Jump to content
Awoo.

Lets Talk About This One Red Ring "There Stop Moaning About The Topic Title"


Badnik Mechanic

Recommended Posts

Edit 3: Added a Legal Disclaimer because we're at this stage now.

Legal Disclaimer: Original title was 'Does Sonic Forces have a draw distance problem' or something along those lines, frankly I don't remember since I've made my dinner since then and I don't care anymore. 

Following The discovery that it did not have a draw distance problem, I edited the topic title to the above since it seemed to fit the newly discovered information as well as illustrate the poor design of Sonic Forces (Not my words).

Following this decision, there have been several complaints as to regards to the topic title despite the flow of the topic and the OP making it pretty obvious that something had changed. 

Other topic titles for consideration but put aside would be as follows.

* Sonic Forces continues to have terrible level design

* Is this intentional behaviour in Sonic Forces.

* This red ring is stupid.

* This graphic effect is stupid.

* Sonic Forces is stupid.

* Sonic Forces has red rings and the way this one appears is really stupid.

/Legal Disclaimer

 

Edit: I changed the topic title to reflect the new info.

UPDATE 2: Not a bug, it's intentional behaviour so you can grab a red ring.

 

Update: This is not a switch problem, this seems to be a problem on every version.

So as we all know, the switch version of Forces is graphically inferior and runs at a lower frame rate, (sorry we're not allowed to say that anymore despite it being factually true and being a possible explanation for the original issue) but something I've not seen this in any reviews so far of the Switch version is the issue of pop in.

Well... HelenBaby who used to frequent here a lot was at Nintendo HQ and recorded a very small amount of footage of Forces... and wow, what she captured was pretty bad.

The Forces section starts at around the 2 min mark... then at 2:08 Sonic jumps into an open-ish area, attacks some robots... and suddenly... rings!

Yes the switch is played in docked mode. 

Edit: Ok so just before I was to press post... I thought 'wait I don't recognise that area.' Well... it turns out that this area is in all the footage that we've seen, only in all those videos, the user quickly passes through it via the automated handrails, they don't stop in this area... if you literally use the automated segments and just pass through, the rings don't load at all.

At just around the 50 second mark, you see the user enter the same area as the above video, only the rings don't load at all for them.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Ratcicle King said:

Uh, I think the rings only show up if you kill all the robots, not an actual loading problem.

But... why? It looks like a bug if you do that since you can just pass right by and surely you'd get a higher score for doing that too since the time bonus factors that out?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't Colors and Generations do something similar? Once you press a button to open a certain path/killed a bunch of enemies, sometimes a trail of rings would pop up on said path, as an indication of where to go (Nevermind how useless that is considering the level design, honestly) or a reward for killing the robots/ solving the puzzle.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

But... why? It looks like a bug if you do that since you can just pass right by and surely you'd get a higher score for doing that too since the time bonus factors that out?

The Red Ring also doesn't appear unless you take out all the enemies. You can see this in  bunch of videos. I agree that there should be some kind of entrance effect for the rings, but at this point it's nothing more than a minute niggle. Other recent Sonic games have been exactly the same. It looks a bit cheap, but it hardly matters. It's not the result of a poor draw distanc . 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Blue Blood said:

The Red Ring also doesn't appear unless you take out all the enemies. You can see this in  bunch of videos. I agree that there should be some kind of entrance effect for the rings, but at this point it's nothing more than a minute niggl . 

Oh wow you're right.

But it... it just looks so much like a bug. In fact, even if you take the harder/faster path you bypass those enemies completely, don't red rings usually require you to take the faster/harder routes?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

But... why? It looks like a bug if you do that since you can just pass right by and surely you'd get a higher score for doing that too since the time bonus factors that out?

Nope, they just appear when you kill all the robots. There's no pop in issue going on here lol

They appear in this video

but not this one where he bypasses the robots
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mayor D said:

Oh wow you're right.

