Awoo.

Sonic Mania is Approaching: What's Your Plan?

Zippo

Probably request the day off from work so I can just enjoy the game for the full day. I really don't mind spoilers, but I'll probably just not actively seek them out. If I could survive not really being spoiled at all for Persona 5, I'm sure I can do it for a Sonic game. Day 1 or whenever reviews come out, I'll probably just check Metacritic to see what reviews are like for the heck of it, but won't read anything. 

I still don't know if I plan on getting it immediately when it comes out. I might just let it pass me by a bit and wait for me to feel up to it as a casual buy.

6 hours ago, Eevee of the Everstone said:

How cute, you think this game is going to have a story.

Screencapping this

• Thumbs Up 9

I'm so happy you've made this topic, This is actually the first game in like 8 years that i'll be avoiding any and all spoilers so i can get a fresh experience while playing though it, but my methods into how i plan on going though Mania differs between two plans i have in mind. And before the game hits, i'll run though all of the classic era games including Sonic Jam's hub world.

1. I recently found out that my new 4K Samsung TV can utilise Steam Link, So i might stream Mania on the big screen. The only disadvantage is that i won't be able to use a controller that i'm way too adjusted to play without and that goes into 2.

2. I'll be playing though Mania on my current monitor using my Sega Saturn Controller and playing though it in one sitting.

I forgot to add that i'll be playing it with my nephew soon afterwards for maximum fun 

I mean i'm pretty indecisive but you get the point. Otherwise, I'll be lurking away till the spoilers land.

I'll try to steer away from spoilers the best I can, but if I do happen to stumble upon a few, then it's no biggie. Generations absolutely blew me away when I finally got to play it despite the fact that I've watched plenty of videos on every level prior to it. Sonic isn't a series where experiencing it vicariously will hamper my own physical experience with it, so I won't be embittered even if I do see the gameplay. If anything, it'd make me even more excited.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no console that's capable of playing Sonic Mania.  I am buying an Xbox One.  Why?  I can't stand the controller for the PS4.  I don't have a PC (I have a Mac, not into PC's).  I even have zero interest in having a Switch!  Can ya believe that?  I played a demo of an Xbox One at my local Best Buy and I liked it a lot.  I'm sadly on welfare and I do have enough to buy an Xbox One.  So I'm gonna get an Xbox One for Sonic Mania and any other Sonic game that I'm able to buy for the Xbox One.

1 hour ago, Foxboy Mick said:

I have no console that's capable of playing Sonic Mania.  I am buying an Xbox One.  Why?  I can't stand the controller for the PS4.  I don't have a PC (I have a Mac, not into PC's).  I even have zero interest in having a Switch!  Can ya believe that?  I played a demo of an Xbox One at my local Best Buy and I liked it a lot.  I'm sadly on welfare and I do have enough to buy an Xbox One.  So I'm gonna get an Xbox One for Sonic Mania and any other Sonic game that I'm able to buy for the Xbox One.

If you want to save some money, you could just install Windows on your Mac and play Sonic Mania :)

I'll continue to watch the forums for any more possible reveals or leaks (as I myself don't mind spoilers for this game), but we've seen so much lately that I would be perfectly fine with not having any more information until launch. I have a feeling that there's a good chance we'll see a Sonic 3 zone between now and then though, just to even things out, considering that we've seen zones from all the other classic games.

Also, after Aaron said in an interview that the team likes using Sega Saturn USB controllers to test the game with, I made sure to get one for myself to play Sonic Mania the way it's truly meant to be played. I am now completely prepared to enjoy the hell out of this game.

saturn_usb2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Foxboy Mick said:

Please pardon me for saying this but...

If you're on welfare you've really no need/business getting something like a new console, bills and food should be the utmost priority over extravagant and spontaneous purchases... Car care/fuel and stuff like that...

Always make sure you've got more than enough to keep yourself full each day and your roof comfortably over your head.

