Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Through what service are you getting the digital issues? I use the IDW app for digital copies, but they’ve never uploaded anything early.

25 minutes ago, Jack the Maniac said:

He said play store, I also bought it there... nothing so far.

Might be a regional issue.

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

Might be a regional issue.

Might be that, any Brazilian folks with the same luck?

5 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

I somehow got issue 4 today, I don't know how but whatever, this comic was awesome.

Blaze was in no way overshadowed by Tangle, and Tangle was just a really cool character, I don't know how to explain her personality, but is great. Blaze's characterization is also on point.

Overall, just as good as the second issue. 10/10 by me.

Screenshot_2018-04-24-13-21-36.png

This expression justmakes me love her more. Here's hoping she keeps showing up.

5 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Blaze is made of fire, there's no way she could be overshadowed by anyone...

Except...Big the Cat and Vector and other taller characters...

Now she just needs a reason for being here...

*Ba-Dum-Tish*

7 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

I somehow got issue 4 today, I don't know how but whatever, this comic was awesome.

Blaze was in no way overshadowed by Tangle, and Tangle was just a really cool character, I don't know how to explain her personality, but is great. Blaze's characterization is also on point.

Soooo... anything new and interesting? Maaaaaybe a little different structure than the previous 3? Anything about the mystery villain? I must have da spoilerz.

13 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Soooo... anything new and interesting? Maaaaaybe a little different structure than the previous 3? Anything about the mystery villain? I must have da spoilerz.

Spoiler

The structure is the same, Tangle somehow got really surprised when Sonic mentioned the Sol Emeralds. Something is fishy. Blaze herself came to this dimension because the Sol Emeralds somehow warned her. Seven months late as Sonic said.

Also we don't see the mystery villain, but we see Eggman... And he is... In a village's... house... Watching a kid. Huh.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:
  Reveal hidden contents

The structure is the same, Tangle somehow got really surprised when Sonic mentioned the Sol Emeralds. Something is fishy. Blaze herself came to this dimension because the Sol Emeralds somehow warned her. Seven months late as Sonic said.

Also we don't see the mystery villain, but we see Eggman... And he is... In a village's... house... Watching a kid. Huh.

Anything else to point out? :3

7 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Very unlike how she was described.

7 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Good for you.

You almost seem like you're jealous, for some reason. :smile: 

7 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:
  Hide contents

...What.  What?! :lol:

9 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Does it explain why Blaze didn't appear in Forces?

Managed to read the issue. It was alright, I guess.

That ending was kinda peculiar, tho.

24 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

Sorta.

I wonder if we'll ever get an age for Tangle. She seems to be Sonic's age, if not slightly younger.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably older than Amy and safely into Blaze teenager territory. 13 just for yuks.

Just now, Sega DogTagz said:

I wonder if we'll ever get an age for Tangle. She seems to be Sonic's age, if not slightly younger.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably older than Amy and safely into Blaze teenager territory. 13 just for yuks.

Actually, Ian confirmed this today.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

Oh cool. Thx.

That makes her a senior to both Amy and Blaze. Hmm, the only main cast female that outranks her in age is Rouge. Interesting.

52 minutes ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

In a roundabout way, yes.

Spoiler

Basically, she had no way of knowing something really bad was going down in Sonic's world. In this issue, she shows up because the Sol Emeralds let her know that her presence would be needed*, and she's uh...pretty shocked to find out about everything that happened months earlier. 

*Side note: IIRC that was roughly the same reason for her appearance in...Colours DS I think?

• Thumbs Up 5

3 hours ago, JosepHenry said:
  Reveal hidden contents

God of War sounds awesome. 

• Chuckle 2

15 minutes ago, Celestia said:

In a roundabout way, yes.

Hide contents

Basically, she had no way of knowing something really bad was going down in Sonic's world. In this issue, she shows up because the Sol Emeralds let her know that her presence would be needed*, and she's uh...pretty shocked to find out about everything that happened months earlier. 

*Side note: IIRC that was roughly the same reason for her appearance in...Colours DS I think?

Even though I get the feeling she did jacksquat in that game.

