Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

Forces’s existence indicates that ST at least want to do darker stories involving the character, and regardless, it’s more sinister than Lost World, Colors, Gens, 4, or even Mania in feel. 

Maybe. But they're not quite there yet. They still want to play it a bit safe. This does give me hope, however.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

2 hours ago, Mister X said:

I feel like they might want to emphasize that this is a new era for Sanic comics

You mean the last half a year, where literally all we have heard them say is "this is new", isn't enough?

• Nice Smile 1

40 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Forces’s existence indicates that ST at least want to do darker stories involving the character, and regardless, it’s more sinister than Lost World, Colors, Gens, 4, or even Mania in feel. 

The result and the reception was a trainwreck, though. Since we know how ST/SoJ works, that might give a direct change of pace...

54 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Shes not half bad. With a little tweaking here and there she could be really great. It literally at times looks just like what was drawn around that time. A few of the faces are a tad off *creams* but otherwise thats some work id be happy to read. Im sure IDW is going to have a pretty good team. Im guessing they will do like archie and switch artist every now and again?

2 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Shes not half bad. With a little tweaking here and there she could be really great. It literally at times looks just like what was drawn around that time. A few of the faces are a tad off *creams* but otherwise thats some work id be happy to read.

She only did the pencilling for the Team Fighters part of that issue (the stuff involving Sonic), while the Team Freedom portion was handled by other artists.

Nevertheless, it's great to hear that her work's getting recognised by Aaron! I'm interested to see where this may lead.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

Man I love Sonic's face in that image. It just reeks of that classic Sonic attitude that he's known for. At least IDW's nailing Sonic's personality so far.

I don' know, it looks try hard market based as all the other sonic expressions through out the years. It be nice if Sonic had a serious expression once in a while, like in forces.

50 minutes ago, Korke said:

The result and the reception was a trainwreck, though. Since we know how ST/SoJ works, that might give a direct change of pace...

If the lighthearted games that had a sour reception took a few years to change the tone...

Holy SHIT I'm late to the party.

10 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

This looks soooo good!

That's a pretty nice cover, the style looks cool and the coloring partially reminds me of the way Evan Stanley colors the covers. Who colored this cover tho?

I do agree that the logo could use some work however.

This is what happens when I'm at work all freaking day!

I LOVE THAT COVER! I love everything about this. I'm so so so excited!

So do IDW do international subscription or shipping on any other titles? I know they said Sonic information on ordering and the like would be discussed when the full reveal happens in a couple days, but it might be a good gauge on if Sonic will get that treatment or not if other titles have. I'm hoping so, going through an online comic shop or traipsing into the city to my old haunt both aren't ideas I'm fond of, but if I must then I must I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, dylan tix said:

IDW doesn't have a subscription service. They do pre-orders. At least that's how I understand it.

Are those pre-orders just for USA and Canada as a lot of things tend to be?

• Thumbs Up 2

It's in part a new character, it's a new Sally. I doubt they are hyping an entirely new character, especially when it looks so similar to StC Sally. I'm sure new characters will appear in the first issues, the description for Fallout mentions it, but they won't be part of the duo of Sonic and his classic allies. Plus we do know there are 4 classic allies.

11 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

You mean the last half a year, where literally all we have heard them say is "this is new", isn't enough?

But they haven't really shown anything new yet, just some promo art and covers with game characters. I just meant that they would probably want to hype up an all new character to basically say "see? We aren't just relying on the old stuff."

9 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

If the lighthearted games that had a sour reception took a few years to change the tone...

The only game of that tone which had bad sales and reception was Lost World.

Colors is widely considered a good game (for a reason beyond my understanding because the gameplay is just like Forces)

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

What do you think about different artists for the first 4 issues (normally there's 1 artist every arc think).

I'm not shocked. TMNT has started doing five Week events and every issue has a different artist or sometimes a team of artists. It helps things move along brisker.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

I seen this artist's fanarts before! She's amazing! I especially love the christmas art with all the characters reunited,

https://drawloverlala.deviantart.com/art/Merry-Christmas-652821994

Cream chatting it up with Mephiles, lol.

Nice to see Lily, Chaos, Chocola, Nega, Tower, Elise, Q. Cumber, and Shade made it to the party too.

• Thumbs Up 4

12 hours ago, NegaMetallix said:

She only did the pencilling for the Team Fighters part of that issue (the stuff involving Sonic), while the Team Freedom portion was handled by other artists.

Nevertheless, it's great to hear that her work's getting recognised by Aaron! I'm interested to see where this may lead.

In that case all is good.  They did a great job!

I see the first few issues being light hearted with jokes. Typical idw flare for a bit but hopefully it gets more action oriented and serious over time

Here's a thought what if the mystery character is kinda sorta Sally but not really? Like she takes the Reporter angel from STC and some design aesthetics from Archie/SatAM and give her an overhaul. Maybe rename her Ricky Acorn as a nod to her base. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I can only imagine how goddamn pissed SatAM/Archie fans would be if IDW Sally took more from StC than their media.

...I actually kinda want to see that.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Nice Smile 1