Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

23 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Blaze walking on lava and Knuckles being involved?  This is looking like a great issue!

Fire walk with me... OK, movie references aside, this is probably one of the most badass panels we've seen in IDW. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Should Blaze even be able to walk on Lava? That's not fire, its liquid rock. I could understand Her not getting burned, but she shouldn't be able to manipulate that right?

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Should Blaze even be able to walk on Lava? That's not fire, its liquid rock. I could understand Her not getting burned, but she shouldn't be able to manipulate that right?

The One Piece fan in me is definitely confused. 

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

In the game (S3&K), Sonic can walk on lava too as long as he has a flame shield... Blaze can generate fire by default, so maybe she can copy the effects of the flame shield and walk on lava. I mean, by game logic it kinda makes sense, but this is not a game so I don't know.

• Thumbs Up 2

Blaze and Knuckles are talking about stuff I’ve been making a case on for years. I feel like the writers are reading my older posts…

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm fairly certain you're not the first one to think of this. People have been making comparisons between Knuckles and Blaze for years.

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I'm fairly certain you're not the first one to think of this. People have been making comparisons between Knuckles and Blaze for years.

I’m fairly certain I was definitely one of the earliest ones making a case on them—mainly Knuckles—adhering their duties and not shirking them off without strong reasons, and definitely the most vocal over it and how things like his island serves as added security for his duties. For all those comparisons, people were willing to ignore them and desire removing those points of comparison with Knuckles for lame reasons of “being expected.”

I’m glad this is actually being touched on and addressed in-universe more.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

You weren't, I'll leave it at that.

I was. If the forums weren’t wiped back in 2009, I would’ve pulled up my old Character Jihad topic from the Way Back Machine I made around 2005-06 where that discussion kicked off on these forums. And you’re welcome to ask @Tornado to vouch for that.

So many great team ups in this annual. I loved seeing so many characters who never interact with one another...well, interact with one another. I think the Omega/Gemerl story was my favorite of the bunch, but the facial expressions in the Rouge/Tangle story were on a whole other level. Good stuff.

• Thumbs Up 4

Spoiler

FaYjfmrUEAMgdJf?format=jpg&name=largeFaYjgqkUsAAqMjv?format=jpg&name=medium

Daniel Barnes: thank you for indulging my nerdy transformers reference, @thomas_rsvd

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

I would say that my favorite annual is still, probably, the second one if only for the subject matter but this one might actually be the best one. I love this game of mix and match they're doing with the characters.

Spoiler

I appreciate that Silver, Blaze, and Knuckles' whole situations are being addressed somewhere outside of the Bumblekast. I've gone from someone who didn't really like or appreciate Blaze because her popularity annoyed me to someone who does find themselves genuinely happy to see her when she shows up. Growing up has its perks. I can appreciate more things and not let petty bullshit weigh me down as much any longer. Even Marine was a little endearing here. Hopefully this means she'll be able to stick around for the next conflict that arises now that they've got an excuse for her to just be here.

The "Join me" moment with Omega and Gemerl legit caught me off guard. It's so easy to forget that he's a member of Team Dark so when the "dark" comes out and shit's actually scary and not funny with Omega anymore, it's like a whiplash of emotion for me. I do love where it ends up. The robo-bro-fist is wonderful.

Hero Camp felt like something you'd see from a Sonic cartoon. Maybe Sonic X? I can't say Boom. It wasn't quippy or wacky enough for that. Cream shouting "GET EM" was surprising though. I know she does that but in this context it felt like she was issuing a death sentence.

The Silver story was great for me especially though. It's so weird how he went from someone I didn't care about to one of my top 10, almost literally from things FINALLY clicking for me when I saw his Team Sonic Racing characterization. The faces he makes are so adorable and the little actions he takes are very funny and cute. Espio tells him to calm down and breathe and he's got these little, almost emoji like cartoon reactions when he does it. It's wonderful.

