Awoo.

Sonic Boom RPG

RedFox99

This guy the-gitz made some sprites for Sonic Boom characters 

Sonic Boom RPG character sprites

And it got me thinking because he said on his tumblr that an RPG would fit the Boom series as more focus can be put on story and there really wouldn't be any worries for glitches.

27 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

there really wouldn't any worries for glitches.

My little coding duck and I do not know how to respond to this.

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

My little coding duck and I do not know how to respond to this.

Coding duck?

It's not like RPGs are innately less prone to glitches than other genres for some reason. In fact, depending on the subgenre they can be more vulnerable to them, simply due to the sheer number of variables that need to be considered at any given time - we give Elder Scrolls games a lot of shit for this, but there's so much shit going on in them that isn't immediately obvious that it's incredibly hard to test for every possible scenario.

Nevermind that even simple, turn-based RPGs can have weird glitches and exploits too. Hell, you can theoretically clear a Final Fantasy game in just under 7 minutes by running into the same staircase for several minutes.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/6/2017 at 10:26 AM, Blacklightning said:

It's not like RPGs are innately less prone to glitches than other genres for some reason. In fact, depending on the subgenre they can be more vulnerable to them, simply due to the sheer number of variables that need to be considered at any given time - we give Elder Scrolls games a lot of shit for this, but there's so much shit going on in them that isn't immediately obvious that it's incredibly hard to test for every possible scenario.

Nevermind that even simple, turn-based RPGs can have weird glitches and exploits too. Hell, you can theoretically clear a Final Fantasy game in just under 7 minutes by running into the same staircase for several minutes.

Huh I never really knew that.

On 06/07/2017 at 2:41 PM, RedFox99 said:

Coding duck?

I have a little plastic duck on my desk.

Whenever I get stuck or come across a bug in my code. I explain the problem to my duck. 

I usually am then able to solve the problem. 

I can provide a picture of the duck if you do not believe me.

• Thumbs Up 8

On 7/6/2017 at 10:30 AM, RedFox99 said:

Huh

As a note, we generally don't allow one-word responses here because they're not contributive to the conversation.  Please try to put more effort into your posts, which you seem to be doing the majority of the time so it's fine.  Just making a note!

11 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I can provide a picture of the duck if you do not believe me.

I want to see a picture of the duck. :<

• Thumbs Up 4

Anyways I guess making an RPG isn't so easy. How do you think the gane could play aside from the usual turnbased system?

As an on-topic response, I don't think it's fair to use glitches that you have to actually go out of your way to do (especially from older 8-bit games where clusterfuck coding was extremely common) as an example for why an RPG would be just as susceptible to glitches.  I think the point they meant to get across is that they're not likely to be as susceptible to glitches that impede upon core mechanics of the game, provided there's a half-decent layer of quality control.  If we're referring specifically to sprite-based RPG's in the vein of Pokémon or 2-D Final Fantasy, there's not much in the way of platforming, so something like the climbing glitch from Sonic '06 or anything like that would be less likely to occur on the notion that those mechanics simply don't exist, especially if they rely on a pre-built engine.

I don't really see an RPG working for the Boom series any more than it would a main series platformer, though.  I wouldn't mind a game with RPG elements like Secret Rings and Rise of Lyric "tried" to do.  I'd say, at most, I'd prefer Sonic to be in line with something like Shantae: Half-Genie Hero.  While the linearity of the game was disappointing to me as a Shantae title, as a Sonic title, this would actually be perfect.  Basically, every level has a linear goal but has different side quests and collectibles that reward you with goodies that will also help you upgrade your character.  Also, returning to previous levels would allow you to clear them in different ways and explore different routes with your new abilities, which in turn would reward you with other goods.

That's, of course, more of a Metroidvania formula than an RPG formula, but the two do tend to intermingle, so it wouldn't too far off.

9 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

LLwEcID.jpg

That's a very handsome duck!

• Thumbs Up 4

15 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

LLwEcID.jpg

Interesting. It looks nice.

Anyways @Tara you make good points about the platformer since the genre is good for the Boom games. 

3 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

This thread is going in the perfect direction 

See, coding duck works.

• Thumbs Up 5

I thought this was about ideas for a Sonic Boom RPG. Now we're talking about coding ducks.

Speaking of which, that's a nice duck.

5 minutes ago, Polkadi said:

I thought this was about ideas for a Sonic Boom RPG. Now we're talking about coding ducks.

Speaking of which, that's a nice duck.

It's odd. Anyways do you have any ideas of how an RPG could work?

In this case, would recommend pushing on visual appeal: posters, promotional artwork, e.t.c.