She did about as much as anyone else in "that" game...

The Sol Emeralds warned her about an amusement park...

• Chuckle 1

43 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

She did about as much as anyone else in "that" game...

The Sol Emeralds warned her about an amusement park...

And a birthday party

• Chuckle 1

Issue 4 was pretty good. I liked the action, and interactions between Sonic and Blaze. Tangle was a pretty fun character. I also liked all the silly faces the characters made throughout the issue.

My only complaint is that besides introducing Tangle, and bringing back Blaze, I feel like nothing new really happened. Although many criticized last week's issue, at least more happened than just Sonic running into Knuckles. In episode 3, we were introduced to 2 new villains, and saw Sonic and Knuckles free a bunch of villagers and wisps. In this week's issue, all that really happened was Sonic meets Tangle, Blaze appears, they fight some robots, and that's really it. 

Issue 4 was still fun, but I wish a little more happened.

Spoiler

Eggman does show up at the end, but it was very brief.

...all the silly faces the characters made throughout the issue.

How weird for Sonic to give "cat smile" to a cat...

I'll break it down into pros and cons, it sorta didn't meet my expectations.

Spoiler

Pro:

+ Fight choreography is really good, I also enjoyed those battleships and huge motobugs.

+ ... Part of that was the tail jump of Sonic and Blaze from Tangle's tail, that was really fun

+ Blaze is staying, yes!

+ Blaze really shines and didn't just cameo to prioritize Tangle

+ No chairman appearance, I'd say it was getting old, didn't expect Eggman and this cliffhanger, while random, is a nice change of pace

+ I really liked the art here, nice job Evan!

Con:

- Tangle is just another Sonic character, she's a bit like Sonic but I'd say normal, nothing exciting

- Story doesn't progress and the formula is basically the same, we didn't get world building either

- No interaction fun that I hoped for, I mean, the Sonic-Tangle interaction was fine, and so was Sonic-Blaze, but I was expecting more of a dynamic from Blaze-Tangle (I wanted a ship, why no ship Ian :cry:)

- I was hoping Blaze would give us some hint about chairman, but nothing... I was also hoping for some subplots to be opened with Blaze or Tangle, about their possible mission, it just didn't give me what I wanted

So it's good and simple (again), but not good enough for my demands. Next time should be exciting as we break this formula!

7 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Sorta.

The explanation of Blaze's absence always seemed to be a bit of a given. Arbitrary but sure, a playable hand.

If I was to find something to be miffed about, where was Cream? Sure Sonic Team's use of her would leave much to be desired for some, but that's an excuse not an explanation, and let's face it Forces was clearly trying to be about the story. For a character whose purpose is (apparently) to play foil to Amy, and wanting to help everyone and anyone regardless of the situation, she was inexplicably absent. I'm curious to see if and when Ian Flynn cooks up an answer for that.

Or if he's forced to cook up some weird 5 minute excuse due to the weird restrictions he apparently gets on some characters.

I'm a sucker for the background details, for sure.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ok, just finished #4. Hold to your chairs, cause I'm going to spoil you everything!!!! Ready?

....It's just like previous issues. Great artwork, cute interactions ( I liked "need rest" joke), smashing bots and nothing f%#&-ing else.

You might think "ooo but we're gonna meet Tangle". Frankly, if you followed social media and preview pages, you know everything about her.

At the end of a day, those 4 issues are good at their own, but grouped together I'm kinda insulted Flynn repeated same story four times with different bells and whistles and we're suppose to be cool with that. I'll go into more details, but it's gonna be a lot of rambling, so feel free to skip it if you're not in a mood.

Spoiler

I think my biggest gripe with this "exiting new world" is how incredibly repetitive it was. I get it, Flynn wants to start small. Fiiiiiine, but give us variety.

Same-y looking cities, same badniks, same plot. I get that in video game your resources are limited, but in comics there is no reason to fill whole issue with Egg Pawns. Where are other classic badniks? Heck, where Egg Pawn variants? I want those silly clowns from Shadow the Game, they were awesome. Cities could been different as well. Why issue 3 can't take place in cool looking factory? Or issue 2nd be about mobians running towards a city, through a cool looking forest?

