Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Think coming off the back of issue 50 most things would feel like a bit of a letdown? They don’t feel like they got very far (Eggman’s city is vast) but the story has some developments in the form of complications now:

Spoiler

1. Sonic is injured which is gonna put a spanner in the work for getting out, plus 2. Kit is just regaining consciousness, and they don’t exactly know how he’s gonna react to finding himself in the Hero camp.

2 hours ago, Speedi said:

So now Eggman is more of a good guy then Starline? Since when? He’s just as bad, if not worse. Who had the idea of the metal virus? The guy only remembered Mr. Tinker as a relaxing experience, he didn’t give a damn about being good. Sonic pesters him to “get a clue and come around”.  But Eggman never once “reformed”. He got brain damage; it’s different, and equating the two is weird.

Hell, Sonic himself should understand this since the exact same thing happened to him when he became "Mr. Needlemouse". Nobody treats him like a hidden part of Sonic's personality. So why is Eggman the exception? They are not the same character. And it's annoying that people keep treating them like the same character.

And these game moments you're referring to are literally just Eggman acting in his own self-interest. He's not doing them to be a good person, and the intent behind his actions are important, too.

Than you are only reading at surface level and going off that.

Eggman was shown to have actually have a moment almost going back to missing being Mr Tinker. In reading and comics you have to read more than the words but expressions and pauses in lines. Eggman looking down remembered that people actually LIKED him. Kids liked him. He still got to do what he does best. Build things. But instead of tearing down the world he was fixing things for people, building things for the kids and they appreciated him for it. He missed that and had pause on what he was doing for a brief moment but came back as nah that was in the past forget about that. Sonic saw this but knew he could not break through to him anymore but still hopes one day he will come back. Starline was the cause of all the things you listed.

As for Belle being upset seeing someone die? Welcome to the party its a growing experience if your going to be around Sonic. He killed biolizard, rammed himself through gaias eye, had no issue with starline being randomly tossed into a portal. He was shot into space by eggman and while Amy did cry Tails stood up to face eggman without pause. Its just something their world consist of and now that shes seen it she can grow from it.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, caitash said:

Hide contents

1. Sonic is injured which is gonna put a spanner in the work for getting out, plus

2. Kit is just regaining consciousness, and they don’t exactly know how he’s gonna react to finding himself in the Hero camp.

Dang,  1 more post of delay and 1st review of 51th issue would be on 1001 page... I'm putting too much thought into this "neatness", do I?

And both things you said, happen on the last page. 2nd didn't happen yet honestly. I just don't get why faff around, why not start the issue with 2nd thing happening.

Well I figured things weren't going to be as good as #50, so I'm not too disappointed. Its clearly the 1st half of them escaping the city, and the next issue will probably be when it happens.

But boy do I hate the monthly format of comics for this exact reason. Its like you're getting half of a story arc every month.

12 hours ago, Darkvizardberrytan said:

Than you are only reading at surface level and going off that.

Eggman was shown to have actually have a moment almost going back to missing being Mr Tinker. In reading and comics you have to read more than the words but expressions and pauses in lines. Eggman looking down remembered that people actually LIKED him. Kids liked him. He still got to do what he does best. Build things. But instead of tearing down the world he was fixing things for people, building things for the kids and they appreciated him for it. He missed that and had pause on what he was doing for a brief moment but came back as nah that was in the past forget about that. Sonic saw this but knew he could not break through to him anymore but still hopes one day he will come back. Starline was the cause of all the things you listed.

As for Belle being upset seeing someone die? Welcome to the party its a growing experience if your going to be around Sonic. He killed biolizard, rammed himself through gaias eye, had no issue with starline being randomly tossed into a portal. He was shot into space by eggman and while Amy did cry Tails stood up to face eggman without pause. Its just something their world consist of and now that shes seen it she can grow from it.

Yep, basically what I was saying. Eggman liked being Mr. Tinker, and it means he's got a capacity to be good. Sonic was more than happy to leave him to that life. Starline just came in to ruin everything and Sonic didn't have enough (nuanced) history to feel sorry to him.

I hope Belle sticks around. I have a feeling something's up if Eggman let her go after their confrontation.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Well I figured things weren't going to be as good as #50, so I'm not too disappointed. Its clearly the 1st half of them escaping the city, and the next issue will probably be when it happens.