8 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Probably request the day off from work so I can just enjoy the game for the full day.

Pretty much my plan.

I'll probably be trying to decide if I should hop on SSMB and post spoilers or not. Living in New Zealand means the local console versions (not Steam tho, sure switch to local currency but dont change to local release dates/times blegh) should go live quite a number of hours before the rest of the world on launch day. So by the time some of you are finally able to download the game I'll likely have finished it :P

Totally taking the day off work tho, to not do so would be obscene. Hoping I can find some secrets and bugs before anyone else, like with the smart phone port of Sonic 2. Was funny getting to the end credits with Knuckles and having him die during them, then having Taxman responding to my post saying he hoped they could push the fix before anyone got that far haha. Also finding the little "to be continued" animation when you got all the Chaos Emeralds etc. Ahh good times.

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Please pardon me for saying this but...

If you're on welfare you've really no need/business getting something like a new console, bills and food should be the utmost priority over extravagant and spontaneous purchases... Car care/fuel and stuff like that...

Always make sure you've got more than enough to keep yourself full each day and your roof comfortably over your head.

Pretty much my plan.

But Sonic is love, Sonic is life.

1 minute ago, Cornelius Fudge said:

But Sonic is love, Sonic is life.

Well, that's true in its own way, but I concern over ones well being over hobbies.

I dunno... It's where my nose doesn't belong I guess.

tenor.gif

None of my business.

22 hours ago, Eevee of the Everstone said:

How cute, you think this game is going to have a story.

It was comfirmed to have a story....

Like the classics though. Because every classic game at least had a simple and small story. 

Speaking of the story, I wonder what will happen with the hardboiled heavies.

Anyways, I am going to avoid all spoilers and play the game all day when it releases. I have waited so long, as want to be shocked by all the surprises.

It comes to my mind that I learned classic Sonics story from the user manuals. Now this is a digital product, so I hope the Mania Team doesn't explain the story just through cutscenes.

8 hours ago, molul said:

If you want to save some money, you could just install Windows on your Mac and play Sonic Mania :)

I'm aware of that method, but if I wanted to run Windows... I'd get a PC.  I'm not interested in a PC.  So I'll get an Xbox One and that's pretty much final for me.

Why get a PC to run Windows when you can do it on a Mac? I mean, it's nothing weird, you can just install it and run Windows games like on any PC.

i'll probably do a marathon with the classics and stream it the day before release, then play mania as sonic + tails without a savegame. i want to play this as pure as I did with sonic 2 back in the day. never gonna save!

as for spoilers, im pretty sure i wont be able to avoid everything..but i'll try to not spoil the entire game.

The good part about seeing spoilers was that I didn't rewatch the gameplay videos long enough to memorize the level designs.

• Thumbs Up 1

I bought the collectors edition, and because it is getting imported to Australia, it will come a few weeks after everyone else gets their Sonic Mania. For the two weeks waiting for the game to arrive, I'm going to stay away from reading anything to do with Mania on the internet. 

On 06/07/2017 at 4:35 PM, Sonikko said:

My plan is to avoid spoilers and new footage. I'll play the game day one with a fresh mind!

Like Sonikko and maybe a few others, this is where I'm going into no spoiler mode. Roll on August 15th!

18 hours ago, Sir Laptop said:

I bought the collectors edition, and because it is getting imported to Australia, it will come a few weeks after everyone else gets their Sonic Mania. For the two weeks waiting for the game to arrive, I'm going to stay away from reading anything to do with Mania on the internet. 

I actually wanted to purchase the collector's edition, but I couldn't justify that since I'm a college student scraping the bucket. I guess I'll enjoy my Game gear collection on Sonic Adventure. :(

I'll try to avoid any spoilers from this point onwards. This is the first Sonic game I'm buying since Sonic Generations, so I'm pretty excited for it. I've already pre-ordered the game on PS4 and I'll be waiting all day and night till it starts downloading.