Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 hours ago, Candy Cane Ellipsis said:

Unless it's free comic book day related idk.

I doubt it. FCBD listings usually come out a lot closer to Christmas than this.

Actually I think someone else said that the solicit for at least the first issue might come out in March instead of April because it's out on the 4th, so it'll need to ship the week before to reach the shops in time.

Anyone hoping that the Hard Boiled heavies make an appearance in this new series? It would especially be fun to have them interact with Orbot and Cubot.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

Anyone hoping that the Hard Boiled heavies make an appearance in this new series? It would especially be fun to have them interact with Orbot and Cubot.

No thanks, I prefer villains with depth and/or fear factor instead.

8 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

No thanks, I prefer villains with depth and/or fear factor instead.

Yes, because Ian would totally not give them identifiable personalities and make them intimidating. I understand not liking them, but just because they were made like that in mania doesn't mean they'll be the same characters in a comic that focuses on story and characters.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1

Exactly, i can see Heavy King being a menacing character (maybe 'cause i find his design kind of similar to SatAM Robotnik's face) and Heavy Shinobi talking about patience and waiting for the right time to strike, the Heavies can be made into very interesting characters personality-wise.

• Thumbs Up 4

For classic sonic comics? Sure

Normal I don't think they fit, what the hard boiled heavies are... modern sonic and CO plow that shit. So yeah. Unless you made them kind of a joke

Or they first get smashed and Eggman makes some upgrades.

Oh, plot developed! Or something.

But then again, I'm sure Mr. Flynn would come up with like ~10 options what to do with them at least. It's mostly about what they can pull trough, more than what the writers can come up with. Writers as in I find it pretty possible there'd be others writing scripts too, not just Mr. Confirmed Already.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hard Boiled Heavies... In the comic universe they were made in their transformed states, so the Phantom Ruby stuff doesn't exist for them, thus they don't go insane. Before the E-Series started production, these Egg Robos were the Elite force of Eggman's army, commanding different territories in the ongoing quest for Eggman's rule.

Simple backstory, and though it might seem a bit weak to start off with their destruction, each could be placed in a specific arc suited to their appearance that ends with their defeat, but drives the story for Eggman to build the E-Series in the next set of story arcs. Obviously the last arc would feature Heavy King defending Eggman's current base of operations.

So, start with the introduction of the world and characters. Get a feeling for what the narrative dynamic will be for the series as a whole. Arc 1.
Bring in the first heavy as Sonic and co. defend against an attack. Each attack and each part of the world will be different. Arcs 2-5.
Sonic and co. learn of where Eggman is currently based, and drive him off, defeating Heavy King in the process. Arc 6.

Or, lump them all together in the introduction arc as Sonic and Tails storm an Eggman base.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 2

Characters I would love to see explored in the comic... Zavok and the Deadly Six under Ian and other competent writers' pen, Omega with his hilarious personality, Infinite which is cool since he already has an original backstory, Tikal and Chaos hopefully a bit more recurring this time, Sticks in the main universe (I can dream), and absolutely the Babylon Rogues, who were neglected in the Nu252 series.

The Hooligans and Hard Boiled Heavies, since they were in Sonic Mania, I suspect will be restricted to the "classic universe", that's just my assumption. I'd be kinda sad to see Nack, Bean and Bark only there, but to be fair, the "classic universe" does need a bigger cast than just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Dr. Eggman and Metal Sonic.

• Fist Bump 1

On 12/17/2017 at 4:01 AM, Dr. Jack said:

Characters I would love to see explored in the comic... Zavok and the Deadly Six under Ian and other competent writers' pen, Omega with his hilarious personality, Infinite which is cool since he already has an original backstory, Tikal and Chaos hopefully a bit more recurring this time, Sticks in the main universe (I can dream), and absolutely the Babylon Rogues, who were neglected in the Nu252 series.

The Hooligans and Hard Boiled Heavies, since they were in Sonic Mania, I suspect will be restricted to the "classic universe", that's just my assumption. I'd be kinda sad to see Nack, Bean and Bark only there, but to be fair, the "classic universe" does need a bigger cast than just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Dr. Eggman and Metal Sonic.

Thing is, there is no "classic universe." It's going to be under one universe and continuity, IIRC.

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Thing is, there is no "classic universe." It's going to be under one universe and continuity, IIRC.

Has that been confirmed?

2 hours ago, Razule said:

Has that been confirmed?

On the same day that Ian Flynn was announced as the lead writer, yes.

This comic is confirmed as strictly Modern Sonic. Although that's doesn't necessarily mean that the Hard Boiled Heavies can't play a part, since it was also confirmed that this comic can use any and all material from the games, possibly including non-canon games like Chronicles. Whether they do is up in the air tho.

Classic Sonic being an alternate Sonic instead of a past Sonic is a retcon that doesn't fit with the games from Adventure to Generation anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

- They said the comic is mostly Modern Sonic, but bits of Classic Sonic and Boom Sonic will be seen.

- The "classic universe" is a thing since Forces and Mania, the comic is based on the games so yeah, they will be respecting that.

But still, it's possible we may see the Hard Boiled Heavies and the Hooligans in the modern universe as well.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Leemour8r said:

Would IDW want to use Chronicles after the Penders Saga?

I would imagine they would have to change a lot of things to avoid any close similarities to Penders' own stories.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

Or IDW actually knows what they're doing and could stomp out Penders if he tried any shit.

There's that too. Didn't he try suing them for reprints of the Star Trek comics?

1 minute ago, Shaddy the Zaphod said:

I can't find any source on a lawsuit involving the star trek comics, only that he worked on them.

I remember him tweeting about IDW owing him money, but I may have been mistaken with the suing part.