Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

30 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

@Mayor D I am one? I am what exactly?

You said please don't hurt me. So that was the first image which came to mind.

28 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Only if they want to prove they are not a liscensor worthwhile for publishers to mess with. Again its a 2-way street that involves communication & compromise.  Publishers have said no to Disney before and SEGA is no Disney.   Just sayin.

The Disney comparison has no relation to anything.

The fact is Sega owns a can and can't for Sonic and it a pretty strict these days. Just last week we found out there can only be 2 inventors in Sonics world. Tails and Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Mayor D said:

You said please don't hurt me. So that was the first image which came to mind.

Very funny, wise guy!

So, I wonder, what kinds of new characters could we see in the new IDW series? I am excited to see who may be made for the comics and what role they will have in the comics.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, The KKM said:

How've they loosened up? IDW's still highly restricted in what they can do, and they don't even make new comics, just reprint foreign ones!

Ducktales is all new.  Tangled is all new.  They let Joe Books take a fan made Disney Princess comic and rework it into a legit liscensed product.  So I would say yes, yes they have.

Also those attacking the FF.  You say the book has no obligation to please old fans.  Well it has no obligation to please thd nay sayers either.  So yea, we won't know anything specific for awhile and the books won't be out till 2018.  So again just have to see which way the dice roll. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, CrystalStorm51 said:

Very funny, wise guy!

So, I wonder, what kinds of new characters could we see in the new IDW series? I am excited to see who may be made for the comics and what role they will have in the comics.

That's what I'm concerned about. I'm worried about whether the new characters will be actually worthwhile or only liked ironically.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ducktales is new on highly restricted guidelines from the animated cartoon and with the art being done by a specific foreign Disney Studio, all to ensure the identity remains to Disney's pleasure.

Jesus fuck man, if you really think what Disney gives is freedom, you should LOVE how SEGA treated the comic recently in terms of mandates, because it gets nowhere close.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 minute ago, The KKM said:

Ducktales is new on highly restricted guidelines from the animated cartoon and with the art being done by a specific foreign Disney Studio, all to ensure the identity remains to Disney's pleasure.

Jesus fuck man, if you really think what Disney gives is freedom, you should LOVE how SEGA treated the comic recently in terms of mandates, because it gets nowhere close.

Speaking of Disney, whatever was the story behind the Ducktales/Darkwing Duck crossover? I've heard about it a few times, but never actually heard the story behind the mess.

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

Just announced at comic con

Official statement 

I'm glad we have a new publisher. :)

• Thumbs Up 6

1 minute ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Also those attacking the FF.  You say the book has no obligation to please old fans.  Well it has no obligation to please thd nay sayers either.  

Erm... that's not what people opposed to Archie cast returning are saying.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Speaking of Disney, whatever was the story behind the Ducktales/Darkwing Duck crossover? I've heard about it a few times, but never actually heard the story behind the mess.

They went ahead and did the crossover without actually getting permission from Disney. Disney wasn't happy with it. As far as they're concerned, the crossover doesn't exist.

• Thumbs Up 6

if a sonic/MLP crossover actually happens i swear to god i'm going to quit everything and leave this planet because no

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah the comparison between Disney and SEGA in terms of comics isn't quite fair. For one, Walt Disney's Comics & Stories has small stories independent of each other with maybe a few arcs, with no real continuity. They kept the numbering because I believe it was the longest running comic in America ever at over 700 issues. Also Disney is so strict in America that they have to censor the reprints of the European comics IDW makes.

But yeah with SEGA I'm not too concerned on mandates. Ian made it work very well, and I'm pretty sure the game cast will be extensive enough for the first few story arcs. No doubt they'll be allowed to create new characters like how they did with Archie after the reboot. If the Freedom Fighters don't come back, I will miss them but then again this is supposed to be a new take on the series so it would make sense to not have them. Also it'd keep away any confusion people might have of thinking it's an odd continuation to the old comics or cartoon. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Mayor D said:

Erm... that's not what people opposed to Archie cast returning are saying.

Pretty much.  You are saying screw the people who are fans of a group of characters they grew up reading just because they aren't in the modern Sonic games.

Anywho I have no time for haters tonight.  I'm just happy about this news and look forward to picking up a quality Sonic comic from IDW with all SEGA & SATAM characters intact come 2018! 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

I hope you're ready for this crossover. IT'S GONNA FUCKING HAPPEN!

MLP02.jpg

Okay we know Equestria-hog's is gonna happen it's just a matter of when. Will it happen before or after Sonic crosses over with RL Stines Goosebumps books?

Suddenly Puppet Panic zone takes on an entirely new and sinister meaning

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, The KKM said:

They went ahead and did the crossover without actually getting permission from Disney. Disney wasn't happy with it. As far as they're concerned, the crossover doesn't exist.

To the point where it wasn't even reprinted in the Darkwing Duck: The Definitively Dangerous Edition

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

How exactly? Your entire point is you don't want to deal with the baggage of Archie. Alright, fine, drop the baggage and simply reintroduce the characters in a new way at some later point down the line.

Again, the baggage is not just about what is canon, it's about what is in people's heads. You cannot so easily separate your understanding of the character "Sally Acorn" from her appearances in over two decades of the Archieverse.

3 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Again, this is like saying Knuckles shouldn't have been in Post-Reboot Archie because he lost all of the baggage gained from Penders. 

Knuckles is a core Sonic character. He's within the top 5 core characters. He exists before and independent of Penders' fuckery. It would be strange for any Sonic-based series to not include him.

The Freedom Fighters are not core Sonic characters at all. There should be no inherent expectation for them to appear in any other work.