Meanwhile, Espio may be a straight man archetype but he's a Chaotix straight man so he says off-kilter stuff like "What are ANY of us doing here?" while looking up at the sky when Silver asks his question. It got a laugh out of me. That hug at the end and Espio's surprise by it was the icing on the cake though. My sweet future boy is so earnest and open with his feelings, he didn't even think twice about it. 

The Jet story was just really funny. "Pretend you're me and not you and you'll do good" is so unapologetically absurd. The dude has a picture of him and Sonic that he ripped the Sonic part off of in his room. It begins with him microwaving a calzone. I dunno. It's so scrappy. I can't help but marvel at how jerky teenager-ish it all is. The best part was seeing him looking at the card from his dad though. It's a happy reminder that the Sonic characters can indeed have parents... they just need to originate from the games.

Whisper hugging that airboard was also pretty good. 

Shockingly little to say about the final story aside from how cute the pouty faces were. I was wondering if Tangle was legit there to try and steal an emerald but no. That would have been cool if she had gone for it though. Also, love that Rouge is still devious in the end. It's nice that the friendly banter can be rounded out by her just doing what she does. That's how you do it. You stay charming and then you do what you gotta do.

Yeah, this annual managed to fit in a shocking amount of the main cast in it. Of course, Shadow isn't here because no one wants to write for him. His teammates are here but not him. They said "Ain't touchin' that with a 10 foot pole. No sir." I don't blame them.

• Thumbs Up 2

Until SEGA loosens up their mandates over Shadow, we won't be seeing Shadow in the comics for awhile.

Never really thought of pairing Jet with Whisper, but it's actually a really funny combo. A quiet, focused professional and an arrogant, egotistical loudmouth. 😂

• Thumbs Up 3

Makes sense Shadow wouldn't be there. The annuals are supposed to be filled with little feel-good stories, and no one is allowed to use him in a way that he doesn't come off as inherently mean-spirited without being really careful about it.

Could pitch "Shadow saves a Chao Garden" and SEGA'd say "Shadow does not protect the weak without something to gain". 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Controversial opinion: I didn't like Jet's story

The premise felt incredibly cheap, and the fact that none of the other Babylon Rogues appeared felt like a huge wasted opportunity.

On the other hand, I like all the other stories! These slice-of-life stories are doing a lot for most of these characters.

Suffice to say, Rough and Tumble are winning my heart, little by little.

Spoiler

rough-tumble.thumb.jpg.273d6e4f0b9dae6d3711349bd7bb3360.jpg

2 minutes ago, UberHoax said:

Controversial opinion: I didn't like Jet's story

The premise felt incredibly cheap, and the fact that none of the other Babylon Rogues appeared felt like a huge wasted opportunity.

On the other hand, I like all the other stories! These slice-of-life stories are doing a lot for most of these characters.

Suffice to say, Rough and Tumble are winning my heart, little by little.

Reveal hidden contents

rough-tumble.thumb.jpg.273d6e4f0b9dae6d3711349bd7bb3360.jpg

This is not a controversial opinion I have seen multiple complaints about it.

You didn't bring up it making Jet look incredibly stupid or the dialogue feel like it was AI generated.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tangle looks like she completely lost her will to live in the last couple of panels and it's legitimately some of the funniest shit I've ever seen.

Spoiler

Illustration5.jpg.20c660e027c2afb1fc304e6a8d25b32f.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 3
  • Too Many Rings 1

Hero Camp might be the worst thing to come out of this comic to me and I tend to like these cutesey stories, but I hate the premise since I don't like Cream being dumbed down and her previous accomplishments or relationships being brushed aside.

Yeah she is a kid and I really don't think she should not be a kid, but she is written like a generic kid character here.

Also the art is some of the worst I have seen from this comic, yeah it is pretty okay if we are going by the fandom, but even there I could easily find a number of fancomics with better art and writing. I think that's the biggest source of anger I have with it, it feels worse than what I typically find in fan stuff in one way or another.

Usually IDW does pretty well in the art if the writing isn't on point, but this is the rare case where both were off big time.

• Thumbs Up 1