But boy do I hate the monthly format of comics for this exact reason. Its like you're getting half of a story arc every month.

Yeah, that's why I tend to wait until these issues come out into an ultimate collection volume, so that way I don't have to wait every few months just to see how the story would pan out.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Yeah, that's why I tend to wait until these issues come out into an ultimate collection volume, so that way I don't have to wait every few months just to see how the story would pan out.

I should really start doing this tbh. 

Tempting, but I hate spoilers, so I would have to leave this forum, or at least this topic. So I'll stick to monthly.

11 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

SAAAAAME saaaaame. Only real shame is that the last collection goes up to like issue 20, midst of the metal virus saga. Still extremely tempted to just get them digitally and get the ultimate collection volumes just to have hard copies for my collection!

14 hours ago, Sapphirine Wind said:

Yep, basically what I was saying. Eggman liked being Mr. Tinker, and it means he's got a capacity to be good. Sonic was more than happy to leave him to that life. Starline just came in to ruin everything and Sonic didn't have enough (nuanced) history to feel sorry to him.

I hope Belle sticks around. I have a feeling something's up if Eggman let her go after their confrontation.

Also, "Mr. Tinker" is a persona Eggman's own subconscious came up with while he had amnesia. If he was just inherently ontologically evil, then even without his memories, his personality would just naturally default to being cruel and ruthless - which isn't what happened.

Somewhere in Eggman's brain is the capacity to be kind and compassionate. Which, in its own way, almost makes Eggman worse than if he were some complete psychopath that was devoid of empathy. A psychopath at least has the excuse of being incapable of love. Eggman is capable of love, but chooses to be an evil, power-hungry, life-disregarding villain for his own self-centered ambitions anyway.

• Thumbs Up 6

People are debating Sonic's reaction to Starline's death and I'm debating whether Metal Sonic would be strong enough to take down the Final Weapon, a Boss Badnik that Super Sonic couldn't even damage without using its own attacks to hurt itself.

Then again, without the Master Emerald powering it, I believe the ship wasn't as strong as it was in the past.

2 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I'm debating whether Metal Sonic would be strong enough to take down the Final Weapon, a Boss Badnik that Super Sonic couldn't even damage without using its own attacks to hurt itself.

Well, that thing is almost 20 years old. Maybe it's rusty

• Chuckle 2

Guessing the tweet is about the reveal of the third IDW Collection book. Collects issues #21-32 and the 2020 Annual. March 14th 2023, $60.

FYyoXjNXwAEFZ2X?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Thumbs Up 6

Just read 51. Again its the details in not just what characters say but the little details to show a scene. Metal Sonic being visibly angry his "dad" did not let him go and attack Sonic was great. Him clenching his fist and shaking in anger was a nice tough.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:58 PM, Silvereyes said:

Guessing the tweet is about the reveal of the third IDW Collection book. Collects issues #21-32 and the 2020 Annual. March 14th 2023, $60.

FYyoXjNXwAEFZ2X?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I'm really loving these collection covers by Evan Stanley!  She really captures these characters so well!  I already got the first two collections already!

• Thumbs Up 1

Covers B and RI for issue #53. 

FZIDXSYUUAECGvV?format=jpg&name=small

FZIDnmoUcAAIknB?format=jpg&name=small

Spoiler

Can't believe Whisper is a jobber lol

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Covers B and RI for issue #53. 

FZIDXSYUUAECGvV?format=jpg&name=small

FZIDnmoUcAAIknB?format=jpg&name=small

Reveal hidden contents

Can't believe Whisper is a jobber lol

So Surge will finally meet Whisper eh?  I wonder how this will turn out?

Judging from the cover and how she basically blames Sonic for being the way she thinks/ behaves I'd poorly for Whisper.

Makes sense that Surge would go after Sonic's buddies first after their "tussle". Maybe it's because Surge is pissed at how casual Sonic was about fighting her so targeting his friends could be her trying to get a rile out of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

It wasn't all to long ago that they danced around outright claiming Marine giving Sonic the name Mr. Needlemouse....

Cool. Was a little worried about her.