Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

36 minutes ago, WanderingBleats said:

Yeah, that's pretty much all I'm saying. It just feels a little awkward.

It's especially funny because Flynn said in yesterday's Bumblekast that Sonic would be sad if Eggman were killed. Seeing this panel the very next day feels like a bit of tonal whiplash.

Granted, he barely knows Starline, so that may factor in too.

That's the funny part. 

Eggman literally unleashes eldritch and demonic horrors on a constant basis, but because he does good things sometimes, he's ok in Sonic's book.

Starline though? Naw fuck that guy. 

• Chuckle 2

9 minutes ago, Razule said:

Ah man, "Big Oof" is trending now, lol

Interesting indeed. Looking forward to see how the rest of this issue plays out and if

Spoiler

there were any consequences to Belle interfacing with Metal Sonic earlier...

A random thought, but it would have been amusing if that was misspelled as "Bid Oof", but I digress...

Anyway, congrats on this topic reaching 1000 pages!

16mkfs.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

50 minutes ago, MGA_Gamer said:

1000 pages. Did anybody here believe it would get this far?

Considering that we reached 250 before 1st issue... yes, a bit.

But it is a nice round number after round 50 issues. That's kinda cool.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Chuckle 2

I'm honestly not surprised that we reached 1,000 pages for this series. There was bound to be some kind of conversations going on, especially since this comic book series is dedicated to Sonic the Hedgehog, which for better or worse, gains lots of discussions.  And the "big oof" comment?  Eh, that's why I avoid Twitter like the plague.  People are always complaining about something on that platform.

6 hours ago, SanPolo4389 said:

https://twitter.com/IDWSonicNews/status/1551944238736211970?s=20&t=H5GKUsycr-_NoKaozsi-PA

And now I’m guessing people are going to pissy at Sonic’s “Big Oof” line. 

I'm glad Surge is alive

And regarding Sonic's indifference to Starline's death, maybe after having fought so many times and seeing his enemies and friends resurface he's not so convinced that Starline is actually dead.

It kind of reminds me that in an issue of Archie, Shadow had returned shortly after he had supposedly died and the reaction of one of the Chaotix (I think it was Vector) was "Ooh Cool!".

Oh yes it's normal for people to die and rise out of nowhere.

Edited by SharkSoldier
interpretive mistake

Okay, I'll concede, it is a bit odd for Sonic to preaching forgiveness one issue and saying "big oof" to someone uncomfortably telling him a guy died the next. And I don't mind the specific choice of phrase myself, but.. it is the kind of thing that would annoy people. Maybe Flynn should read the room a bit

I think it's funny, but people are annoying, so maybe the boring option would've been better. It gets talking about the comic though, so that's something.

Spoiler

If I was in Flynn's shoes, I would annoy people on purpose

11 minutes ago, Razule said:

...so maybe the boring option would've been better.

What is the boring option?

"That's rough", or just..."rough".

For Sonic to just say "Wow".

Or for Sonic to say "Amazing".

Big oof is fine in the context of the full panel. Belle tells him EVERYTHING starline did that lead to the events of 50 to try to off them and he still got whooped on by eggman and lost in the end. Sonic is like big oof he went through all that and got destroyed in the end. Plus why should Sonic remotely feel bad for what happened to him when in the last big saga he was fine with eggman randomly tossing him into a portal to who knows where.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Pretty much.

"Hm."

"Huh."

"Dang."

It’s more of the fact that that Belle looked upset that she saw somebody die and Sonic’s response just comes off as “wut?”

30 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Hmmmm, that would have been a nice throwback to this: 

I'm not reading that panel half as sarcastically as some people seem to be latching onto.

I kinda feel like he's saying it with a wince - considering he just had a moment to himself watching Surge get buried, it kinda just drudges up ground he had just left behind a few mins ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I'm not reading that panel half as sarcastically as some people seem to be latching onto.

I kinda feel like he's saying it with a wince - considering he just has a moment to himself watching Surge get buried, it kinda just drudges up ground he had just left behind a few mins ago.

I agree with this, it doesn't show his face, but yeah, that is a good possibility.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'd help if we could've seen his facial expression. As it is, there's room to assume he's completely straight-faced or smirking. 

i dunno about fixing it

Just, in general, if you don't get the chance to make fun of awkwardly written lines every so often what is even the point of being a Sonic fan? It's been a cherished tradition for decades.

• Thumbs Up 4

Tbh, I read it a little "aw that sucks for him, but I sure don't care!" He's got no reason to really pity Starline. Eggman's at least shown bits of humanity and has worked with Sonic in the past. What's more. he actually reminisced about being Mr. Tinker with slight fondness. So on top of game moments, we have Mr. Tinker; Sonic now knows that Eggman is capable of being good. If anything, now it's a matter of time before Eggman decides to retire.

Starline has none of that and less going for him. Sonic has his philosophy, but I don't think that means he's sad when a crappy person dies. I think it's similar to those who were playing "Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead" after hearing the news of Margaret Thatcher's death, you know what I mean?

1000 pages. That's amazing. 😃

... and the "Big Oof" discussion is amusing. 😆

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic saying "Big oof" is

1. not cringe
  2. not ooc
  3. (most importantly) funny

Also I am seeing people have issue with that line specifically because it's said in response to Belle who is very upset but it's not like she had much love for Starline lol

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

Eggman's at least shown bits of humanity and has worked with Sonic in the past. What's more. he actually reminisced about being Mr. Tinker with slight fondness. So on top of game moments, we have Mr. Tinker; Sonic now knows that Eggman is capable of being good. If anything, now it's a matter of time before Eggman decides to retire.

Starline has none of that and less going for him. Sonic has his philosophy, but I don't think that means he's sad when a crappy person dies. I think it's similar to those who were playing "Ding-Dong the Witch is Dead" after hearing the news of Margaret Thatcher's death, you know what I mean?

So now Eggman is more of a good guy then Starline? Since when? He’s just as bad, if not worse. Who had the idea of the metal virus? The guy only remembered Mr. Tinker as a relaxing experience, he didn’t give a damn about being good. Sonic pesters him to “get a clue and come around”.  But Eggman never once “reformed”. He got brain damage; it’s different, and equating the two is weird.

Hell, Sonic himself should understand this since the exact same thing happened to him when he became "Mr. Needlemouse". Nobody treats him like a hidden part of Sonic's personality. So why is Eggman the exception? They are not the same character. And it's annoying that people keep treating them like the same character.

And these game moments you're referring to are literally just Eggman acting in his own self-interest. He's not doing them to be a good person, and the intent behind his actions are important, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, when Sonic lost his memory he didn't turn into a villain. He was just a chill guy. Eggman getting bonked on the head and becoming a kindly old man must mean.. something. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just read #51. I'm split on it.

On one side it's great looking, fun quips, Eggy is competency, Metal is cool.

It's just... the story started with heroes stuck in Eggman city, and end with heroes stuck in Eggman city. It feels like we haven't moved an inch.

Not every issue must be plot-driven, but it's not much character exploration either. It's mostly some action that (almost) went nowhere.

• Thumbs Up 1