Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

14 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

Edit: The description mentions Rouge And the Chaotix too.

Where does it mention Rouge?

On 3/19/2018 at 5:48 PM, knuckles20 said:

There’s no reason they can’t do both. Not trying to start anything but I find it odd you perceive SEGA having an overall preference for newcomers over long time fans given their recent tactics. 

I mean outside of Mania (Which was produced by indie developers hired by Sega), they haven't released much in the last few years other than the BOOM games (Only the third was really good) and Forces, which seemed to point towards people are not fans yet but they hope will soo be.

8 hours ago, antyep said:

Oh yeah, I remember that Nigel would let Flynn use the Metallix plot, but Sega only wants Metal Sonic to stay singular; just one Metal Sonic.

Which is kind of a shame because you could easily tie Metallix into Neo Metal/Metal Overlord. He could as said use other Robot Sonics as his legion and boom you got an epic story.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Sheesh, it looks like Flynn's first priority is to push characters as fast as possible, in a way that results in minimal hate-mail.

Step 1: Start with Amy, Knuckles and other essential.
Step 2: Add Blaze to apologize for her absence in Forces and new character before some accuses you for lack of anything new.
Step 3: Quickly add Shadow before his fandom burns something and balance him with Chaotix, for those who prefer goofier characters.
Step 4: Big the Cat (you know, probably)
Step 5: Keep going like this till hell freezes or comic cancellation.

• Nice Smile 1

Perhaps it's to establish the universe, and then introduce new deep lore and characters special to the IDW comic.

I noticed that each issue has an artist, and not each arc:

Issue 1: Tracey Yardley

Issue 2: Adam Bryce Thomas

Issue 3: Jen Hernandez

Issue 4: Evan Stanley

Issue 5: Jamal Peppers

Issue 6: Tracey Yardley

I wonder if they will keep it like that

It's still the first 6 issues.

27 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sheesh, it looks like Flynn's first priority is to push characters as fast as possible, in a way that results in minimal hate-mail.

Step 2: Add Blaze to apologize for her absence in Forces and new character before some accuses you for lack of anything new.
Step 3: Quickly add Shadow before his fandom burns something and balance him with Chaotix, for those who prefer goofier characters.
Step 5: Keep going like this till hell freezes or comic cancellation.

I suspect FFs instead of Big. Given he’s already got Twitter to be a star on.

It seems like a sensible approach to rapidly introduce the major Sonic characters and establish how they fit into the world of the new comic series.  That gives more leeway to take time off from them when they're less relevant in the future, or alternatively give them ongoing plot threads which result in regular appearances.  It's conceivable that, rather than the series being structured around shorter Archie-style arcs, the new story might be composed of many ongoing strands which frequently interweave, providing a "little but often" approach to character representation rather than "lots but rarely."

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Which is kind of a shame because you could easily tie Metallix into Neo Metal/Metal Overlord. He could as said use other Robot Sonics as his legion and boom you got an epic story.

He could specify them as MECHA Sonics, which is okay. Or just “Robo Sonics”, “Silver Sonics”, etc.

• Nice Smile 1

Shadow? So soon...

I thought we would get some more time with the main cast before we got to the randomness with convoluted plot that is Shadow. I can only hope he's actually interesting this time around but I won't hold my breath. Butting in on Sonics first showdown with Eggman in the new comic isn't a good start tho..

Man , I didn't think we'd see Shadow so soon. I think Flynn wants to get the main cast solidified ASAP so we can get to a riveting story arc.

Soon? Issue 6 is quite late, I thought Ian would want to introduce the (former?) resistance immediately, instead we are getting a slow approach of few characters debut per issue.

Oh, also, the description mentions something: apparently they are building towards a bigger arc for 2019, like Ian said in the past.

Hey I'm down for a more rapid-fire approach if it means the Babylon Rogues don't end up screwed out of appearing in it even once. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

Three months in is pretty darn fast by comic standards. Altho #1-4 all come out in a month which is also fast, what would be four months is now one.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't expect to see shadow for like... a year. Ok, guess we going for a "kitchen sink, establish everything we can. Also use them to negotiate more books" approach

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

It seems like a sensible approach to rapidly introduce the major Sonic characters and establish how they fit into the world of the new comic series.  That gives more leeway to take time off from them when they're less relevant in the future, or alternatively give them ongoing plot threads which result in regular appearances.  It's conceivable that, rather than the series being structured around shorter Archie-style arcs, the new story might be composed of many ongoing strands which frequently interweave, providing a "little but often" approach to character representation rather than "lots but rarely."

My complaint about this has generally been its easier for some characters than others. 

Well see what happens though, 

Just now, Marco9966 said:

Do you think Sonic will have to save Eggman from Shadow?

" Murdering is bad shadow " 

" He said chili cheese dogs were wack " 

".... I am conflicted " 

• Chuckle 7

I'm loving the cover art tho, the expressions are great! Eggman doing the old "L" for loser sign etc too. It seems we are getting a continuation of the expressive cast from the post reboot era of Archie and the Mega Drive issues which is all good in my book. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'know, of all the things we saw until now, my main complain would be the logo, the one they used before would look so much better.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

I mean shadow is the second most popular character regardless if some want to admit it. I would not say it's soon. Only reason we didn't see him earlier in books was the fact he didn't exist.

Apologies for the extra post. Just gettin caught up and had to reply rapid-fire.

17 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

The question didn't say. Just some Fleetway things. Ian DID mention that he really wants to use the Metallix, and he has permission from Nigel Kitching to use them.

Yeah, that was in an earlier episode.

You know, the Brotherhood of Metallix is a concept that I recall knowing about but like most things in STC, never bothered learning about until Mr. Flynn basically blew my mind there.

15 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

If Fleetway characters make it in, that would be one hell of a revival. Although I doubt it would happen.

If they do tho, I could definitely see that as a sign that Fleetway characters aren’t the only things that might make a return in the possible future. 

And that's why I have a neutrally raised eyebrow on the notion.

15 hours ago, Pengi said:

Sonic Mania offers a compelling workaround. 

I really did like that section of the boss design.

7 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I remember potentially being a little surprised they didn't just have him show up in Issue 4; funny how that worked out.

7 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Maybe Shadow will end up trying to kill the doctor and Sonic has to intervene. 

So kinda like the Home Arc then?

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It's essentially Countdown to Chaos and a bit of Pirate Plunder Panic again.

Which I'm still waitin and seein on

Lol, what? :lol: 

3 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

I suspect FFs instead of Big. Given he’s already got Twitter to be a star on.

...The what now?

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

It probably helps that most of these characters are already well established and don't need much if any re-contextualizing.

3 hours ago, Tenko said:

Shadow? So soon...

I thought we would get some more time with the main cast before we got to the randomness with convoluted plot that is Shadow. I can only hope he's actually interesting this time around but I won't hold my breath. Butting in on Sonics first showdown with Eggman in the new comic isn't a good start tho..

Kinda sounds like the Tangle>Blaze issue

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Hey I'm down for a more rapid-fire approach if it means the Babylon Rogues don't end up screwed out of appearing in it even once. 

Ah, someone actually anticipating them! 

Then again, they never did get more than a mention by BattleLord Kukku in the New252, didn't they?

2 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

idw_sonic_issue_6_cover.png

I've put the full thing on the main site. 

That cover is amazing.

That Death Egg Dragoon is an interesting compromise as well. Kinda wish we had that in Forces proper.

• Nice Smile 1

9 variants. For the first fucking issue. Dear god, this is going to be a pain for collectors...

• Thumbs Up 1