Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, SaberX said:

So they can give me whatever the answer as long they're not rude? Well, nice.

Nobody is obligated to give you the answers that you want or deem correct. And if you don't like their answers then you're free to not respond to them and act like a jackass towards them.

Also you can officially drop it.

• Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, SaberX said:

And then we're back in the main point. Whats the point of answering if you don't really want to even answer?

I think the worst offender in the whole story is you. Instead of seeing the wide picture, you just go straight to "uh you're rude" and "you don't have stomach". Someone could ask something like "hey, do anybody here know when they gonna launch the next issue?" and then a guy with no interest to answer goes by saying "when it releases". He is not being rude in this case either . Does that means he needs to be like that? Do I have to answer something I got no interest? Just move on and let someone else answer then.

You were told to drop this as this has nothing to do with the topic at hand and is derailing it and we don’t take either obnoxiousness nor insubordination towards Staff lightly. For this you can have a strike.

We are going to tell you once again to drop it and get back on topic in a calm and constructive manner as opposed to throwing temper tantrums if you choose to post here. Otherwise you will get another strike and a lengthy suspension to go with it. That’s enough.

• Thumbs Up 9

I wonder what's the point of Blaze being in the issue. It looks like the first few issue is going to be a "Sonic and [one game character], plus background and maybe a villain" format, but Blaze is from another dimension and the book is currently in a post-Forces setting. Doesn't help they have to fit whatever they're doing in a single issue.

Maybe because Tangle isn't enough to support the issue? Or because the first three issues was too similar and they needed a breath of fresh air?

Just now, KoDaiko said:

I wonder what's the point of Blaze being in the issue. It looks like the first few issue is going to be a "Sonic and [one game character], plus background and maybe a villain" format, but Blaze is from another dimension and the book is currently in a post-Forces setting. Doesn't help they have to fit whatever they're doing in a single issue.

Maybe because Tangle isn't enough to support the issue? Or because the first three issues was too similar and they needed a breath of fresh air?

Hopefully, it's the latter.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

I honestly wish they had at least focused on Blaze first and had Tangle turn up near the end to make this a two-parter, if that's the case.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

I honestly wish they had at least focused on Blaze first and had Tangle turn up near the end to make this a two-parter, if that's the case.

This pretty much. It feels like they're scrambling to squeeze as much content into the first month as possible to make sure they have a full twelve issues this year while justifying having four issues in one month. Sure we've had some good moments but the sparsity of something solid to cling onto and lack of world building to focus on characters feels like they have a bigger story coming up that they want to focus on and are getting the major and minor player introductions out of the way as quickly as possible while playing the mystery card to keep us from noticing the scramble. It's why I'm looking forward to the switch to monthly format (even as  I dread the month long wait between issues) as it will relieve Ian Flynn of the sever boundaries around the Fallout Arc and let him spread out a little and take his time. At that point I feel like these quick character introductions will pay off as we'll have a grasp of the IDW relationships between them and their characterization so we can simply concentrate on the story that Flynn will be unfurling. In other words, I'm actually waiting for things to slow down a little so that it has time to grow properly.

By the way, I thought 4 issues in a month would be too much for readers and it would hurt the book, guess I was wrong, they are successful and I don't mind it considering the pace of the narrative is slow, it's probably meant to set up things and be a 4 part introduction story, next months (according to the solicits) things seem to take a major turn.

Here's something I forgot to put out there now that Issue 3 is out:

Spoiler

Do you think the mystery Chairman running Eggman's Empire in his disappearance is the same new villain that Rough and Tumble might end up working for?

If so, then here's the real query: how exactly do you imagine they would correlate with said villain from any facet?

• Chuckle 1

All I know is i hope we see more of issues 2 artist in the future. Hell even eggmans chair looked so much better detailed in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

All I know is i hope we see more of issues 2 artist in the future. Hell even eggmans chair looked so much better detailed in it.

ABT is definitely the shining star of this series when it comes to art.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

Just now, Jack the Maniac said:

They also need to get Tyson Hesse to do pencils and not just covers.

yeah, his modern sonic looks pretty good.

And his Mega Drive drawings were SUPER dynamic and expressive and lively!

