipulating time and space how he carries himself. I feel like he would think shadow thinks of himself too highly. He's just a guy like everyone else, why does he call himself the ultimate life form.

And that last part is the key thing to that ( and hopefully something they actually dress in the comics now that comic characters seem to be aware of shadow's presence something that was rare to non existent in archie ) he doesn't know anything about him. Most people don't , even some of the cast of the games  characters don't know everything about shadow. There are characters who strait up think shadow's just some weird dude. And he isn't like blaze where its a quick title and explanation, and I don't know if other characters would be comfortable sharing that info. Espically since its a source of insecurity for the character. So the reverence we audience and some of the cast have for shadow because they know him, wouldn't exist for characters like mighty and most of the known universe because they know of him, they don't know him.

So like to mighty or hypothetically many other characters, shadow's just a weird aggressive asshole.

11 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, Knuckles generally didn't get much interaction with anyone who wouldn't either try his patience or take advantage of him, so Cream and arguably Tails were generally out in longer interactions. I do kinda wonder if his vaguely noble side as well as maybe his very slight awkwardness when it comes to girls could manifest in a different way when it comes to her compared to how he sees the other female characters with varying understandability.

On an off note, it does make these two bits peculiar

222-2226790_sonic-advance-sonic-advance-3-knuckles-and-cream.pnghqdefault.jpg

True.

Though if we're talking about passive in terms of conflict, Sticks could also work.

Yeah, guess it was 'pairing the spares' there.

One concept I actually kinda like the idea of is having one naive kid who actually DOES think Knuckles is more awesome than Sonic and everyone else. A proper 'Knuckles Jr.' protege I guess that kinda plays to his insecure ego but also maybe shown off his softer side. I'm not sure if Cream really fits that though, she's more Amy's sidekick, and I don't see her turning into a hyper defensive fangirl towards anyone unprovoked (it was stretching it to play her AGAINST Knuckles).

I suppose maybe someone close the comics' Relic in premise but without the 'older than they look' twist.

10 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Again this is based on archie mighty. And its based on a simple interaction. Unless I remembered wrong, there's the whole bit where mighty is trying to train sonic to control or rather to just deal with and go with the flow. There's a joke line like said by mighty " You know how you sound like trying to control everything " . And while at the time it made sonic annoyed, its said a lot more about mighty. His view on the world and it was weirdly reflective of his character.

so if knuckles imo is angry hermit. Mighty is a wondering monk, he's like a chill dude who's kinda zen doesn't like fighting really and is just kind of vibing. At least the latter days of his archie incarnation. And I just don't think that guy vibes with shadow very much. That guy vibes with shadow even less than sonic, particularly for one key detail i'm gonna list in a second. 

But yeah, shadow's entire thesis on how he solves problems and carries himself to his powers I feel like would tick mighty off. Mighty to me being a " things are what they are we have to adapt" and shadow punching the concept of adapting in the face so he doesn't have to adapt so he can solve problems quicker. And I can just seem him being annoying at shadow suggesting killing people, manipulating time and space how he carries himself. I feel like he would think shadow thinks of himself too highly. He's just a guy like everyone else, why does he call himself the ultimate life form.

And that last part is the key thing to that ( and hopefully something they actually dress in the comics now that comic characters seem to be aware of shadow's presence something that was rare to non existent in archie ) he doesn't know anything about him. Most people don't , even some of the cast of the games  characters don't know everything about shadow. There are characters who strait up think shadow's just some weird dude. And he isn't like blaze where its a quick title and explanation, and I don't know if other characters would be comfortable sharing that info. Espically since its a source of insecurity for the character. So the reverence we audience and some of the cast have for shadow because they know him, wouldn't exist for characters like mighty and most of the known universe because they know of him, they don't know him.

So like to mighty or hypothetically many other characters, shadow's just a weird aggressive asshole.

I actually like this angle, because it makes a ton of sense; there's not many people who actually know about Shadow's story or circumstances, and he's way too antisocial to ever talk about his past, so as far as everyone else knows, he's just a more violent and no-nonsense thug that looks like Sonic. 

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

I actually like this angle, because it makes a ton of sense; there's not many people who actually know about Shadow's story or circumstances, and he's way too antisocial to ever talk about his past, so as far as everyone else knows, he's just a more violent and no-nonsense thug that looks like Sonic. 

