Awoo.

Sonic Mania is Approaching: What's Your Plan?

Zippo

...I have no idea what my plan is.  I think I don't have one.

My computer is frankly not good enough to play games on.  My only gaming machine is a 3DS.  And while I will almost certainly be getting a Switch somewhere down the line... that point is being increasingly pushed back as games keep on being released on the 3DS, and frankly I barely have gaming time enough any more to keep up with those.  Getting a new console right now isn't something I can justify.

It's frustrating.  I would really like to play Mania blind, but even if that ever happens, it probably won't be until many months after everyone else has played it to death.

• Thumbs Up 1

My plan is to just avoid everything, except the music. Don't give a damn about that getting spoiled for me.:lol:

i'm thinking of getting a steam to play this game.

not sure if my computer can run it. my processor is amd anthlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor 3.00 GHZ

what do you think fam. 

Is it just me or is this topic title ominous...Mania is approaching and apparently I need to plan for it...what does it plan on doing to me...

Seriously though, I'm unfortunately in a similar situation as FFWF. It might be a while before I get the chance to play Mania, which is a shame because I'm really excited for it. Fortunately I'm not too bothered by spoilers, but it'll still be kind of a bummer being left out of the loop. Oh well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't know where to ask or if I need to make a topic about this...but...

I have a question for my europeans fellows who pre-ordered via PlayStation Store...Did  you get all the pre-order bonus stuff? I asked a friend and he said he got nothing...It's only for America or what?

9 minutes ago, Sephy said:

I really don't know where to ask or if I need to make a topic about this...but...

I have a question for my europeans fellows who pre-ordered via PlayStation Store...Did  you get all the pre-order bonus stuff? I asked a friend and he said he got nothing...It's only for America or what?

I'm Australian, but the European and Australian stores are mostly the same. I got nothing, even though the store page says you'll get the bonuses.

Back on topic, I'm not planning on avoiding spoilers and might even actively seek them out, because I've run out of patience waiting and have no self-control whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Sephy said:

For some reason European & UK gamers can't access the pre-order themes and avatars until the day when the game releases. We don't get access to them early like North America.

This is what happened with the Crash N-Sane trilogy. When the game released at mid-night on 15th August I could then use the themes and avatars.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 11:12 AM, Eevee of the Everstone said:

How cute, you think this game is going to have a story.

DFY7ShgUMAAsxuE.jpg

*ahem*

• Thumbs Up 5

I've Pre-Ordered the Sonic Mania Collectors Edition from Wal*Mart a while ago. I checked their site, but it says it comes out in September, Not August...

Please Wal*Mart! Don't ship it late!

9 hours ago, Zippo said:

DFY7ShgUMAAsxuE.jpg

*ahem*

Hahahah

anyways, my plan is to avoid spoilers a few days before release and then play the game when it releases.

No plan really, just waiting till release date. Don't mind spoilers. Won't go out actively looking for them but if it happens it happens. 

Hard to believe, but reviewers and or people with connections could potentially have the game in their hands as soon as next week. I'm getting the gut feeling that this week is the calm before the storm. 

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Hard to believe, but reviewers and or people with connections could potentially have the game in their hands as soon as next week. I'm getting the gut feeling that this week is the calm before the storm. 

I haven't thought of that... I'll try to stay out of this Sub-Forum until August 15... 

10 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

I haven't thought of that... I'll try to stay out of this Sub-Forum until August 15... 

Smart idea. As soon as that fabled "Someone has their hands on Sonic Mania!" post shows up, I'm outta here. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

I'm actually very eager to read the reviews (which will most likely take longer than just next week). As long as the reviews themselves don't contain major spoilers and just talk about game features and things like that, I'm very curious to see what critics think of the game. 