3 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

They confirmed that he's not doing any interior work.

What about Diana Skelly??

I'd like a Sonic Universe book! Where different writers write their favorite characters (Yardley for Babylon Rogues, Evan Stanley for Silver...).

If a Sonic Universe is ever made, do you think we'd get arcs with non-game characters as main characters?

Here's why I think that the "Hooligans" reference is more than just an Easter egg.
1. I think SEGA knows the reference to them. They still monitored the comic in it's Post-Reboot, back when they were still called the Hooligans. Also, ever since Ian wrote them that way in the comics, Bark and Bean were portrayed as bad guys, while in the past, they were established as good.
2. Sonic didn't just mention "a bunch of hooligans." He clearly said THE Hooligans. As in, Fang's gang. They clearly exist in this Modern universe.
3. The Hooligans are some of Ian's favorite characters to write.

I'm starting to think the only ones that are really "classic-locked" is Mighty and Ray, and that's because of Mania Plus.

8 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I'm starting to think the only ones that are really "classic-locked" is Mighty and Ray, and that's because of Mania Plus.

The main reason this book exists is to advertise the games, which is why they aren't allowed to advertise us the nearest upcoming game.

Sega is master of business decisions.

• Chuckle 2

1 minute ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

The main reason this book exists is to advertise the games, which is why they aren't allowed to advertise us the nearest upcoming game.

Don't put that thought in my head that this is a cash-grab. I'm still hoping it'll be like Archie: It's own story, and not just made to advertise games.

36 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Here's why I think that the "Hooligans" reference is more than just an Easter egg.
1. I think SEGA knows the reference to them. They still monitored the comic in it's Post-Reboot, back when they were still called the Hooligans. Also, ever since Ian wrote them that way in the comics, Bark and Bean were portrayed as bad guys, while in the past, they were established as good.
2. Sonic didn't just mention "a bunch of hooligans." He clearly said THE Hooligans. As in, Fang's gang. They clearly exist in this Modern universe.
3. The Hooligans are some of Ian's favorite characters to write.

12 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I would imagine SEGA put them on hold to show IDW what Mighty and Ray will be like in the context of Mania Plus in order to set the stage for a "proper" characterization of the two.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jack the Maniac said:

I think the only thing stoppinghim is that he's busy. I think he's still doing Desiel right?

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

I think the only thing stoppinghim is that he's busy. I think he's still doing Desiel right?

Plus Mania Adventures.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really enjoyed all 3 issues so far, with my favorite being #2 for that groundbreaking depiction of Amy Rose and her relationship with Sonic in general. It is SO refreshing to see her written so well after so much inconsistency throughout the years. Loved the Sonic and Knuckles banter in issue 3 and I love Rough and Tumble so far for their goofy Team Rocket-like feel. This comic really feels accurate and true to the source material on top of everything and I love how it feels connected to the game canon. It's like a well-written extension to the games, and I view that as a good thing. 

I wish Adam Bryce Thomas could do the interior art far more regularly because his work is just phenomenal. If he did the art for every issue, I certainly wouldn't complain because it's just that good. That being said, I loved the art for the 1st and 3rd issues as well and it is still a lot of fun comparing the different styles and getting different takes so long as they still fit Sonic, and so far they have.

I can't wait to see Blaze again as well as meet Tangle in #4! I'm a tad disappointed there's not a more exciting RI-B cover for this one though. I love Hesse's promo art, but I would've preferred an original piece since the first 3 issues all had more original covers. A small gripe overall though. I can't wait to collect each cover. It's been fun getting these weekly. 

• Nice Smile 1

7 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Might explain their success with the Dreamcast and the Saturn.

Don't mind me. I just wanted to make a funny. :lol:

20 minutes ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Might explain their success with the Dreamcast and the Saturn.

Aside note, the Saturn's failure was the terrible marketing in the West (and no Sonic game), and the Dreamcast's failure was the Playstation 2 launching as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just read issue 3, definitely the best one so far lots of fan service and wisps. Rough and Tumble were just as I expected , very much reminded me of Bebop and Rocksteady from TMNT. Great issue.

• Thumbs Up 1