I hope that's something that gets worked with in the comic. In the old comic shadows interactions with the world was limited he was often sequestered off into his corners of the world. In the world we have in the new books people recognize but don't know him. Its kind of the same thing with infinite he went in not knowing what the deal was and got bodied. They could use this as an opportunity to make a better infinite, and eclipse  type character if they want to go about giving shadow his own villian again.

Now that I think of it. This type of story telling is only enhanced by the 2 worlds mandate. Because a lot of shadows big feats happened on an entirely different planet. Not that his actions were so readily known before. But there's an entire dimensional wall of obfuscation.

Lot of narrative opportunities there

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

I hope that's something that gets worked with in the comic. In the old comic shadows interactive with the world was limited he was often sequestered off into his corners of the world. In the world we have in the new books people recognize but no him. Its kind of the same thing with infinite he went in not knowing what the deal was and got bodied. They could use this as an opportunity to make a better infinite, and eclipse  type character if they want to go about giving shadow his own villian again.

Now that I think of it. This type of story telling is only enhanced by the 2 worlds mandate. Because a lot of shadows big feats happened on an entirely different planet. Not that his actions were so readily known before. But there's an entire dimensional wall of obfuscation.

I could imagine a lot of people are actually afraid of Shadow because of how intimidating he looks...at least in comparison to everyone else; he constantly has a scowl on his face and is dressed in much more darker colors than the other cast who are brighter. You could easily give him an arc on how he's kind of insecure at how he makes people feel, mainly because he's sworn to protect them so it's bothersome to have the people he's trying to help be afraid of him. 

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

I could imagine a lot of people are actually afraid of Shadow because of how intimidating he looks...at least in comparison to everyone else; he constantly has a scowl on his face and is dressed in much more darker colors than the other cast who are brighter. You could easily give him an arc on how he's kind of insecure at how he makes people feel, mainly because he's sworn to protect them so it's bothersome to have the people he's trying to help be afraid of him. 

You could if you wanted to make a very overt statement about prejudices and how it kind if effects the people its directed towards. Using that, if you are willing.

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

You could if you wanted to make a very overt statement about prejudices and how it kind if effects the people its directed towards. Using that, if you are willing.

Oh right, Shadow's black :V

• Chuckle 1

8 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I mean, on serious note.  These characters appeal to folks around the world and can be used to tell all sorts of relatable. As someone who was a black kid , seeing these things presented from time to time if done well,  is cool.

In fact, along with what I said before about Tikal, I would like Knuckles, Cream and Gemerl being a team for a game.

That is a unique trio.

Kinda brings to mind this one image of Knuckles and Gemerl back to back, only with Cream flanking them.

15 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

4 hours ago, Kuzu said:

It's been a while since I read Archie, but I got the feeling Reboot Mighty knew Moss explicitly because he too needed guidance to help him deal with his anger in stressful situations.

That said, that is an interesting point about Shadow in universe.

5 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Yeah, guess it was 'pairing the spares' there.

One concept I actually kinda like the idea of is having one naive kid who actually DOES think Knuckles is more awesome than Sonic and everyone else. A proper 'Knuckles Jr.' protege I guess that kinda plays to his insecure ego but also maybe shown off his softer side. I'm not sure if Cream really fits that though, she's more Amy's sidekick, and I don't see her turning into a hyper defensive fangirl towards anyone unprovoked (it was stretching it to play her AGAINST Knuckles).

I suppose maybe someone close the comics' Relic in premise but without the 'older than they look' twist.

That is a neat idea to see realized. Cream would be an odd one for that exact role, but I could see the 4kids Cosmo speech being how she comes to an understanding of him.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

I hope that's something that gets worked with in the comic. In the old comic shadows interactions with the world was limited he was often sequestered off into his corners of the world. In the world we have in the new books people recognize but don't know him. Its kind of the same thing with infinite he went in not knowing what the deal was and got bodied. They could use this as an opportunity to make a better infinite, and eclipse  type character if they want to go about giving shadow his own villian again.

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I mean, on serious note.  These characters appeal to folks around the world and can be used to tell all sorts of relatable. As someone who was a black kid , seeing these things presented from time to time if done well,  is cool.

Not to mention the Phantom Shadow's that were tearing through Sunset City among other places.