Awoo.

What Would Your Ideal Sonic Comics Liscensing Agreement Be Like!?

SonicComicFanboy

If you were a publisher what would you want from SEGA?

Personally I would say. ..

-Freedom to tell stories using all characters from all of Sonic's 26 year history.  *Even if it meant meeting in the middle and doing 2 books, one using solely SEGA Chars, the other (superior book) using pretty much everybody else. *

-Ability to reprint past Archie & Fleetway Material as well as localize the Mangas.

-A signed contract saying you would'nt rip the liscense away without warning before the contract was up.

Overall I would say in a sane universe that would be pretty reasonable.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Overall I would say in a sane universe that would be pretty reasonable.

Two of your ideas is are only unreasonable... one of them is illegal.

Just now, Mayor D said:

Two of your ideas is are only unreasonable... one of them is illegal.

Which one is unreasonable?  Getting the greenlight to reprint older material like publishers do all the time or wanting to use your characters legacy to its full potential?

Also why is wanting to make sure the liscense doesn't get ripped away from you out off the blue illegal? 

I agree with your ideas, but I technically don't think Sega ripped the license from Archie. They just stopped them from printing anything until the contract expired, which is largely the same thing.

Edit: I'd go further into why I think it's important to be able to reference and include aspects from various characters and aspects from past incarnations of the property, but I just posted what I think is a very well-thought-out post on this very thing in the hiatus discussion thread. I could quote myself, but I don't want to repeat myself in a way that people might find annoying.

• Thumbs Up 5

Hand them off to IDW and pick up where they left off. We don't need yet another reboot when we just started with the new continuity. 

• Thumbs Up 8

4 minutes ago, Borvoc said:

I agree with your ideas, but I technically don't think Sega ripped the license from Archie. They just stopped them from printing anything until the contract expired, which is largely the same thing.

True.  Though if I were a publisher I would be weary working with SEGA because of stuff like that.  I mean I know there was a time when comic book publishers were even a bit antsy working with Disney believe it or not because they had a reputation of being difficult.  Thankfully that had changed over time though and they have become more lax thus leading to people like IDW & Joe's books being able to have fun with Disney properties.

Hopefully SEGA will loosen up again with whomever gets the liscense next and they can have a healthier realationship then Archie & SEGA did at the end!

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

Hand them off to IDW and pick up where they left off. We don't need yet another reboot when we just started with the new continuity. 

Just now, Borvoc said:

@Flyinpenguin117 I'm not assuming that this is what's going to happen, but I am hoping it's what happens. Prepare for the worst; hope for the best.

Amen to both of these posts!  I will hope & pray for a best case scenario but will be prepared for the worst.  Hoping we get some more info at SDCC, though I accept we may have to wait for the fall for NYCC or beyond as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's probably not even remotely doable, but I'd love if the potential company was given the western reprinting rights to every existing Sonic comic, including Fleetway and localisation rights to the mangas and any other international obscurities like the French comics.

• Thumbs Up 6

47 minutes ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

This seems the most logical, rational, and likely solution. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Didn't the annoucement specifically say they wanted a new direction, i.e. not the one it was going in?

• Thumbs Up 3

52 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Amen to both of these posts!  I will hope & pray for a best case scenario but will be prepared for the worst.  Hoping we get some more info at SDCC, though I accept we may have to wait for the fall for NYCC or beyond as well.

Didn't Ian say we'd be hearing about what him and the Archie Sonic team are up to by this weekend? That means either some or all of them are involved in the new Sonic book, some or all of them are involved in new Archie products, or...something else entirely. Basically, I wouldn't be too surprised if we hear something this weekend regarding Sonic comics. Don't get your hopes up; we might not hear anything, and if we do hear something, it really might not involve the old team. Even if it does involve the old team, it might not be any good, as editorial mandates can ruin even the best writers, and art without a good story is only worth so much.

5 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Didn't the annoucement specifically say they wanted a new direction, i.e. not the one it was going in?

Maybe we can hope that new direction just means a new publisher? I know it's potentially unlikely.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Could just be a polite way of saying they no longer trust Archie to publish them. I feel like last year's printing delay might have something to do with that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Either way, it’s a waiting game. For the sake of discussion -- outside of IDW, what publisher would you trust with the creative license? I would probably say Image Comics and Dark Horse are the other big options out of the contemporary indies and I’d be personally pretty comfortable with either.

