Awoo.

The World Is Dead In Sonic Forces

Chris Knopps

I mean no offense, but aren't most of you guys being way too harsh?

But to be fair Chris, you kinda are grasping a bit, I doubt that's the case with the ring system.

It's most likely just a way for ST to give the game a bit of a challenge, the apocalyptic theme of the game could be merely be a coincidence.

See people? Don't always have to make a snarky response.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have to agree that there's an unnecessary amount of flaming and vitriol in this thread.  Calm down and either express your disagreement in a civilized manner or roll your eyes and leave the topic like I do every time I see a status update I made when I was tired and drunk or something.

• Thumbs Up 7

8 hours ago, Dee Dude said:

I mean no offense, but aren't most of you guys being way too harsh?

But to be fair Chris, you kinda are grasping a bit, I doubt that's the case with the ring system.

It's most likely just a way for ST to give the game a bit of a challenge, the apocalyptic theme of the game could be merely be a coincidence.

See people? Don't always have to make a snarky response.

Oh, naturally it's randomly grasping at something that's obviously nothing. The point of this thread was mainly to have some fun and bring an interesting idea to the table I doubt most had considered at the moment.

It's kind of a concept I saw toyed with a bit in the Satam/Archie continuity so I figured it'd be interesting to bring the concept of "the world is dying so the rings are gone" into Forces since it added some depth to an idea in the game that is otherwise just... Happening.

As far as folks being harsh, as I've mentioned, I'm used to it and roll with it. Don't worry about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't lose all your rings in Sonic Forces when you get hit do you?

The reason Sonic dropped re-collectable rings in the first place was so players had a chance of getting back some of the rings they lost, but if players don't lose all their rings there's no reason Sonic needs to drop rings.

All they're doing is simplifying the gameplay mechanics. It's got nothing to do with lore. Rings have never had anything to do with lore now that I think about it.

@Chris Knopps 

You sure have a vivid imagination!

I think some things in those games shouldn't be analyzed from a story or lore perspective, since things have to work out in gameplay first, and more often than not they don't have an explanation in the respective lores of games.

Like powerups in Mario or floating rings in Sonic. Not being able to collect rings is one of those instances!

It is a nice point of view though.

• Thumbs Up 4

I actually quite like this idea, but yeah, I doubt it's the real reason as to why you can't re collect the rings. I haven't watched much gameplay, when Sonic gets hit, you lost ALL your rings, or just a quarter of it (like in ShadowTH)?

Same logic could be applied to the Chaos Emeralds, Eggman could've taken them and drained their power to juice his machines and space stations. I had this theory before my hype died, because it really doesn't make much sense to ignore the Emeralds' existence in a situation like this, they were always the problem solver, so why NO ONE thought about using them to stop Eggman?

Another theory explaining why Sonic was "gone" is because Eggman took Classic Sonic and brough him into the future, therefore he never "existed". But Sonic Team debunked this theory because Classic Sonic isn't Sonic from the past, but from other dimension ??

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Jango said:

I actually quite like this idea, but yeah, I doubt it's the real reason as to why you can't re collect the rings. I haven't watched much gameplay, when Sonic gets hit, you lost ALL your rings, or just a quarter of it (like in ShadowTH)?

Same logic could be applied to the Chaos Emeralds, Eggman could've taken them and drained their power to juice his machines and space stations. I had this theory before my hype died, because it really doesn't make much sense to ignore the Emeralds' existence in a situation like this, they were always the problem solver, so why NO ONE thought about using them to stop Eggman?

Another theory explaining why Sonic was "gone" is because Eggman took Classic Sonic and brough him into the future, therefore he never "existed". But Sonic Team debunked this theory because Classic Sonic isn't Sonic from the past, but from other dimension ??

We might not even have the Chaos Emeralds in Forces because of the Avatar character and Iizuka/Whoever already saying only the male characters/hedgehogs are allowed Super forms so...

They will probably just be completely nonexistent in this game.

You're relying on the REAL SUPER POWER OF TEAMWORK!!! in this one.

Or they could go the Heroes route where the Sonics go Super, while the avatar either gets a wimpy shield or sits out of the boss fight.

2 minutes ago, Dannymax440 said:

Or they could go the Heroes route where the Sonics go Super, while the avatar either gets a wimpy shield or sits out of the boss fight.

Or they're strict plot devices with no gameplay involvement, ala the Jeweled Scepter or Power Emerald.

It's a decent theory, but you have to remember that Sonic Team doesn't put that amount of detail into that sort of thing. It was never stated before in the games that the rings are an actual source of power or if they even exist outside out the context of gameplay (I know what Classic Tails said in Generations, but I blame that on the poor writing of Pontac and Graff).

As such, I simply can't assume that you can't pick up rings for any reason other than to make the game harder. After all, if your theory is true, then how come the Hedgehog Race is allowed to pick up his fallen rings?

Story elements don't affect gameplay elements (and vice-versa) in Sonic games, at least they don't anymore ever since Sonic Colors.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

It's a decent theory, but you have to remember that Sonic Team doesn't put that amount of detail into that sort of thing. It was never stated before in the games that the rings are an actual source of power or if they even exist outside out the context of gameplay (I know what Classic Tails said in Generations, but I blame that on the poor writing of Pontac and Graff).

As such, I simply can't assume that you can't pick up rings for any reason other than to make the game harder. After all, if your theory is true, then how come the Hedgehog Race is allowed to pick up his fallen rings?

Story elements don't affect gameplay elements (and vice-versa) in Sonic games, at least they don't anymore ever since Sonic Colors.

Very true, but it's worth inserting your own ideas/thoughts in titles that often have little to nothing behind things other than someone just felt like it and did it.

Even if not actually the case, it's nice to form your own head canon for games that are often nothing but bones with meat left that wouldn't fill a mouse.

• Thumbs Up 2