But it... it just looks so much like a bug. In fact, even if you take the harder/faster path you bypass those enemies completely, don't red rings usually require you to take the faster/harder routes?

Not really, Red Rings are usually scattered randomly through the stage, sometimes in the high/harder/faster routes, sometimes in the low/easier/slower routes. They mostly require you to be well aware of the level design instead of getting a certain route

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Oh wow you're right.

But it... it just looks so much like a bug. In fact, even if you take the harder/faster path you bypass those enemies completely, don't red rings usually require you to take the faster/harder routes?

Eh, not really. Especially not in the early stages. In this case, "fighting" the enemies is supposed to be the harder route, which is a joke. Red Rings often just find their way in to the middle of the bog standard routes, and deviations from the route (as in this case here) are usually just springs or zip lines that let you auto skip small sections. Sonic Team's level design is piss-poor. The Red Rings should be somewhere where the player is encouraged to explore our solve a small puzzle like defeating all the enemies - locked in a cage maybe, ala Heroes or '06. That way, you could see it and make a choice about what you're doing instead of missing out because you think you're taking the preferred route.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boy, you're really grasping at straws with this thread...

Then again, we've reached a point where we have to do SOMETHING in order to keep discussion on Forces going, so I suppose you can't be blamed.

Though at the same time it feels like you had a reason to take a pot-shot at the Switch version of the game and had it proven something normal...

No matter the reason, it's something to discuss I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Odd red ring" which has happened in Generations and Colours doesn't sound odd to me. In fact, it's intended. 

I know the intention of this post was solemn, but the title really feels like something I would expect from your average news media with the ambiguous news titles to get clicks. In fact, that's what brought me here in the first place. 

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

Boy, you're really grasping at straws with this thread...

Then again, we've reached a point where we have to do SOMETHING in order to keep discussion on Forces going, so I suppose you can't be blamed.

Though at the same time it feels like you had a reason to take a pot-shot at the Switch version of the game and had it proven something normal...

Did you read any of the posts or edits in this topic? 

I said it was in the switch version and pointed out the graphical issues because if this were not a deliberate thing it would be an indication that there is something wrong with that version of the game over the other systems and that would likely explain the problem, since they're faults that everybody who has played that game has pointed out. 

Furthermore, I said it was the Switch version because that's the version played in the video I saw uploaded, I then immediately changed my post when I found the issue was true in all the other versions of the game.

I've further edited my post to reflect my mistake, but thank god you came along to add nothing to the conversation.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Venom Wisp said:

"Odd red ring" which has happened in Generations and Colours doesn't sound odd to me. In fact, it's intended. 

I know the intention of this post was solemn, but the title really feels like something I would expect from your average news media with the ambiguous news titles to get clicks. In fact, that's what brought me here in the first place. 

Although an unpopular opinion, this is how I feel, though again I blame lack of anything revolving Forces to talk about since by and large any and everything TO talk about has been said and done.

Though we'll probably get more at least within the next month so... Gotta hold out until then.

1 hour ago, Mayor D said:

Did you read any of the posts or edits in this topic? 

I said it was in the switch version and pointed out the graphical issues because if this were not a deliberate thing it would be an indication that there is something wrong with that version of the game over the other systems and that would likely explain the problem, since they're faults that everybody who has played that game has pointed out. 

Furthermore, I said it was the Switch version because that's the version played in the video I saw uploaded, I then immediately changed my post when I found the issue was true in all the other versions of the game.

I've further edited my post to reflect my mistake, but thank god you came along to add nothing to the conversation.

Beifong-Shrug.gif

When one jumps the gun they often get shot in the foot. I'm not unfamiliar to this myself.

This is kind of like asking if the ball and chain boss is supposed to swing.

Edit

Now the OP is nonsensical...

Just talk about why everything is stupid/terrible?

This already happens in other threads with relevant issues/topic at hand, it doesn't need its own thread and is basically a means of creating another megathread for any and everything to fall into and be discussed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.