Awoo.

New Sonic Forces - "Enter Infinite" Trailer

BubbleButt TV

Inb4 Infinite is revealed to be a evil OC created by the character creator. The name Infinite being a reference to Infinite Possibilities for Character Creation.

But yeesh, that music is just ugh, and this is coming from someone who actually does like Linkin Park's songs. If it's any consolation, I like how the cutscenes of the game are being done?.

My ideas:

Spoiler

-Ditching that goddamn Avatar for Tiara Boobowski, but similar to Duke Nukem.

-A trailer like DNF 2001.

-Infinite sounding like Kylo Ren.

-Classic sounding like Jaleel White.

-All SatAM heroes, post Reboot.

-Duke's arsenal for Tiara.

-Duke Talk™ edited into Tiara Talk™.

-Eggman having a mysterious mentor. Here's a hint: He was voiced by Jim Cummings.

-SWATBots.

-Vehicle levels.

-Half-Life style scripted events.

-Hedgehog Engine 2 being heavily modified to add FPS stuff in there.

-Impersonation voice clips mixed in with the actual voice clips.

-Using instrumentals of the music, along with my own music and the DNF 2001 version of Grabbag.

11 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Isn't D something a lot are doing?. Some of us are happy with this while others are disliking simply cause they feel it's trying to hard.  Regardless I'm having a field day on the fb post and Twitter reblogging how much I'm liking it

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know maybe I'm just being a dick but I seriously am just not seeing what's so terrible about this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Isn't D something a lot are doing?. Some of us are happy with this while others are disliking simply cause they feel it's trying to hard.

Some people following one of the examples doesn't mean the constant complaining about people who doesn't like Forces hasn't simultaneously occurred yet again.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Some people following one of the examples doesn't mean the constant complaining about people who doesn't like Forces hasn't simultaneously occurred yet again.

Hmm I see well carry on.

I wonder did eggman make infinite or is he simply a villain he found

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I don't know maybe I'm just being a dick but I seriously am just not seeing what's so terrible about this game.

Lucky for you, there's a whole topic dedicated to explaining in paragraphs of detail why people don't like this game.

Furthermore (not directly addressed to you): If people want to talk about the mean things people are saying about Forces, you have private messages to duke it out directly with the people who have supposedly said "I don't like Forces because it's different," if you can find anyone who said that.

However, this topic is about Infinite's trailer introduction, not about the tired meta commentary that happens whenever people who like a game can't co-exist with the people who don't. Back on topic.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, back on topic. Trailer could have been done better. But the music, the voice and the character design is on point. I like it a lot. It made me appreciate how much I missed when the Sonic franchise takes the dark, edgy route. To put it into perspective. Sonic was considered edgy once.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Azure P said:

To put it into perspective. Sonic was considered edgy once.

He was.

It was kinda naff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

How this trailer edgy?

I just don't get it. What is the villain doing that makes him edgy?

Faster than Sonic?

Oh no he threw Sonic into a thing? 

Has a tolerable theme song?

That's edgy?

To be fair, in a franchise where the Overton Window for what's allowable is smaller than Pokemon's, Infinite might as well be fucking Jigsaw or something.

...Yeah, this is very silly stuff, but if I can't have a good Sonic story, as I've said before, I'll settle for an interestingly bad one before a boring one.  This story looks like it has actual ideas and is trying to have events which occur, and mysteries and high stakes and emotional responses.  That, in my view, is a good thing, and even being over-the-top is a good thing.  Even if it's ridiculous, it's an improvement.

Here's another wild theory on Infinite, similar but different to the previous ones: He's an amalgamation of countless versions of the Custom Hero from other universes, hence his outrageous power level and name "Infinite."  Thus doubly fulfilling the fantasy of less discerning fans by giving their custom character a superpowered dark side...

On the subject of the other villains, I'd have to agree that it's starting to look a lot like brainwashing; the blank looks, silence, and especially the weird glitching definitely indicate that something strange is going on.  Why would Metal Sonic, Eggman's henchman already, need brainwashing?  No idea, but it could just be for completeness's sake.  This also addresses one of my other complaints, which is that it's weirdly boring for them all to just be standing around in a street.  But if they're basically just Infinite's brainwashed lackeys, then that's... well, it's disappointing, but it makes sense for them just to be standing next to him doing nothing.  Still, the scene could have used a more dramatic setting.

And on the subject of Mania bringing back classic levels, I think there are a lot of people, like me, who aren't thrilled by that approach but who think that it is being executed fairly well nonetheless, using the two-act structure to both remain very faithful to the originals whilst also branching out into completely new gimmicks and ideas.  If Sonic Forces could show me as much imagination in any levels it revisits as Sonic Mania is in its classic returns, I wouldn't hesitate to praise it - but, if we take Forces Green Hill, the Classic version brings basically nothing to the table and significantly lacks interest, while the Avatar version is barely Green Hill at all.

• Thumbs Up 9

Infinite seems like the type of bad guy we would have gotten about 10 years ago. In that sense, he doesn't appeal to me, but I think his design is more striking than the likes of the Deadly Six, Mephilies, etc so he has that going for him. 

Overall he seems pretty boring but if he gives the rest of the cast a run for their money with his over the top bullshit we might at least get some cool interations there. I also dig the theme song.

• Thumbs Up 7

Um...well I actually didn't hate what I saw.

Still not exactly impressed with Infinite, and I'm fully anticipating his betrayal. I do like his voice tho. The most I ask is that I be surprised and that doesn't happen.

Don't really have strong thoughts overall.