Almost every hands on preview I've read has been positive so I'm pretty optimistic that this game could have one of the higher metacritic scores for a Sonic game that we've seen 

I don't have any of the Classic games aside from the Game Gear collection that came with Sonic Adventure, so in commemoration of Sonic Mania, I've actually been watching videos of the Classic Stages to get a taste of what Sonic Mania is going to be. I'm honestly even more excited because of how dynamic the experience feels and how the games constantly keeps you on your toes through its tricky platforming. Even enemy placement can be a hassle to deal with which is a novelty now that the boost gameplay trivializes enemies. I particularly liked how automation was dealt with and how some oddly placed springs can actually propel you to areas that you didn't even think actually existed and many of the additional passages don't only serve as a means to travel through point A to point B.

I used to belittle the Classic Sonic stages for not giving that sense of speed, but they do a lot of things that I feel are missing in Modern Sonic including substantial gameplay "gimmicks" that actually diversify and distinguish stages from one another. I'll continue watching some more videos until I finally get my hands on Sonic Mania to finally understand why people consider Classic Sonic so amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Buy it.

That's the best plan is it not?

Also listen to the soundtrack for weeks on end.

• Thumbs Up 1

Starting August 1, I'm not looking up anything Sonic-related outside of this forum. (Hopefully no one here ruins any surprises) Nothing on YouTube, TV Tropes, Google, nadda.

The only massive secret in a Sonic game that wasn't spoiled for me in recent years was the twist with the Time Eater. (I should've seen it coming a mile away, but luckily I didn't.)

When I first play sonic mania, im gonna start the game as sonic and finish green hill zone. After that I'm gonna play as tails and finish green hill zone. After that I'm gonna play as knuckles and finish green hill zone. Rinse and repeat for the next levels. 

It lengthens the game a little longer for me.

I'm going to Myrtle Beach down in South Carolina from this coming Saturday until the 6th or 7th next month so a good weeks worth of my waiting time will be spent on vacation enjoying the waves in reality before the waves of Mania crash into me.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 27/7/2017 at 1:41 AM, A wreaking havoc engine said:

When I first play sonic mania, im gonna start the game as sonic and finish green hill zone. After that I'm gonna play as tails and finish green hill zone. After that I'm gonna play as knuckles and finish green hill zone. Rinse and repeat for the next levels. 

It lengthens the game a little longer for me.

Funny approach. I totally prefer following the storyline to the end, and then repeat with another character :)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

16 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

I'm going to Myrtle Beach down in South Carolina from this coming Saturday until the 6th or 7th next month so a good weeks worth of my waiting time will be spent on vacation enjoying the waves in reality before the waves of Mania crash into me.

That's quite a good idea. A nice relaxing holiday to take your mind off Mania.

Whereas I'm doing it the other way round. I've got a week off-of work starting 16 Aug to play Mania as much as I like. Then I'm going on holiday for about a week. So I'll be relaxing and thinking...Mania was so good *inserts obligatory Spiderman 3 gif* :P

Image result for sonic adventure relaxing on the beach fin

• Thumbs Up 2

It has been published elsewhere and it is on the Steam page for Sonic Mania, but a few people seem to still be wondering/worrying that their older PC's wouldn't be able to play Sonic Mania. Well unless your computer is from pre-history I wouldn't concern yourself.

Minimum

Processor: Pentium 4 1.6GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compliant video card 32MB
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 400MB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible

Recommended

Processor: Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: DirectX 9.0c compliant video card 256MB
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Storage: 400 MB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c Compatible

The Pentium 4 came onto the scene back in 2000, and the recommended Core 2 Duo was around as far back as 2006. The 2GB RAM needed to comfortably run the game is also a drop in the bucket compared to what most PC's have come with off the shelf for the last 10 years or more. The rest is all pretty stock standard stuff that unless your computer is over 15 years old you should have gotten out of the box.

Hope this helps anyone concerned with their PC and wondering if it will be able to run Sonic Mania or not. Unless your PC is the equivalent of a dinosaur and is over 15 years old, the answer is yes, you can run Sonic Mania!!

• Thumbs Up 9

The main thing i have eventually realized is that i want to try to avoid any situation where everything about the game is data mined soon after release.  Now without a physical release, I am not sure if the game's data files will remain private from those who could comb through it and reveal every single bit of information?  Basically I wish to be able to learn what nuances the game contains by how it is designed to gradually reveal them, particularly by chance!