Awoo.

What YOU think of Sonic Mania

Kuzu

Could do with less reused zones, but otherwise looks good.

Kinda tired of seeing new footage of it, though. I'm pretty sure I get the gist of what the game is going to be.

The devs are clearly passionate and care about Sonic, but I don't see how that is special or how that makes Sonc Team not passionate about Sonic. Otherwise we woudn't have reports of western devs talking about Sonc Team is picky in how Sonic is portrayed in movements and animations in games and stuff.

You can argue, and I'm of opinion too, that the Mania devs have more of the smarts behind the ldesign. 

2 minutes ago, ChikaBoing said:

The devs are clearly passionate and care about Sonic, but I don't see how that is special or how that makes Sonc Team not passionate about Sonic. Otherwise we woudn't have reports of western devs talking about Sonc Team is picky in how Sonic is portrayed in movements and animations in games and stuff.

You can argue, and I'm of opinion too, that the Mania devs have more of the smarts behind the ldesign. 

Well...yea, that's kind of the gist of it. They're not only passionate, they actually understand the game design they're working with.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Well...yea, that's kind of the gist of it. They're not only passionate, they actually understand the game design they're working with.

It's a differentation that is not often made.

2 minutes ago, ChikaBoing said:

It's a differentation that is not often made.

Because knowing the basics of game design should be something every game developer should understand in 2017. Sonic Team are just spectacularly terrible at it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Because knowing the basics of game design should be something every game developer should understand in 2017. Sonic Team are just spectacularly terrible at it.

Does not mean they are not passionate. Just disagree with the wording, that some people make. FINALLY SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT SONIC. No.

What I think about Sonic Mania? I think it's a game I'll love to play as much as the classic games and really, that just about covers it.

I also think it, and potential future games of the same vein it spawns, might possibly turn out to be the only future aspects of the Sonic series I'm really interested in. It's not for sure, but Archie Sonic has been canned and Forces looks to be taking the series in a direction that I'd say isn't for me, so it's certainly possible.

• Thumbs Up 3

22 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

When seniority comes before competence you get lackluster results, hence Sonic Team, that's the best albeit "triggering" answer there is.

If nothing else Mania proves this theory, where it's the opposite focus.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Mania is basically Sonic CD 2 to me, and seeing how Sonic CD is my favorite Sonic game of all time, Mania is completely right up my alley and I'm looking forward to it immensely. I love the new levels that have been shown and the remixed stuff within the old levels, the music is absolutely wonderful, and I dig the fact that they gave Sonic his own exclusive move that doesn't seem to ruin the overall flow. While I have enjoyed the multiple 2D Sonic games that have been released after the Genesis games and have favorites such as Sonic Pocket Adventure, Sonic Rush, and the Advance Trilogy,  I've still been kinda hoping that we would get a new 2D Sonic game that was completely just like the original classics to a T. Pocket Adventure and Advance 1 were probably the closes, but the former didn't feel too original since it mostly ripped Sonic 2 levels and altered them, and the latter just wasn't completely there in terms of feel or probably even level design to a degree. I thought Sonic 4 would finally be it, but sadly it wasn't. I still got enjoyment out of the games for what they were worth. So seeing Mania finally get things right for a 2D Sonic game feels really great. 

And I really don't mind Mania reusuing old levels because it's actually bothering to remix them and make them feel brand new. Maybe Chemical Plant shouldn't have been chosen, but eh.

• Thumbs Up 3

Thank God Sonic CD Remastered happened and it was success. Sonic Mania is the culmination of that effort of bringing the classic games back the way they deserve.

Things happen for a reason, and that reason is care and support. It didn't happened earlier because the half-assed attempts at it flew under the radar. Also, the time is right, the timing was really important too. Never before people have asked so much for the return of old games or new games inspired by them. There's a market and SEGA knew this would work now. I'm not fooling myself, this is not a: "oh SEGA is so nice, they've listened to us <3". Sonic Mania is still a product. There's no denying tho', that the team working on it are really passionate about the project, which is great, so it will be a great product, and not a mediocre attempt like Sonic 4.

I for one am super excited for this, for one main reason: I'm in my mid-20, and I don't have as much time as I used to to play videogames. Sonic Mania is "pick up and play" game. There's no huge promises behind it, except being fun and colorfull. And that's all I want. Sit down and play some Sonic for an hour. The classic gameplay is... well, classic. Roll, jump, bounce on shit, grab rings, fight some robots and whatnot. My biggest problem with Sonic 4 was never the re-used assets, but the gameplay, it wasn't fun to play, it was stiff and slow. That being said, I don't mind the return of old zones in Mania.

The future of Sonic depends of how long we're still gonna consume these kinds of games. Hopefully for long!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm looking very forward to it. Haven't actually played a 2D sonic game for years(I played them all on 360 and got all the achievements. That was like 5 or 6 years back), so I'm probably gonna be very rusty, but still nonetheless can't wait!

Will play it. But will be insanely bored whilst doing so.

As some one who grew up with the classics and played Sonic 3 and Knuckles more than out of any game in the Sonic franchise. I just have been spoiled by 3D and don't want to go back. The 2D plane is just not interesting any more. I've came to realize this ever since they've been shoehorning it into the 3D games.

As mentioned in a previous thread. Just feels like a fan game. Like some thing a fan could put together for free. And it actually is fans who've made this. Which can be considered good or bad depending how you look at it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am looking forward to it. Though im more excited atm for forces in scope. Mania will be the game i beat in one sitting and then go back and play for unshockable if any. And then every other week I may boot it up after its first month out. I do not expect it to keep me occupied long. The classic regardless of how much nostalgia that run off of have always been short pocket burst of fun.