It's funny that 3rd issue got slack for boring villains, when comparing to other issues, Rough & Tumble are breath of fresh air (... bad phrasing on my part). I'm not saying this issue was better, but if all issues had different threat, I might've been more forgiving. Speaking of new characters, Rough & Tumble  are 2-dimentional punks, barely a threat... and that's fine, cause that was the idea. I don't mind them, I'm just wondering what's their role. Hooligans, Babylon Rouges or even Jackal Squad can easily to the same job, only better. Looking at other continuities we have Sleet & Dingo (underground) or Destructix (archie), Nasty Hyenas (satam). Rough & Tumble don't bring much new to the table all I'm saying.
As for Tangle she's certainly adorable...if lacking in  background. Sonic is a hero, Chaotix are detectives, Relic is archeologist, Honey is cloth designer. Tangle is.... can we distract you her tail a bit longer? And don't tell Sonic cast has more 'nobodies'. Not everyone has job, but everyone has 'function' or story. Amy is Sonic #1 fangirl, Cream a polite young girl, Marine is a unstoppable flood of words, Tangle is... a teen? A fighter? A dude with attitude? Tomboy? I know, let's look at her tail again!

Lastly, we all know that Flynn loves seeding plot points for future...so why it's missing here? Aside for "chairman/eggman" thing there is no Honey ads at the buildings, no Undina walking in the background or someone mentioning off-handily Razor's backstory. Again, Flynn  painted very dull universe so far. How hard it would be to slap logo on Wispons Factory, to foreshadow a evil corporation?  Or have Amy/Knux mention "Sonic, resistance could use your help with Operation BlaBla" to have us guess what Resistance is actually doing.

If all of my complains look petty to you, it's because they are. But what else can I suggest to improve such a simple scripts? If you check my previous posts you may notice I made prediction about plot of issue 2. Got 80% right. I also listed 3 things I hope will happen in #4. None of them did (1 bigger challenge than dozen badniks, 2 any movement on Chairman mystery 3 " There is a reason why Blaze is here. Not excuse. A reason. She didn't fall through Genesis Portal or came to visit, something is actually happening." to quote myself. "Stones told me to come" is vague as heck. As much as... well, a mysterious guy sitting on Eggman chair.)
In other words, my petty complains cumulate, failing to distract me from bigger picture.

To conclude this overlong rant of the fanboy, so far IDW just lack selling point. Is like a a bread, maybe with a som butter butter. Yes it's a fresh baked bread, served on a silver plate and waiter was just so nice to me, but Chaos damn it, it's just a bread! Archie had more stuff happening, Preboot Archie had WAY more things happening. Mega Drive had insanely cute artwork, crossovers with Megaman had... well, Megaman. What those issues have to offer than all of those comics didn't offer?

To not end on a downer note, I do believe things can only get better from here. After 10+ years of Flynn, I more-less know his way of thinking. It might take a bit longer, maybe even rest of a years, but Flynn will build on this humble foundation as he did many times before.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just read the issue. I liked it (just like the previous 3), but yeah, all the issues were overall pretty repetitive.

Like, I can summarize all 4 issues in one paragraph

Spoiler

Sonic comes to the place he needs to rescue, he smashes some robots, an amigo (or amigoes in this instance) arrives to help, smash some more robots, they talk about how badniks got more organized, maybe smash some more robots, then Sonic fucks off. At the end we have a villain tease (except for this issue, this time we got Eggman). That's it.

While I understand why these 4 issues are like that, it overall felt a smidge bit lackluster. Not to say they're trash or anything, but there's also nothing, well, eye-catching right now. I hope this was the last issue that's gone through the same formula and we break from it.

Also I still don't know what to make of Tangle, this issue didn't really help much to establish her on what she actually is. Like, I feel like she's another "Sonic" when it comes to personality,

The art tho... hoo boy is it great, some of my favourite! It has this:

Spoiler

7ff92ee867334902.PNG

And this:

Spoiler

f35f457101ce4842.PNG

in the same comic. Love it! Perfection, 10/10, 100/100!

• Thumbs Up 4