And what would the point of that be if they ever decided "Huh, we want to introduce this character similar to Sally for a story, let's make an expy!".

Well, they wouldn't have Sally fans breathing down their necks, expecting IDW-Sally to conform to their expectations of the character based on Archie-Sally. They'd be free to design and develop the character exactly to the needs of the story they were writing. But if they really need "Sally" that desperately they can take that risk.

Like, for a concrete example, I doubt Sega's going to go for any Sonic x Sally will-they-or-won't-they romance. So if they brought Sally into the IDWverse, that part wouldn't come along. Without that, is it still Sally? Is that actually going to make Sally fans happy? Or would they feel like they're getting a raw deal, like they were tricked into getting excited over what turned out to be a fake Sally? This is a concern worth taking seriously, and it's not one that I would want a new comic to invite on itself.

Not to mention if they made new characters, that'd just be creating "new baggage" to distract from the SEGA cast, would it not?

Not if they're actually good and well-integrated into the comic.

Except it isn't? I'm not asking for a repeat of Archie.

No, but you're asking for time spent on these characters because of a completely separate comic ending. And I don't think those kinds of expectations are good for a new comic to work under.

It might not be what you want, but going down the route of absolute "this shit should never in the comic or it's instant ruined" is just silly in my eyes.

Ah yes, that thing I didn't say. What I did say is that I think it would be harmful and that I, personally, would probably not be interested in the comic because of it, not that it'd automatically be a failure because of it.

Introducing the FF and other Sonic characters down the line isn't going to suddenly wipe away focus from the SEGA cast, it isn't going to suddenly become "The Freedom Fighters guest staring Sonic". It's a compromise for both sides. Sides that enjoys the characters and the others that don't.

Don't like the Freedom Fighters? Fine, you'll have plenty of stories without them, and they won't be a focus anymore. But fans of that cast would at least be happy to know they're still in this universe, even if Sonic and co aren't active members of the FF and don't fight alongside them a lot, it'd still be a nice nod to them and compromise to everyone to have them be implied active while Sonic and his cast/friends are about on their adventures.

Compromise, compromise, compromise, it's not like this argument determines anything about what the comic will actually be. There's no pressure on me to compromise. I'll change my mind if I'm actually given reason to believe I'm wrong.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, SonicComicFanboy said:

Pretty much.  You are saying screw the people who are fans of a group of characters they grew up reading just because they aren't in the modern Sonic games.

...No... I'm pretty sure the argument is thay we want new sonic stories which focus on the Sonic characters without all the baggage of the other comic being brought in.

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

if a sonic/MLP crossover actually happens i swear to god i'm going to quit everything and leave this planet because no

How are you going to leave this planet exactly? Catch a flight to Mars or something? :P Sorry, I had to say that.

There is one cool thing about this series. IDW did a series a while back called Deviations, in which they were What-If stories based around certain franchises. For example, TMNT had one based on it's City Fall arc (In the arc, Leo got brainwashed by Shredder into thinking he was a foot clan ninja and was set loose to try kill his brothers and Splinter). It's deviation was one where all four turtles got brainwashed and the city got completely taken over by Shredder, while Splinter desperate tries to escape from his own sons.

Ghostbusters also had a cool one where the Ghostbusters never crossed their streams to destroy Gozer at the end of the film, therefore the entire world goes to hell, ghosts invade New York, and the Ghostbusters are down on their luck and desperate to survive while Gozer attempts to convince them to help because Gozer realises staying in the body of the Stake Puff Marshmallow Man wasn't the brightest idea.

So I'm excited and hopeful that if they ever do a second round of these comics, Sonic could get an interesting one. Like for example - What if Sonic didn't escape the pod in SA2, or what if Eggman managed to get away with the Master Emerald and powered the Death Egg Mark II with it? 

• Thumbs Up 9

4 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

DFTPrdXVoAE8is6.jpg

Ok so here's my stance on it. I want IDW to focus to on the game charters and also take some creative liberties with the book instead of just being 1:1 game centric. They should have their own identity while respecting the original property. I don't think I'm asking for much I just want fun Sonic comics at the end of the day. Also let's be real here when this book sells well(and it will) we're most likely gonna get a sonic spinoff book which focuses on everybody else except Sonic.  

Have a good feeling that's what we're going to get at least. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

...No... I'm pretty sure the argument is thay we want new sonic stories which focus on the Sonic characters without all the baggage of the other comic being brought in.

Maybe people don't consider their favorite characters baggage

But hey if you want simple and clean they should also ignore the baggage the games have put on the franchise since adventure and just do a Megadrive ongoing only using classic characters.  Simple, clean & repetative.  No edgelords like Shadow or infinite to way them down.  No time traving shenanigans with silver or dimension breaking with blaze. No useless chars like Omega or Rouge, no need to develop stories or characters beyond your typical sunday morning news comic strip.  That would make a great ongoing series for sure! 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

Maybe people don't consider their favorite characters baggage

But hey if you want simple and clean they should also ignore the baggage the games have put on the franchise since adventure and just do a Megadrive ongoing only using classic characters.  Simple, clean & repetative.  No edgelords like Shadow or infinite to way them down.  No time traving shenanigans with silver or dimension breaking with blaze. No useless chars like Omega or Rouge, no need to develop stories or characters beyond your typical sunday morning news comic strip.  That would make a great ongoing series for sure! 

Getting really bitter and reductive over someone not wanting what you want isn't going to sway anyone to your side.

• Thumbs Up 4

You know they're just gonna make up their own unique characters that nobody's gonna like. 

Beware the Monkey's Paw

monkeykhan.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9