4 hours ago, Azure P said:

Wow. Maybe just don't play it? :o

I don't think it's a fan game. It's not AAA, but certainly not a fan game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's...a game, that exists. By all means I expect it to be good, maybe one of the best in years, but I just can't bring myself to be excited over it, in truth. I'm glad the devs are getting praise, however (even if it's a tad bit overwhelming) and I hope that they'll be able to do more things alongside Sonic Team.

12 minutes ago, molul said:

Wow. Maybe just don't play it? :o

Compulsion to follow the series. Especially when Tails is playable.

* super stoked a proper 2D Sonic game is coming - plays like the classics

* great work on character and environment animation / visuals

* could've used only new stages but I actually love all the re-imagined second acts so far

* music is great, might be my favorite ost second to Sonic CD JP

* three playable characters and competition mode - tons of replay fun

Summary: one of the best Sonic games in the making. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Azure P said:

As some one who grew up with the classics and played Sonic 3 and Knuckles more than out of any game in the Sonic franchise. I just have been spoiled by 3D and don't want to go back. The 2D plane is just not interesting any more. I've came to realize this ever since they've been shoehorning it into the 3D games.

As mentioned in a previous thread. Just feels like a fan game. Like some thing a fan could put together for free. And it actually is fans who've made this. Which can be considered good or bad depending how you look at it.

As a longtime Sonic fan myself, I can actually understand this feeling.

In 1995, I had just finished playing what to me, is still today the greatest 2D platforming game ever made in Sonic 3 (and K). I'd had been hooked on Sonic since the original game, and the Sonic 3 saga took everything to the maximum for me. I didn't think another 2D game could top it, really. It was a perfect game, 10/10 quality and fun. But it inspired a dream in which I still have today, with the rise of 3D platformers at that time like Mario 64 and Crash bandicoot: A 3D Sonic platformer, but a true conceptual successor to Sonic 3K. One that brings that essence of gameplay into the next dimension.

Its been a lifelong dream of mine, one I STILL have today and won't give up on until it is done right. (This is part of the reason I looked forward to the original Sonic Adventure so much back in the day and still have an attachment to, although the game ultimately ended up being a disappointment for its fundamental problems)

It is very exciting seeing a game of Mania's quality return to the franchise and, make no mistake, I plan on buying 3 copies to show support of Taxman/Stealth and will play the crap out if it.... but ever since 1995 the only thing I've truly wanted in this franchise is for a Sonic game to reach its full potential as a 3D platformer and surpass what Sonic 3K accomplished. The formula has been perfected in 2D already, and thus Sonic Mania's early success is no surprise to me in the slightest. It has long existed but just been forgotten due to the incompetence of Takashi Iizuka and company (no offense to him, just being straightforward). I believe Sonic can be translated well in 3D with some careful and intelligent thinking by a motivated team of programmers.

So yes, Mania will be the best game to come out of the franchise in over 20 years but Sonic's full potential, to me, still lies in his unconquered land of 3D.

• Thumbs Up 3

6 hours ago, Azure P said:

I wouldn't touch a game I already know I'm not going to enjoy. There's this thing called Sonic Forces, you should check it out.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm sure it'll be a great game and achieve everything it sets out to achieve spectacularly.

The one thing I'm worried about is that in the end, it'll leave me with the same thoughts as Sonic Generations left me with, and that is
"Hey that was awesome! Can't wait for them to make an Actual game like this!"
Which sounds a bit weird and mean-spirited, but despite me loving the hell out of Generations, it never felt like a full blown adventure, it felt like a bunch of (Amazing) levels on a pile with an ending glued on. The diffrence between great gaemplay and fun levels and a full blown awesome Sonic experience is a sense of adventure, of journey. A grande finale that leaves you breathless.

Of course I don't know yet. But so far, Sonic Mania is presented without such a thing, and will be like Generations, a compilation of great levels with little to no lifeline connecting them.
This isn't bad perse, Sonic Genrations is still easily in my top 3 favorite Sonic games. But it's that sense of grand adventure that will be the diffrence between a great game and a GREAT game for Sonic Mania. That will be the diffrence whether I'll remember this game is a fun well made diversion ,or genuinely among the great Sonic games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Mania...

What is there to say about this that is bad? So very little. Which in 2017 would be seen as blasphemy for a Sonic game - did anyone ever expect this to happen after years of mainly mediocre or downright poor games? 

Did fans ever expect a game to feel like the true follow up to the best games over the last 14 years. Sega made the best of decisions to hire these guys, as they are doing such a great job.

Even with the main complaint of reused zones, they've managed to demonstrate great ideas to make them feel new again. Chemical Plant Act 2 is the most amazing thing I've seen out of the remade levels. 

I'm just waiting to hear more about the story and special/extra stages. Even just wee tidbits.

This is a game I would go into knowing very little for the element of surprise. Just like with Zelda: BotW in March, and Mario Odyssey this Christmas. Again, when was the last time we heard that comparison being made??

Just a few weeks away now...

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, BlueFlare said:

I wouldn't touch a game I already know I'm not going to enjoy. There's this thing called Sonic Forces, you should check it out.

Really? Tell me more about this thing called 'Sonic Forces.'

Seriously though. I'm not writing Sonic Mania off completely. Just unimpressed what I've seen so far. Who knows? Maybe it will be really good with some thing interesting to offer for the series. Or maybe every one hyped it up too much and it is stale as it appears to be.

No one knows until they've played the game.