Awoo.

Sonic Mania's reception to determine future direction

Badnik Mechanic

I don't think that this would be the end for 3D Sonic, but if this is the case I'll be very angry. I hate that SEGA have this attitude that 3D Sonic is inherently impossible because of divisions in the fanbase and nothing to do with their lack of quality. If Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom and Shadow the Hedgehog weren't a thing, we wouldn't be having these conversations. Don't tell me that because you rushed a game out or didn't put the work in that you're taking 3D Sonic away because I'm impossible to satisfy.

Make it work. Fix 3D Sonic. Between Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes I loved 3D Sonic. I even have a soft spot for Sonic 06 (To this day I maintain that conceptually it was everything I wanted, but was doomed by a lack of polish and execution).

I think that it would be good for SEGA to re-evalute 3D Sonic, sure (but then, what have they been doing since Lost World in that case?), but I would hate for 3D sonic to disappear.

35 minutes ago, Stephenb19 said:

I don't think that this would be the end for 3D Sonic, but if this is the case I'll be very angry. I hate that SEGA have this attitude that 3D Sonic is inherently impossible because of divisions in the fanbase and nothing to do with their lack of quality. If Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom and Shadow the Hedgehog weren't a thing, we wouldn't be having these conversations. Don't tell me that because you rushed a game out or didn't put the work in that you're taking 3D Sonic away because I'm impossible to satisfy.

Make it work. Fix 3D Sonic. Between Sonic Adventure and Sonic Heroes I loved 3D Sonic. I even have a soft spot for Sonic 06 (To this day I maintain that conceptually it was everything I wanted, but was doomed by a lack of polish and execution).

I think that it would be good for SEGA to re-evalute 3D Sonic, sure (but then, what have they been doing since Lost World in that case?), but I would hate for 3D sonic to disappear.

Sonic 06 and Rise of Lyric were resilts of rushed and troubled productions. I mean Fire and Ice was delayed a bit and it got better reviews than the two previous Boom games. 

i want 2d classic amy to be playable :cry: but i don't think that's gonna happen here. i agree with the notion that, no matter what, 3d games aren't gonna be going away anytime soon. i do enjoy the 2d games a lot and it'd be nice if they brough some back like they are doing and i think that as long as they know what the fans want, they will keep delivering the best they can to the audience they want. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, rosedust said:

i want 2d classic amy to be playable :cry: but i don't think that's gonna happen here. i agree with the notion that, no matter what, 3d games aren't gonna be going away anytime soon. i do enjoy the 2d games a lot and it'd be nice if they brough some back like they are doing and i think that as long as they know what the fans want, they will keep delivering the best they can to the audience they want. 

If they're gonna start making a seperate line of 2D Sonic games along a 3D one they should really consider adding more playable characters to the 2D games. It's not like Taxman can't do it. He once helped to make that one fangame that had Shadow and some other guys playable. So he is familiar with the other characters and how to make them work. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RictalRose0 said:

If they're gonna start making a seperate line of 2D Sonic games along a 3D one they should really consider adding more playable characters to the 2D games. It's not like Taxman can't do it. He once helped to make that one fangame that had Shadow and some other guys playable. So he is familiar with the other characters and how to make them work. 

yeah! it'd be awesome to have a 2d game with more playable characters, i've played some fangames online with classic amy, hell even sally acorn! i don't know, but i'd love to play more people and i think a lot of people agree. personally, i love amy's gameplay and it'd be fun to play as her in her own game (which would never happen though, being honest).

• Thumbs Up 1

Classic Amy would be great yes AND she is actually from the original Classic line-up. The only girl from the classic line up actually that made the cut to the games. I think it would be great to have here there and do think the Whitehead team could do it eventually. What I really do have doubts though is wheter or not the Modern characters can appear as well. Characters like Shadow or Rouge or Blaze. They're not Classic Era I know but they are fan favorites (especially Shadow and Blaze) and it's not like Taxman hasn't done it before.

Hell why can't they made a 2D game with the Adventure or even Moder Era aesthetics and characters? You know like Sonic Advance but with better graphics, better planned and longer stages and having the upgraded framerate Mania has as well as the better engine overall? An Advance game with Mania's quality. Now that would be great.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta love the time taken for that petty potshot toward Shadow just cause. That was very professional.

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Gotta love the time taken for that petty potshot toward Shadow just cause. That was very professional.

It's almost obligatory at this point. Does the Gaming Press have to act like know-it-alls that understand the fanbase better that any actual fan literally every single time?

37 minutes ago, RictalRose0 said:

It's almost obligatory at this point. Does the Gaming Press have to act like know-it-alls that understand the fanbase better that any actual fan literally every single time?

That would imply they actually know anything about the fanbase beyond how unpleasable it is.

• Thumbs Up 1