Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Nope, the full quote from my link explains it.

"Sally was a fox/squirrel. At least that's what we told ourselves. There was a bit of ambiguity around the office on that one. But we were so preoccupied with the master storyline, that those kinds of questions sort of fell by the wayside. the important thing was the character, not the design. She's one of my favorite characters. Not half and half, just nebulous. We weren't really sure either, but it didn't seem important at the time. In hindsight, we probably should have decided. Her father, I think he was a Fox. So - mom might have been a squirrel. "

She's literally a Fox/Squirrel hybrid. 

Huh. Sounds like a far more noble version of "They Just Didn't Care."

Though King Acorn really did look way more like a fox than anything remotely rodent-like.

17 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Not exactly. A chipmunk is a ground squirrel, but ground squirrel is the catch-all name for the Marmotini tribe so can be a variety of different animals in it. In fact, in terms of common names, chipmunk, ground squirrel and prairie dog/marmots are often used to denote different sized rodents in that tribe, with chipmunk being the smaller members and ground squirrel being more medium sized. 

Huh. Interesting. 

3 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Bumblekast: Ian Flynn insists that not everything is gonna appear by issue 1. If a character or an element doesnt appear doesnt mean he hate a character. Give him time. He doesnt want to frontload the book with so much stuff that it becomes unreadable. It's still issue 1 and it's still the beginning, we don't want 20 years worth of complicated lore shoved in one issue.

He also stresses that any characters that are not game-canon can only appear if Sega agrees.

So if a certain character doesnt show up on the first issue, don't spam! Wether it's on the facebook group or here. (I'm looking at you Sally fans).

Agreed, there are priorities, and those are the main characters and telling a good story. I have hope that my favorites will return someday. Also... because Ian answered my question! He said that Breezie is on the same boat as the Freedom Fighters, and any non game character is on that boat, if Sega agrees, Ian will be able to bring them back. He also didn't want to disclose the new origins for Bunnie since he may be able to use them in the future (very interesting too, it would make sense if she was from the Sol Dimension, considering there is a Southern Island there), I'd love to see it, as well as my favorites like Breezie, Von Sclemmer and Eclipse, I'm positive I'll see them again in a comic one day.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Jack said:

He also didn't want to disclose the new origins for Bunnie since he may be able to use them in the future (very interesting too, it would make sense if she was from the Sol Dimension, considering there is a Southern Island there),

That is news to me. Actually interesting given how it could explain why Bunnie arrived in the Sol Dimension; though in face-value it seems like it came out left field. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

It's weird but I can sorta see why they'd do it that way. It may have made it "easier" to get these issues finished in time to come out in the same month. Plus it'll introduce us to a good chunk (if not all) of the artists that'll presumably be regulars.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm confused, is this artist just for one of the variant covers or the pencils of the issue? Anyway, it looks amazing! Waaay better than the Green Hill variant. However this idea of focusing on 2 characters for each issue is weird, and one is always Sonic, works for a game, but I'm not convinced here since it's supposed to be a story focused comic, with loads of characters and interactions. . I hope more characters appear in the first arc.

And WOAH, Entertainment Weekly dedicated an article to Sonic!

• Thumbs Up 2

I wonder who is the fourth "classic ally" of Sonic. I'm nearly sure that the first three are Tails, Knuckles and Amy (and it's kinda obvious), but I wonder who will be the last one.

Just now, Kazhnuz said:

I wonder who is the fourth "classic ally" of Sonic. I'm nearly sure that the first three are Tails, Knuckles and Amy (and it's kinda obvious), but I wonder who will be the last one.

Sally/Ricky or the Wolf Avatar. I would be shocked if it was Metal Sonic or Shadow.

• Fist Bump 1

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Shadow. Classic in that context might not refer to the classic era, and Shadow's character is now 17 years old. 

I'm guessing it's Sally/Ricky, if it isn't her, it's still most likely the one in the silhouette for the big character tease. But I doubt it's a new character, in the article they say "characters new to the canon", but since it's supposed to be a big reveal, it should be a returning character. So, not Shadow.

24.jpg&w=1100&q=85

BOY, this looks b e a u t i f u l, i love the expressions, the artstyle reminds me of one cover Evan Stanley did, the variant for SU#96 iirc.

#2days2go

• Thumbs Up 2

That's an amazing cover.

But, I don't like the logo style they're using. I wish it was more like Archie's:

MbopOC4.jpg?1

No super thick outline, no red bar around "The Hedgehog" and it changed colors for the different covers.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I find this cover cute beyond the capacity for rational thought.

Most likely because anytime I see Sonic and Tails working together it just makes me beam with happiness. Though, it does suck that the next thing that comes to mind is Tails cowering in fear of Chaos in Forces. It's like an annoying record scratch in my head.

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, Marcello said:

That's an amazing cover.

But, I don't like the logo style they're using. I wish it was more like Archie's.

If they're trying to tie it into the main series, or at least base it on it more closely then the logo works then.

Though, maybe they should remove the white border around it. That way it'll blend in better and wouldn't cover the entire space it takes. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

You know what this cover really needs though? A huge, gross, and garish looking Riverdale banner on top of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 8

11 minutes ago, BxB-Meister said:

If they're trying to tie it into the main series, or at least base it on it more closely then the logo works then.

Though, maybe they should remove the white border around it. That way it'll blend in better and wouldn't cover the entire space it takes. 

This comic is its own continuity.

And the games don't even use this logo.

• Thumbs Up 3