It would be nice to just say that I like or hate something about the game without being forced into the camp that's outright loving the game or the one that hates everything about it.

In the beginning I was hating everything I was seeing aside from what I hoped would be a more middle-grounded story about Eggman taking over the world. The Classic Sonic shit, the wisp shit, the Bubsy 4D shit (that later turned into the more tolerable but still not ideal Character Creator shit), and the first level syndrome of the stages we've been shown so far are all stuff I don't like and aren't getting any better the more I think about them.

Things I like and am anticipating highly is stuff like seeing the characters getting speaking lines in the levels, a lot of the music pieces (aside from that still terrible Green Hill abomination), the story beats that I'm seeing, and anticipation for what the later levels will be like since almost always the first levels they show us are never representative of the final game.

Stuff I'm on the fence about is the graphics and animations I've seen so far. Infinite seems fine although I'm hoping it just stays a team-up between him and Eggman. And I also like some of the aesthetics of the locations we've seen yet I'm not too certain about how much they're recycling. It doesn't make me mad yet it doesn't get me excited. I love the Egg Dragoon but that was some standard boss battle thing they did with him with Classic Sonic. Music was catchy though.

It's a mixed bag at the moment. Probably wouldn't care at all if it weren't for the story and character stuff I care about so much making some kind of resurgence. I can let go of a lot so long as I get an actual chance to see these guys go on actual adventures and fight actual bad guys. Cool Saturday morning action anime stuff over... lame Saturday Morning dregs they used to put at the ass end of the block that they knew no one would watch. Like Johnny Test or Scooby Doo Get a Clue.

Ugh.

So yeah, Infinite. Looks like something I'd have been interested in as a kid. As an adult, I'm more interested in what he's got to contribute to the story that'll affect the other characters. 

It's such a weird and complicated relationship I have with Forces and Mania. I'm not excited about Mania at all and yet everything that comes out for it feels so much better on a technical level. Just as something I can observe and say "Yeah that's what they should do". But the game that I want to play is a 3D one with all of Sonic's friends fighting against Eggman as they try to wrestle back control of the world from the evil mad-man. And Forces is that game. And yet despite those elements being there they keep throwing in a bunch of rusty nails into my delicious cake batter. 

At the moment I don't consider Infinite to be one of those rusty nails though. I think he's fine. I'm not looking at him and going "This'll disrupt me enjoyment of the tale they're telling" just yet. 

I still have that feeling when it comes to Classic Sonic and Mr. Original the Unwanted being playable though. 

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Infinite seems like the type of bad guy we would have gotten about 10 years ago. In that sense, he doesn't appeal to me, but I think his design is more striking than the likes of the Deadly Six, Mephilies, etc so he has that going for him. 

Overall he seems pretty boring but if he gives the rest of the cast a run for their money with his over the top bullshit we might at least get some cool interations there. I also dig the theme song.

I mostly agree. I kinda sorta like Infinite's design (dat tail) and his voice- which is the one Shadow should've had but I will not be salty about it for long- but he hasn't done anything that's particularly novel in the context of this franchise yet. There's also the lingering fear of the climax of this game just being a whole bunch of weird apocalyptic fuckery that is unnecessary in light of the way the game was presented at first light, which was that Eggman took over on his own merits.

Infinite's biggest offense thus far is that he feels superfluous.

• Thumbs Up 6

Someone tell me what makes him over the top? What did he do? He kicked sonic and said usual villain lines? Lord he is so edgy I slipped off the edge of my desk at the office just now :D

1 hour ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Anyone know Infinite's VA? 'Cause he sounds eerily familiar to me.

They say it's Liam O' Brien, which I only recognize as the voice of Gaara from Naruto.

3 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Someone tell me what makes him over the top? What did he do? He kicked sonic and said usual villain lines? Lord he is so edgy I slipped off the edge of my desk at the office just now :D

He didn't do anything yet to prove that he's over the top...its just really REALLY heavily implied, and if you connect all the dots its not hard to guess why that's the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

The music and the beginning of the trailer is heavily implying that Infinite has a tragic back story.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I mostly agree. I kinda sorta like Infinite's design (dat tail) and his voice- which is the one Shadow should've had but I will not be salty about it for long- but he hasn't done anything that's particularly novel in the context of this franchise yet. There's also the lingering fear of the climax of this game just being a whole bunch of weird apocalyptic fuckery that is unnecessary in light of the way the game was presented at first light, which was that Eggman took over on his own merits.

Infinite's biggest offense thus far is that he feels superfluous.

He will probably be the explanation as to how eggman got this far, which is a bit disappointing. The Doctor getting a leg up on Sonic and immobilizing him for however long it would take for him to take over would be more effective without throwing a new character into the mix. As he is now, he's another one of the boring DBZ direct to DVD movie villains that the game won't have time to flesh out into being more than that. 

It also kind of makes me wish that we got a new villain that was just...physically able to keep up with Sonic without any magical fuckery? like, a guy who just lives on the planet and has some goal that clashes with his? I dunno. Elderich abominations and shit are getting kinda tired.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

You know, I was really hoping it'd be Eggman that'd be giving Sonic and friends a run for their money in this game instead of some edgelord.

3d2c6b752eda8145d4130996447c122e.jpg

No, not that edgelord.

PkxY0XA.png

Not that one, either.

It doesn't even have to be "instead". They could even do it together. They should take turns. Eggman will smack Sonic in the face and Infinite will kick Sonic in his ass. And Tails will take pictures.

• Thumbs Up 1