Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

5 minutes ago, Zulon Eredas said:

What a lovely birthday surprise

Happy birthday dude! Mine's about in 2 days.

I figured the odds were good that IDW was going to pick it up.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I hope you're ready for this crossover. IT'S GONNA FUCKING HAPPEN!

MLP02.jpg

Not a really a fan but i'd read it just to see talking anthro animals like Sonic & co be weirded out by talkng non-anthro animals. XD

Though A Sonic/TMNT book would be better.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, who wants to take guesses on how long it'll take for Mega Man to be given to IDW?

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

So, who wants to take guesses on how long it'll take for Mega Man to be given to IDW?

If they do, it'll probably be based on the new cartoon.

4 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Wait... don't IDW do all those crazy cross overs?

So we can have Sonic & Doctor Who?

And Sonic vs Mars attacks!

Sonic Vs Transformers!?

Sonic meets the Turtles again!

They don't make Dr. Who comics anymore

• Thumbs Up 1

Having not read a single Sonic comic before, I may as well start with this series when it comes out (and if I here in the UK can get these but that's another matter).

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Wait... don't IDW do all those crazy cross overs?

So we can have Sonic & Doctor Who?

And Sonic vs Mars attacks!

Sonic Vs Transformers!?

Sonic meets the Turtles again!

That's provided SEGA lets them, and SEGA tend to be more strict about it than most companies. Also depends on what tone the comic is going for. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

I would bet IDW will want to do their own thing like they have for TMNT & Transformers.  But this does signifigantly improve the odds of the FF and forgotten game characters like Mighty/Ray/Nack/Honey still being used in some capacity as IDW actually respects the Legacy/Histories of the franchises it makes comics for!

I guess that sound good, but how much should we expect them to change if the FF come back? The SATAM concepts like the Kingdom of Acorn are so ingrained into the comic's setting. Is there a chance that they could just jump off of what was left after the shattered world arc and just use that as the new canon?

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, dwibs93 said:

Having not read a single Sonic comic before, I may as well start with this series when it comes out (and if I here in the UK can get these but that's another matter).

Forbidden Planet (Which have tons of stores and offer subscriptions by post) is great for getting US comics in the UK.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Forbidden Planet (Which have tons of stores and offer subscriptions by post) is great for getting US comics in the UK.

Another issue (...sorry), is how far behind we are compared to the US in terms of issues.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, dwibs93 said:

Another issue (...sorry), is how far behind we are compared to the US in terms of issues.

We get them a few days after the US gets them. IIRC, Forbidden Planet gets their comics directly from US distributors like Diamond. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know how feasible it is to expect the same canon, but if they can keep some of the better artistic talent. introduce some new guys and keep Ian going what he does better than anyone else, then I'll take it.

I hope news about the creative team comes out as a steady drip. with a 2018 date, I don't expect to see anything about this series for quite some time, but I would love to see the names and faces of the team as all the ducks come into a row.

Don't know squat about IDW, but here's to a successful endeavor.

• Thumbs Up 9

This is a good fit. Personally, I don't expect to see any of the old cast or anything of the sort--this is probably going to be more game-focused. And that's fine. I would surmise that this whole 6-month period was so SoJ and SoA could determine what was best for the brand and how things should be represented going forward (ie: mandates and such). 

I do think it would be in their best interest to get something out before 2018 since we haven't had anything in a while, though. I'd like to see them have a little bit more "corporate synergy"--maybe include a comic as a preorder bonus for Forces as a "sneak peek?"

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

We get them a few days after the US gets them. IIRC, Forbidden Planet gets their comics directly from US distributors like Diamond. 

My local FP gets them on the same day as the US release. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

About ten stores scattered across the country is what's considered to be "tons" now?

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

My local FP gets them on the same day as the US release. 

Yeah, misspoke. What I meant is if you go and buy them from stores, it's the same day as US release. If you get postal subscriptions, it's a few days after release.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm a little nervous about how Sega will treat IDW. I know their a confident publisher and have made great series, but Sonic might not be as nostalgic enough as TMNT, Transformers, Godzilla, etc. nor in vogue like MLP. I'm afraid the comic will still be soulless. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Ernest-Panda said:

About ten stores scattered across the country is what's considered to be "tons" now?

Well, several megastores, and they're present in multiple countries too :U.

• Thumbs Up 3

I...honestly am gonna wait for more info.

I'm not gonna get excited for now.

Since this is a "new series", that may mean that everything that's not in the games is gone.

That may include the Hooligans, Mighty & Ray, and Honey.

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, Arranos said:

I...honestly am gonna wait for more info.

I'm not gonna get excited for now.

Since this is a "new series", that may mean that everything that's not in the games is gone.

That may include the Hooligans, Mighty & Ray, and Honey.

Me too, in fact I'm a bit fearful that IDW would make it a lifeless, generic licensed comic akin to long-dead comics based on stuff like Care Bears. (They have done that, with Angry Birds and Skylanders).

• Thumbs Up 2