1 hour ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

This, this is my ideal new comic, keep the continuity, and keep the comic staff (Fingers Crossed)

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Inkarnate said:

Either way, it’s a waiting game. For the sake of discussion -- outside of IDW, what publisher would you trust with the creative license? I would probably say Image Comics and Dark Horse are the other big options out of the contemporary indies and I’d be personally pretty comfortable with either.

Image has stated multiple times to them franchised books are'nt real comics.  So odds are Boom would be the next best guess.   Other then that I guess Darkhorse, Oni or Papercutz would work too.

• Thumbs Up 3

Image has also done franchise books, so it's a bit odd that they have contradicted themselves with such statements. But such is hindsight.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I agree 

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, If they do a Sonic Forces adaptation, I WILL FORCE THEM TO MAKE IT BASED ON MY OWN IDEAS.

Those own ideas include, but are not limited to:

Spoiler

-Ditching that goddamn Avatar for Tiara Boobowski, but similar to Duke Nukem.

-A trailer like DNF 2001.

-Infinite sounding like Kylo Ren.

-Classic sounding like Jaleel White.

-All SatAM heroes, post Reboot.

-Duke's arsenal for Tiara.

-Duke Talk™ edited into Tiara Talk™.

-Eggman having a mysterious mentor. Here's a hint: He was voiced by Jim Cummings.

-SWATBots.

-Vehicle levels.

-Half-Life style scripted events.

-Hedgehog Engine 2 being heavily modified to add FPS stuff in there.

-Impersonation voice clips mixed in with the actual voice clips.

-Using instrumentals of the music, along with my own music and the DNF 2001 version of Grabbag.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Forces the comics to adapt the game's story.

</meme>

Edit: Sega really should have seen all these memes coming with a title like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Sgt Jack V said:

Those own ideas include, but are not limited to:

Reveal hidden contents

-Ditching that goddamn Avatar for Tiara Boobowski, but similar to Duke Nukem.

-A trailer like DNF 2001.

-Infinite sounding like Kylo Ren.

-Classic sounding like Jaleel White.

-All SatAM heroes, post Reboot.

-Duke's arsenal for Tiara.

-Duke Talk™ edited into Tiara Talk™.

-Eggman having a mysterious mentor. Here's a hint: He was voiced by Jim Cummings.

-SWATBots.

-Vehicle levels.

-Half-Life style scripted events.

-Hedgehog Engine 2 being heavily modified to add FPS stuff in there.

-Impersonation voice clips mixed in with the actual voice clips.

-Using instrumentals of the music, along with my own music and the DNF 2001 version of Grabbag.

I think I have a newfound appreciation for what Sonic Team's crapping out with Forces.

Anyway, I'd like IDW or Boom Studios to get it personally. I prefer to have as much of the original team back as possible, because they did one hell of a job with Archie. Saying that, if the FFs get axed or its rebooted to be game-centric or whatever, I won't actually be too fussed. I'd prefer for the revived game characters like Bean to return, but I'm not picky. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Image has stated multiple times to them franchised books are'nt real comics.  So odds are Boom would be the next best guess.   Other then that I guess Darkhorse, Oni or Papercutz would work too.

Oh, yeah Papercutz is great if you love z-grade art and getting two 48 page graphic novels per year.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only good thing that can happen is if IDW does pick up the old comics as IDW does have a history of taking properties with characters with legal loopholes and still being asble to make a comic.

I mean thats what happened to the ghostbusters comics.

Out of all the companies I say IDW is our best hope for any good future for the continuation of the archie comics.

I mean they brought back ROM space knight, a property with many legal issues keeping it from being rebooted for a long time yet they brought it back.

Plus they did do a anniversary special with archie and its very likely Archie would let them use characters like Sally and Bunnie

Its more SEGA I would worry about, would Sega deal with IDW?

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Oh, yeah Papercutz is great if you love z-grade art and getting two 48 page graphic novels per year.

Well they are getting better.  Their Smurfs stuff is decent and their CharmZ line has potential.  But yes, Boom or IDW would be 1000x better!

• Thumbs Up 3